I hate being a Republican

Discussion in 'The WrestleZone Symposium' started by FromTheSouth, Mar 6, 2016.

1. FromTheSouth

FromTheSouth You don't want it with me.

As I sit watching the American political process devolve into being forced to choose between a reality TV star and a disgraced for cabinet member, I can’t help but think that the event of 9/11 fundamentally changed for America and made it worse. 9/11 made Americans more fearful. The fear led to anger, the anger vitriol, vitriol to division. Simply put, this cannot be how we pick a leader.

Politicians used to run based on how well they could work across the aisle to get things done. Now, it is the EXACT opposite. Our obstructionist model has led to empty seats on federal benches and good public servants being replaced by Tea Party candidates calling themselves Republicans because they worked with the opposition party. There used to be a story about a first term congressman asking where the Republicans caucused because he wanted to meet the enemy. A more experienced congressman told him that the Republicans were the opposition, the Senate was the enemy. Our lawmakers have a responsibility to us to work together to make legislation that is best for all of us. The problem with our lawmakers is that they are focused on two things…one, reelection; two, drumming up enough controversy to bring in huge donation for reelection. The tea party wave that swept through congress swept through by promising to not vote to raise the debt ceiling. They said they would not spend more money than we had. Not one bothered to mention that raising the debt ceiling only approves our paying for money we’ve spent. It allows us to pay our existing bills. Not paying them can collapse the world economy. The entire world commodities market is based on the US dollar. If our credit fades, the dollar loses value and prices skyrocket. Poorer nations can no longer buy wheat and corn, can’t feed animals, thereby, can no longer feed people. This is how fascism sweeps through nations and groups like ISIS gain power.
    Although I identify as a libertarian, I am a registered Republican. The real difference is that I don’t have time in my day to hate gays or who they marry. I don’t have time in my day to panic over some dude smoking a little weed. I don’t have time in my day accuse all Mexicans of being rapists. Other than that, I’m pretty conservative. Before 9/11, in the midst of impeachment hearings, Whitewater, and whatever else the Clintons were up to, the administration and Republican congress were able to pass the Contract with America, give welfare to the states, and run a surplus. The middle class expanded more than any time since post WWII. In the midst of actual scandal, that congress built a powerful economy and did not get opposition from a Democratic President. Fast forwarding to today, the goal of congress is to not confirm a Supreme Court Justice, to repeal Obamacare, and general to stagnate of move backward.

You’ll have to excuse me for a bit of rambling above, but here is my point: The border between conservative and crazy is gone. Politics is no longer about gentleman debating the issues of today and finding solutions that provide hope for the hopeless and relief for the stressed. It is about the fight, not the finish, and that benefits no one. 9/11 made us angry, and that anger divided us. So, excuse me for thinking that every time Marco Rubio talks about spray tans and that Donald Trump talks about his genitals in a public forum, excuse me for thinking that the terrorists won. The election season is a disgrace, these candidates are a disgrace, and the American right is going to be mitigated to outsider status for decades. The Tea Party was the first blow and the triumvirate of Cruz, Rubio, and Trump is going to be the coup de grace. Return civility and issues to the forefront and stop debating semantics and bullshit. I am embarrassed by those claiming to represent my values and interests. Stop saying you speak for me, or for anyone with sense. These candidates are self serving fear mongers, not leaders, not respectable politicians, and not worthy of a single vote.

2. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

This is several chickens coming home to roost, most left unacknowledged in your opening post, FTS. Without making this about my ideology, which is nobody's bidness, I've spent what feels like the last decade watching the American right champion anti-intellectualism and admonish any critical-thinking opposition as being in the bag for this agenda or that. I've seen them take the sitting president and turn him into "the other" in a thinly-veiled, shockingly-disrespectful, and painfully-divisive manner.

This isn't about the terrorists "winning." This is the American right winning. This is the natural conclusion of their pandering and Islamophobia and echo-chamber. Playing to the cheap seats all these years finally got everyone the monster truck rally they've been yearning for.

You should be thrilled.

