How much do managers add nowadays?

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
We always hear how a certain superstar needs a manager to get over, to help him speak for him etc. Also, managers have the ability to sell stuff on the mic, and generally with their reactions better, at times.
But, of what importance are the managers anymore nowadays? I mean, back in the day, they were really important. Taker might not even have made it. Lesnar might have flopped if it wasn't for Heyman.

Are managers really that necessary though? It seems like the superstar himself is stupid and has to have someone else make the talking for him. People said that Ziggler is bad on the mic and needs Vickie, but I actually like his promos, they are intense.

Were managers really that important over-time? Are they really important on this day and age?

Managers in wrestling were important, and still are important and in all likelihood will always remain important which is proved by the fact that a majority of wrestlers who became big stars were at one point managed by someone , no matter what their role is. But I don't think having a manager is necessary once their purpose is accomplished, which is simply to get the wrestler over or add some dimension to him. What Brock Lesnar lacked in the ability to be articulate, Paul Heyman provided it. But once Brock was over with the fans, they decided to make him a face and be alone as he chased Kurt Angle's WWE title and it worked pretty well, except that Brock was never a very great talker on his own, like how HHH was.

Shawn Michaels had Sherri Martel/HHH and Chyna/Kevin Nash
Undertaker had Paul Bearer
HHH had Chyna/Stephanie/Ric Flair
Randy Orton had Ric Flair for a year.
Edge had Lita/Vickie Guerrero.
CM Punk could be said to have SES but that was more of a cult, and he had Paul Heyman for a year.

The only exception to this phenomenon is John Cena, who never ever needed nor had a manager. The Rock too.

As for how much managers add "nowadays", I suppose it helped the Daniel Bryan "nerd" character to have AJ lee as an on-screen manager cum girlfriend and now he doesn't really need AJ or anybody besides him. Dolph Ziggler is doomed to be Dolph Ziggler with or without Vickie Guerrero/AJ Lee because you need more than just a great manager to become a big deal in the wrestling business something which can proved by the fact that you can't associate a wrestler with Ric Flair and then have him become a big star unless that wrestler really has talent and potential like how Randy Orton had.

My opinion, I think managers are still imporant, depending on which superstar(s) they are paired up with. They are there to help potential superstars get over. Look at current managers of Paul Heyman, Zeb Coulter, and Ricado Rodriguez. Brock Lesnar wouldn't be where he is now without Pual Heyman. The Real Americans wouldn't be where they are right now without Zeb Coulter, and everyone has lost interest in Del Rio ever since creative decided to seperate him and Ricardo. Would you be as interested in guys such as the ones I listed if it wasn't for their managers? What happned with Alberto del Rio is an example of why managers are still important in today's wrestling industry.

My opinion, I think managers are still imporant, depending on which superstar(s) they are paired up with. They are there to help potential superstars get over. Look at current managers of Paul Heyman, Zeb Coulter, and Ricado Rodriguez. Brock Lesnar wouldn't be where he is now without Pual Heyman. The Real Americans wouldn't be where they are right now without Zeb Coulter, and everyone has lost interest in Del Rio ever since creative decided to seperate him and Ricardo. Would you be as interested in guys such as the ones I listed if it wasn't for their managers? What happned with Alberto del Rio is an example of why managers are still important in today's wrestling industry.

Well, I'm actually more interested in Del Rio after he lost the title and started feuding with Batista.

I guess the main thing is that managers are gonan work wonders if they get paired up with a good worker in the ring, because we saw how Curtis Axel and Ryback flopped.

I think managers today add 2 things, a mouthpiece for those being pushed that don't speak well and instant heat. The 2 top managers in WWE now are Heyman and Zeb Colter. Heyman has the speaking chops and because we've despised him for so long as soon as he comes out we don't care why we hate him, we just know that we hate him. Colter is a little different. The former Dirty Dutch Mantell has shown great mic skills but he was given the part of a character that is anti-anything not born in the US. That character is automatically polarizing and he plays it well and makes you really dislike him.

Unlike the past where managers interfered and were more a part of matches, I think the right managers today can bring interest and attention if used correctly.

Managers are still very important. There are a lot of guys now that have the look, they can wrestle but they're lacking the one thing they need to get over: Great mic work. If you have manager that can talk, that can help get a guy over that can't talk.

Look at Zeb Colter with the Real Americans. Swagger and Cesaro both suck on the mic but with Colter as a mouthpiece, they've become an entertaining team and it's help Cesaro a lot.

How many guys has Vickie helped? You can pair her with anyone and it's immediate heat.

I think in the past managers at times were "bigger" than the superstar they "managed" but that's not the case anymore. I think now they're strictly there to help out guys that WWE likes but who can't talk or draw heat if they're a heel.

If you saw Taker vs Lesnar last night, this answered that question. Heyman played the role of manager perfectly. He didn't interfere, he didn't add extra heat (that had already happened). We all know this is scripted but the way he was yelling at Lesnar and motivating and egging him on...that's what wrestling envisioned with the concept of managers.

Lesnar proves that Managers are vital for certain guys. They tried having Brock come back and talk by himself when he first returned. It was hilarious in its stupidity. Then Heyman returned and talked for him and it was much easier to take him seriously as a threat again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back