How I Met Your Mother

The logical side of me was incredibly pleased by the ending. The emotional side was not ready to accept the mother dying and Ted and Robin getting back together.

But the logical side gets it. Ted was telling this story because he genuinely wants to talk with his kids about their mom but is also having those old feelings for Robin again. I'm really impressed that the writers had this ending figured out all along and stuck to it. They threw twists at us to keep us guessing and become invested. Ted still loves the mother, that will never end but he can't live in his stories. Robin really did love Barney, but she couldn't make him happy. But she never stopped thinking about Ted. It's understandable, Ted may act and dream like a fairy tale, but life is not a fairy tale.

It was really nice to see the way they gave us scenes beyond the wedding. I really enjoyed them. As someone who lost their mom when they were young, I can tell you that it is really brave for Ted to talk about the mom at all. My dad has barely uttered a word about my mom. I can understand why the scene where she was sick fell short. Some things are too difficult to relive. I think if the haters can put themselves in Ted's shoes they would appreciate that and the episode more.

All in all I liked the finale, when it first ended I was definitely part of that 1% jmt was talking about but after letting the ending sink in for a night I liked how they wrapped it up and it made sense. Last week I didn't think I would accept Ted going after Robin again, just because it would have been a series of progression down the toilet but it wasn't like that at all. When Ted met the mother it was obvious he was head over heels for her and at no point during the time spent with the mother was he pining for Robin, he found happiness with Tracy and that was awesome to see, even at a time where Robin was regretting not marrying Ted in the first place. I didn't see him going after Robin an issue because he gave his heart to Tracy, but after he moved on from her he found his old feelings for Robin. With Teds arc I was satisfied, even though he was with Robin it wasn't done in a way where it crippled his character progression. Plus the initial meeting with the mother.......... NAILED IT!

Speaking of character progression it was heartbreaking to see Barney go back to his old womanizing ways, it was fun and nostalgic but sad as well. After a divorce though it would make sense for someone like Barney to devise anogher playbook and go back to where he was as its what he did the 1st time he broke up with Robin. With that said my favorite part of the episode was Barney holding his daughter for the 1st time, it was good closure for the Barnacle and I'm glad he got a happy ending.

In regards to Lilly and Marshall it was pretty much what one would expect, a nice ending for them but there isn't much to say on it.

As a whole i feel it was a strong close but a strong close a lot of people won't accept. I can understand why a lot of people HATED the fact Ted was with Robin and how Barney went back to his old ways after his divorce. Its not an ending for everyone but an ending I enjoyed nonetheless. All in all it was shown that its not only about loving someone its also about the needs of that person, thats why Barney and Robin didn't work and that's why its totally understandable Ted ended up with the mother and then Robin.

I do get where did they go and get logic in all they did but have a problem with ending because makes some things in show kinda pointles Why all focusing on Ted and mother I do get it but just turns out that he tells the story so he could move on Robin again. But: Why all character develpment on Barney and his relationship with Robin thru the show if they are divorced after that and Barney returned to his usuall self? Why make Robin fall from Ted and Ted for Robin after countless times when they ended up together and concluded that they are not right for eachother?

Would be fine ending if they finished series few seasons before but right now after all character development just seems little bit off. I mean I like the show but after all that happened thru series was expecting little bit different outcome...

I don't know why some expected the writers to provide the main focus to a character that was only introduced in the 9th and last season.

I thought it because she was the character for whom the show was named.

All through the years, we waited for her and as we grew to care for Ted and hoped he would eventually find the happiness a great guy like him deserved ......Tracy was always at the end of the rainbow. The fact we went 9 years wondering about her, yet not even learning her name until 9 years (less 3 minutes) had gone by is indicative of how she was always in the back of our minds, exactly where the show's producers wanted her to be.

Since they dropped the hint two episodes earlier that she might not survive, I was ready for the other shoe to drop, yet hoped the final scene of the series would show Ted sitting with his two kids......and having Mom walk into the picture.

I suppose many were glad to see Ted show up at Robin's place in the very last scene.....and the conflict is interesting: for many years, I hoped it would all end up with Ted & Robin together, yet Ted always referred to her as "Aunt" Robin in speaking to his kids, intentionally leading us to believe they never got together. In retrospect, once Robin & Barney divorced, I should have seen this coming.

I didn't, and spent most of the last episode rooting against Ted & Robin ever happening, simply because I wanted Tracy to live and didn't believe a comedy series would wind up with Ted finally getting the happiness he so richly deserved, and losing it........only to have the possibility of finding it again.

Never mind fairy tales; life is tough. I loved the episode and believe they told it just the way it should be told.

I'll talk about the positives first because there were plenty of them. In fact, as Barney would put it the first 40 minutes were LEGEN....wait for it....DARY. LEGENDARY!!!