[​IMG]

FromTheSouth and It's Damn Real! like this.
  3. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

I have to admit FTS, I had you pegged all wrong. That's a discussion for another day though. In, short, I agree with everything you said. This year's election has devolved into a real life reality show or a real life version of that movie with Chris Rock, Head of State. The only difference between them, though, is a reality show and Head of State are somewhat funny. This election year has been tragic and I honestly fear for America when it's all said and done. The only thing Trump has said he's going to do if elected is build a wall on the Mexican border and force Mexicans to build it. Other than that, he makes shit up on the fly and what's worse is that people are actually buying his bullshit. As angry as I am with our political leaders for this election year, I'm more angry with our fellow citizens. Because those dumb asses wouldn't have the power or place to spew such bullshit if the American public didn't give it to them.

I've always heard old timers talk about how America has gone to hell in a hand basket, but I never understood what they meant. Well, I do now and I'm sorry but if we allow someone like Donald Drumpf Trump to take office, we're not going to hell in a hand basket, we're in hell and the hand basket just caught fire.

Jack-Hammer and FromTheSouth like this.
  4. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

I'm glad someone finally said it.

I also am a registered Republican who's scratching his head at the choices he's been left with this election season.

A record of proven and effective fiscal Conservatism is very rare trait of a supposedly Conservative group of Presidential candidates. Conservatism as a whole has adopted the main traits of being anti-gay marriage, pro-life and a climate change denier. Notice how not one of those traits directly relates to being fiscally responsible. Truth be told; the tea party took the basic ideas of fiscal Conservatism and pushed them way beyond the limits of rational thinking, I would prefer a fiscal Conservative like John McCain over a fiscal conservative like Rand Paul.

A gay person -- or a woman who wants the right to maintain her privacy -- who believes that taxes and government spending should be as low as possible will probably not vote to alienate their own basic rights. When it comes to social issues, I only see Conservatives putting them in front of fiscal issues because they want to bait those who are religious.

I was against the Affordable Care Act initially because I don't like broad sweeping reform policies, I was against SB 1070 for the same reason. I would have much rather seen our President enact legislation that would effect small parts of the Affordable Care Act each time, though I recognize that the President had a Democratic majority in both houses of Congress and it would likely have never happened if he did things my way. When I actually read the Affordable Care Act, I was impressed with it and realized that over time it would benefit our society. You get a stipend from your insurer if you don't get sick, you can't be denied coverage for a pre-existing condition and in the long run you will pay less for your premiums and co-pays. I haven't head anything substantive from a candidate who wants to repeal the ACA, every one of them wants to fall back on "We'll just expand/fix Medicaid, problem solved". Anyone who feels that expanding Medicaid is a valid way to supplement the lack of insured constituents can not honestly call themselves a fiscal Conservative.

I recall back in 2003 when George Bush, at the bequest of his advisers, pushed the Medicare Modernization Act on Congress for the sake of getting elderly voters to remain loyal. Early projections were that this bill would cost 400 billion dollars over ten years, but due to loopholes allowing pharmaceutical companies to dictate the costs of their medicines and equipment, it ended up costing 534 billion dollars. Yet the ACA is considered to be something that could destroy American, even though it limits the potential for fraud on part of insurance companies.

I voted for John McCain in 2000 and 2008, I really feel like he would have been the person to return the Republican party to a state of sanity. I don't regret that Barack Obama has been our President for the last eight years, and in retrospect I think the right man won the 2008 election. I've been accused of being a RINO for admitting this, because in this day in age if you give an inch to your political opponent you may as well be your political opponent.

The only reason that Donald Trump is where he is right now, is because the field was full of people who were too stubborn to bow out. I like Rubio, but he should have not ran for President this cycle. Rubio should have focused himself on having a much stronger resume for the job by championing his status as a US Senator from Florida for four more years. John Kasich should have read the writing on the wall and realized that this was not his time, he's way too moderate on social issues for this season's voter base. Jeb Bush had a shot, missed and kept on trying, he should have quit while he still had a shred of dignity to hold on to. Ted Cruz, as much as I hate him, is the last lingering thread of a hope that the Republican party has. Right now Ted and Marco are splitting the primary/caucus vote between each other, which is allowing Donald Trump to race to the lead as the only viable anti-establishment candidate. It's almost as if the other candidates can't see this far ahead.

