• Hogan slams Andre

• TLC mid-air spear

• HHH and Foley atop the HIAC Cage

• 1-2-3 Kid pins Razor on RAW

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Taker throws Mankind off the HIAC Cage

Who saw this coming? He could have killed him, but there it was - Taker tossed Mick Foley off the top of a cage and straight down, through an announce table. HOLY SHIT!

The Montreal Screwjob

Wait, did the bell ring? Bret didn't quit, did he? What's Vince doing in the ring? Bret just spit at Vince! They screwed him! HOLY SHIT!

Suplerplex Ring Collapse

What happens when The Big Show and Brock Lesnar do a superplex? That's right, the entire ring collapses before our very eyes. HOLY SHIT!

The Kat Skinny Dips

I remember the first thing my friend said to me after The Kat took her top off at Armageddon. "Well, Vince pulled it off." Boobs! HOLY SHIT!

Bobby Lashley breaks the walls down

With Umaga on the outside, Lashley gets a running start and breaks a wall of a cage off it's hinges and onto the Samoan Bulldozer. HOLY SHIT!

Michaels takes a little off the top

After superkicking his former tag team partner, Shawn Michaels throws Marty Jannetty face first through The Barbershop Window. HOLY SHIT!

Hogan slams Andre

No way he's gonna get him up. 90,000 people are on their feet! 90,000 people just got bounced OFF their feet! HOLY SHIT!

The TLC Spear

With a Hardy Boy hanging from the cable suspending the tag team belt from the ceiling, Edge climbs a ladder, and as the Hardy swings his way, he spears him in mid air and down to the mat. HOLY SHIT!

Triple H and Foley atop the HIAC

Flaming 2x4 and all, Triple H finally pedigrees Mick Foley atop the Hell in a Cell and ends his WWF Wrestling Career. HOLY SHIT!

1-2-3 Kid pins Razor Ramon

Seems out of place, I know, but who saw this jobber coming from out of nowhere to defeat a top contender like Ramon on Raw? I sure didn't! HOLY SHIT!

Thinking about some of these once again made me say Oh my God. Or, more appropriately, Holy Shit. And here it's between Hogan slamming Andre, and The Montreal Screwjob.

I mean, seriously, did Hogan just slam Andre the giant? Did he? Trick of the light? Digitally slammed him? It couldn't have actually happened. Could it? Which is what was going through everyones mind. At risk of stating the obvious, Andre is HUGE. Hogan did the impossible. And at that moment, I don't think anyone believed what had just happened.

However, we turn to Montreal. Over 10 years ago, and still the arguments. Still people can't let it go. Still people say "I can't believe it happened." At that moment in time, everyone in the world stopped. Bret Hart, loved by everyone, champion of the WWE, had just been screwed. Badly. By his enemy - this guy no one really liked. This sort of thing doesn't happen. Yet, it did. And it changed the face of the WWE forever. Huge impact on the business, and on the careers of both Shawn and Bret. This is the biggest Holy Shit moment of all time.

It's gotta be the toss off the cell, surely. I mean, yeah, it's been dulled by the amount we've seen it at this point but looking at it objectively, millions of people watching Mick Foley fall to what may well have been his death was pretty holy shit.

The others may have been surprising and you may not have seen the coming but they weren't nearly as holy shit as watching The Undertaker throw Mankind twenty feet through an announce table. Now that's shocking.

This one isn't even a contest. If it was WTF? moment of the year then I could understand the Screw Job being in the running, but since it's HOLY SHIT, then Foley's cell drop comes out miles ahead.

During the time the screw job actually happened, most people watching were in a stare more akin to confusion regarding what had just happened, and certainly weren't bouncing off the walls. Conversely, Foley's dramatic decent literally had me believing that the man was, likely as not, dead...

I don't think professional wrestling has ever had a moment that can hold a candle to that one in terms of shock value. I don't think professional wrestling ever will have a moment that can hold a candle to that one in terms of shock value.
It is something of a hobby of mine to show that match to friends who don't watch wrestling and gauge their reaction... I don't think it's ever failed to elicit a reaction pertaining to "HOLY SHIT!".

Again, seeing as this is "Holy Shit!" and not "OMG!" or "WTF?!", I also have to go with Taker throwing Mick Foley off the Cell. I don't think I've ever seen any spot in any match where I think that the performer may really be dead. I was just a little kid watching this, I think I was like 9, but even I could process that I may very well have witnessed an on-air death. My father insisted it wasn't real, that wrestling was scripted, that Mankind was fine and was just doing a really good job looking hurt. The next day after everyone knew without a shadow of a doubt that Mankind really did almost die, my dad refused to let wrestling appear on our TV. Fortunately, my parents divorced less than a year later, so I didn't miss too much wrestling lol.

