• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I don't care how you entertain me. Just entertain me.

CelticCorey

Getting Noticed By Management
This topic is going off The Brain's topic of talent vs. gimmick. I'm going to expand it and take it a step farther. We all know the IWC in general can be a bunch of whiners. "Well Miz sucks in the ring, why is he champion?" "John Morrison is a spot monkey and he sucks on the mic, he shouldn't get a main event push." In the case of someone like PSPower from youtube, he doesn't cheer for anyone today because they don't have a great character or they don't have the look. I will go ahead and say you don't have to have everything, just have something, ANYTHING and I could get behind you.

Let's look at wrestling. Yes mic skills may get you farther but I prefer the matches themselves. Technically, if you think about it, in ring wrestling covers all three letters of the WWE.

World- Competitors from USA, Canada, Mexico, Across the Pond, Asia, compete all over the globe.

Wrestling- Duh

Entertainment- A great match can always be entertaining.

So that takes care of that. Now, I wouldn't turn to John Morrison or Dolph Ziggler to cut an amazing promo but I would turn to them for jaw dropping moments in the ring and because of that, I would be perfectly fine with them becoming champ. Someone on here or wrestlingforum, not sure, said his heel work as a singles competitor sucked. To each their own. I have said time and time again that he cut some good promos in ECW as champion. Both guys do a great job at selling and telling a story. Not to mention they are marketable and have terrific looks.

It's in TNA too. Max and Jeremy Buck- holy crap these guys blow on the mic. But you know what? They make up for that. They are outstanding in the ring and they are my second favorite tag team in all of wrestling behind MCMG. They find a way to entertain me.

Jack Swagger- The only thing I didn't enjoy about Swagger as champ was the way he was booked. When he cut promos in ECW, I cringed. He did get somewhat better on the mic as champ. But it was the content of his promos I loved. Some people think Swagger is decent in the ring at best? Seriously? If I did a list of the top ten in ring wrestlers in WWE today, Swagger is on that list. He just might even be in the top five. And before he got the strap, he was someone I would've loved to become champ. Why? Because of his amazing wrestling skills.

Ken Shamrock- some will call me crazy but I am sad he never became WWF champ. He was awful at promos but he just screamed badass. He put on great matches and his look and character was AWESOME. If he came to RAW this Monday and made Cena tap like a little bitch, I would be marking so hard.

Now let's take a look at promos and mic skills.

Ultimate Warrior was awful in the ring and I think that's one of the reasons some may be against his H.O.F. inclusion. But you know, he found a way to entertain me in other facets. His bizarre promos, his character, his look, his running down to the ring, he was a freak of nature and he found a way to get me to like him even if he was garbage in the ring.

Mr. Anderson- someone in the Bully Ray thread in the TNA forum said that Mr. Anderson should go nowhere near a mic. Seriously? That's all this guy has. He isn't Warrior bad in the ring but he is no Doug Williams or AJ Styles either. Therefore, he cuts entertaining promos and makes me laugh. He is gold on the mic. Even when he is pissed like a mofo he still makes me laugh. Not to mention I like this tweener Anderson who mic checks everything in sight and won't stop until he gets his rematch. Wikipedia says he has turned heel. But the crowd sure hasn't given him the heel treatment. He is a TWEENER. IMO the best faces are the ones that don't need to suck up to the crowd. Sometimes he plays to them but he doesn't suck up for a cheap pop. He wants his rematch.

He was great in WWE as Mr. Kennedy but he is 100 times funnier in TNA as Mr. Anderson and he has gotten over with me even more. I mean it could be worse- he could be Gunner, Murphy or Rob Terry in the ring but he's not the greatest in ring competitor in the world. But give him a microphone and that's why I marked so hard and wanted him as TNA champ. Hence my utter disappointment at Against All Odds.

The Miz- Now the Miz has gotten better. But he has made me care about him. I like Miz and Anderson because they can be comical and entertain me. I would like to see more entertaining characters in the main event. Not Santino comedy or Long Island Loud Mouth comedy but Miz and Anderson make me laugh and still can be taken seriously. Some hate this but I love it. The Miz, despite what some say, is gold on the mic and has entertaining segments. He's made it up to me.

And notice how I said Long Island Loud Mouth and not Zack Ryder. Ryder needs a makeover. I have read a couple posts who think Zack Ryder should've gotten pushed instead of Miz. As his current character, I wouldn't take him seriously if he became WWE champion. But I am a fan of his mic skills and is criminally underrated in the ring. If you gave Zack Ryder a make over persona, I could see him being something. If Miz with HOORAH and the mohawk became WWE champ, he'd look out place just like if Ryder won it now. But a makeover could do wonders for someone.

