I Quit Match: Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy

The Magic Taco

I am a Proffesional Raincoat
On smackdown this week it says that Teddy Long made the Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy match at Backlash an 'I Quit' match! I think this an interesting idea considering both of the Hardys are on different brands now. I thought the feud would have finished with the stretcher match? I guess not. I am just wondering how long they are going to draw out the feud.

What are your thoughts on the reasoning behind the match and who do you think will win it and why?

Could you please put that in spoiler tags? Some of us may not have read the spoilers.

Since you didn't, I'll just say I don't think they'll weasel out of it at all. This could be the match with the story Matt and JEff WANTED to tell but weren't given enough time to tell. I expect a really good match, especially if they make it as awesome as that stretcher match was.

This is gonna be awesum. but im not sure how its gonna go because i dont think theres anyway jeffs gonna quit in wat could be seen as his final chance to get vegence due to matt goin to raw. matt could say "I quit" and then go on saying he already beat jeff twice he didnt need to risk an injury by proving wat was already proved that hes the betta hardy. I tell wat would be awesum. Matt learning a nw submission that will pretty much finalize his character as a stradgist/opportunist and jeff doesnt say I quit but instead becomes incapacitated and the ref calls the match to end pissing all the fans off... awesum!!!!

Just a quick point its an "I Quit" match not a "Loser Leaves..." match, so all one person do is to make the other say uncle or "I quit".

I think that this is a good way to potentially end the fued, as i had read that the WWE does not want to have this fued continued for much longer as they want to move Jeff and Matt into other set ups, Jeff probably into the title scene of Smackdown! and hopefully Matt towards the Main event scene on Raw. This is one of the penultimate matches, in the sense that you have to beat the holy hell out of your opponent, so much so, that they are forced to say the words "I Quit", admitting that they have fully been defeated

I'm pretty sure Jeff Hardy will win this match because if matt goes 3/3 in their matches together, it'll definitely make jeff hardy look pathetic and not title worthy at all. To even out the score, jeff will win an amazing match. Matt will still look good in the match, maybe having the upper hand for the majority of it... but at the end, jeff will snap n beat the holy hell out of matt with a ladder or hit 1 huge move that forces matt to quit.

but at the end, jeff will snap n beat the holy hell out of matt with a ladder or hit 1 huge move that forces matt to quit.

I really hope not, because that will just mean that all the hardys will ever be is gimmicky spot merchant. i don't care if he uses a chair, a table, a vaccuum cleaner, or even one of his paintings. But they should avoid a ladder match, and why every time there's a gimmick match involving the Hardys do people want to see a ladder involved.

Trust me, this match will be greater the less ladders that come out, because it will have enough spots and great moments from good mat wrestling and some high flying moves, and an announce table will probably get broken, so there will be no need for any ladders to come out.

Edit: Deleted most of my apology post cause I sounded like a pussy.

Anyway, I think the match will end up being awesome and I think both of the Hardys will pull something out of the hat and turn it in to their show.

Reactions: E7
Sounds like it is gonna be a great match really.Also like someone already noted an "I quit" match is pretty much a submission match.The two guys inflict a load of pain on each other until one cant take it anymore and says "I quit".Doesn't mean if Jeff or Matt lose they are gone.Just a heads up.I could see Matt as the favorite as he has more mat skill's it seems but i really don't see them letting this feud end without a win for Jeff.I hope they both put on an awesome match regardless who wins.

As said by Stick and itbe this isnt a loser leaves WWE match. It is an I Quit match where in order to win you must get your opponent to say I Quit. They've had these before most famous being The Rock vs. Mankind wherethe Rock recorded mankind saying i Quit from a promo and used it in the match cheating to win. One of the more memorable matches in WWE history.

This should be a good pay off match for the feud and the best way to end it. I hope they steal the show like the intended to do at WM but didn't get the time. I'm not a real hardy fan but it should be an interesting match.

I agree that Jeff Hardy really has to win. Matt has beaten him twice. That is enough to get Matt over, the first two won by Matt. Then the penultimate match is won by Jeff to keep him up there in the top tiers. I think it is good that they are making this a 3 match thing. Like Undertaker/Batista. I do hope that this is the last match with the Hardyz against each other, they both need to move on and try and distance themselves from each other. Could one of them even have a name change? Matt wants to distance himself so much from Jeff he changes his last name? Is that out of the question? It would be strange seeing as he has been in WWE for like 15 years as Matt Hardy but it might help him get over as well as Jeff as a Main eventer.

I'm a little disappointed in this match. It's not that I don't think this will be a good match. I just wish the feud would have ended with the stretcher match. Two losses isn't enough to bury Jeff but two wins is huge for Matt. It really puts him over as a threat.