The Barney/ Robin arc was pitch perfect. Robin has always struck me as the kind of woman who is hot but has few other qualities. She is cold, manipulative, arrogant, basically someone who can never be the cause for someone else's happiness. Barney found it the hard way. It was kind of sad seeing him back to his womanizing ways after Robin left him, but I think it was meant to be that way. Then, he found love again in the form of his daughter and it was good to see. It's a stereotype that most womanizers sober up after the birth of a child, but it worked well here.

Marshall and Lily, there isn't much to say, but Marshall's story arc was realistic and likable. He struggled initially but finally fulfilled his dream of becoming a judge. I wonder what became of Lily's career but it's not really a complaint.

Finally, let's come to Ted. It was awesome to see him happy. In fact, in the group he ended up as the happiest person right upto Tracy's death, which was heartwarming to see after having seen him whining for such a long time. The first meeting with Tracy was top stuff as was seeing Robin realize that she should have probably chosen Ted.

Now to the bad part. All this awesomeness is the reason why I absolutely feel like going Dexter Morgan on the creators. See, according to me, HIMYM was a story about a guy(Ted) falling for the wrong girl( Robin) but eventually getting to his destination(Tracy) with the help of a little something called destiny. It was a story that said you might not make the right decisions all the time but eventually everything will be quite all right, even if it is quite different from what you imagined.

Instead, Ted's daughter changed the whole damn story!!! She made it about Ted missing Robin!!! Which means that even when he was with Tracy, he did have feelings for Robin. In fact, one can argue that the only reason Tracy/ Ted worked out was because he did not see Robin enough. True love is the thing that helps you forget all your past infatuations. It should have been like Barney's mermaid/ manatee theory. Robin should have appeared like a manatee to Ted.

I don't think Tracy should have died. Ted, of all people deserved to be happy. But even if she had to die, Ted should have never ended up with Robin. The Ted character is such that he could have been happy living with Tracy's memories for the rest of his life. That would have been a bittersweet ending. Instead what we got was a fairytale ending, just not the fairytale we wanted to see.

In short, I believe that the ending is a betrayal of the show's premise as well as of it's main character(Ted). For years, I've defended it against people who called it a Friends ripoff and now it's become precisely that with it's ultra neat ending.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that this ending justifies the things Ted should not have done. You know, chasing Robin, bowing down to her every wish, going to hell and back for the locket when he should have moved on. What lesson should we learn from this? That even if a girl you have feelings for friendzones you, you should keep having feelings for her anyway because, one day, when you are 60, you may eventually get her. :rolleyes:

I dunno, Ted and the mother pull it off and it seems like an ok ending. Kinda bummed its over. I have followed all seasons grown to love Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan and it just hit me like a ton of rocks that its over.

(sigh)

Watched the finale last night with some friends. Here are my thoughts:

I really enjoyed it. I liked the time jumping and how we got closure with all the main characters. Once Barney and Robin said they were divorced, I knew Ted and Robin would end up together.

I was sad for Barney at first but then I was happy as I realized they were trying to show us that Barney wasn't happy unless he was "Barney" and that's ultimately what happened. He got to go back to being Barney and in the ultimate stroke of irony, they gave Barney Stinson a daughter.

I do think that the ending itself was a little contrived and too convenient. I can understand how some fans feel like the entire show was a waste of time, by having Tracy die. I agreed, up until the final scene with Future Ted and Future Ted's kids. When Future Penny said the story wasn't about how he met their mother, it was about how he loves Robin, it all made sense. That really is what the show was about. Ted and Robin were destined to be together from the start, and they emphasized that point, right to the bitter end. How Ted met Tracy was just part of the overall story with Ted and Robin.

As for the actual meeting between Tracy and Ted, I thought it was anti-climactic. They had already shown us the train station and we knew they met there. I did enjoy the meeting and I thought the exchange about the initials and the umbrella was a really clever way to reveal The Mother's name. I guess I just felt like the "big moment" was so built up and it was really nothing.

On a quick side note (sorry didn't look up thread to see if someone posted this already), the producers said they filmed the final scene with the kids during season 2 (so that they wouldn't have to worry about the kids looking different several years later when the series ended), and made them sign confidentiality agreements. They knew exactly what the ending was going to be and they worked backwards from that.

Anyway, very sad to see it go but it was definitely time. I thought the 9th season dragged on and really didn't get good until the last half of it.

Instead, Ted's daughter changed the whole damn story!!! She made it about Ted missing Robin!!! Which means that even when he was with Tracy, he did have feelings for Robin. In fact, one can argue that the only reason Tracy/ Ted worked out was because he did not see Robin enough. True love is the thing that helps you forget all your past infatuations. It should have been like Barney's mermaid/ manatee theory. Robin should have appeared like a manatee to Ted.

I don't think Tracy should have died. Ted, of all people deserved to be happy. But even if she had to die, Ted should have never ended up with Robin. The Ted character is such that he could have been happy living with Tracy's memories for the rest of his life. That would have been a bittersweet ending. Instead what we got was a fairytale ending, just not the fairytale we wanted to see.