Point is, my dad never swears, but this moment was possibly the closest he's ever come to saying "Holy Shit!"

My first thought was the Montreal Screwjob, but then I passed because that's not holy shit. That's what did I just see. I only have two real contenders here, and that's the Cell throw, and Hogan slamming Andre.

The cell throw has been played probably over a thousand times on wwe televison, and it still hasn't lost it's power. Mick Foley is about 6'0 tall and weighs close to 300lbs, and he was thrown over 15ft, through a table. Just the pure roll of the dice of that is mind blowing. The amount of risks involved in that are too many to name, and I'd pick it anyday, except for one.

That day is March 29, 1987, and the bodyslam that shook the world. A big part of this is the setting: nearly 100,000 people in one building, with this being the main purpose most of them are there. Looking back, it's still not clear that Hogan would win going into this, even knowing what we know now about the inner workings. Sure the script called for it, but Andre could have turned this into a shoot and mopped the floor with Hogan like it was nothing. From a total mark standpoint though, this is unbelievable. For Hogan to get beaten up for the 15 minutes of the match, then Hulk up, and pick the biggest man anyone there had ever seen off his feet, turn him over and slam him to the ground was mind blowing. Cell dive is more famous, but this is legendary.

:(

Where the hell is the moment when Jake Roberts had his fucking cobra bite Savage on the arm? While Taker/Foley was unbelievable, the Savage/Roberts angle had me in fucking tears, scared to death for Savage. That's the ultimate 'Holy Shit' moment for me. I've never been more shocked as a wrestling fan then I was for that.

:(

Where the hell is the moment when Jake Roberts had his fucking cobra bite Savage on the arm? While Taker/Foley was unbelievable, the Savage/Roberts angle had me in fucking tears, scared to death for Savage. That's the ultimate 'Holy Shit' moment for me. I've never been more shocked as a wrestling fan then I was for that.

Oh man, a classic! I didn't expect that at all! It's a great honorable mention. I don't feel bad leaving it out, mind you, but I can certainly respect someone wanting to see it in there.

I was terrified when Jake's snake bit Macho Man, and since I was very young at the time, I was also crying when Savage started swinging wildly because I truly thought he was about to die. Savage sold it so well, and Elizabeth shreiking on the outside just served to further Jake Roberts as a sadistic madman of a heel.

there is zero chance that ANYTHING else should even have a chance here. The throw of the HIAC stand to this day as the most incredible thing I have ever seen in wrestling. I could pop that in TODAY, and still say holy shit, and shake my head in disbelief. after seeing it some good 500 times. You do all realize, that Foley had a better chance of DYING than living through that?? Just inches further away, and hits the rails, and dies. inches short, he lands only halfway on the table, and dies. Shit, he landed PERFECTLY and almost died.

Also, IC, I would suggest the entire sequence be made the option. ALA Foley flies, GETS UP OFF THE STRETCHER, then goes through the roof, on fucking accident. And lived.

Holy shit.

This is about as cake walk as it gets. Nothing in my entire life watching anything has shocked and scared the hell out of me more then the Cell toss on June 28th, 1998. Watching it live with my brother and three cousins on pay per view, we were loud, but instantly everyone shut the hell up after saying Holy Shit. We all realized what we just saw, and couldn't believe it.

There have been plenty of moments in the business that have genuinely shocked me, but nothing will ever beat out the Cell toss. You can watch it a thousand times (probably a legit number of times I've seen it) and still not be numbed by it. It's cringeworthy every time, yet not as over the top as a jackass getting thrown into barb wire.

Without a shadow of a doubt from that list it should be Taker throwing Foley off the top of the Hell In A Cell structure through an announce table.

This is the Holy Shit moment of all time. When the Montreal Screwjob happened, I don't think there was anyone chanting "HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT". Shocking? Yes. Holy Shit? No.

The ring collapse was nice aswell and Michael Coles reaction only made it better.

But to this day, 10 years on we still see footage of Taker throwing Foley off of the Hell In A Cell structure. I still watch it and it still gets a reaction everytime, you can't watch it and not feel anything. JR's reaction made it special aswell, "HE KILLED HIM!!".

When I think of Holy Shit, I think about Edge spearing Foley through a burning table aswell but these categories are all very subjective. Also I want to give an honorable mention to Shane McMahon, jumping off the Unforgiven set.