Donald Trump could potentially enact his political promises if elected, and Heaven help us if he does. Donald Trump could possibly repeal the 14th amendment and deport all undocumented immigrants, and while his website makes a solid case for how this would help reduce unemployment, it doesn't take into account that local economies will collapse if their foundation of labor suddenly disappears. I could go on and on, but rest assured that anybody will look like a horrible President trying to fill Barack Obama's shoes.

I'm confident that Hillary will win, I'll probably swallow my pride and vote for her. The most I could see her accomplishing in her first term is enacting legislation to reform our criminal justice system in ways that make it less of a burden on minorities, and enacting legislation to make it easier for women to have abortions. I don't see her having a very eventful first term, which will likely effect her chances of being re-elected in that hopefully by then the GOP has learned from their mistakes.

5. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I've thought similar things regarding the GOP for years. Over the course of the last 15 years or so, the GOP has become more about fear mongering, for all intents and purposes, sending the message that you don't matter if you're not part of the traditional, conservative mold.

When it comes to economic matters, I admit that I sometimes get a bit lost because one side says that it's lousy because of this while the other side says it's good because of that and round & round it goes. Obama hasn't been perfect, he's pretty much seen as the Antichrist in the eastern section of Kentucky, where I was raised, because of his extremely tough policies on coal, not all of which I agree with because it's not like there's a whole helluva lot of jobs in that area except in coal. Not to go on a rant, it's just that the eastern section of Kentucky is literally one of the most economically deprived sections of one of the most economically deprived states in the country; it does seem as though Obama wants coal shut down as much as possible, yet it's where most of our energy comes from and the there's not exactly any viable alternatives as far as gainful employment goes.

But, back on topic, the search for the Republican nominee is a political campaign for the social media era. We live in an age where you no longer have to be talented, intelligent, morally grounded or ambitious to be famous; it's devolving, and has been doing so for quite a while now, to the point where the more you're willing to look like an idiot, have the biggest mouth and go the extra mile to make yourself look as much like a asshole as possible.

I usually don't vote Republican, especially on social issues as I'm just ideologically opposed to many of the positions associated with the right wing movement, and I won't be voting for a Republican for President in November. The GOP has lost so much dignity and legitimacy over the last 8 months or so, it'd be funny if the potential future of the country wasn't in the balance. Donald Trump has a perpetual case of diarrhea of the mouth, just says whatever he wants, makes all these impossibly grandiose statements that his supporters eat up yet has provided no degree of depth as to how he'll put his plans into action if elected.

Most of the other candidates have sunk to the same level, most of them have agreed with the notion that he's a "con artist", yet many of them have also stated that they'll support him if he's the GOP nominee. How in the blue hell do you go from calling someone a con artist in one breath but say that you'll support them if necessary in the next breath? That sort of blind, party loyalist mentality is most certainly not a good thing, in my opinion, and it tells me that too many in the GOP care more about getting a Republican elected than whether or not said candidate would be good for the country. It's more of that "it's okay as long as he's one of us but piss on anybody else" mentality that completely turns me off of the Republican Party.

FromTheSouth and SSJPhenom like this.
  6. FromTheSouth

FromTheSouth You don't want it with me.

I like John Kasich. I think that if a moderate Republican could ever win the primary, he would never lose a national election. The country is center right by nature on fiscal issues and center left on social issues. As much as people fight over social issues, Election Day polling always shows that people vote with their pocketbooks.

Coco, Jack-Hammer and SSJPhenom like this.
  7. enviousdominous

I have a theory that because a moderate Republican like Mitt Romney didn't win the election in 2012, the effort to pick a candidate for 2016 was geared toward far right Republicans like Ted Cruz and Jeb Bush.

I also think that so many people jumped at the opportunity to seek the nomination because it was assumed that it would be an easy election since typically a voter who was allowed to enjoy eight years of a candidate from their chosen political party doesn't feel as fired up about voting a representative of their party into office. If Trump gets the nomination, that will fire up the left like never before and easily put Hillary into office.