In short, I believe that the ending is a betrayal of the show's premise as well as of it's main character(Ted). For years, I've defended it against people who called it a Friends ripoff and now it's become precisely that with it's ultra neat ending.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that this ending justifies the things Ted should not have done. You know, chasing Robin, bowing down to her every wish, going to hell and back for the locket when he should have moved on. What lesson should we learn from this? That even if a girl you have feelings for friendzones you, you should keep having feelings for her anyway because, one day, when you are 60, you may eventually get her. :rolleyes:

First, I want to say, you made some good points and I agree in general. However, I looked at it like this: After Future Penny said the story was about Robin, I realized that really is what the show was about. That was the whole point of the show, not Ted meeting the Mother. The writers lead us down this long twisting path about The Mother, which we thought the premise of the show was about but really, if you back and think about it, Ted meeting The Mother, was all part of the path for him to end up with Robin. The woman on the bench at the Farhampton train station talked about destiny and really everything that happened to Ted over the course of the show was destiny and his destiny was to be with Robin. If he hadn't met the Mother, he would have moved to Chicago and probably never would have seen Robin again.

Sure, we can accuse the writers of wasting our time and misleading us, and I agree, they kind of did, but the writers took a chance and closed it out the way they felt it should have ended and what I believe they assumed most fans wanted.

For the record, I didn't want Ted and Robin to end up together but I didn't hate what they did nor did I hate the finale.

It was a total gut punch. All the happiness the show built over nine years was undone in the final hour. The takeaway, basically, was "life is dark and ugly, people drift apart and friendships die. So do marriages. Not everyone ends up happy, and your mother died of cancer, so is it OK if I fuck someone else now?"

It ruined the show, IMO.

I think they tried to be too smart for their own good, at the sake of a large body of their audience. This show was never about this type of complexity and realism. This is How I Met Your Mother, not Requiem For a Dream. Like Friends, it was about telling a long-term story with a feel-good ending, except HIMYM forewent that in place of a more "realistic" (dark) ending with only a glimmer of hope. Like so many series, it tried to do too much with too little time, instead of giving the audience the simple, and correct answer.

You know how this series should have ended? Happily. Happily in not needing every character to go through 16 HIMYM years of misery to reach it.

For a drama, this ending would have been appropriate. For a comedy, it just wasn't. Not to me.

A lot of mixed feelings on this. I supposed I'll see what I can think of off the top of my head.

Firstly, I wanna say right now that the moment Barney met his daughter absolutely blew me away. I mean, here was this guy with emotional issues, but we wanted him to change and be happy. And we thought that Robin could do that for him, but in reality, she couldn't because she's nearly as bad as he is. And we saw him regress into old Barney, which was sad. But when he met his daughter, he found it. He found what he needed to change, he found something to change for. One of the highlights of the episode.

The meeting with the mother was pretty great too. The old lady providing the comedic relief worked, and the conversation with Tracy felt so natural. Enjoyed it.

But it really sucks that Tracy died. I mean, the writers and Cristin Millioti made her too likeable. We actually wanted Ted to be with her forever. To me, she was more likeable that Robin, so killing her off, though we saw it coming, was a punch to the gut.

Also, those last few minutes kind of annoyed me. The fact that, apparently, this entire story was Ted's way of convincing his kids how he feels about Robin, and then the kids are like "Yeah, we know you love Robin." Well, that's an awful waste of 9 seasons.

As for the actual ending itself, it's interesting, to say the least. HIMYM has always been realistic and human, mostly. Ted getting with Robin in the end didn't feel like the fairytale ending to me because I liked the mother, and I'm indifferent to Robin when she's not with Barney. So I feel like that wasn't necessarily a happy ending, but actually quite a sad ending. Because Ted can't get over his obsession with Robin, despite the fact that she's terrible for him. The fact that Ted may have loved Robin the entire time he was with Tracy, or is even forcing himself to love Robin because he lost the love of his life is kind of crushing. But also strangely fitting of the character of Ted.

So yeah, the moment Tracy died, the potential for a true happy ending went out the window. Instead, I see the ending as either sad or very sad, depending on how Ted truly feels about Robin. Which we don't quite know for sure. He either loved another woman during his marriage, or is looking for comfort in a woman who isn't right for him.

I’m solidly in the middle when it comes to the series finale of How I Met Your Mother, as I neither loathed it like I’ve seen so many say, nor did it find it to be tremendously satisfying. Rather, it was an emotional hour of television that swung to give viewers a satisfying conclusion to the show, but could only hit a fly ball to the warning track.

