Hello, Pluto

Discussion in 'The GSD Archives' started by It's Damn Real!, Jul 14, 2015.

1. It's Damn Real!

It's Damn Real! The undisputed, undefeated TNA &

[​IMG]

@NASANe****izons: Hello #Pluto! We’re at closest approach. Congrats to all! Follow our story & view new images using #PlutoFlyby.

--

Simply stunning.

2. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost squashed Disco Inferno to become

3. Poop Master Flex

Poop Master Flex Mid-Card Championship Winner

Space is cool

4. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

5. Lee

Lee WZCW's Titus
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirk likes this.
  6. hatehabsforever

hatehabsforever Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty cool to see something so distant from such an up close and personal perspective.

And Lee, that's a creative was to picture that "planet". But please don't experiment in this manner with the planet two planets closer to us.

Lee and George Steele's Barber like this.
  7. Reflection

Reflection is a happier and wiser man

The colour looks a lot different from the earlier photos... But man, What a wastage of money! What difference will this discovery make on our lives, and on the lives of the poor, the ill and the starved? The discoveries on Mars might lead to something at some point in the future, but this is quite useless. One week later, nobody will be talking about this ground-breaking discovery anymore, and that would explain its actual importance.

I think I'm becoming one of those guys that complain about everything :(

8. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

A long walk for a short drink of water, buddy.

9. Thriller Ant

Thriller Ant Beep Bop Boop

You are just the fucking worst.

It's Damn Real! and Nate DaMac like this.
  10. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

And I thought I was a Killjoy.

11. Dirk

Dirk Ayatollah of Coca-Cola

For what it's worth, I'll support ranting on "economic injustice" over "gender inequality in the West" any day.

12. Барбоса

Барбоса doesn't know REAL wrestling...

13. Reflection

Thank you! I've already started preparing my lines. Here's a sample:
    "USA; present day: In a country where unmatched freedom of expression and pseudo self esteem have resulted in people using expletives and superlatives in every sentence to express their view; unmatched capitalism and strong-arm tactics have entrenched a vicious circle of mal-expenditure and complete disregard for the deprivation suffered by the rest of the world..." heheheheh ;)

14. Барбоса

America spending money on exploring the solar system is certainly not where any anger should be aimed.

15. Reflection

It's not anger, it's just that... why not use the money to help people that don't have prope, clothing, shelter, two square meals a day, medical facilities (after disease), means to protect them from the diseases, make the streets safer for women and the aged... you know, all these problems people are suffering from in the present day, in our own planet, and one common reason that is attributed is that there is insufficient money to eradicate all these problems at a faster pace than the current rate... So why not solve these problems as far as possible, and then spend those many millions of dollars as well as an enormity of resources to send spacecrafts to far away planets that we have nothing to gain or lose from... This applies to my country too, not just the USA. The whole space-exploration thing is also a status-symbol, to show others how "ahead" we are, while ignoring more important problems that exist right here.

P.S. I am aware that this will be seen as another one of my "naive" posts that are away from the 'reality' or what has been happening, but the reason behind these posts is because there is something wrong with the current scenario. We have a bigger photo of Pluto now, and apparently we now know that it is more brown than grey, but I would gladly accept the absence of this knowledge in exchange for thousands of people around us getting their basic requirements.

16. It's Damn Real!

NASA's budget is minuscule compared to the defense budget. If you are so worried about helping people, you should maybe start clamoring about why the U.S. needs to spend nearly 20% of federal spending alone on military defense.

[​IMG]

In fact, NASA's budget has plummeted from 4.4% of the federal budget back in the 60's to about 0.5% of the budget today.

But yeah, let's continue to ignore the elephant in the room and bitch about why NASA funding is a waste of money.

17. Reflection

Yeah, let's continue to ignore that America's enemies and rivals range from the ISIS in the middle-east, to the Taliban and its allies in the subcontinent, from Russia that wants to kick its a**, to Cuba right beside it and North Korea threatening to nuke it every once in a while from its west. Let's also continue to ignore that whenever some terrorist group spreads its wings a little too far, countries look helplessly towards the USA for aid. When monsters like Saddam or Osama seem unbeatable, America gets the job done. Let's also ignore that America, by virtue of its defence expenditures and influence, have been able to contain and prevent wars of large scale, including the India-Pakistan war from becoming a nuclear warfare, and finally, let's ignore countries like Israel and South Korea whose safety has been ensured by America for a long time.

