Hogan Region, Chicago Subregion, Second Round: (4) Dusty Rhodes vs. (13) Great Muta

Who Wins This Match?

• Dusty Rhodes

• Great Muta

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the Hogan Region, Chicago Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Allstate Arena in Chicago, Illinois.

14-08212012-503403dbdc640.jpeg

147723878_1434050223.jpg

#4. Dusty Rhodes

Vs.

mutaroh3.JPG

#13. Great Muta

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster. Assume that the wrestlers are coming in fresh after their first round match.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Yeesh, this is a toughie.

I'm going with Muta.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Muta and Dusty have never, in any capacity, worked together. They were in the same company during roughly the same era where they could have easily been put into a random match just to serve the crowd, but to my knowledge it has never happened. No teaming up, no battle royals, nothing.

It would be very easy to assume that since this match is happening in the US, it would favor Dusty. Chicago fans aren't that simple I'm afraid, they're the type of smarks that make ordinary smarks proud that they aren't that fucked up. Chicago is a melting pot within a melting pot, and the resulting stew of weirdos is one hell of an acquired taste.

I suspect that Dusty would earn some cred for playing up the working man angle, but Muta would play into the obsession of misguided twelve year old boys with being able to watch a Japanese psycho use his magic karate moves to annihilate the western infidel. I'm from Chicago, and I expect the crowd to want to tap into their childish obsessions.

Getting the crowd on your side is only half the battle, and Muta has proven that he's not just a regional favorite. While his success in the states doesn't hold a candle to Dusty's, he was (to my knowledge) the first Japanese performer to be a serious draw in the states.

Dusty has an endless list of accolades to his name, which include being recognized by WON as the most overrated, obnoxious and embarrassing wrestler of specific years. While Dusty conquered the wrestling world in the US and was using his notoriety to book some of the weirdest matches in history, the closest he ever came to championship status outside of the US was a stint as a tag team champion out of Australia.

Muta didn't just conquer Japan, he was in Dusty's old stomping ground of NWA Florida when he won their top belt in 1986. On top of that he and Sting helped WCW elevate the TV Championship to a status that put it on par with their world title.

It was impossible not to love Dusty, but it was impossible not to respect Muta.

Vote The Great Muta.

Mute may have done a few moves that nobody before him had, but Rhodes basically invented the idea that professional wrestlers didn't have to be athletes and could use charisma to sell themselves to an audience. Dusty wins here.

Another match that should end in a dusty finish but won't.

We really need a double DQ option, my opinion is dusty shouldn't have made it here.

As much as I respect Dusty and all he has done, especially in terms of his impact on the recent generation of stars, Muta has played a major role in keeping Japanese wrestling alive as well as being a massive star throughout the world. As much impact as Dusty had in wrestling history, he was notoriously selfish and may have done a fair bit of harm while Muta has given his all to keep the business alive throughout his career.

I voted Muta.

This match was a tough one. Even though Dusty was a former 3 time NWA champion, those reigns were politically motivated. He was not appointed by the NWA to be a traveling champion like Dory, Race, or Flair. Muta was one of New Japan's top stars during the 80's and 90's and later became All Japan's ace in the 00's once NOAH was formed. Muta's main reason for leaving New Japan was because he was dissatisfied with how aggressively Inoki was pushing the MMA style onto the promoter. Like Rhodes, he was a natural performer. You can take one look at the guy and see that for yourself.

His unique brand of showmanship brought him international success. He's one of the few Japanese wrestlers to have maintained a consistent television presence in the US.

Muta was a former NWA champion like Dusty, and has held both the IWGP and Triple Crown heavyweight title multiple times. Dusty did have classic matches with Flair, but so did Muta. Along with Hogan. And Sting. And Antonio Inoki.

All and all I voted for Muta.

Mute may have done a few moves that nobody before him had, but Rhodes basically invented the idea that professional wrestlers didn't have to be athletes and could use charisma to sell themselves to an audience. Dusty wins here.

Man Mountain Dean was Dusty Rhodes before Rhodes was even born. Dean was a big fat guy with a beard that oozed charisma and used his superior showmanship to become a leading box office draw during the 30's. Dusty was certainly not the first of his kind.

Was Man Mountain Dean the World Champion?

No, he was not. But he was still used as a main eventer. I suppose you could say that Rhodes was the first charismatic fat guy to be a world champion, but he certainly was not the first fat guy to reach super stardom or to main event regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back