Houston Region, SF Subregion: First Round: (6) Terry Funk vs. (27) Mike Awesome

Who Wins This Match

• Terry Funk

• Mike Awesome

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Houston Region.

This match takes place in the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California.

Cow%20Palace.jpg

#6 Terry Funk

terryfunk.jpg

Vs.

#27 Mike Awesome

MikeAwesome.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Mike Awesome is well awesome, but no way he is getting past Terry Funk. Funk is an icon and a fucking legend. He is all kinds of crazy as well. Funk could go in the ring no matter the style. He could go hardcore or he could work the ring. Funk could go far in this thing if he gets the right backing. Mike Awesome probably could stand a chance if he was against someone else but Funk takes him here. Bad break for Mike, Funk moves on.

Mike Awesome was one of my Favorite Wrestlers from ECW and I thought he had alot of potential and should've been a much bigger star but there is no way I can vote for him since he is going up a Legend and Icon in Wrestling Terry Funk, Funk was Phenomenal in his prime while Awesome was Good but could've been better. Funk FTW here.

Terry Funk lost to Randy Orton last year. That is just unacceptable. Now I'm not claiming to know much about Terry Funk, other than the fact that he looks good with a bandana, but that's besides the point. Losing to Randy Orton? C'mon now.

Mike Awesome surely is decent enough, but his name may be a bit of an exaggeration. Should probably be changed to Mike Prettygood. That'd be more accurate. I actually have seen a few matches of his and they're alright. However, this vote is all about justice.

Terry Funk wins this match. End of story. Mike Awesome was a good wrestler, but he was never a great wrestler. Terry Funk was a great wrestler. He held the NWA Heavyweight Championship when it meant something as well as a ton of other territory championships and even an ECW World Title reign and a few midcard title reigns in WWF and WCW.

Mike Awesome had his ECW World Title Reigns (which pale in comparison to Funk's NWA Heavyweight Championship) and a tag title reign. Other than that, he has nothing on Funk.

And if you want to talk about who the better wrestler is, Funk perfected half of the shit that Awesome and his peers used on a regular basis. Funk is considered one of the best wrestlers ever, Awesome is considered forgettable.

Vote smart, vote Funk.

It sucks though, Mike Awesome was indeed awesome. If he would have went to WWE after ECW folded, he could have been a major player imo, instead of That 70's guy. You guys remember that, I do, FUCKING TERRIBLE, I think if Mike Awesome would have reached his full potential this match could have been alot closer than it was.

Mike Awesome is good, and I think could have been a more important figure in a major company than he ever was. However, he will predominately be written into history as a big deal in ECW. Terry Funk was also a big deal in ECW, but before that he was the NWA Champion of the world, and one of the few wrestlers to achieve successes in multiple styles in multiple territories. Funk's easily.

Terry Funk is an Icon and would beat Mike Awesome.

Mike Awesome will always be decent but never great like Funk. Terry Funk was the NWA and ECW champion and that says alot about different styles. Terry Funk would take this match.

Terry Funk deserves to win this one, and will do comfortably. It disappoints me that one of my favourites in Mike Awesome was drawn against such a legend.

I had to give Mike my vote, just out of fanboy-ness as I know it will not make the slightest shit of a difference to the outcome. My argument is that if Mike Awesome in 1999 took on the 1999 Terry Funk, he would have absolutely destroyed him. If Funk had been in his peak at the same time as Awesome, then it is a different story, but that isnt how I am picturing it.

Awesome was literally...AWESOME in ECW, his combination of power and athleticism would have been too much for the veteran Terry Funk, who after putting up a brave fight and both men wearing the crimson mask, would have taken a Top Rope Awesome Bomb out of the ring and through a table. 3 Count and victory for Mike Awesome

However, there is no shame whatsoever in Awesome losing to Funk in this. Terry really is a funking legend, and to do what he does at his age astonishes me it really does. Terry Funk is the man, but I cannot give him my vote in this one. I just cannot vote against Mike Awesome in round one.

RIP Mike

That 70's gimmick vs. That 70's Wrestler. Yeah, I truly got nothing.

All I've really seen of Funk is a middle aged guy who in the 90's continued to try and be a winner. Even then, he was keeping pace. Mike Awesome made a name for himself in ECW, and even at that only when he faced guys who truly carried him. (Tanaka, for example)

I actually enjoy Mike Awesome and likely am not giving the guy the credit he is due. Furthermore, if this was likely anyone else - Awesome would be getting my vote. But it isn't, and Funk has done so much more, as well as remained just as relevant during the same years in the business as Awesome was a 3rd rated Company's Heavyweight Champion.

I just can't vote against Funk, even if I enjoy watching Awesome more.

Decent performer that Mike Awesome, but seriously, Funk is a crazy son of a bitch that would rip your arms off before he pins you. A bonafide legend from Amarillo, TX, you can't say that Funk wouldn't put up a fight.

If it was Funk in his prime, he would definitely win this in a good 10 minute match.

I'd LOVE to see a good argument against Funk here. And I'd also love to see pigs fly out of KB's ass.... well, again.

Funk is better than Mike Awesome in every way. Awesome was so overrated in his ECW stint that it was disgusting. Once he moved onto the greener pastures of WCW and WWE, he dropped like the turd I just left in the bathroom.

Meanwhile, Terry Funk won the ECW championship at fucking 53 years old in a pool of his own blood. Oh, and that was one of the low points of his career. Just imagine how long this paragraph would be if I started praising his accolades. I'll save that for later rounds.

Funk dominates here.

Bad draw for Awesome. He was exactly that. To me, he will always be one of the most underrated "Big Men" the business has ever seen.

Being buried in WCW did truly that. It buried this man's career. He never rebounded at all. He deserved better then that.

Wrong place, wrong time for Mike Awesome. That is regarding his career in WCW and this tournament. I think if he would have entered WCW earlier, he might have had a chance. But, with Hogan, Sting, Flair, Goldberg, Savage, Nash, Luger, Hall and others, already there, the dude never stood a fuckin' chance. They wouldn't have let him shine. His awesome physique matched them all, and he could have wrestled circles around all of the guys his size, or bigger. But Hogan and Nash never would have let that happen.

Mike Awesome was what they all feared the most, a guy built like them, that could actually move. His Awesome Bomb shit on Nash's Jackknife and his aerial tactics are superior to most men of his size that has ever entered the ring.

But, all that being said, BAD DRAW for him. Terry Funk was and is, one of the greatest of ALL TIME. Whether he was playing a bad ass cowboy type or the Crazy Moonsaulting Old Bastard that he became, Funk was a Hardcore guy.

This vote might have come out a little differently for me had Mike Awesome succeeded even just a little bit in WCW. One World Title reign probably would have done it for me. I can totally see Mike Awesome "Awesome" Bombing Terry Funk off of the top rope, through a table.

But as we all know, a cookie usually crumbles a certain way, so I voted for Terry Funk. Though I stared at each name for probably a minute before I decided Funk was the way to go.

Too late to cast my vote in this one, but I would have gone with Terry Funk over Mike Awesome. As a hardcore legend, which is admittedly not my preference, I see Funk absorbing a lot of punishment and abuse, before turning the tide and dishing even more out in the other direction. In a messy and bloody confrontation, I see Terry Funk advancing.

I'm starting to see how this tournament works... which basially means Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair will win...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back