One of the ways I think the show went terribly wrong in the finale is how they handled Barney and Robin, and their divorce. Yes, these were two people with extreme commitment issues, and people with commitment issues need a partner with a strong mooring, the ability to pull their other back before they slip away. Neither Robin nor Barney was capable of being that for their partner, so it’s easy to understand why they divorced. It’s just a disappointing thing that while it was made clear that Ted would meet the mother at the wedding, the final season spent much of its time devoting itself to Barney and Robin’s wedding. Yes, they showed these commitment issues even to the day of the wedding. Robin, propositioning Ted to take off with her, then when he turned her down, fleeing the church. If not for the mother’s intervention, Robin likely would have left. Barney’s attempt was more backhanded, claiming that he didn’t have the perfect tie, but it was an attempt to flee himself. I suppose it’s not a surprise that the pair didn’t work, their first attempt at a relationship did not either. But to have them marry in the penultimate episode of the show, with future Ted Mosby giving the beautiful speech about how Barney and Robin had “vowed to love one another, and as human beings, love is the best thing we do”, only to have them divorce halfway through the first episode of the final hour was a tremendous disappointment. And even though it became apparent that the two of them would not work, especially after Barney knocked up #31, I still held hope that they would reconcile. There was too much investment in the final season in the wedding and their relationship for it to be pushed aside so fast.

Speaking of #31, I wonder if it was Bays and Thomas’ idea to make Barney seem despicable in the end. While some viewers may argue that it was the same Barney we’ld gotten the entire show, it wasn’t. He seemed to have turned a corner in the final season, and despite what appeared to be just pre-wedding jitters wound up being the inability of both to fully commit, he seemed to have changed. But his behavior worsened upon his divorce from Robin, as he went from shooting for sleeping with 7 women in 7 nights to 31 women in 31 nights. And true, no man wants to find out from a one-night stand that they knocked them up, but could Barney have acted more defeated? This was one thing that the show had made clear that Barney did want, a child, and it happened to be the one thing that Robin couldn’t give him. Still, did Barney have to essentially push Robin out of the group by “hitting on every ****ty cop” at the rooftop party? The viewer could make the argument that it was a way of compensating for Barney, but it seemed so unnecessarily cruel. And having Barney cycle through 31 women in 31 nights before getting one pregnant was probably the worst way the show could have gone about giving him a child. And despite his apparent desire for one, he was depressed on learning he was having a child,though the delight he showed in fatherhood, and the way he lectured the two young women who came into the bar showed that perhaps, fatherhood was the best thing for him. And it couldn't have happened with Robin, and Barney could give far more to a daughter then he could to Robin. I didn't like the divorce, but the finale left Barney in the best possible place.

As for the mother, the way she was treated was the worst of all. This was obviously the plan from the start, as Ted’s two children were the same age they had been when the show started 8 seasons ago, and they were pining for their dad to move on to Aunt Robin. The show, however, was called ‘How I Met Your Mother’, not how ‘Ted and Robin wound up together’. But from the dress, age, and reaction of Ted’s children, this was the plan all along, apparently. And for this viewer, it was a foolish one. Yes, the children were correct: The story had hardly been about the mother , it had been about Ted and his friends. For me, that made the moment Ted finally found the one, a kindred spirit, which Tracy truly was, even more important. But the show quickly cycled through that, having shown only a few moments of bliss(and Ted making a tremendous sacrifice to his career to be with Tracy). They rushed through the wedding of the two people who were supposed to be the focal point of the series, and skipped quickly ahead to Tracy’s illness and death. I did like the tie-in with the umbrella, though I never guessed how significant the umbrella would be to the pair getting together. And throughout the show, most of Ted’s relationships seemed to be with women he simply wasn’t suited to be with. If anyone needed a win, especially post-Stella and forward, it was Ted. And Ted got a win when it came to finding the mother, as they seemed uniquely meant for one another. Her death wasn’t shocking, why else tell the story in the first place? But it felt cheap, an end around to get Ted and Robin together without Robin having to(not that she was able) become the one thing that was a deal-breaker for her: Having kids. But it did show the incredible commitment, and truth in Ted’s words when he said that the moment he met Tracy, he knew he would love her forever. Losing a spouse, I imagine, would be the worst loss of all. Ted’s not Barney, so I would never expect him to cope, however strong the grief, by going out after conquests.

In essence, what I’m saying is this. Six years told the viewer how important and beloved the mother was to Ted, but the part in which the finale cheated was in not showing us how important she was to him. She simply wasn’t a presence in his life long enough to be portrayed that way, even in the heartbreaking death-bed scene.

Marshall and Lily felt like background players more then anything in the finale, as they were mostly the comedic elements of the episode. I’m ok with that, because their relationship was the focus of a good portion of the show, and it was structured as a relationship that was solid. There was little ground left to cover with them, and other then the pronouncement of Lily being pregnant with her third child, nothing else from them was really needed, other then some comedy. Marshall declaring that he was running for State Senate and would be called ‘Supreme Fudge’ soon was a great line. When in doubt, bet on Jason Segal to deliver.