Characters- if you get a proper character and play it well, that helps too. Like I said in the Brain thread, Cody Rhodes turned me into a fan because he took a shitty gimmick and played it like gold. That got me over and I'll be disappointed we won't be seeing a Dashing World Heavyweight Champion. He'll likely win it with something else.

It was the rapper gimmick that got me over with Cena. THAT was the Cena I wanted as WWE champion. But when he left it, I left his fanbase. Now when he raps he looks out of place. The jean shorts and rapping don't fit his character. It fit the Dr. of Thuganomics though. He found a way to be entertaining and make me laugh and still be a threat. Now though *roll eyes*

Same thing in TNA. Do you think prior to these last few months I gave a rats ass about Brother Ray or Bully Ray? No. But you know what, he became Bully Ray and slowly, overtime, he won me over. Now he entertains me. I can't believe this. I NEVER thought I would say this, but fucking Bubba Ray Dudley has found a way to make me care about him to the point I wouldn't be opposed to him becoming a World champion. In all the years I have watched wrestling, I never EVER thought I would type what I just typed about that man.

But it's a two way street. Look at Drew McIntyre or Matt Morgan. These guys have marketbale looks; but neither of them do it for me. I'm not looking forward to a McIntyre promo or a McIntyre match unless he's against someone really good. I'm not a fan of Morgan and don't really understand what there is to like about him. You guys like Morgan and McIntyre? Fine. I really don't care for them. All I am saying.

So what I am saying is this: You don't have to be the whole package. You don't need to be Shawn Michaels. You could have great ring skills and be shit on the mic and I could get behind you or vice versa. All I am saying is if you entertain me. Somehow, someway in any way, shape or form, chances are, I WILL get behind you. The exception to this seems to be Wade Barrett- gold on the mic. I don't hate him and won't complain when he wins the strap but there are many I would want to become WHC or WWE champ before him.

But being an all around performer can get me to like you even more. Look at Owen Hart. Some say he wasn't title material, he had it all. Great heel. And Bret said Owen was a better athelete, I agree. Owen > Bret. Owen was a great promo cutter and I'd rather watch an Owen match than a Bret match. Yes I said it. Owen was gold in the ring and when I saw the match at WM 10, I enjoyed Owen's work more than I enjoyed Bret's work.

Not everybody is going to be great at everything. If they are really good at something, I'll like them. I see no reason why others can't think this way either.

Just quickly, it has been long rumoured that Vince was scared to give Shamrock the belt, because if he did, and Shamrock decided not to drop the title to the next guy, it would have been near impossible to pin his shoulders.

Shamrock was known as a hooker and many companies had one incase a guy <cough Michaels cough> got too big for his britches and decided not to drop the belt. The promoter would book a match with the hooker, and he would take it from him and be a transtional champ to the guy they wanted.

Due to the attitde era, Vince was scared Shamrock would hold his belt ransom...

Now on going onto your topic, a wrestler still needs many different things to be sccessful ie a Champion. For example look at ndertaker and look at Kane... almost identical characters.. these monsters who are invincable, impossible to kill, but the in ring skill and the charisma of Mark Calloway allowed the Undertaker character to become one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. While Glenn Jacobs try as he may and how many times Taker tried to put him over he just coldn't do it because he didn't have the connection with the crowd to do it.

A prowrestler needs that connection to be successful... Goldberg was very bad on the mic and a lot of people would say bad in the ring, but man could he draw. The guy was money and he was booked well to hide his weaknesses and emphasis his strengths.

To me you have to have that connection the other stuff yo will learn over time. A prime example of this is Batista. This guy had the look but like Goldberg inring and mic skills were poor but he worked on them. He improved 300% in the ring after his feud with Taker and his mic skills were unbeleivable just before he left the company. But he always had that crowd connection and that's what's a major part of entertaining the fans...

That is THOSE fans. I am talking about me. You say Kane doesn't have the connection or whatnot but for the most part he was a damn good champ. This guy went over Taker three straight times. He cut the best promos in his career IMO during that time. The dimming of the lights, the evil, sadistic anger both as a heel who said he was the devil's favorite demon and seeking revenge for Taker's attacker. He won me over big time. He connected with me. He won me over not because of his five star technician skills but because of the way he played his character during my favorite storyline of 2010.

In my eyes, Kane WAS was successful because A: prior to Edge, booked very strong. B: Did GREAT in ALL FACETS OUTSIDE OF IN RING WRESTLING.

And if that is just a rumor about Vince being scared to give Shamrock the belt, then why should I buy into if it is just a rumor? And if the rumor holds merit, what makes Shamrock not being able to get away with politics but other wrestlers being able to do so? It doesn't add up for me.