Jeff will probably win this match. It'll get his heat back. I just don't want to see any losses hung on Matt. I'm biased. I've always been a huge Matt fan and never thought Jeff was worthy of a push due his personal demons and the simple fact that I don't enjoy his character one bit.

Actually, a third loss wouldn't hurt Jeff that much. Heck, just based on the match type alone it's ripe for a screwjob finish. *sigh* Jeff will win. I was hoping so much that Matt's drafting would mean they were done and he won. :(

I'm estatic with the final match choice, i'm just bumbed the fued was too rushed. A "I Quite" match is a perfect finish to top the rivalry, but there wasn't realy any rivalry to work with. At Mania they only had a month or two to build up which was a solid match, but should have been a great match. I do expect through, at Backlash , for Matt and Jeff to have a great match just that the rivarly has sucked(in my opinion).:p

I know this is loosely related.
But I was just thinking. Will we ever see a time, where Matt Hardy is World Champion
and Jeff Hardy is WWE Champion at the same time? It got me thinking..
Remember Wrestlemania 20 when Eddie and Benoit closed the show in the ring
as WWE and World Champion? Yes.
What if after this match at Backlash. Matt and Jeff do their upmost to be built as
singles competitors on their brands. Then for four years, Matt gets to a similar
situation to Jeff, missing oppotunities as being the World Champion, or he wins it
either way, it doesn't really matter.
Wrestlemania 30 rolls around. Jeff goes into the event as defending WWE Champion.
Matt Hardy is in a match against who ever the World Champion is.
Matt wins against whoever. Jeff defending against (say Cena) is the Main Event.
Jeff wins. Matt's music hits. Everyone remembers how Matt and Jeff tore each other
apart four years before. Matt gets into the ring looking at Jeff, he walks up to him.
Embraces him. Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy close Wrestlemania 30 as the two main
Champions in WWE.

Anyone?

Well post draft, it really looks like Smackdown is now the Jeff Hardy show. He is the man as far as faces are concerned on the show, and what better way to make hima legit threat to either Jericho or Edge then by having him make his brother tap out.

Personally, I would love to see Jeff Hardy use a submission maneuver in his repitoire just out of nowhere. I'm a Jeff Hardy in ring critic, but the guy knows his business and knows his wrestling from what I've read and heard from him. The high flying Hardy can't last forever. For the sake of his own body, it's time to tone it down a bit, and become more of a mat wrestler. If Jeff were to bust something out like the Sharpshooter, it would be awesome.

Surely the Matt and Jeff storyline can't end like this. This is too fast. I mentioned in another thread that I wanted this to go on until at least Survivor Series and then they can lock up in Hell in a Cell or a loser-leaves town ladder match but since they're not on the same brand that's not going to happen unless a trade takes place and Teddy Long is a shrewd individual. He may just pull off a trade for John Cena since he has no champion and in exchange RAW would get Jeff Hardy and Jesse because who will handle Festus now that he's on RAW? Just a thought.

Yea, this is not a loser leaves match. But if it was it would be Jeff because they would have not brought Matt to Raw for nothing.

Matt's gonna score the hat trick...their feud has been designed to put Matt over in hopes of getting him to Jeff's level...so far, so good, as the matches and promos have been solid.

Plus, Matt got upgraded to the "A" show, which will give him more exposure and a chance to evolve the "new" Matt. Jeff is always gonna be Jeff...Matt is the brother that reinvents himself every few years.

I think the one thing people have overlooked on this, it means Backlash has two long drawn out beatdowns with the Hardys and Cena/Edge. I just think it will be interesting, but the feud feels like alot more could happen, even over a title or something. I just think that we now have an I Quit and Last Man Standing match, it oddly feels like Backlash will suffer the effect of having two very similiar matches, bar the ending.

Additionally, is anyone else concerned that it's nearly a week until Backlash and there's only 4 matches on the card? Just means probable rushed IC/US and other title matches.

In short - I Quit will be interesting, given the feud should have been longer lasting, but I think it's adding up to Backlash not having much on a creative stance and WWE choosing to have it this close to Wrestlemania has messed things up. I just feel this Hardy feud could have been soooo much more!

You must be joking. An LMS match and a submission match on the same fucking card. I'm sorry, but this is Backlash. What the hell have they got planned for One Night Stand? Plus, that's the third gimmick match in a row for the Hardyz. It's dumb. They did this so much better with Edge/Taker last year, who had gimmick-less matches at Mania, Backlash, and Judgment Day before building up to TLC at ONS and Hell in a Cell at SummerSlam. Now this match just seems devoid of importance.