On top of all that; Trump isn't satisfied with just winning elections, he has to absolutely annihilate the character of his fellow Republicans (I refer to Donald Trump as a Republican loosely by the way) while betraying any sense that his values as a Republican go anywhere beyond repealing the ACA and deporting illegal immigrants. I'm pretty sure that someone who voted for Kasich in the primaries/caucuses would be more likely to vote for Hillary over Trump. I doubt anyone who voted for Bernie Sanders would ever entertain the thought of voting for Trump.

SSJPhenom likes this.
  8. The Bearded One

The Bearded One Love is not admissable evidence.

And that's why Kasich will have my vote in the upcoming Florida primary. I feel like he is the most level-headed Republican candidate, even if I don't completely agree with everything he stands for.

As this race has continued, I've grown almost embarrassed to be registered a Republican, and I'm really thinking about changing after the primary.

But I'm interested to see how the GOP will cope if it loses another election. Or even how it will react to Trump getting the nod as its candidate. Of course, there will be the Tea Partiers who remain loyal, but I foresee a lot of more middle-of-the-road republicans possibly going independent.

Also, maybe this is also just my own wishful thinking, would disenfranchised GOP voters possibly turn to Gary Johnson in this year's national election? I feel like he has many of conservative fiscal values, while being socially liberal enough to appeal to both sides. If voters who are sick of the two-party system like I am, and those who have lost faith in the GOP, Johnson could take enough of a chunk to really turn heads. He has no shot at winning, but this could be setting up a pivotal moment where republicans who are fiscally conservative, socially liberal could be leaving the party in droves, and it could really benefit a party like the Libertarians.

Of course, that could all be crazy talk and mindless speculation. But I can't see many non-far right republicans being happy with how this election cycle is going.

enviousdominous and SSJPhenom like this.
  9. Барбоса

Барбоса doesn't know REAL wrestling...

This is most definitely the Republican party reaping what they have sown in the last two decades but specifically in the last 8 years.

As soon as Obama became president, the Republican party stopped being the Republican party and became the anti-Obama party, relying on bluff, bluster and down right lies. Ruining the chances for a national health service to help the poorest in your society, shutting down the government to try and make Obama look bad but even Cleitus in his backwater knew it was the GOP and generally being obstructionist just for the sheer hell of it.

The good of the country and the GOP's reputation left by the wayside in order to strangle the "Great Satan" in the White House.

Well, guess what? Now your GOP nominee is going to be the King of Bluff, Bluster and Lies, Donald Trump, a man who 20 years ago opening stated that if he were to run for president, he would run as a Republican because Republican voters are stupid enough to believe his lies.

In getting a choice between Donald Trump and and another lunatic in Ted Cruz, you have got exactly what you deserved for being so short-sighted and partisan.

Jack-Hammer, HBK-aholic and TJ Matics like this.
  10. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

As I was in the doctor's office waiting to undergo my work physical, the TV was set on Fox News and I was reminded once again as to how much I dislike the Republican Party. Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with people just because they're Republican nor does that somehow mean that there aren't great people who're Republicans, I just can't get behind a lot of what the GOP stands for.

Fox News has a massive right wing bias, everyone knows it, but I couldn't change the channel so I was watching the morning show Fox and Friends with the hosts discussing the latest town hall meeting between Clinton & Sanders. Sanders said something to the effect that health care should be a right for everyone, it should be a human right. The pundits were sort of poking fun at the comment saying that it wasn't in the Constitution that everyone was entitled to health care nor that being a human being qualifies you. One of them said, in a sort of condescending way, something to the effect of "well, if that's the sort of country that you want, you'll have your chance in November." That really, really pissed me off to see those drones wearing their expensive suits, jewelry, grinning ear to ear and say something like that. I thought the GOP was supposed to be the party that cared about the sanctity of life, but I guess that only applies to fetuses and only until they're born then it's "okay kid, we got you here so it's up to you from here on in because we don't give a shit now that you're here." I know that's a huge over simplification and probably not entirely fair, but it's the base hypocrisy that I constantly hear about from GOP candidates that bugs me.

HBK-aholic likes this.
  11. It's Damn Real!

