IC25 and Tenta's Fatties for First Campaign HQ

No love for Yokozuna? (ok, I'll take all the abuse now)

Yeah, I'm all for the big guys winning this. Andre and Big Show so often get discriminated because of situational losses, though at their peak, they were near unstoppable. Vader is ridiculously dominant. It will take a top tier guy to take him out, if at all. Not a huge fan of Bigelow, but that mainly has to do with his 90s WWF run, and my lack of enthusiasm with football players in the squared circle (they obviously belong in a rectangle...).

I'll concede to Vader. I'll even consider backing him to the Finals, because he is just that good. (no need to tell Irish that, though)

But under no circumstance will I accept Andre the Giant as anything other than a side-show circus freak who only got by off his size, and look. I'm sure I'll take heat for this very comment; but the guy, in the WWF - which is the very source people would likely be using to push him in this tournament, had barely little more talent than the Ultimate Warrior.. and the charisma of a doorknob.

Now, as for other Super Heavyweight's I'd consider pushing..

The Big Show isn't someone I'd consider worthy of winning this, or even making it to the Elite 8.. but I'd suggest he may get deeper than some could think. And also, Yokozuna. I would greatly back Yokozuna, because in his true dominating period.. he was, without question, unstoppable. (unless salt in the eyes is one of the gimmicks, these days.)

Vader is one I'll be backing throughout. He was a beast and dominant in whatever country he was in. It'll be hard to knock him out of the competition.

If I'm not mistaken, three of these four men met in a ladder match last year, and Bam Bam was in a variation of a First Blood match with Ric Flair. There's no doubt that these monsters of the ring have some staying power in these tournaments... but do they have what it takes to go all the way?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I've only been here for a little over a year, and I only know the results of last years tournament, but I'd be willing to venture that none of these monsters have ever won the tournament.

These four guys were at one point in their career or another built as unstoppable monsters. That means somebody was going to stop them.

Andre the Giant was undefeated in the WWF for 15 years, and only Superman in the form of Hulk Hogan could defeat him.

Bam Bam Bigelow was never quite the monster Andre was, but he defeated the likes of King Kong Bundy, Tatanka, and One Man Gang, three more monsters.

When Vader debuted in the WWF, he was as vicious as any man, leading attacks on almost anyone who got in his way.

And of course, Big Show is pushed as an unstoppable giant every time the WWE can't find anything for him to do.

While all these men are without a doubt some of the most entertaining and greatest wrestlers in history, they all had their foils. They would have it all, often in times thanks to a helpful manager mastermind, and it seemed like nobody would be able to stop them. Unfortunately for the giants, someone always did.

Point is, these guy's are monsters, and nobody likes a monster without a monster slayer. I believe this is reflected in kayfabe and will be reflected in the voting here in this tournament. The fans want to see the little guy win, and I think the voters participating in this tournament will feel the same way.

I predict all of these four competitors will get very far in the tournament, and maybe we'll even see some make it to the final four this year, but I don't think any of them will win.

No love for Yokozuna? (ok, I'll take all the abuse now)

No abuse needed, what an oversight!!! How could anyone put together a list of primo super heavyweights and miss the biggest one of them all???

At one time tipping the scale at a whopping 750 pounds, the one they call Yokozuna was a 2 time WWE Champion, combining those reigns for a solid year. He was one of the last good foreign heels, and he had Mr. Fuji by his side.... MR FUJI FOR CHRIST SAKES! Even before he literally became the size of a Macy's day parade, at 550 pounds, the guy moved around more gracefully then Batista. Great story teller and I am pretty sure he can eat any other man in this thread in... max.. 2 bites (except Andre, because well, Andre wasn't human, he was a titan, like from Clash of the Titans or the God of War game).

So if you are going to support a rather large man, why not pick the largest of them all, Yokozuna.... BANZAI!!!!!!

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I've only been here for a little over a year, and I only know the results of last years tournament, but I'd be willing to venture that none of these monsters have ever won the tournament.

Ignorance forgiven. Welcome to your 2nd tournament!

Vader made the final four just 2 years back, and lost by ONE VOTE to Randy Savage in a classic. He has made the final 16 all 3 years. Bigelow always seems to make a decent showing because of his versatility. Andre generally isn't so lucky. This is the first year I am campaigning for Wight, ironically, because of how much I learned about him last year while fighting AGAINST him.

These four guys were at one point in their career or another built as unstoppable monsters. That means somebody was going to stop them.