In the end, I’m ok with Ted and Robin being together. Do I like the way they got there? No. But it felt right. Ted was the one who went and retrieved the locket for Robin. When Robin was panicking on her wedding day, it was Ted she wanted to see. Of course, we find out later that she wanted to run away with him, but Ted had always been that stabilizing consistency in Robin’s life. When Robin found out she couldn’t have kids, it was Ted who forewent going back to Cleveland for Christmas, and made a spectacle of lights and gave Robin a shoulder to cry on. Robin, a nightmare in regards to commitment, could find no better partner in Ted. This is best spelled out in how long he waited, and only pursued her after being urged on by his children. For every person, grief is subjective. Each of us may experience the same loss, such as both children did with the loss of their mother. But I guarantee that each grieved differently, and as both cycled through the stages of grief, they reached the point of acceptance at different times, and differently. Both acceptance of their mother being gone, but acceptance of their father being with another woman, namely Robin. As for Ted, it showed the level of commitment and love he was willing and able to give to a woman, and that’s exactly the partner that Robin needed. Someone who would love her through everything, and could offer her such a strong commitment. As I said, a person with commitment issues needs a person who will fight and battle for a relationship before the other slips away. Barney and Robin couldn’t be that for each other.

Ted, in the six years he spent single following the death of the mother, showed that he could be exactly that for Robin. His appearance outside her apartment with the blue French horn showed that, as he had felt towards the mother, his love for Robin had been true from the first time he had laid eyes on her. His grand gesture of stealing the horn had been proclaimed as one of love for Robin. It's just that through the years, that love had grown into friendship and now that Ted had worked through his grief, it was apparent there was romantic love there for Robin. Just like the yellow umbrella was what drew Ted and the mother together, it was fitting that the horn was what Ted showed up with outside of Robin’s apartment, as it was from their first date when Ted blurted out "I love you".

While it mattered how they got there, at the same time, it didn’t. That’s the crazy thing about love. It’s not rational, and it doesn’t make sense. How I Met your Mother is a show I’ll miss, and while I didn’t like some of the ways they got to their ending(Cristin Milioti especially got a bad deal), the ending itself felt appropriate. Ted’s children had been right. The story hadn’t really been about the mother, it had been about Ted and his friends and their adventures.

And once Ted and Robin both worked through the issues that plagued them from their first marriages, the timing was right for them to be together. Perfect scenario, perfect world? No chance. But it's a real one in the world in which we live. If HIMYM had simply been "just a comedy", it would have felt completely wrong. But the show incorporated so much drama in its eight seasons(Marshall's dad's death, Stella leaving Ted at the altar, Barney meeting his dad, Robin finding out she couldn't have kids, etc.) that labeling it simply as a comedy would be a misnomer. At its heart, it was a drama that incorporated some very funny elements that worked well together over its eight seasons.

Because Ted can't get over his obsession with Robin, despite the fact that she's terrible for him. The fact that Ted may have loved Robin the entire time he was with Tracy, or is even forcing himself to love Robin because he lost the love of his life is kind of crushing. But also strangely fitting of the character of Ted.

So yeah, the moment Tracy died, the potential for a true happy ending went out the window. Instead, I see the ending as either sad or very sad, depending on how Ted truly feels about Robin. Which we don't quite know for sure. He either loved another woman during his marriage, or is looking for comfort in a woman who isn't right for him.

I take some issue with this. I think it is abundantly clear that Ted loved the mother enough to the point that any other feelings he had or struggled with ate irrelevant. Although I would lean towards Ted rekindling his feelings long after the mother died. Which seems totally fair. On top of that you have to remember that we are in 2030. Both Ted and Robin have lived a lot of life in that time and are undoubtedly different people. It is likely that Robin's hang ups (marriage, career, kids) are no longer big issues for someone around 50 years old.

I take some issue with this. I think it is abundantly clear that Ted loved the mother enough to the point that any other feelings he had or struggled with ate irrelevant. Although I would lean towards Ted rekindling his feelings long after the mother died. Which seems totally fair. On top of that you have to remember that we are in 2030. Both Ted and Robin have lived a lot of life in that time and are undoubtedly different people. It is likely that Robin's hang ups (marriage, career, kids) are no longer big issues for someone around 50 years old.

Not only this, but think about what broke Robin and Ted up the first time. The deal breaker between Ted and Robin was that Ted wanted kids, and Robin did not. That was it. There was no infidelity, no careers getting in the way. As I said in my incredibly long post, I think Ted is perfect for Robin, and vice versa. Both of them learned hard lessons from disastrous(albeit for different reasons) first marriages, and Ted's ability to commit and stick through the times someone like Robin with commitment issues felt like running away made him the perfect partner. And it was Ted who had truly always been there for her. When she found out she couldn't have kids. Retrieving the locket.

