I reviewed "WWF Monday Night Raw" of January sixth nineteen ninety-seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadeem Ahmad

Pre-Show Stalwart
Since this computer of the "roommate" was slow and did not offer "Microsoft Word" nor "WordPad", I was posting with edited installments and the more detailed version might be posted later. Let me also warn that this review may tend to be a bit too long for the average reader. I apologize for the inconveniences, folks.

"

Program: WWF Monday Night Raw
Date: January sixth nineteen ninety-seven also known as January 6, 1997
Commentators: Vince McMahon and Jerry "The King" Lawler

The title was aired after a clip of Vader showed him to say Bret Hart will finally find out what time it is. I doubt it was shown to the live crowd and I will try not to include too many things which were not visible to the audience.

Match One: Owen Hart versus Mankind

Owen Hart was already in the ring and held the "Slammy Award". Clarence Mason stood with him and Vince mentioned that he was representing the Nation of Domination. Mankind and Paul Bearer entered the ramp. Paul was still managing him at the beginning of the year and brought out the urn. That eerie purple light was a nice touch for Mankind but was too similar to the photons which were used for the entrance of Undertaker. Mankind ran towards Owen into a "belly-to-belly suplex". Owen repeatedly punched Mankind on the floor and implemented the "Sharpshooter" as King said "This may be over quick." but Mankind rolled to the bottom rope since they were on the closer side to it. Lawler asked "What's that smell?". He thought Mankind was wearing that cologne of Michael Jordan. Vince was legitimately amused enough to chuckle.

As the referee stopped the "King of Harts" from pulling Mick away, Mankind got up to whip Owen into the turnbuckle near the "timekeeper" before running into the shoulder of Hart with the knee to keep him down momentarily. Owen already fell before getting "kneed". Vince recalled the knee hitting the head, which it probably did. Personally, I was against attacks with closed fists and was against beatings to heads and to faces.

Lawler did not think these guys were here to win any "popularity contests". Well, the flashing graphics that were displaying the "Slammy Awards" of Owen Hart certainly did not fool me. Still in the corner, Foley did shorter minor versions of the "Mandible Claw" using both hands that penetrated the open mouth of Owen during the reminder of speculation according to McMahon for a rift between him and the "brother-in-law" that was named Davey Boy Smith. I had not seen the immediate episodes before this show so I did not know of such tensions. Both athletes were getting to the feet as the double claws were not hesitating to being applied until Owen backed Mankind back into the same corner by sticking the butt out against him twice and thus broke the hold that I felt should have been illegal since I did not appreciate attacking heads nor attacking faces too much. Vince reminded that at the Royal Rumble each man would be for himself and that even the co-holders of the "Tag Team Titles", who of course were Owen Hart and British Bulldog, may go at it.

Owen went against Mankind with elbows to the head against the identical corner until he grabbed the arm to perform an "armlock" or a "hammerlock" that Triple H would say to Trish after a few years when he was teaching her to wrestle. By the identical corner I meant it was not a different side from where Mick Foley hit Hart with the knee. This maneuver led Owen to pull the very arm of Mick up and down against the shoulder when standing in front of him and while showing the back to him. As this went on, Mankind jumped vertically and wrapped both legs under the waist of Owen who did not release the arm and Hart fell backwards onto Foley as a result. During this counter, Mankind was quick enough to start the "Mandible Claw" again and kept it on with both hands on the mouth of Owen for the second series in this "matchup" and for the first time of the episode from the mat since they were lying there. It reminded me of the "Tazzmission" because the two legs had not relinquished the opponent between the instance of pulling, of dragging and of holding Owen in place. King observed "He is not where he wants to be.". A side visual displayed Bret Hart with Vader seen behind him in the background to advertise the bout of them later in the night.

Owen "elbowed" Mick with the claw on him until getting up, subsequently grasping the rope, and proceeded so he could work on the arm again to strongly tug it and to hurt the socket of the shoulder if it was there. I was not sure if there was a part that I had tried to think about so I wrote "if it was there". This was actually somewhat brilliant as I might not have been brave enough to do this reaction had I been in that position and it was by the same corner as from several seconds ago. He held on to it to bring the hand to the floor where he leaped on it by a big black boot. Vince became noticeably louder with a slight pitch but not by much to say "right on the fingers".

Mick Foley got up and ran against the ropes to get bounced towards the other direction and flipped with Owen over the other set of red, white and blue levels and they fell out of the ring. I did not have a phobia of blood but it just made me squeamish to the point that red colors were unpleasant to the sight. With the statement made, I still dug those ropes but wanted to substitute the red sections with pink paint and the white cables with black polish. Anyway Mick found a lightly blue steel chair which was a little heavy when not folded and raised it but Owen defended with a strike of the "Slammy Award" into him as the referee saw it. Vince did earlier confuse me by saying that sometimes in other matches besides this match the referees would let things go. It was just in sight of him but he made an exception. Owen did the motions of a "suplex" but landed Mankind on the metal railing towards the chest in front of him instead of falling backwards on the ground. Another shot with the belt struck Mankind who was forced in the ring and he was stomped on.

