Houston Region, Third Round: Traditional: (3) Randy Savage vs. (6) Terry Funk

Who Wins This Match

• Randy Savage

• Terry Funk

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a third round match in the Houston Region.

This match takes place in the Astrodome in Houston, Texas.

astrodome.jpg

It is a Traditional match.

Rules: In this contest there is no gimmick. A victory can occur by pinfall, submission, count-out or disqualification.

#3 Randy Savage

1.jpg

Vs.

#6 Terry Funk

NWA_Champ_Terry_Funk.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 30 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

Oh wow, two of my favorite wrestlers in this competition meet in round three. It would be one hell of a match, but I give the edge to Randy Savage.

Both men are very skilled wrestlers, and both men have had their fair share of success. Macho Man has had more. He's gone over more big names, had more legendary matches, and all in all has probably had a better career than Terry Funk. In his prime, Randy Savage was only beaten out by Hulk Hogan in terms of star power, and that's not a bad place to be at all. Terry Funk was a big name in his day too, but even he wasn't as big as Harley Race and many other wrestlers from around the world.

The only place where Funk has the advantage is in giving back to wrestling. If Randy Savage never stepped in the squared circle, someone else would have taken his place. Terry Funk was an innovator, and without him, wrestling wouldn't be where it is today.

I still think Savage goes over. When Savage was at the top of his game, he was one of the most dominant wrestlers out there. Funk was always good, but I don't think he was ever as strong a competitor as Savage. I'm going to give Savage the 80/20 edge for now, but I'm interested in hearing some other arguments.

I think both men are formidable wrestlers, but I'm going with my favourite, Randy Savage. Terry Funk is certainly much more than a hardcore wrestler, and I think his arrival in this round would suggest that has filtered through to the board as a whole. However, the fact remains that he was only at the peak of wrestling for quite a brief spell, and once Harley Race was deemed ready to be a long term champion, Funk was out on his arse. Savage on the other hand managed to stay in the main event picture for the best part of 10 years across two monumentally huge wrestling companies. He was able to be a champion as both a face and a heel, and could be relied upon to put on a great match, whoever his opponent. Wily, fast and methodical, Savage has the upper hand.

I am leaning towards Savage.

The bigger name, the most success, bigger victories over ******-name wrestlers and more time at the top as a main event superstar in both of the biggest wrestling companies in the world.

I love Terry Funk. One of the all time legends, multi-time world champion, and had some iconic feuds with the likes of Mick Foley and Ric Flair, but I think the Macho Man may be a step to far for The Funker.

Close call, but Savage with the win

Reactions: TLC
It would shock me if it hadn't happened at some point, but I do not recall seeing a Terry Funk/Randy Savage match..ever.

With that being said, I'm going with Savage. I cannot come up with a good kayfabe argument either way, except for Savage beating bigger names on a bigger stage during his career. I get a big kick out of old Terry Funk matches. He wasn't always the idiot brawler you saw in WCW and the WWF. His "I Quit" Match with Ric Flair shows how tough the guy was/is, and how much heat he could draw. He was also a bit past his prime in 1989. At the end of the day, he isn't Savage, at least not in my book.

I've never seen a Savage match I didn't like, on some level. The guy just knew how to perform, and was the absolute opposite of boring. Also, he's great in tournaments, check WrestleMania IV if you don't buy that.

Savage moves on.

I think I'm going to give this to Terry Funk, being in his home state and having the crowd fully behind him. However much I love the macho man, I just prefer Funk in his innovativeness and would much rather see him get through than savage.

I would venture to say that Savage's three biggest matches were against Steamboat, Hogan, and Warrior. He lost all of them. I'm going with Funk until someone convinces me otherwise.

I would venture to say that Savage's three biggest matches were against Steamboat, Hogan, and Warrior. He lost all of them.

The Hogan match was without a doubt his biggest. But you're either forgetting, or omitting, WrestleMania IV and WrestleMania VIII.

At Mania IV, he won 4 matches in one night to become the WWF champion. While a few of those guys aren't household names, winning four matches in one night is a big deal, especially when you take home the title.

He beat Ric Flair at WrestleMania VIII for the WWF championship as well, in the first half of a double main event. Ric Flair, the guy who made Terry Funk scream I Quit at Clash of the Champions in November of 1989. I would say his match with Flair at WM8 is the second biggest of his WWF career, maybe tied with DiBiase at WM4.

I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but I felt that needed to be pointed out.

I would venture to say that Savage's three biggest matches were against Steamboat, Hogan, and Warrior. He lost all of them. I'm going with Funk until someone convinces me otherwise.

This has got to honestly be the worst post I've ever read in this tournament. It's also the worst excuse someone has ever used to vote against someone.

So let me get this clear so I make sure no one and myself included misunderstands your post. What you're saying here is that because Randy Savage lost 3 big matches he should lose even though he's also won many other big matches. So by the same token since Terry Funk lost the NWA Title to Harley Race, lost to Hulk Hogan too and lost several matches to Ric Flair including an “I Quit” match then he should lose to Randy Savage since he too lost in some pretty big matches.

No, that's not what I'm voting against Funk but I'm merely pointing out the stupid reason you gave. Fact of the matter is a wrestler will lose big matches every once in a while. It happens. However, that does not mean we should vote against someone just because of that. People should at least try giving good reasons such as you choose wrestler A over wrestler B simply because you like him better not pathetic ones like the one you posted in this thread.