It's Damn Real! The undisputed, undefeated TNA &

You aren't wrong in that assessment, though. It's been a growing trope and talking point for years that’s taken on a lot of new life after Sister Joan Chittister, a Catholic nun, went viral in July of 2015 after saying:

“I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is.”

And it’s an important distinction to make. It’s especially important to voters, particularly women, who care about women’s rights with regard to abortion, because over the last decade or more, the GOP has effectively gone on full assault against the idea of legal abortion and a woman’s right to choose, justifying all along the way the idea of the sanctity of life. All the while, talking out of the other side of their mouth about the kind of social parasites they despise, like those on welfare and food stamps.

So which is it? Do you actually care about life, or do you only care about birth? Because the way you’ve positioned your arguments as a political party, you may think you care about both, but you don’t, and the public perception is that you don’t. You only care about being pro-birth — refusing the rights of women to make that choice for themselves. Once the child is born, however, you dust your hands off and get right back to your pulpit, primed and ready to condemn that child and his/her parent(s) 18 years later when they are living on food stamps or public assistance despite the fact they should never have had the child to begin with for economic reasons. Yet somehow you are also the party of fiscal responsibility? Make up your fucking minds.

HBK-aholic, enviousdominous and Coco like this.
  12. smizzy

smizzy Doubt it, bud.

It's a damn shame John Kasich isn't getting more support. It's my belief that he would absolutely make for a good President. Also, I have a much stronger dislike for Ted Cruz than Trump. Neither Hillary or Bernie do much for me either. Completely on the fence over here.

13. It's Damn Real!

I like Bernie, but I've said this might be the worst crop of Presidential candidates, as a collective group in a long time. Probably going back two or three Presidential terms. Maybe to back to Kerry/Bush?

In terms of Republican candidates, it's far and away the worst in modern history. Kasich aside. Nearly every "serious" candidate to this point has been a clown in the circus. Carson, Fiorina, Trump, Cruz, etc. It feels like we're watching really bad reality TV. Not an actual Presidential bid.

14. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

Many really good points in this thread regarding the obvious shortcomings in the Republican party. These are the type of things I and others have been saying for a long time. The Republican party isn't about a different point of view, it's about a semi-radical point of view.

I'm also going to agree with others about Kasich. I know 100% that many of the things he supports I would not, yet in a general election setting I would say he is probably in the lead for my vote at this time. Sometimes it's not about what you personally believe, it's about your ability to recognize reality and work with others which is more important and Kasich is virtually the only candidate in this cycle to acknowledge that.

In the Republican primary, my order of preference is Kasich, Trump, Rubio, Cruz. On the Democratic side, I don't really have a strong preference either way. Everyone knows Hillary is a prototypical politician whose views tend to align with whatever she thinks will win. Sanders says things I like, but aren't realistic. So many of the things on which Sanders campaigns are no more likely to come to pass as they have in 7 years under Obama.

In the end, it'll likely end up Clinton and Trump. And that'll be a shame.

enviousdominous likes this.
  15. It's Damn Real!

It's certainly aligning that way, which is a real shame if you value liberal thinking because the anti-PC element in that situation is Donald fucking Trump. What a swerve that'd be.

I still wouldn't completely rule out Bernie Sanders just yet, though. I think for the GOP, it's almost assuredly Trump (followed by a fracture in-house and a split down the middle of the party). For the Dems, it's still too up-in-the-air to call it. I'd say it's like 51/49 Clinton at the moment. That's not enough of a degree for me to put pen to paper.

16. smizzy

smizzy Doubt it, bud.

On top of that, the antics of the candidates trickle down to their staffers, endorsers, and support in general. I can't watch CNN without seeing some smarmy twat throwing irrational jabs at the opposition. And goddamn...Facebook and Twitter...I mean I can barely stand social media these days, makes me thankful for the "Damnnn Daniels" of the world causing people to forget about their loudmouth opinions for a few minutes. This election season can't end soon enough.

17. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

Yup. At least Trump's mouthpieces, besides Jeffrey Lord, tend to be somewhat attractive.

I have a Facebook and Twitter account...I use neither anymore.