Owen kicked him at a few times, whipped him to the ropes and kicked again to get him sitting on the knees. He whipped him to the three ropes parallel to the entry and ran against the opposite ropes closer to the entrance so both of them would run back to the center and Owen "headbutted" to get him on the mat for delivering a crisp "spinning heel kick". Hart used ropes for leverage with which he stood on Foley, followed by some kicks. He put on an abdominal stretch. Mick countered with "standing hip toss" but Owen did an "enziguri" following it so Mick went out again. Owen followed and this became like a hardcore match as he tried to ram him to the railing by the commentators and was pushed into it instead. Mick threw him against it again and they went in the ring. A break for commercials started.

When the show was back on the airwaves Mankind was seen with a "swinging neckbreaker". He tried a secondary time but Owen reversed into a "DDT". During the break, Mankind slammed a hard gray tray on the head of Owen by the booth of the announcers and dropped water from it. Owen jumped from the top turnbuckle to be caught with a "Mandible Claw" by Mankind who stood up. Owen ran into the turnbuckle opposite the commentators as Mankind moved and then dropped Owen with a "piledriver" to pin him.

Rating: "B - "

I realized the constraints of time for advertising and various uncontrollable factors but the show started for the television with Owen and Mason who were standing in the ring. I did not get to hear that catchy music of the "King of Harts" and instead saw highlights of the occurring events of the premiering "WWF Shotgun Saturday Night" that included Ahmed Johnson giving the "Pearl River Plunge" to somebody on top of a white parked car outside. I guess it could have been someone from the Nation. It felt like a fight from "WWF In Your House" as they were getting personal so they did dedicate emotions but since it was not without disqualifications the referee hardly cared to stop Foley from being the legendary brawler who he was when it did not seem sensible. Also, Mick did not vary too much from the claws when it was clear that Owen was working to wear away the limbs. Quite possibly the second greatest technical wrestler of the nineties was out there to show why he had earned the "Slammy" and proved he could handle damage as he lost but put on a good defensive performance.

Jose Lothario was feeling better in a locker room and the son was helping him. He threatened to get involved at Royal Rumble if he needed to do it for the father, referencing to the scheduled "title match" between "Sycho" Sid and Shawn Michaels. Shawn confirmed he would join the team of announcers for commentary in the night.

Match Two: Tag Team Match: Diesel and Razor Ramon versus Doug Furnas and Phillip Lafon

Honky Tonk Man was with Vince and the cousin at the beginning of the show but the feed of commentating from him went on for this match. I had written "Diesel Two" and "Razor Ramon Two" because technically they were not "Fake Diesel" and "Fake Razor Ramon". Glenn Jacobs was merely portraying the character of Diesel as Kevin Nash had done prior to him and he would later be known to many fans as Kane. I did not remember the name of the guy who looked like Scott Hall though. Okay, I think Honky Tonk Man was out to just watch the match for some reason that I did not want to spoil. Brief pushes by Lafon and Diesel somehow led to Diesel being down on the ring where Diesel choked Lafon to lift him up while laying there. Razor Ramon tagged in and did a "fallaway slam". Lafon let Furnas come in after a "suplex". Furnas used an "arm drag" but Ramon fought back to hardly any avail due to the falling from a "reverse electric chair drop" and to a "belly to belly suplex" which Vince called as "sensational". He tried a "German Suplex" but Ramon orbited halfway to be found in the position of that move and whipped Philip to the ropes on the side of the commentators where Diesel got him with the knee. He tagged in, cheaply punched and let Ramon tag in. Ramon impressively took him behind with an "inverted pumphandle suplex".

After the commercials, Diesel was legal, dropped Furnas with a "sidewalk slam" and tagged Ramon in and out for "double-teaming". Maybe he did not tag back in. He missed with a "leg drop" after jumping on Furnas who was on the middle rope similarly to how Steve Austin would often do during the next year. Lafon got in legally, did three "enziguris" or three similarly revolving kicks and reversed an attempted "powerbomb" into a "sunset flip" that was assisted by Furnas. Vince said it may have been a jackknife so I guess Diesel was really trying to live up to the character. He also stated that lookalikes had a victory over the Godwinns without calling them as lookalikes at some point during this contest. Lafon caught Ramon with a "Northern Lights Suplex" if I was right or something that was darn close to it because Ramon had tagged in. Furnas got in and countered the "Razor's Edge" with a back drop after Lafon came to kick Ramon who was setting him for it. Furnas left both feet, utilized a "hurricanrana" and then tried to pin but Diesel kicked him off. A "double clothesline" sent Diesel over the ropes. The move which resembled the "Dudleyville Device" knocked Ramon to the mat and he was pinned by either Furnas or by Lafon.