Sure, but think about it this way - Vader was only ever thoroughly defeated by two men - Flair and Hogan. Yet neither were undefeated against the man from the Rocky Mountains, so that's far from a lock. Vader owned men like Sting and Cactus Jack, and really dominated Shawn Michaels at SummerSlam '96.

Bigelow was never billed as unstoppable. He was always billed as an amazing athlete at over 300 lbs. He was also a 2-time state wrestling champion from Neptune, NJ back in the 70's, so his technical prowess is sound.

Wight was billed as unstoppable, and in 1996, he was. His major effective losses are against men named Goldberg, Lesnar, Nash, Austin, Undertaker, Rock, Benoit, and a handful of others. In terms of staying power, he's right up there with the most longevitous SHW's of all time. And also consider - these matches take place with each wrestler in his PRIME. That means you're getting Wight in 1996. Ouch.

Andre gets a raw deal because of the Wrestlemania 3 and after issues. His work in the 70's and 80's was stellar. He moved like a normal sized man, but was a beast. He was one of the original professionals who used their weight truly as well as he could be expected to. This isn't Gorilla Monsoon we're talking about, it's the damn 8th Wonder of the World.

While all these men are without a doubt some of the most entertaining and greatest wrestlers in history, they all had their foils. They would have it all, often in times thanks to a helpful manager mastermind, and it seemed like nobody would be able to stop them. Unfortunately for the giants, someone always did.

Every wrestler had foils. But the fact is, these 4 men were among the hardest in history to dispatch. As you astutely pointed out, it took 15 years before anyone in Vince's organization did it, and that was Hogan in the most significant match in wrestling history. Just a few years prior, Andre had dominated Hogan in less than 10 minutes at Shea Stadium, and less than a year after WM3, Andre took Hogan's title.

Vader's foils are few are far between. He's as fast and agile as most cruiserweights, as brutal as brawlers such as Hansen, Funk, and Foley, and he was technically sound enough to go move for move with men named Inoki and Fujiwara. In their home countries, mind you. He also defeated the legendary Canek IN MEXICO. Unless you're a wrestling historian, you may not realize the magnitude of that accomplishment.

Wight's foils were self-imposed, mainly issues with his weight staying under control. But who can blame him? He battled the same gigantism Andre did, and life on the road in the WWE can be tough on the body, especially when your 400+ lb frame wears faster than most. But in 1996, he was lean and amazing. He'd hit a drop kick like nobody's business.

Bigelow's foils are harder to pin down. He had agility almost on Vader's level, hitting flying moves and inziguris on a regular basis. Some of his best moments were not wins, but how he'd put over a variety of other men and put the business before himself. He was a consummate professional who really never did get his due.

Point is, these guy's are monsters, and nobody likes a monster without a monster slayer. I believe this is reflected in kayfabe and will be reflected in the voting here in this tournament. The fans want to see the little guy win, and I think the voters participating in this tournament will feel the same way

If logic prevails, Vader wins the competition, Wight makes the final 4 or 8, Bigelow makes the final 8, and Andre the final 16. Unless they meet each other, in which case it is Vader > Wight > Bigelow > Andre.

I predict all of these four competitors will get very far in the tournament, and maybe we'll even see some make it to the final four this year, but I don't think any of them will win.

Beware the mastadon.

pun2003hh said:
So if you are going to support a rather large man, why not pick the largest of them all, Yokozuna.... BANZAI!!!!!!

Last year I did, and this year I still will. I wanted to keep this to 4 guys, so I picked Wight to change it up. In last year's tournament I was Yoko's #1 supporter. He's a legend, and I still say he's in the conversation for greatest heel of all time. I may add him later, but don't worry, I didn't neglect him out of disrespect. Ask around - nobody campaigns for these guys harder than I do.

This year I may also start to campaign for Earthquake and Bill DeMott, though DeMott may not be in this.

if we're going for the SHW here you might just as well go for the greatest SHW of them all and cast your vote for the Big Boss himself, Andre the Giant. Not for nothing, but prior to Hogan's exposion as a megastar in the early to mid 80's andre was the single greatest wrestling attraction that EVER set foot in a wrestling ring. In his near 30 years as a pro, he only jobbed maybe 20 matches total, not only in the states but all around the globe. I don't really expect him to win the whole thing, but in all honesty, there are probably less than 12 wrestlers who REALLY deserve to go over him that are participating in this tourney.

VOTE ANDRE THE GIANT

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back