By the way, I'm sure I've asked...but where in SE MO are you from? I'm not old, but I do forget things. Were you an Indian?

18. smizzy

smizzy Doubt it, bud.

Went to Jackson K-12, graduated in '13 and have been in SEMO since. Starting the nursing school in June.

Were you a Tiger, Ram, or Bulldog by chance?

19. enviousdominous

Arnold Schwarzenegger recently came out in support of John Kasich using Snapchat (behold the wonders of the Information Age).

This had me thinking that if the Republican Party is forced into a brokered convention, it'll really come down to who has the most charismatic supporters. Cruz is vilified by his own party, Trump turned the latest debate into a drunken Twitter flame war that even had Reince Priebus telling him to knock it off and Rubio is definitely not winning this beauty contest.

I think that if they had to go with a brokered convention, John Kasich would emerge as the best possible candidate to put up against Bernie or Hillary. He's embarrassed himself the least and he would probably be a very fair minded Chief Executive. My only issue with John Kasich is that he defunded Planned Parenthood in Ohio, apart from that he's the most refreshing candidate.

20. It's Damn Real!

Ultimately, to make this GOP-centric, the party itself has to conform to reality. By hook or by crook... or just by reason. The U.S. population may still lean center right as a majority, but the rise of the None's is not dissimilar to the GOP's insistence on being the Jesus party and purporting to speak for God.

Religion has no place in politics, even if it has a temporary foothold at the moment, and when the religious convictions of nearly every candidate are as fucking wacky as they are with the GOP, is it any wonder they're losing ground with young voters left-and-right, hand-over-fist? Stop being the part of anti-science. Stop championing religious ignorance. Stop shaming women for having the right to decide what to do with their own bodies. Stop pretending you know what's best for their vaginas when the majority of your party don't even have vaginas. Stop with all this pandering to the dumbest, most backward-thinking, anti-intellectual Americans in the country.

If the GOP has any serious ambitions at grabbing a seat not at the kids table in the future, then they need to live in it. Stop pretending this is 1981-1989. That starts with letting go of Reagan's sad, old, shriveled sack. It starts with not trying to be the American Taliban. It starts with sticking to your guns on being fiscally conservative, but not at the expense of being socially and scientifically Afghanistan.

smizzy likes this.
  21. Blade

Blade "Original Blade"

I can only give my views as someone outside America, but it seems to me the Kasich is the only one who remotely pull the GOP back from the insanity. But instead, people are flocking to Trump and, to a lesser extent, Cruz. The former of which is a probably sociopath, and the latter of which is a fundamentalist, I'm pretty sure.

Here's the thing about human beings: when they think they're losing control, they will go to extreme lengths to get it back. In a post-Bush America, people elected a democratic president in the hopes it would get the bad taste out of their mouth. In reality, it just divided people more. Because, while Obama wasn't nearly as progressive as he wanted to be, he still took America on a quite liberal, quite 21st Century path.

Socially, under Obama's reign, liberals have gotten a lot done of the last few years, between gay marriage, legalizing weed in some places, and a few other things. And for the last couple of years, it's supposedly been a given that Hillary Clinton would be the next president. That's why I think conservatives feel like they're losing any control over the country. Not just the GOP, but the everyday conservative voter.

So, in their attempts to get some control back, they go further to the right, ending up with ultra-religious nutjobs like Cruz, and a man who will apparently say anything to get the support of the conservative voters in Trump.

If I can quote the Dark Knight, "In their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand."

But hey, like I said, that's just my view on things from across the pond.

It's Damn Real! likes this.
  22. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Okay first of all I know very little about American politics except for what we see on TV here. Quite honestly, it's more of a circus atmosphere than anything else that comes across, but I say that because our politics and politicians are just a little on the boring side.

But the one thing that does strike me is, it doesn't matter if a Democratic or Republican gets into office, they have to deal with the Congress and the Senate, and to me they are your biggest problems. There you have career politicians who are steadfast in their beliefs and most of them have been there forever.

That's where a change is needed. As long as they are the same ones who say yay or nay to what a sitting President tries to enact, then changing the man in charge is a waste of time and taxpayer money. If a President isn't allowed to have more than two terms in office, then why should a Senator or Congressman be allowed to serve 40+ years in some cases. Get these people out and some new blood in with fresh ideas, a willingness to listen to the people and maybe a way forward.