The love that Ted had for Robin from the beginning of the show changed, especially with meeting the mother, falling deeply in love, then watching her die. But it also matured, as did Robin. She came to the wedding of the man she still loved, and as the kids pointed out, they were always together. Robin was obviously a different woman, more mature and able to handle a stronger commitment. And much of that can be attributed to being older, but much of it could also be attributed to Ted. Robin could never trust that Barney would always be there. The only vow he could make to her was to never lie to her. That's not much to build on.

In comparison, Ted and Robin's was a relationship that only failed because they couldn't agree on having kids. The Ted and Robin that were able to rekindle were both more mature and world-wise. Ted, not having his head in the clouds about the perfect romance, and Robin, not the complete skeptic. She saw through both Marshall and Lilly and Ted and the mother that commitment and stability was possible. How they got there was poor in many ways, but it made sense, all things considered.

I don't understand the negativity. Am I the only one who felt nothing for Tracy? She was sweet and all but I'm not going to grow overly attached to a character that was introduced only a season ago. After the reveal at the end, the whole series finally made sense to me. For Ted to tell a story for that long and to have the entire focus being on how much Ted loved Robin all the way up until he actually met the mother, if I was his kid sitting there listening to him I'd be thinking, "Dude, Dad is way more into Aunt Robin than he is Mom."

Having it end with Marshall & Lily, Ted & Tracy, and Barney & Robin all living happily ever after would have been an awful ending. The episode had it's fair share of cheesy moments (the scene under the umbrella was so bad I almost stopped watching. Seriously one of the worst scenes I've ever seen in a TV show) but to end with the predictable cheesy "Everyone is married and happy and in love!!! The Universe is amazing! Tralalala!" ending would have been the ultimate bummer. I waited 9 years and trudged these last 2 awful seasons to see how this fucking story ended and was pleasantly surprised that they actually ended with a swerve that made the whole series feel real. Not everyone lives to old age, not everyone finds the love of their life on the first try, not everyone who has children stay together, not every marriage lasts forever, and life isn't a fairy tale. That doesn't equate to a lack of happiness, that equates to reality.

I don't understand the negativity. Am I the only one who felt nothing for Tracy? She was sweet and all but I'm not going to grow overly attached to a character that was introduced only a season ago. After the reveal at the end, the whole series finally made sense to me. For Ted to tell a story for that long and to have the entire focus being on how much Ted loved Robin all the way up until he actually met the mother, if I was his kid sitting there listening to him I'd be thinking, "Dude, Dad is way more into Aunt Robin than he is Mom."

Having it end with Marshall & Lily, Ted & Tracy, and Barney & Robin all living happily ever after would have been an awful ending. The episode had it's fair share of cheesy moments (the scene under the umbrella was so bad I almost stopped watching. Seriously one of the worst scenes I've ever seen in a TV show) but to end with the predictable cheesy "Everyone is married and happy and in love!!! The Universe is amazing! Tralalala!" ending would have been the ultimate bummer. I waited 9 years and trudged these last 2 awful seasons to see how this fucking story ended and was pleasantly surprised that they actually ended with a swerve that made the whole series feel real. Not everyone lives to old age, not everyone finds the love of their life on the first try, not everyone who has children stay together, not every marriage lasts forever, and life isn't a fairy tale. That doesn't equate to a lack of happiness, that equates to reality.

I felt the same way about Tracy. Sure she had a few moments of humor, but ultimately her impact on me wasnt huge. Now after the finale I see why. She wasnt meant to.

They answered the question of how they met & had some breadcrumbs to follow giving a backstory before Tracy was ever on screen with Ted. So in that regard all they needed was someone funny & sweet that fit with Ted's character. This whole thing was a bit of sleight of hand because while paying attention to one thing, they reveal in the end what we all should have seen coming. The tale of how he met Tracy was just a guideline leading us along to the real point of the story.

I liked the way it turned out because in the long run it fits better than "Here is mom & we all lived happily ever after except for Robin." That would have been kind of a bullshit ending to an important character in the series.

First, I want to say, you made some good points and I agree in general. However, I looked at it like this: After Future Penny said the story was about Robin, I realized that really is what the show was about. That was the whole point of the show, not Ted meeting the Mother. The writers lead us down this long twisting path about The Mother, which we thought the premise of the show was about but really, if you back and think about it, Ted meeting The Mother, was all part of the path for him to end up with Robin. The woman on the bench at the Farhampton train station talked about destiny and really everything that happened to Ted over the course of the show was destiny and his destiny was to be with Robin. If he hadn't met the Mother, he would have moved to Chicago and probably never would have seen Robin again.

