HBK collapsing on RAW - 1995?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by Weems2k, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Weems2k

Weems2k Getting Noticed By Management

Something I always wondered about, and can't really remember if there was a followup to this. I believe it was 1995, and HBK was taking on Owen Hart on RAW. Suddenly Micheal's grabs his head, and just passes out. I didn't have cable at the time, so I just just saw highlights of it on Superstars. I remember everyone with a "what the hell" kind of look on their face. Even Owen didn't know what to do.

Was this actually legit, or part of an angle to have HBK take time off?

2. GameOver

GameOver Mid-Card Championship Winner

Yes and No. the part with Owen was a storyline but he did suffer a concussion just the month b4 In October 1995, he was legitely attacked by several marines outside a bar in Syracuse, New York. at the In Your House: Great White North pay-per-view the same month after he was attacked, he was declared unable to compete by the officials and forfeited the Intercontinental Championship to Dean Douglas, who in turn Douglas lost the championship to Razor Ramon.. The next month, during a match with Owen Hart on an episode of Monday Night Raw, Owen performed an enzuigiri that struck the back of HBK's head. They continued the match, but Michaels collapsed in the ring, the commentry team said he had suffered a concussion but really they were working in a retirement angle so that he could take time off to heel his injuries from the bar fight (where he suffered a concussion) and other niggling injuries he had

and that was the storyline where he lost his smile that they've refered to and Triple H has made fun of many times since.

However he was only "retired" for 2 months, returning to win the 1996 Royal Rumble and go onto WrestleMania 12 and win the title in the iron man match against Bret Hart (Top 5 best Mania matches of all time)

3. thebarber

thebarber Mid-Card Championship Winner

That storyline had nothnig to do with HBK "Losing his smile", that speech was made on Thursday Raw Thursday in February 1997. Shawn used the tiome off to have his injuries from the flogging in Syracuse, he was off television for a handful of weeks before returning just before the Royal Rumble to announce he was entering and would fulfill his boyhood dream. There was no talk of retirement in 1995, and Michaels was only off tv for a handful of shows. He was also supposed to use this time to ween himself off the recreational drugs he was smashing at that point of his career, the bar fight he was involved in, it was reported that Michaels was off mhis face on Somas and alcohol,(lethal cocktail), Bulldog and X-Pac have both been quoted as stating Michaels was that out of it, he didnt even defend himself when getting his head slammed into a car door

4. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

The collapse in the ring was part of an angle and a possible retirement was part of it. Remember this

[YOUTUBE]hScbdBtJaM4[/YOUTUBE]

There was talk of HBK having to retire because of the injuries but instead he was able to come back and win the Royal Rumble. The next month he wrestled Owen Hart at In Your House as Owen spent three months bragging about how he put Michaels out of action. The angle was well done the night of the collapse. McMahon and Lawler went off headset and really sold it like it was real. It's not easy to make people think an angle is real but the WWF had a lot of people wondering that night.

5. TheHorndogSays

TheHorndogSays Pre-Show Stalwart

That collapse happened in Richmond, VA. I was a little 12 year old kid in attendance who was devastated by what happened. I always said if I somehow became a wrestler, I'd turn heel on Michaels because of that night haha. But yes the collapse was well done from a legit standpoint. I remember it took them a LONG time (or at least it seemed like a long time) to get Michaels on the gurney and out of the ring then there was Dok Hendrix on Superstars the following Saturday morning making a special announcement only seen to the Richmond market on how Michaels appreciated the concern shown by us that night. Screw that, I was happy I was able to use that as an excuse to stay out of school the next day.

6. uvx

uvx Shut The Hell Up!

The collapse was a work, but it was so Shawn could take time off to heal injuries.
    Only Vince and Shawn knew about the faint to make it more realistic.

7. dukes07

dukes07 Getting Noticed By Management

I think the best part of the whole thing was how Shawn's story kept changing. I think eventually he claimed he was attacked by upwards of ten guys. He just happened to fuck with the wrong people that night and got his ass kicked.

The angle itself was indeed well done. WWF in 95 had these inklings of greatness with that angle and then Diesel's brief work-shoot. But they never really followed through. Though Owen got to brag about taking him out and it led into the Rumble with HBK coming back and winning.

8. Poop Master Flex

Poop Master Flex Mid-Card Championship Winner

Was this actually legit, or part of an angle to have HBK take time off?

According to Michaels this was an idea that Kevin Nash came up with right after he got a real concussion from a bunch of marines the night before he gave up the IC title to Shane Douglas. At the time Michaels was pretty much a lock to win the title at WM12 from Bret Hart and they felt it was a good way to give Michaels some sympathy coming into the Royal Rumble as they played the "Michaels shouldn't be competing" angle during that time. I remember the angle being done very well and I would say they accomplished what they were trying to.

I believe only a few people knew it was an angle as I don't even think Owen knew about it initially, from what I heard only Nash, Michaels and Vince knew it was an angle and everyone else was kept in the dark.

9. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

You have to remember, while the injury/beatdown was legit. Shawn was also a master of not doing jobs for titles and being a dick backstage and Vince was desperate not to let that get out. Shawn didn't want to lose to Douglas and this situation played into his (and Razor's) hands. By forfieting the title to Douglas and having it go straight to Ramon it bypassed Shawn's embarrasment at losing to someone he felt "inferior" and scored one for "The Kliq" but the downside of that was that they had to play up the injury side for a while as they were trying to get Shawn over as a top face, inspite of his clearly unlikeable behaviours outside of the ring making it doubly difficult to do so.

I too heard that Owen was kept in the dark even then about it and remember thinking it very callous at the time and how Shawn then refused to job out to Davey in Manchester was particularly poor form as Davey was one of the guys who saved Shawn that night from a far worse situation.