You watch the State of the Union address and the average age of the Senate and Congress is about 60. I understand Florida just put a law into effect that says politicians can only serve a certain amount of terms, it should be made countrywide. Then you might actually see change, until then yes every 4 years we will watch this dog and pony show. But most of us know in our heart of hearts that all these promises being thrown out there will never come to pass, and it's been entertaining, but a colossal waste of time and money.

23. enviousdominous

This is it folks, I'm pretty sure that today will decide if Trump gets the nomination or not. Republicans (sans Ted Cruz) are strategizing that if Rubio takes Florida and Kasich takes Ohio, then Trump's delegate lead won't be nearly as substantial as it is now. If Trump takes either one of those states, he's the likely nominee.

I'm really not afraid of a President Trump, it'll obviously be the same type of routine where his supporters worship his every move and his dissenters abhor his every move. His policies sound stupid coming from his mouth, but they are viable if his pipedream of a presidency plays out the way he brags that it will. Those of us who make more than $25,000 will still pay taxes as usual, the war in Syria (re: Qatar/Syria pipeline) will keep our defense budget well intact and we'll all be enjoying a new season of Celebrity Apprentice filmed from the White House.

Lots of people are planning their immigration to Canada, England, Australia and New Zealand. More elbow room for me I say. You know; Donald Trump really isn't a bad guy, I think I've misunderstood him. Ah well. Let's enjoy some Pink Floyd!

[YOUTUBE]zt823n3RsPc[/YOUTUBE]

What a delightful video! How about another!? I think we shall:

[YOUTUBE]en_s2QnAgBE[/YOUTUBE]

24. BestSportsEntertainer

BestSportsEntertainer I Don't Need No User Title

This is Donald Trump's fault. He has run his campaign on emotion instead of logic.

Republican Voters - Man things are so broken in this country.
    Donald Trump - I'm going to fix everything!
    Republican Voters - We're voting for Trump! He's going to fix everything!

John Kasich has based his campaign around logic. No one votes for him. Ted Cruz has mostly based his campaign around logic. He doesn't get near as many votes as Trump does. Why? The majority of republican voters are fed up with and tired of the system. They don't want someone who talks policy. "They don't do what they say they gone do anyway." They want someone new and different. They want someone who says what they want to when they want to. Trump has done just that.

Trump tells them what they want to hear.
    Republicans want change. "Things are going to change when I'm president."
    Republicans want a better economy. "The economy is going to be so much better when I'm president."
    Republicans want more job opportunities. "There is going to be so many job opportunities when I'm president."

See what I mean? Republican voters are so fed up with the establishment and Washington that they just assume he will do what he says he is going to do. Trump knows what he's doing. He's a smart guy. Will he become president? Maybe. He has angered a lot of people during his campaign. That's the risk I believe he knew he was taking. He has gotten the majority of republicans on his side so I applaud him for that. Only time will tell if he is our next president.

25. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

The last time they got someone new and different it was Obama, and looks what's he's done, nothing really. Yes he put Obamacare into effect, which pissed off more people than it helped.

I remember watching Obama's first speech. He promised to "transform a nation" and unleash a wave of hope and change." Did he live up to what he promised, well not exactly. I've touched on the universal health care that never really happened, he brought the military back from the Middle East, only to send them back to deal with ISIS. And lastly, his promises of stopping Americans from living paycheck to paycheck never really came to be.

I think he found out like Donald Trump will, getting into office will be a lot easier than being in office. Wondering if Trump really has what it takes to run a country like the US and all that it entails.

He's made many bad decisions, and to tell you the truth I can't remember one campaign promise he's made. Other than insulting huge portions of the population, and stirring the pot, what is he going to do. Well other than build a huge wall between the US and Mexico. That's about the extent of it.

it's not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination, and quite honestly I wouldn't with it on my worst enemy. I also don't envy the decision that you Americans have to make. You'll be stuck with the guy for 4 years, and I have a feeling it will be a very bumpy ride.