This topic is going off The Brain's topic of talent vs. gimmick. I'm going to expand it and take it a step farther. We all know the IWC in general can be a bunch of whiners. "Well Miz sucks in the ring, why is he champion?" "John Morrison is a spot monkey and he sucks on the mic, he shouldn't get a main event push." In the case of someone like PSPower from youtube, he doesn't cheer for anyone today because they don't have a great character or they don't have the look. I will go ahead and say you don't have to have everything, just have something, ANYTHING and I could get behind you.QUOTE]

No offense, but are you any different than the "IWC" being that you've created a topic to prove otherwise?

Secondly, Morrison's skills have deteriorated. The only reason there are an overwhelming number of fans who call him a good wrestler, is because it's more the formuli these new age fans are used to.
Anything Morrison's done in ring has been done better by wrestlers like HBK, Hayabusa, JTL, Eddie Guerrero and most of ECW's high flyers. He's certainly no Brian Pillman.

The Miz, despite looking like a complete fruit fly in the ring is a decent wrestler.

I will agree with you on one aspect of this topic, and it's about Kane. He's one of the hardest working wrestlers, and should be recognized as a company backbone as well.

BTW, if you enjoyed Kane Vs Taker in 2010, then perhaps you're into soap operas as well. C'mon, don't tell me when Taker did that silly taunt and the thunder and lightning effects hit the stage, you weren't secretly thinking "I'd be embarassed to watch this if someone were watching me". Good matches with Taker? Yep.

2010 for Kane?
Embarassment to wrestling aka wrestlecrap.

What if I enjoy that style? What if I enjoy the style Morrison brings?

As far as me being different as opposed to the rest of the IWC, while I admit I have complained about something before, I have not complained to the extent a lot of other IWC'ers have. If somebody wins their first world title, you will likely see me applaud it unless it's McIntyre.

If somebody is hated by the IWC in general but finds a way to entertain me, I will follow my own suit. If someone is an IWC darling but if I don't think highly of them, then I won't.

I can be into soap operas. But that was good drama. I wasn't embarassed. I really thought that that was a very good storyline and after the nauseating shit where Cena went over Nexus and made them look like fools, THIS was refreshing. I'm into younger talent; but WWE found a way to really get me into a feud between two men over 40. How did that happen? I don't know. But it happened.

You think 2010 for Kane was an embarassment. The way he was booked at the end of 2010 was an embarassment. But I will defend 2010 Kane from July-October until I have taken my very last breath. Maybe I am missing something here and am in the minority. Maybe I need to watch it again. But I felt into the storyline. I connected with it and I loved it. Maybe it was drama; but I like GOOD drama. IMO that WAS good drama. Bad drama....see Vince Russo in WCW.

What if I enjoy that style? What if I enjoy the style Morrison brings?

As far as me being different as opposed to the rest of the IWC, while I admit I have complained about something before, I have not complained to the extent a lot of other IWC'ers have. If somebody wins their first world title, you will likely see me applaud it unless it's McIntyre.

If somebody is hated by the IWC in general but finds a way to entertain me, I will follow my own suit. If someone is an IWC darling but if I don't think highly of them, then I won't.

I can be into soap operas. But that was good drama. I wasn't embarassed. I really thought that that was a very good storyline and after the nauseating shit where Cena went over Nexus and made them look like fools, THIS was refreshing. I'm into younger talent; but WWE found a way to really get me into a feud between two men over 40. How did that happen? I don't know. But it happened.

You think 2010 for Kane was an embarassment. The way he was booked at the end of 2010 was an embarassment. But I will defend 2010 Kane from July-October until I have taken my very last breath. Maybe I am missing something here and am in the minority. Maybe I need to watch it again. But I felt into the storyline. I connected with it and I loved it. Maybe it was drama; but I like GOOD drama. IMO that WAS good drama. Bad drama....see Vince Russo in WCW.

What I'm saying is- Kane got buried in 2010 by WWE.

I loved the fact that he held the title after getting it from Mysterio via MITB contract, afterwards, he was a tad dominant in the ring, had 2 good matches with Taker only to end up facing Edge. That was a stupid move for WWE.

Edge won the title lots of times, but the only times I was actually interested in him was when he was accompanied by Vickie, and perhaps just a tad of his Rated R superstar era title reign.
Why give a guy like that a title shot when Kane could've picked up 2010 as a year to be that great heel he once was?
Infact, why not give Kane a real push?

I agree 100 percent about anything related to Cena. On a side note, I ended up buying the film "Legendary" with John Cena, and clicked the "behind the scenes" tab on my bluray-dvd player, in which Cena admitted that he couldn't wrestle. Worth every cent just to hear it.

