Has WWE's obsession with social media removed the possibility of a quick return?

That Other Guy

His Dudeness
When Brock Lesnar returned to the WWE last week, I was watching as both a WWE and UFC fan. I was excited. Brock came out and pandered to the crowd for a while. Then, I realized that he was not simply soaking in his return. Sure, I'd be willing to bet that he enjoyed every second of it, but I felt like there was something else going on. Brock walked around at the top of the ramp for what seemed like an unnecessarily long time. That's when it hit me.

Vince (rather than using the almighty "they") wanted Brock to wait at the top of the ramp. That way, it gives time for Twitter and Facebook to catch on to Brock return, tell others, and allows time for those others to start watching. Now, I'm making an assumption here, but given the heavy emphasis recently put on the proper use of Twitter (they had a meeting, for Christ's sake), I feel it is not unreasonable to suspect that Twitter has affected what happens on-air.

This is not to complain. I actually don't have strong feelings either way when it comes to WWE's social media use. However, it takes time for information to travel to a sufficient number of people. Does that take away the possibility of a quick return? Let's say Brock came out of the crowd and delivered an F-5 to Cena. Just as powerful? Absolutely. Does Brock get to stay afterward and have his return moment? Yep. Does WWE's lose the viewers they would otherwise have by removing the chance of tuning in late? Well, there it is.

Thoughts?

NO it's not a social media thing...I think you're looking too much into this.

The impact on twitter and facebook would've been the same weather he would've waited 20 minutes, or just ran into the ring and dropped Cena,

Media picked up on the story right away. Yahoo had an article, TMZ reported on it, I believe ESPN had a story, and many MMA reports picked up on it.

WWE didn't NEED social networking, nor do I think Vince told Brock to wait at the top of the ramp. Guys used to do that all the time back in the day before twitter and facebook were even around.

WWE announced Brock's return on twitter approx 10 minutes before he appeared at the top of the ramp, therefore allowing people to change channels and watch. You may be right that the delay of him walking into the ring was also linked

Think back to the Monday Night Wars, its well known that WCW announced the result of WWF(E)'s main event as a ploy to turn people off, but as a result lots of people switched over to see it happen

Announcing on Twitter is just another way of boosting viewers

And for those who like surprises, and dont want to know in advance, dont log into Twitter during the show. However some returns are still kept as a surprise as the anticipation is enough (ie, the rock)

Agreed with VinnieSunshine...you are overthinking it. The delay was most likely just a pause to allow the home audience to wonder exactly what it was Brock was going to do, to absorb the return before he runs down to the ring. I have to believe that they understand that whatever they do with twitter, it has to be in reaction to the wrestling, not that what they do in wrestling is a reaction to twitter. Twitter or not, Brock would have delayed the same. It's a psychological thing, not a twitter thing.

I like your train of thought, but I agree with the last two. You're overthinking. The delay is intended to create suspense and drama. Granted, dramatic delays are designed to get kids to call their friends and have a "ZOMG!" moment, but to say that's the only purpose is an oversimplification.

But speaking further to your point, I'm wondering if they would do that in the future. It would take WWE partnering with a really advanced web analytics company and this company to spit out instantaneous results fast enough for Creative to read, absorb, discuss, relay to VKM, make decision, tell referee, tell wrestlers. There are a lot of possible potholes on that road and I wonder if the payoff would be big enough to risk something like that.

And for those who like surprises, and dont want to know in advance, dont log into Twitter during the show. However some returns are still kept as a surprise as the anticipation is enough (ie, the rock)

I know I avoid Facebook on the mondays after PPVs, because WWE (and Wrestlezone) spam the match results all over there, and as I'm the the UK, and usually have to get up with the kids in the morning on a monday, I can't stay up till 4 in the morning watching a PPV

I was at that RAW in Miami. The fans chanted for Lesnar all night, but it was picked up on tv very loudly the two times you heard it during the Cena promo. Most of us even thought Lesnar was going to make an appearance at WrestleMania 28 itself. After I got back to the hotel after RAW, I read about the Twitter announcement 10 minutes before Brock came out. My first reaction was "oh, maybe they announced it on Twitter since the fans in the arena spoiled it already". Fans even had "Brock is Back" signs. A lot of people have been looking into this Twitter announcement so much, but if you really look at it, the fans were chanting his name all night. It looks like WWE only sent the Twitter announcement to explain why the fans were chanting for him before he came out.

I think WWE's obsession doesn't remove the possibility of a surprise return. The fans have to be disciplined and if they want to be surprised than they need to stay away from Social Media or any news outlet that spoils or list possible spoilers for shows or PPV's. Its all about the fans, if they want to be surprised then they do that if not then no more surprises.

I remember the days when if you didn't watch the show, you didn't get to see what happened.

The days when "Oh shit! I missed it!" was incentive to tune in and watch the whole show next week.

Sorry, true fans, but this obsession with social media is the WWE's way of pandering to the lowest form of "fan". Like it or not, it's ruined any possibility for any true surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back