The reason a Ted/ Robin ending does not feel earned to me is because of the manner in which Robin has treated Ted for years. Robin/ Ted has never been an epic romance, it has been a dysfunctional relationship. From the things he did and the way he behaved around her, it was clear to everyone that Ted had feelings for Robin throughout the series and he wasted his life on her while she never really reciprocated his feelings. To borrow a concept from the show, Ted was on Robin's hook. She kept leading him on saying that someday they may end up together and yet whenever Ted tried to take a step in the forward direction, she shot him down. The only times she really felt something for Ted was when he was getting married to Stella and in the finale seeing him with Tracy. She truly realized his worth when he slipped away from her. That does not sound like a nice person to me.

Tracy was everything Robin wasn't. Warm, caring and someone who loved Ted as much as he loved her. Having been with Tracy Ted should have realized how foolish he was in chasing after Robin for all these years. Tracy should have helped Ted close the chapter of Robin in his life. In fact, if his kids had been listening to his story with any sort of attention, they should have told him that Robin was not right for Ted.

Let me just put it this way. If the destination was Robin, well then it was a pretty sucky destination. She is rather cold hearted, egoistic and selfish. Ted deserves better.

I thought it because she was the character for whom the show was named.

All through the years, we waited for her and as we grew to care for Ted and hoped he would eventually find the happiness a great guy like him deserved ......Tracy was always at the end of the rainbow. The fact we went 9 years wondering about her, yet not even learning her name until 9 years (less 3 minutes) had gone by is indicative of how she was always in the back of our minds, exactly where the show's producers wanted her to be.

Since they dropped the hint two episodes earlier that she might not survive, I was ready for the other shoe to drop, yet hoped the final scene of the series would show Ted sitting with his two kids......and having Mom walk into the picture.

I suppose many were glad to see Ted show up at Robin's place in the very last scene.....and the conflict is interesting: for many years, I hoped it would all end up with Ted & Robin together, yet Ted always referred to her as "Aunt" Robin in speaking to his kids, intentionally leading us to believe they never got together. In retrospect, once Robin & Barney divorced, I should have seen this coming.

I didn't, and spent most of the last episode rooting against Ted & Robin ever happening, simply because I wanted Tracy to live and didn't believe a comedy series would wind up with Ted finally getting the happiness he so richly deserved, and losing it........only to have the possibility of finding it again.

Never mind fairy tales; life is tough. I loved the episode and believe they told it just the way it should be told.
The title was a misdirect. As future Penny pointed out, Ted was ready to move on with his life but wanted his children's blessing. Future Ted is still the same procrastinating guy we see throughout the show who needed an external push/approval to do almost anything. He is also still the rambling teacher who takes too long to get to the point of his stories, hence the show.

I guess the anger for many is due to a disconnect between what the characters have experienced in the flash forwards and what we experienced as viewers. As mentioned by some, the characters were no longer in their late 20s or mid 30s that we have grown familiar with, but are in their 40s and 50s in the flash forward scenes. Ted and Robin are older and probably experienced a lot more than what we were shown. Heck the timespan of 2014-2030 is longer than the the 9 seasons of the whole show.

As for the mother, the way she was treated was the worst of all. This was obviously the plan from the start, as Ted’s two children were the same age they had been when the show started 8 seasons ago, and they were pining for their dad to move on to Aunt Robin. The show, however, was called ‘How I Met Your Mother’, not how ‘Ted and Robin wound up together’. But from the dress, age, and reaction of Ted’s children, this was the plan all along, apparently. And for this viewer, it was a foolish one.

The producers revealed that they filmed the final scene with the children, during season 2 and made the children sign confidentiality agreements. They did this because otherwise, they'd be a lot older when the series ended and they couldn't have filmed that scene. So, that was the plan all along, or at least since season 2, and they worked backwards to create the story.

Initially I was disappointed by the finale. The general feeling is that something was missing but I think they ending was to be expected. It was the formulaic sitcom ending. The main characters are happy. A darker, perhaps more realistic ending would have been a final scene with the mother on her deathbed but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do that.

Marshall and Lilly have lived out their dreams, are still together and have three children. Barney has finally found someone to make him happy. Robin has had a wonderful career and is with the man she spent the most time chasing. Ted has two children and is with the women he wanted most. Everyone is happy which is all you can expect from a sitcom finale.

Yes the mother died but her character was barely part of the TV show. We only saw her towards the end and therefore felt less attached to her then any of the others. Robin and Ted was the traditional happy ending and that may well be the problem but it made sense. I'm honestly not sure what else they could have done to have a memorable final episode after a wonderful 9 series.

Yes the mother died but her character was barely part of the TV show. We only saw her towards the end and therefore felt less attached to her then any of the others

You're right, but in another sense. she was more than just a final season throw-in because we spent 9 years waiting for her...... and when she showed up, it seemed to me she was everything Ted always wanted and deserved: the practicality and humor of Stella, the love and affection of Victoria, the cold edge of Robin....and perhaps a part of every woman he had feelings for along the way. Ted is the epitome of a good guy; we wanted him to be happy....and finally, he was.....until they pulled the rug out from under us. Great TV, but hard to accept.

