Has Kevin Durant Ruined The Upcoming NBA Season?

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
I'm sure that everyone knows by now, unless you live under a rock, that Kevin Durant chose to join the Golden State Warriors with his free agency during this past off season. Some people like the idea and a lot of people hate it. For those that see it as no big deal or a non issue; allow me to put this move into perspective for you.

The Warriors, without Durant, were already a super team. They had 3 current all stars, the best shooting back court in NBA history, a former all star in Andre Iguodala coming off the bench, and the current back to back league MVP, Stephen Curry; who many say has now emerged as the best player in the world. Not to mention, they also had the best bench in the league as well. Without Durant they were able to win 73 games out of 82 in the regular season; which is the best record of all time. They even started last season off with a 24 game winning streak. Without Durant and with their best player injured, they were able to make it to the Finals for the second straight season and push LeBron and company to 7 games. Now, they ultimately lost in the Finals, but a lot of fans are saying that LeBron was lucky. I'm not taking anything away from LeBron or the Cavs but if Dreymond Green hadn't been suspended a game, Iggy and Bogut hadn't of been injured those last few games, and Curry was 100%, there could have been a different outcome to the Finals. That was all without Kevin Durant. What's that? You don't know who Kevin Durant is? Allow me to put him into perspective for everyone.

Kevin Durant is primarily a SF. He's 6'10 with a 7'6 wing span and he weighs around 240 lbs. Not only does he have size, but he has a very decent handle. Decent enough to take defenders off the dribble. It doesn't stop there, though. He has a hell of a jump shot too. He can pull up and drain it from 3, mid range, you name it. He was the second pick in the 2007 draft, 7x all star, all star MVP, 5x All NBA 1st Team, All NBA 2nd Team, 2008 Rookie of the Year, Rookie Challenge MVP, 4x Scoring Champion to date, member of the 40-50-90 club (40% 3pt, 50% FG, 90% FT), 2x Olympic Gold Medalist, and a former league MVP. Oh yea, he's only 28 years old. He has career averages of 27.4 ppg, 48.3 FG%, 38 3pt%, 88.2 FT%, 7 RPG, and 3.4 APG. Durant is widely considered by many to be the second best player in the world behind only LeBron James. Those that have now added Curry to that category still have Durant in the top three. So Durant is a top 2 or 3 player in the world and he has joined the best regular season team in NBA history. A 73 win, championship contending, super team.

This past week, Golden State faced the Clippers, a very good team in their own right. Many consider the Clippers the 3rd or 4th best team currently in the NBA. Anyways, Golden State faced the Clippers in a preseason game and stomped them by 45pts. Sure, this was only a preseason game but all the best players from each team played and the Warriors honestly looked like they were practising or in a shootaround. So I ask you guys; has Durant's move to Golden State ruined this upcoming season? Are the Finals a for gone conclusion? Will the regular season be boring to watch?

Let me know your opinions.

No. if we recall, the Heat lost to the Mavs in 2011. Nobody would have predicted that based on looking at the rosters on paper.

I think Golden State is the favorite and I do think they will play well together because none of those guys(KD, Curry, Klay, Green) need the ball in their hands all the time to be effective. They can all play off the ball. So I don't see any real chemistry issues.

But a jump shooting team can be had. If the jumpers aren't falling, they aren't falling. And they still won't be able to keep Lebron from getting to the basket at will, and have nobody who can check Kyrie. Once Bogut got hurt and wasn't there to protect the basket, they couldn't guard Cleveland nearly as effectively. KD won't change that.

Maybe. Depends on how consistently good they can be. For anyone paying attention, between the Durant signing and other off the court issues, this team could be considered the top monster heels in the NBA. It is a cool narrative and may add some intrigue to the season.

There are also other stories out there: NY's additions, the Cavs repeat attempt, the rebuilding Lakers, whatever the heck the Bulls are supposed to be, the growth and future of the Celts, the Duncanless Spurs, Clippers chaos, and what the heck is Westbrook going to be?

But you may be on to something. If Draymond can handle the changes and know his role and everyone else stays relatively healthy, with Kerr's leadership this team may make this season a waste of time and attention.

Maybe. Depends on how consistently good they can be. For anyone paying attention, between the Durant signing and other off the court issues, this team could be considered the top monster heels in the NBA. It is a cool narrative and may add some intrigue to the season.

There are also other stories out there: NY's additions, the Cavs repeat attempt, the rebuilding Lakers, whatever the heck the Bulls are supposed to be, the growth and future of the Celts, the Duncanless Spurs, Clippers chaos, and what the heck is Westbrook going to be?

But you may be on to something. If Draymond can handle the changes and know his role and everyone else stays relatively healthy, with Kerr's leadership this team may make this season a waste of time and attention.

Yeah, there's a lot of other teams that will be interesting to watch. But in terms of the championship, barring injury I would be absolutely shocked if it's anyone other than Cavs vs. Warriors. The Spurs with a very outside shot. I don't see anyone else in the picture at all.

My take on this is that I myself am tired of all the "super teams" that have been assembled over the last eight years or so. Now mind you, I do miss the way teams were in the 90's, but I'm fully aware that the times had to change after the reign of Bulls in the 90's and the early 2000's Lakers. But for me, Kevin Durant didn't necessarily ruin the upcoming season for me. What gets me is the decision to join a team that didn't need him, and also the very same team that knocked him out of the playoffs. Clearly he's chasing a ring, but him joining an already stacked team doesn't translate to rings. Also, looking at the last six years alone, it's become almost predictable as who the favorites are to at least get to the Finals, let alone win it. Hell, LeBron has been in the last six Finals with two different squads. I guess what I'm trying to say if that there needs to be more parity in the NBA. Way to many teams are considered afterthoughts after the Warriors and Cavs. You should have the top stars playing on different teams.

I don't have a problem with super teams being made depending on how it's done. The way the Celtics were made wasn't bad and even though I wanted them to lose more than anything, I still loved the team. The Cavs big 3 and Lakers big 4 that was really only 1 (Kobe, gasol, Nash, Howard) isn't bad at all. The Heat big 3 being formed isn't even as bad as Durant joining the Warriors. 3 mates joining a team. Sure it was hectic but it won't ever compare to joining the rival reigning championship team. I know Durant is going to have the time of his life and really he isn't doing anything wrong but it's just so foreign that it has to be frowned upon.

Enough about that, what they did to the clippers was disgusting. Made me lose hope for the season. I always knew it was going to be Warriors/Cavs but now it's probably just Warriors to lose. I am so scared of their final 5 or so minute team with Iggy at the 3, KD at the 4 and Green at the 5. How can that team be guarded? If the same thing didn't happen every year, a super team being predicted to dominate but taking time to gel, then I would say they were a lock to beat the regular season win record. Hard to see this team needing time to gel but sure enough it'll happen. They'll probably lose a few easy ones to start the season but come January onward there is no team that is going to compete.

No, because people love to hate. Wrestling is a great example. Roman Reigns is the most recent example. In basketball Lebron James is another good example. A lot of people, even outside Ohio, hated him for what he did to the Cavs. A) because a lot of people considered it taking the easy way out, and B) they believed what you're proposing; that it makes the upcoming season boring. What happened? The lost 2 of their chances at a ring. Many were happy about that. Not because the other team won. But because the Heat lost.

Just because people have been rooting for GS in the recent past doesn't mean they won't start loving to hate them now. A) they're getting a lot of bandwagon fans, which automatically makes them a target for haters, and B) they've created a super team, meaning the haters are going to love to watch them lose. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. But it'll bring in ratings nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back