So you're saying Kane got buried by WWE in 2010 but from your first post, you acted as if Kane was to blame for this. I'm not talking Edge. Yes, WWE buried Kane against Edge and it was annoying as fuck. But PRIOR to Edge, I REALLY liked the way Kane was booked. Kane was an outstanding heel in 2010 but the writers on S.D. decided to make him look weak to Edge. For awhile, Kane was carrying the WHC with pride and really good. Then that happened.

I wanna see that. I doubt Cena admits that. He probably was just playing to his haters.

So you're saying Kane got buried by WWE in 2010 but from your first post, you acted as if Kane was to blame for this. I'm not talking Edge. Yes, WWE buried Kane against Edge and it was annoying as fuck. But PRIOR to Edge, I REALLY liked the way Kane was booked. Kane was an outstanding heel in 2010 but the writers on S.D. decided to make him look weak to Edge. For awhile, Kane was carrying the WHC with pride and really good. Then that happened.

I wanna see that. I doubt Cena admits that. He probably was just playing to his haters.

Yep. Cena had to be shown how to pull off amatuer wrestling moves with assisted coaches for his character in Legendary.
Also, in my first post I mentioned nothing about it not being WWE's fault that Kane was given a proverbial burial, I said 2010 was an embarassment for Kane; and it was. He was a HWC with a Mid card's swagger IMO.
Kane should've been put in matches against better talent than what he was facing.

Ken Shamrock greatly improved from the time he began wrestling to the time he left. So if he were champion it would've been fine with me, but the reality is he wasn't very good on the mike.

I was happy when Kane won the championship, I hated that he only had a week (or is it a one day) title reign his first time. So when he won it this time I was glad that he actually won it after such a long period without a reign. That being said, he didn't get much to work with in terms of competition. I think he was more awesome with the mask than he is without it. His character is really stale at this point. He was never a great talker, but he did ok with what they wrote for him to say.

Swagger was an okay idea to try. They just didn't do anything to make him stand out. I think they were trying to go with the Kurt Angle route with him, but their execution was a little sloppy and like Kane, they didn't give him much time to gain heat.

Still, the WWE product is hurting. You don't call on a former performer to come host your biggest event, if you're not. So how to improve the product ? It's the character, feud, storyline development that's part of the problem. The other is many of the performers they have, aren't very good in terms of working a crowd, they seem to be more interested in doing spots not actual in-ring psychology. They don't have workers like Bret, Angle, Benoit etc. guys who can make matches with any performer from low to high cards look good. Or guys who can help make feuds interesting.

What entertains me in wrestling, is good writing, great storytelling in the ring and in terms of storylines. They have guys who can work in the ring Ziggler, Bryan, Edge and others, they just need to focus a little bit more on the product in the ring. They have guys who can speak Edge, DelRio, HHH, Cena, I've never been a fan of Triple H, Cena is passionate and dedicated but he bores me. His movest in the ring is quite limited, either by his choice or some one else's. Orton is good, but not great on the mike. Punk has possibilities. WWE have a number of decent performers but for them to get the type of following they had in the past, they need to go back to the drawing board or figure out a way to build up a performer from their current roster, and work harder on creating better storylines that can actually catch the audience's attention.

I agree with you man. I really do. I really don't know what to say but yeah you really hit the nail on the head. Well, the only thing you said that I don't agree with is that Ultimate Warrior was entertaining. Sorry man, but Warrior sucked in the ring and on the mic. I hate The Warrior as a wrestler, but I do respect what he did for the business and I respect him as a person.

I thought that Jack Swagger was great on the mic and in the ring and he truly shined up until he lost the World Heavyweight title. Swagger has so much potential and they booked him horribly. WWE should be ashamed of theirselves for making Swagger and their World title look like a joke.

Ziggler and Morrison are extremely entertaining in the ring. Morrison CAN cut a promo.....when he is a heel.

The Miz may not be great in the ring, but like you said, he is a great entertainer. He is great on the mic and he creates a story in the ring.

Everything else you said was cool too, but I am not going to comment on every single thing.

Oh, and just like GrandSword said, Batista had no mic skills but he was a cool champion and he was entertaining sometimes to me when he used all of his strength to destroy his opponents. When Batista became a heel during his fued with john Cena I actually thought that his mic skills improved a whole lot.

Warrior has entertained me in quite a few factes. Let the clips speak for themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9aAXo-u78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXUVCq-qzOM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebN17xoJbLg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q46l70mNmCw&feature=related

Not to mention his run in was always gold.

I also thought Batista's mic skills improved a lot. He was uctting terrific promos. And yes WWE should be ashamed for making Swagger look like that, I agree. But I heard they didn't like his attitude backstage after he became champion. So what if he stayed humble? Maybe it would've gotten better. I don't think it was the last time we'll see Swagger as champ. I certainly hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back