I couldn't believe how much I cared for the character played by Cristin Milioti in the short time we knew her. Partially because of her portrayal, and partially because I followed the show for its entire run, she was everything I ever wanted her to be.....I felt as if we had been waiting for her along with Ted. During the years, it seemed we might be disappointed when she finally showed up, but that sure wasn't the case......so much so that when the daughter said: "Mom's been gone for six years" it was the first time I truly accepted the Mother was gone and was so disappointed that I couldn't be happy to see Ted finally wind up with Robin.

Sure, it's just a TV show, but if you can't get invested in the characters, what's the sense of watching?:)

Alyson Hannigan said there's about 18 additional minutes of the finale that had to be cut, so I'm sure that will be released eventually when the DVDs come out. Should be interesting to see what those scenes entail.

Alyson Hannigan said there's about 18 additional minutes of the finale that had to be cut, so I'm sure that will be released eventually when the DVDs come out. Should be interesting to see what those scenes entail.

Wild stab in the dark here, but my guess is more misery, unhappiness and life-unraveling.

Don't know why I'd think such a thing...

so much so that when the daughter said: "Mom's been gone for six years" it was the first time I truly accepted the Mother was gone and was so disappointed that I couldn't be happy to see Ted finally wind up with Robin.

But couldn't that also be a problem? Because I get the feeling the producers wanted us to be happy that Ted and Robin finally got together... I think they wanted to try and rebuild that Joey-Rachel, will they- won't they angle, for about nine seasons, and they wanted us to have the same sort of happiness that people had for Joey and Rachel. And I never got that sense.

To me, the show became less "How I Met Your Mother", and more "How I Settled For Your Mother So I Could Have The Kids I Wanted And Then Went Back To The Real Love Of My Life Once She Died". And that's... Kind of a douche move, really. It came off as the way for Ted Moseby to get everything he wanted, without him having to actually make sacrifice. Now, all of the characters around him had to sacrifice certain things. Robin had to sacrifice her friendships (more on that later) to have her career become what she wanted it. Marshall and Lily had to sacrifice their dream that things could stay the same (Lily especially). Even Barney has something to sacrifice from this, althought it's a very superficial change, and I'd argue it's not even much of a change, really.

Ted? Not really; dude can still have children, as well as get the girl he really wanted. After a certain point, it wasn't about Ted wanting to find a great woman and wanting to be in a loving relationship but about Ted wanting to have that family and that perfect wife. It's almost stepfordian in how fixated he was on some things and how absolutely incapable of compromise he was. And this includes Robin, a woman he was so greedy for that he couldn't allow her or his other best friend to move on but whose infertility also made it impossible for her to fulfill his fantasies of perfect bliss to a 100%.

Instead of, you know, growing up and maturing, he kept jumping from woman to woman, looking for that robin-esque womb on legs he could accept as fitting mate. That's why he doesn't care about being a dick on his best friend's wedding, why he doesn't think twice about possibly ruining his best friend's relationship, why he tells a countless row of women that she's the one. But that doesn't really make it a bad ending; I mean, if anything, I guess it fits his character. So that didn't sour it for me But this did...

I hated the character growth of Robin and Barney. I hated that because Robin had a high-powered busy career that she lost her marriage and spent the next 15 years as a bitter and lonely shrew with no friends. Marshall even calls her "the Yeti" because to call her the Sasquatch isn't accurate, because Sasquatches are nice. Yikes.

Hated Barney "reforming" (for what, the 15th time?) because he has a daughter. His tearful speech to her might have been moving if he didn't 60 seconds prior refer to her mother as "Number 31." As in the thirty first woman he fucked in a single month because ha, ha, he's so wacky!

Eh, not really. He's kind of a misogynist. Kind of a pig.

Really hated Barney lecturing those girls in the bar to dress more conservatively and not drink shots too early in the day. Because of course, the man who has borderline date raped dozens of women has a daughter and then realizes "OMG women are people!" and decides to express this realization by policing other women's clothing and choices.

I guess that's the point I'm getting at... In spite of all the changes we were fed, it didn't feel like any character changed. And that's a problem... Because to me, that isn't realistic. People do change, and grow. Except, of course, if you're on this show.

For the people that are "outraged" or upset by the finale, what would you have done?

Obviously, they couldn't make everyone happy. If they ended it with Ted and The Mother living happily ever after, everyone would have said that was "too predictable," "too cliched," "anti-climactic," etc.

So, they went the way of Robin and Ted together (which we found out, they had planned since at least season 2), and everyone is unhappy (and understandably so).

For the people that are "outraged" or upset by the finale, what would you have done?

Maybe some change or progression to their personality? They essentially stay the exact same, in spite of all of the circumstances that hit them. Barney's still a misogynist, Marshall and Lily are still conservative and hate the change that's coming, and Ted's still a dick. No one really changes, in spite of how much time has passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back