But I voted for Taker throwing Foley off the cell.

because of the wording I would say Foley being thrown off the cage but as the big Bret Hart fan I was I would have to say the screwjob. What was worse for me was seeing him on nitro the night after being the WCW hater I was. I really couldn't stand Michaels for several years after that, lol.

i cant get over the getting thrown of the cell. i mean imagen that. quite mind blowing. montreal wasn't really omg. it was more like wtf.

I wonder what was going through foleys head when he got thrown off? No wait more importantly what would he be thinking when he got chokeslammed through the roof. they both should have been OMG moments.

First of all, thank you for stating that HBK threw him through the window, and not that he superkicked him through the window.

When the ECW turned on the WWE guys to start the InVasion, I nearly freaked out. I was young, and watched with my parents, and the excitement in my voice as I explained it to them went unmatched until I called my mom to tell her the Astros were going to the world series. So my personal number one is not included. Cool

Just like in the presidential election of this year, I will vote, even though, my number one is not present. I am voting the 1-2-3 Kid. This was the end of the jobber era. Back then, the WWE was all about the Superstars and Wrestling Challenge shows. Raw was new, and catching on, but most fans still identified with syndicated Saturday morning shows. All of a sudden, this guy that we knew was going to lose, beat one of the biggest stars on the show. One, props to Razor for putting him over, even if it was his buddy. Two, props to the WWE for proving that anything can happen, which inspired viewers to watch every show so they did not miss a thing.

Well, there are many interesting moments that have shocked the fans in WWE history, but the sight of seeing Mick Foley been thrown off the top of the Hell in a Cell by the Undertaker, is the most shocking moment of all time. The bump Foley took looked great. Off the tall cell and straight down collapsing onto the announce table was a moment that will always be remembered in wrestling history. It really defined Foley as being as hardcore as they come.

A bump like that just wouldn't happen in the WWE today. Because quite frankly, I doubt any superstars wants to go through a bump such as that. But Mick Foley being the hardcore legend that he is, defined himself as being one of the greatest Hardcore Legends of all time through this very moment. That is why I believe it was the greatest "Holy Shit" moment of all time.

When the ECW turned on the WWE guys to start the InVasion

This is hands down my biggest mark-out ever. What an awesome moment that was.

Anyway, since Roberts/Savage isn't nominated, I voted for HITC with 'Taker and Mankind. You know what people forget about that? Foley actually comes back out during the main event between Austin and Kane and takes a stunner. How fucking nuts is that? And Foley never receives any credit for doing that; not even from himself, lol.

But yeah, I didn't see that moment as it happened, but I remember being shocked watching Raw the next night when they showed the highlights of it. Nothing else from that show meant anything. Ken Shamrock won the King of the Ring. No one cared. Kane won the WWF Title in bullshit fashion. No one cared. All people gave a damn about for weeks was what happened to Mankind.

This was a very tough decision for me. I was torn between Mankind getting thrown off the Hell in a Cell and Hogan slamming Andre. In the end, I ended up going with Hogan slamming Andre. I just thought the historical significance of that was great. The way the entire crowd was into it, and the way Hogan had been really selling a bad back leading up to this for a while. I was 13 years old watching this live with my parents and couldn't believe what I had just saw. Sometimes I think that things we see when we were younger have a little more of that magical edge to them and that probably played a big role in how I voted. If I could have picked 2 though, Mankind falling was definitely my second choice. How about we call them 1A and 1B? :worship:

For me it is always only going to be between two choices - Hell in a Cell and Andre/Hogan.

Both of these are probably the most iconic and broadcastable moments in WWF history because they were completely unexpected. Crazy as Foley and Taker were, no-one really expected Mick to be thrown off the Cell and then get back in and be put through the top of the cell, and then to continue the match despite being knocked out.

Likewise Hogan and Andre... it was the unthinkable. The giant being toppled and a scene that is alway emulated with the big men (Think Khali being slammed - JR will ALWAYS make a Hogan reference).

Some other moments of mention:
The Montreal Screwjob - Yes, it was shocking. But it took a while before the significance was realised, which takes the moment away from it. Event yes, moment no

Suplerplex Ring Collapse - Now... even as a kid I wasn't fooled by this one. So the ring collapsed... that doesn't render both men unconscious. That in itself ruined this moment for me.

The Kat Skinny Dips - The second of boob wasn't worth the pain of the match that went before it

Bobby Lashley breaks the walls down - Meh

Michaels takes a little off the top - The ultimate in turns. Shawn putting someone through a window is impressive before you consider it was his best friend

The TLC Spear - Ok...the TLC spear is up there as one of the top moments, but there's a BIG difference between being speared and being tossed off the roof. HIAC tops it

Triple H and Foley atop the HIAC - This is an echo of the Mankind/Taker, nothing more. That was why they had Foley on the cell... so people would want him to be tossed off again.