Go away elephant, you are not required anymore. Oh it's real. It's Damn Real!

18. It's Damn Real!

The U.S. has no business in the affairs of the Middle East. ISIS are only our "enemy" because we make them our enemy, by sticking our nose in affairs we have no justifiable reason for interjecting in.

If Sunni's and Shiite's want to slaughter one another, that's their problem. Like most countries ravaged by a state-sponsored monotheistic religion that claims to be the answer, they need to go through an era of needless bloodshed before they realize they are killing one another over nothing. Just like most of Europe already did hundreds of years ago, or Ireland most recently.

If you think the U.S. has so many enemies that it actually justifies the size of our "defense" budget, maybe you ought to be thinking about why we have that many enemies to begin with. I promise you, that bullshit you hear about them "hating freedom" has nothing to do with it. The idea the U.S. needs to play world police does. And the "defense" budget fuels that.

Complaining about the NASA budget with regard to the welfare of Peoples within the U.S. is like complaining about the gas mileage you get out of your Hummer that you drive through the suburbs when you could just buy a Ford Focus.

19. Reflection

These lines sum up how our thoughts and beliefs are in total contrast with each other. I have no interest in arguing with someone going by the ideology of "Others may be suffering, my friends may be in danger... but as long as it is not harming me, I don't care."
    Oh and by the way, the ISIS is not differentiating between Sunnis and Shias alone. If you are not with them, then by default you are against them.

Now I can start quoting your other sentences one by one and pointing out flaws in them too, like facts having more weightage than your promise, or myself talking about the whole world and not just USA, but it's best if we drop it because we will never arrive to a meaningful conclusion anyway.

Congratulations on seeing the new photo of Pluto. Enjoy!

20. Барбоса

Against the rather limited NASA budget but for the military overspending of the US?

What a strange combination.

NASA's work in exploration is pioneering and educational. The space programmes in the likes of India and China are definitely far more like status symbols though as they are recreating the successes of others.

It's Damn Real! likes this.
  21. It's Damn Real!

Among the dozens of things you can thank NASA, and subsequently what they can do with an ever-decreasing budget for:

Memory foam, anti-corrosion coating, ArterioVision (ultrasound) technology, Cochlear implants, scratch-resistant eyeglass lenses, emulsified zero-valent iron (injected into groundwater, where it neutralizes toxic chemicals that pose a threat to the environment), insulin pumps, lifeshears (otherwise known as the jaws of life), Charge-coupled device (allows doctors to perform more precise tests on women who may have breast cancer) and water filters.

You're welcome.

22. Reflection

I won't call myself a preacher of America's defence spending or supporting the bullying which they resort to at times, but one thing that has to be said that the money spent on defence helps make the lives of people on this planet more peaceful and safe, and has done so for many decades. The people of this planet come first. Examining and culturing the colour and gases present in a planet around 5 billion kilometres away, is not nearly as important as safeguarding the population of your planet and containing the evil elements.
    In addition to that, although NASA's budget is much lesser than that on defence, $17.2 billion a year isn't a miniscule amount either. If we add to that, the figures spent by ISRO and other space research organizations from various countries on space exploration, the amount that could've been spent on the welfare of the people of this planet, will be even higher.

23. Reflection

The issue I raised was against the money and resources they spend on space exploration, including those they spent on getting this photo of Pluto, amongst other things. The same applies for NASA's counterparts in other countries. I was not taking any credit away from them for the positives that they do for the people of this world. By the way.. how many of those high-tech inventions are actually aimed towards enhancing the lives of the actually-deprived population?

Pass me some of that.

24. It's Damn Real!

So do you believe the U.S. alone hold the keys to safeguarding the people who live on this planet? Is that why it's OK that they spend more on their military budget than the next seven nations combined, a number of whom are allies?

What I'm really asking is, why are we footing that bill? Are we the only nation who care about the well-being of the world, that we need to spend that amount per year?

25. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

If you think the world's poverty issues can be solved by money, you are a ******. There are literally billions of people in poverty. NASA's entire budget for a year could keep them fed and watered for about 2 weeks, which just delays the exact same issue by an insignificant amount of time. The large hadron collider also costs a shitload, but without CERN, we wouldn't have the internet. Having the greatest minds on earth in one place is a very beneficial way to progress.