That Shawn repeated the trick with "I lost my smile" was where many lost patience, I can remember it being said that Taker had quipped "...the little f***er doesn't want to drop the belt..." It also led many to believe that his 4 year "retirement" could have been far shorter. It was a bit of a fad at the time for guys to have Lloyds of London insurances for silly money that they could collect on if they were "retired". Curt Hennig, Animal did just that although Shawn managed to stay on full WWE salary AND collect...

But the fact remains that the first title Shawn actually dropped in the ring was to Sid at the Rumble in 97...

10. theHeadliner

theHeadliner Getting Noticed By Management

According to Bret Hart's book, he and Owen knew, and the announcers knew as well.

11. dukes07

dukes07 Getting Noticed By Management

It is really difficult to like Shawn back then. It is sad when I am still a bit bitter about his treatment of Vader. That guy deserved the title and because he supposedly potatoed Shawn he was never the same. Instead the honor went to fucking Sycho Sid.

But yeah I believe even Shawn admits what a douche-nozzle he was. Bret Hart is not completely blameless but I still side with him more due to my bias. Hart essentially threatening to kick his ass is priceless and then practically doing it. But Shawn got the last laugh....If you watch WWF back then, Vince is all over Shawn's cock like Bischoff on Hogan. It is quite pathetic. They did the old Cena, if you don't love him then you gotta respect him, and he may be flamboyant but golly is he fun! Around the time he "Lost his Smile" he ALWAYS talked about the fans and how they paid a ticket and deserved to cheer or boo as they please. But you could tell he was a bit bitter as they usually booed him by late 96 and into 97 other than the ladies.

From what I hear Shawn was high as a kite when he got pasted by the marines. Davey Boy had no clue as to what was going down as he was stumbling around as was Waltman. I will credit the WWF, they made the angle interesting and it is a nice contrast to compare what will be the WWF in a year or two as well as Nitro as it slowly became more adult oriented.

12. THTRobtaylor

The version generally accepted was Davey was trapped in the car for a spell but when he got out was when they backed off as Davey, even drunk was a very formidable opponent and, as the jackass who goosed his wife found out to his (and Davey's sadly) cost by then Steve Blackman was also on the scene and the Marine guys got out of there. Whatever the truth, Davey's presence (and the other wrestlers) prevented it being a death in my eyes... had they got Shawn alone... he's a goner...

It does serve as the litmus test for reality and it passed, we got more angles after that that were edgier and arguably far more controversial but ultimately for all the good there was also a "Shawn Sob Story" and born again, reformed or not... you can never discount the damage those actions did.

13. theHeadliner

Michaels lost the IC belt to Jannetty on RAW in 1993 and when he lost to Sid it was Survivor Series 1996. For what its worth Vince went along with Shawn beating Davey in England because they thought it was a curveball that Davey ALWAYS wins in England and they were trying to get DX real heat, which they accomplished that night.

14. THTRobtaylor

Ok my bad on the Jannetty one, but Shawn had gotten the guy fired by lying he was drunk during their Royal Rumble match to protect himself. It's one of the few times Vince has ever given someone a "Billy Martin" and put them right back to where they were before their "fall from grace", did Shawn do it for his buddy? No, he was more likely punished for lying.

15. theHeadliner

How and why did he get Jannetty fired? In Bret's book he said Marty showed up drunk and unkempt to the event and wrestled the match drunk and unkempt to which Vince fired him right after. In Shawn's book he said he partied the night before, tripped over a parking bump and scraped his face up so Vince was mad at him for partying the night before.

16. theHeadliner

Shawn said he was out partying the night before the Rumble and tripped over the parking bump and scraped his face up, and Vince was mad at him for partying the night before. He mentioned Marty getting fired right after the Rumble but it was because he was coming in drunk and far gone every night.

17. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

If it makes TV, it's not legit. Therefore it's a work and even if Shawn was attacked by Marines for being a prick and stuff, he wasn't concussed enough to pass out in the ring. If it were a real scenario, the paramedics would have rushed out and it would have been held off camera similar to Owen Hart's accident.

So no. It wasn't legit.

18. Rayne

Rayne Sally Section

Shawn Michaels has two spectacularly great works in his career.

The first was the fall during the Owen Hart match.

The second was convincing the world that it was eight Marines in Syracuse, and not one guy pissed off because Shawn was trying to pick up his girlfriend.

19. Mustang Sally

Mustang Sally Sells seashells by the seashore

As far as I'm concerned, it was Owen who made the whole angle seem real. After all, people are constantly hitting the ground in pro wrestling. How many times have we seen a guy seemingly beaten within an inch of his life, only to rise a moment later and continue the battle?

Just watching Shawn collapse in sections to the mat didn't alarm me at all, but the manner in which Owen began moving forward to launch his attack .....and suddenly stopped cold and recoiled when he saw HBK down made me believe the whole thing might be for real. Yes, we're used to seeing EMTs come down to the ring to care for a fallen wrestler, and I was told the announcers were speaking in hushed tones as an indication of how serious the situation was.....but it was Owen's reaction that made me think of a referee giving the "X" sign to indicate a real injury.

Mitch Henessey likes this.
  20. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I always remebered this to be a work. It had me believing it was real at the time so it must have been done well. It was to give HBK time to heel some injuries between then and Mania if I remember correctly. When HBK fell in the ring I thought he was legit injured, and I believe they played it into a possibly retirement angle. It got the fans even more behind Shawn, and it was one of those storylines that until later I wasn't sure if it was real or a work.

21. The Fabulous Rougeau's

The Fabulous Rougeau's Championship Contender

The way I reember it, it was done to write Shawn off for a few months to give him a comeback Rumble win. He was in the midst of his face turn and this was probably seen as a way to help in that reguard in drawing sympathy from fans.