Rating: "C - "

I am not a fan of "tag team matches" but Doug Furnas and Lafon were decent technical performers who could not save these impostures from exposure. Glenn was not dominating like a big man who was nearly as tall as seven feet and Ramon was flashing more than he was wrestling. The spreading of arms before the try of the "Razor's Edge" was not too off but they cheated a lot to lower the standards of "tag team wrestling" and the allegedly undefeated team at this episode of the Europeans did not work together as much as they were fighting individually. Separately they were likely to be average guys of the lower "midcard" but I have not seen too many of the matches that they were involved in so I was typing about what I was seeing. I might have missed some tides of turns during the break so I do not know too much about them or about how they may have wrestled in that time.

Bret Hart was backstage and did not seem to care if Shawn Michaels wanted to get involved in the later match against Vader. He called Vader as being big but as being stupid.

"Sycho Sid" was interviewed by Jim Ross in the ring with the gear of wrestling and with the "WWF Championship" around the waist. He claimed the odds to be against him but also wanted to overcome them. Shawn Michaels entered while the music of the sexy boy played so he could join to do commentary and Sid tried to apologize for what he was about to do.

Match Three: Vader versus Bret "Hitman" Hart

Bret Hart came in and gave sunglasses to a cute little girl in the front row. Vader walked to the ring. The locked arms and Vader pushed Bret to the ropes on the side of the commentators. They would lock again and Vader used strength to repel the "Hitman" to the turnbuckles opposite the booth. Vader took him out of the ring and Bret reversed an "Irish Whip" into the steps which moved apart from the post. Bret jumped off of them to hit Vader with an "axe handle". They went in the ring and Bret worked to weaken the arm but Vader got up to do two "clotheslines" and a "scoop slam". He did another "clothesline" from the top turnbuckle away from the "timekeeper" opposite the stage.

After the break of commercials, Bret had been weakened and Vader jumped from the turnbuckle above the steps to use the "Vader Splash" if that was the reverse splash. They were located on the side of the ramp away from the main people with the cameras who were closer to the bell. Actually, it was not a ramp. It was an entrance. The next attempted splash was stopped by knees of the "Hitman". He got up and battled with fists and ran against ropes by the booth to catch Vader with a "Side Russian Leg Sweep". Off of the top turnbuckle by Shawn Michaels, who was insinuating Bret Hart of habitually cheating, the "Hitman" connected with a knee and a "diving double elbow drop" was halfway felt but both elbows did not instantaneously land on a laying Vader. Maybe "klunderblunker" would think of this move as being botched. The referee counted to two and Bret Hart lifted Vader for a "side suplex" after the man who supposedly came from the Rocky Mountains stood.

Vader literally caught Bret and tried a "fallaway slam" but the force of a running Bret who jumped caused them to fall out of the ring. Sid was still wearing the belt and grabbed the person who was filming to pull him. He just came suddenly and did not even wear a shirt so he was naked again. " 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin " interfered by giving a stunner to Bret on the hard floor by the steps.

Austin went away and Vader did the "Vader Splash" if I was correctly writing about it or it might have been called as the "Vader Bomb". Someone might feel freely to tell me if I was wrong. This was the third time at which he did it during this main event and it was the second successive attempt. They were in the ring despite the interferences and Vader was able to pin the "Hitman". The man jumped from the ropes above the steps so he got in the ring and not on the floor.

Rating: "B - "

A lot of action was going on outside of the match to bring it down and did not even entirely get covered. I did not know how the steps moved again before Steve Austin gave the "Stone Cold Stunner". Other than these points the fight was outstanding as people would expect from this technician and from this powered agile dude.

Sid was shown attacking Jose Lothario in a room and Shawn rushed out to try stopping him but would be too late. Some person who looked like Savio Vega was trying to help after Sid left as were other officials. Shawn got in and was shouting at the camera to show disappointment. He vowed not to let it go. I was not sure if the audience saw the "powerbomb" on the bench which did not break but it was replayed after the advertisements were aired and then shown again in a slow motion to close out.

Rating: "C "

Some of the contested matches were quick and did not include a lot of moves between the major spotted hits. Since it was a televised event I understood but it was not entirely bad. The lack of refereeing also brought down some consistency.

" is the synopsis.

Reactions: X
Dude that was one of the more bizarre Reviews I ever seen for a TV or PPV Event. Why was everything like the Finishing Moves or Titles in quotes?

Oh I know some people just cared about knowing what moves happened so I put quotes around them. I tried to only include the major points in the results so readers could just skim through to the words with quotations around them if they were only interested in the action instead of the commentaries too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back