1-2-3 Kid pins Razor Ramon - Seems out of place because it was just a shock loss. Surprising, but not win worthy.

I have one more which I don't think has been mentioned yet:
Hogan's heel turn - Riots, garbage and the unthinkable. Hogan was the partner. No-one expected it and it changed wrestling.

My vote goes for the Foley Taker HIAC as well. Up until that point I never watched ECW or anything federation like that that does crazy shit so I never seen anything remotely close to that. Hell I dont even know if I ever seen anybody get thrown through a table let alone from that high, when I saw that I think I literally did say "Holy shit". Even now after seeing it hundreds of times my jaw still drops when I see it especially when I see it from that one angle(The straight on TV shot, not the one where the camera is positioned by the table that they show so much)

A couple more though I like to add that were holy shit moments for me was when Shane McMahon jumped off the top of the Backlash set(I think thats what it was) on to the Big Show. I know there was a bunch of padding underneath that plywood but seeing somebody jump from that high up still warranted a "holy shit"

Another one was the debut of Giant Gonzalez at Royal Rumble 93. I was only 11 years old at the time so I was still relatively young and I believe I still thought everything was real so I was in awe of a man that size, and to see him manhandle the Undertaker like that who up until that point was pretty much indestructable was definitely shocking especially when you were a kid.

I have one more which I don't think has been mentioned yet:
Hogan's heel turn - Riots, garbage and the unthinkable. Hogan was the partner. No-one expected it and it changed wrestling.

It hasn't been mentioned yet because it was WCW. Since the WWE ownes the rights to the Slammy's, we're only doing WWF moments. THere are a few matches that could have made the cut from WCW or ECW, but again, WWF only.

Great call oncalling HIAC and Hogan / Andre "commentatable." It puts them in a leauge with the 1980 Miracle on Ice, and you summed up it's relevance with that single word.

There are only really two. Foley falling of the cell, and the Montreal Screwjob™. You might argue Hogan slamming Andre, but most of us grew up with that already being part of wrestling lore. Anybody here remember watching it as it happened? Only a few I bet. You can look back at say ''Holy shit'', but maybe it's WWE just doing a good job of bigging up the moment. They do it well, I almost thought Ric Flair was worth something. Not to take way from it, but I'd vote for something I saw unfold.

Montreal is better from a forum perspective. People can talk about it forever. But Foley falling off ther cell is something visual that'll be around for decades to come.

Although my favorite is either the Rockers break-up, or Savage getting bitten by Jake's snake.

Of the ones chosen, I agree, it comes down to 2 events, HIAC and Hogan Andre. The problem is that they are so diffrent. They are years apart, and most people saw Hell In A Cell as it happened, which is a big difference. When I saw it happen live I was amazed. Definately holy shit. The Hogan Andre is not a holy shit moment as much as it is a moment that trancends time, where time stays still. HIAC is a Holy shit winner, Hogan Andre is the all time moment winner!

Honorable mention:
-Mcmahon buying WCW. When that Nito came on, and Vince was there, yeah.
-What about Shawn Micheals in ring collapse against Owen Hart?
-Austins heel turn at Wrestlemania 17 against the Rock?
-Ansd lasty, one that traumatized the hell out of me when I was like 10, Earthquake tying Jake "The Snake" Roberts in the ropes, the doing the earthquake splash repeatedly on "damian" in the bag. Its wasnt really Damian, but back then, things were diffrent, wrestling wasnt doing too many risky things, and people werent all about how fake it is as much as they are today. Bacjk then, wrestling seemed more real, and as a kid, I cried when this happened. And it was on national television on Superstars of Wrestling!

The Montreal Screw Job.. OMG. Seriously, how is this not the holy shit moment of all time?!? I remembering watching and thinking "wow, this looks so real". That was back before everyone had access to so much behind the scene information. When the smoke cleared and the real story came out, it was incredible that we got to witness that go down live. Vinnie Mac's dirty laundry getting aired for the world to see. It was great.

I'm going to go with Taker tossing Mankind off the cell. This became a symbol of the WWE to me, every extreme highlight reel seemed to include this moment. It made an impact, and I really thought Mankind was dead. For me, it made his career what it was. This moment made you jump to your feet.
Second place is Mart Jannety through the glass. The Rockers were a good team, and the break up made you hate Micheals, at least for me.
Third is the Show-Lesnar superplex. Kinda made me laugh, I guess. But also say Holy Shit, so it's up there too.

i will go with taker throwing foley off the cage it is still shown now and it was nearly 11 years ago its shown on most dont try this at home stuff and seriously is the only thing on that list that makes me go HOLY SHIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back