If they're really going to push Matt Hardy - which I don't think they should, because IMO he's a horrible heel with no promo skills - he needs to win this one. Jeff will still be over and can be built back up again. Personally, though, I think Matt Hardy sucks and that Jeff should have won every single match, including this one.

Does anyone else see the lunacy in putting two of the biggest spot junkies in the entire WWE in an I QUIT MATCH?! Really? Name one submission move that either Jeff or Matt have used in their entire career? Seriously. Because I've been an avid watcher of pro wrestling since well before the Hardy Boyz debuted in the WWE. I've never ONCE seen either of them use a submission.

Previous I Quit matches have had someone who knows how to use a solid submission, except for Chavo and Rey Rey, but that match was well put together and was simply about revenge. This match is, too, but what can we really see here? I don't see Matt executing a Sharpshooter, or Jeff using a Pain Killer on Matt. I say one will be tied up somehow and have the hell beat out of them. This match is made to put someone out of commision, too. Each match has had someone take some time off due to a nagging injury or simply being burned out.

I just can't see anything except disaster come out of it. You're either tearing down Matt or Jeff, two of the hottest members of the WWE right now. Matt desperately needs a push, and if Matt beats Jeff, then he's back to square one. This match makes no sense and although I expect it to be better than their Mania match, it serves no purpose other than to give one of these guys time off when neither of them need it at this point in their careers.

First you put them in a match at Mania. Matt wins. Then a stretcher match. Matt wins. NOW...you have an I Quit match. It's just flat out senseless. Plus, it's too many gimmick matches on the card. It'll be a headache keeping up with the stipulations for the matches. At Backlash, there are about five stips involved. Not to mention there are only four matches on the entire card, one week before the PPV. The ECW Title, WWE title, WWE World Heavyweight Title, and Matt and Jeff V3. Ugh.

The bit I'm still annoyed about this feud is the fact they haven't had a standard one on one match! It shows WWE has no confidence in either Hardy putting on a decent match with each other without the use of the weapons!

I think the sooner this ends, the better. WWE has messed up so many feuds of late.

I agree that Jeff Hardy really has to win. Matt has beaten him twice. That is enough to get Matt over, the first two won by Matt.
Matt needs this win more than Jeff does. Jeff is already a former WWE Champion and an established Main Eventer. Matt is an Upper Mid-Carder at that Glass Ceiling and what better to bust through it than to beat a Former Champion and a main Eventer by winning three big matches in a row? Matt's first 2 wins were due mistakes made by Jeff in the first place. A win for Matt here would show that he can decisively beat his brother .
The bit I'm still annoyed about this feud is the fact they haven't had a standard one on one match! It shows WWE has no confidence in either Hardy putting on a decent match with each other without the use of the weapons!
After what Matt did to Jeff starting this feud out with a normal match would be pointless. Matt threw him down a flight of stairs, ran him off the road, messed with his pyro and supposedly burnt his house down and killed his dog. All that is enough to jump over the normal match if you ask me.

A loss won't harm Matt as much as it'd harm Jeff. A face shouldn't lose an I Quit match. Heel's are supposed to be quitters, Matt should be a coward. If Jeff quits he'll just look weak. Unless they give him a reason to just say it, maybe an attack on a loved one.

A loss won't harm Matt as much as it'd harm Jeff. A face shouldn't lose an I Quit match. Heel's are supposed to be quitters, Matt should be a coward. If Jeff quits he'll just look weak. Unless they give him a reason to just say it, maybe an attack on a loved one.

Good point.

Jeff should walk out of this the winner, and I'd be pretty pissed if he didn't. If he's supposed to be Smackdown's top face he needs a big win to propel him for post-Matt to gain his momentum back.

Name one submission move that either Jeff or Matt have used in their entire career?

Jeff Hardy- Spine Line (Armlock cloverleaf) – OMEGA; Used as a regular move in TNA

Matt Hardy- Scar (Double underhook lock with bodyscissors) – Independent circuit; 2005

There one for each of them, do i get a prize?

This match will not be too bad, while i would have prefered to have seen this fued start of with a normal match rather than a gimmick match, but there has been a natural progression of the gimmick matches.

First there was an extreme rules match, because Jeff wanted to go wild on Matt to express his anger over what he did to the dog etc, and Matt wanted to make Jeff suffer. Then they had a stretcher match, because Jeff really wants to get back at him for the defeat and that he didn't make him suffer, and Matt sees he hasn't destroyed Jeff and wants to beat him so bad he can't move off a stretcher.

The final and next progression in this hatred between the two brother is wanting to hurt your opponent so bad that you get him to say two words that show they are truely at your mercy "I QUIT".

I have a feeling we may be surprised at least by Matt, whre we could see a submission finisher appear, which would help to add to his new mat based style that has been geeting him good heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back