The reason I will use to vote against Funk is that I find Randy Savage to be the better overall wrestler. When I watch Randy's matches I usually stay entertained and pay attention. When watching Terry's matches, unless it's a hardcore one, I will easily get distracted and won't be “into it” as much. I'm not trying to belittle Terry as a wrestler, but I do find Randy to be better so that's why he gets my vote here.

This has got to honestly be the worst post I've ever read in this tournament. It's also the worst excuse someone has ever used to vote against someone.

So let me get this clear so I make sure no one and myself included misunderstands your post. What you're saying here is that because Randy Savage lost 3 big matches he should lose even though he's also won many other big matches. So by the same token since Terry Funk lost the NWA Title to Harley Race, lost to Hulk Hogan too and lost several matches to Ric Flair including an “I Quit” match then he should lose to Randy Savage since he too lost in some pretty big matches.

No, that's not what I'm voting against Funk but I'm merely pointing out the stupid reason you gave. Fact of the matter is a wrestler will lose big matches every once in a while. It happens. However, that does not mean we should vote against someone just because of that. People should at least try giving good reasons such as you choose wrestler A over wrestler B simply because you like him better not pathetic ones like the one you posted in this thread.

The reason I will use to vote against Funk is that I find Randy Savage to be the better overall wrestler. When I watch Randy's matches I usually stay entertained and pay attention. When watching Terry's matches, unless it's a hardcore one, I will easily get distracted and won't be “into it” as much. I'm not trying to belittle Terry as a wrestler, but I do find Randy to be better so that's why he gets my vote here.

Alrighty.

I'm voting Funk because I prefer him more than I do Savage. Funk was underrated as a wrestler and I refuse to pigeonhole him only as a hardcore wrestler like many have done in the past. I will take Funk's career any day of the week over Savage's.

Anything else?

Alrighty.

I'm voting Funk because I prefer him more than I do Savage. Funk was underrated as a wrestler and I refuse to pigeonhole him only as a hardcore wrestler like many have done in the past. I will take Funk's career any day of the week over Savage's.

Anything else?
But Terry Funk lost to Harley Race, Hulk Hogan AND Ric Flair. Three guys considered to be the some of the greatest of all times. ALL TIMES! Sorry, I had to get out of my system. Anyways, if your real personal preference is Funk over Savage then so be it. I can't tell you who to like and not to like. Both men are great wrestlers who have accomplished a lot in their time so either choice here is not a wrong choice. I personally prefer Randy as a wrestler, a promo cutter, e.t.c. so that's why he'll be getting my vote.

I'll take Randy Savage. Not because Terry Funk isn't entertaining or because I think he is "only a hardcore wrestler", which would be completely false because I do enjoy and respect his work in the NWA and in Texas. BUT! Randy Savage is one of if not my favorite Golden Era wrestler. His matches were great and always have me glued in when I watch them online or on a dvd. Promos were entertaining as hell, and great overall moments. It would be a hell of a match, very back and forth. I see either a roll-up at 26:30 or an elbow at 28:47.

Good God, folks. I mean, does anyone here have any sense?

Savage is a terrific wrestler.... but Terry Funk was a BETTER wrestler... and would handle Savage rather easily. Most marks for Savage tend to forget his temper. He has a way of letting things get to him easily. And Funk is the master of stirring the shit storm and getting someone off their game.

Funk is a winner in every way imaginable and would beat Savage in a solid 4.5 star match.

I was on the fence with this one though I have to admit that I very much prefer Randy Savage. I found him to be an overall much more enjoyable and skilled pro wrestler to watch. SavageTaker's argument pretty much sealed the deal on this.

I've no doubt that Funk could give Savage all that he wanted and was the tougher of the two wrestlers. But I've heard the "legit toughness" argument tossed around so much in these tournaments that it seems more like a crutch to lean on than anything else. I preferred Savage on the mic, he was a better overall athlete and he was always great to watch in the ring.

I'm very glad that the 'Funk was a hardcore wrestler and nothing else' card hasn't been attempted yet as that is the biggest mistake most people make when discussing Funk.

I'm also very surprise that personal preference is being mentioned alot more than in ring ability, experience, crowd influence, etc.

Both Savage and Funk are two of the five men I would like to see get as far as possible within this tournament so it's unfortunate that they have to face each other here.

Terry Funk is in my top ten list of favorite wrestlers of all time. Savage is my number two guy of all time. So even with that alone, my vote goes to Macho Man.

But for the record, it is really hard to vote Funk out of a traditional wrestling match.

How Funk got this far i have no idea.But NO CHANCE IN HELL he beat's the Macho King"oh yeah brother".And Terry didn't get a good stipulation to help him like a hardcore match or a first blood match or last man standing.This is just straight up like round 3 should of been.The stipulation matche's should of been for roung2.but that's another topic.Anyways the long & short of it is Macho King all the way baby!!

Vote for Macho Man in 5th annual wrestlezone tournament

I went with Savage here in a very hotly contested matchup. Funk was predominantly a hardcore guy, no matter how much his supporters would like to believe otherwise. Sure he was a tough son of a bitch who was not exclusively a hardcore legend, but that definitely was his forte. Savage was a pretty tough competitor as well, but I think he brings a little more versatility into the equation than does Funk. Savage brings the overall in ring skills, as well as the mic skills and charisma of a man who deserves to be in the WWE Hall of Fame. He simply brings more to the table than does Funk. Savage comes out of this one, a little banged up, but with enough in the tank to move on to the next round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back