Guessing Cena vs Shane at Wrestlemania?

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by Hakushi, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Hakushi

Hakushi Kensuke "Jinsei" Shinzaki

That's my opinion for what's being set up tomorrow on Smackdown. Won't be against anyone in the fatal 5 way, because, in theory, any one could win the title and end up against Nakamura....unfortunately the next biggest draw they have ( Next to DB)is Shane.... anyone have another guess?

2. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

I'm worried that he is going to ask Daniel Bryan to be his tag team partner best man as he make Nikki Bella his wife at WM, which would make him the biggest winner on the night.

Or something cheesy like that.

But Shane makes sense. The other thing I thought of was him trying to get involved in the US Champ picture since he had the open challenge thing working for him for a while.

None of this excites me though. He's probably taking another significant break after Mania to promote Blockers or some hosting gigs which makes it all pretty irrelevant.

3. Hakushi

Hakushi Kensuke "Jinsei" Shinzaki

I could see the US title deal also, just dismissed it because it's starting to look like the challengers are many (Rusev, Orton, Mahal) but, given the lazy "throw the kitchen sink in" booking, I could see anything you said happening.

4. MWRedskins

MWRedskins Mid-Card Championship Winner

my thinking is that he'll face The Undertaker, but i fear it'll be after Fastlane.

my guess is that tomorrow on Smackdown, he'll either be put in a match vs. Nakamura where if he wins, he gets put in a triple threat with Nakamura and the champion OR he gets inserted in the WWE title match by Shane McMahon, Owens and Zayn than complain about it and it happens.

either way, i see him (likely) failing at either of those at Fastlane, then finally (realizing he's very desperate) challenges Undertaker and finally getting him. my hope is that Undertaker shows up on Smackdown, but i dont see it happening until after Fastlane.

5. Razz

Razz Pre-Show Stalwart

Cena will probably be put in a match with Nakamura for Fastlane. So that Nakamura can get the rub and have some sort of momentum for his Mania match with AJ. If Taker returning is true, I would like to see him return more closely to his real persona and the American Badass return. It would make sense with him symbolically retiring the Undertaker persona. But I don't really want to see Taker return if he can't even go anywhere the level he wants to in the ring. Cena/Shane is also interesting option but it doesn't make much sense with the Shane/Bryan stuff that has been building for months.

6. thebarber

thebarber Mid-Card Championship Winner

It will be Cena vs Undertaker, they throwing a curveball to get people to watch Smackdown.

7. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

One other possibility that no-one has considered.

The thing with the Shane/Bryan/Owens & Sami thing is, that, as far as I know, Daniel Bryan hasn't been cleared to wrestle. So, unless his neck has some miraculous recovery (when this is a guy who doesn't believe in surgery), I can see Bryan at Wrestlemania as a cornerman, rather than a tag-team partner.

Given that, Shane should announce a tag-team match at Wrestlemania. It will be Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn versus Shane McMahon and a secret partner, a partner that Daniel Bryan gets to choose.

A.J. Styles is considered, since he has been part of the storyline, but I am tipping that he will already be booked to defend his WWE Title against Shinsuke Nakamura at Wrestlemania.

Bryan says that he can't do the match because of medical issues, so he has picked someone else. Someone he is close to, and knows like a brother- or is that- "brother in law".

Out would come John Cena, and it would be John Cena & Shane McMahon w/Daniel Bryan versus Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn.

How would you feel about this option of what Cena could do at Wrestlemania?

8. BigDaddyKewl

BigDaddyKewl Getting Noticed By Management

It's a shame they killed Jinder Mahal's momentum after he dropped the title. It would have been great to Jinder carry the title until Mania to drop it to Cena. However if they have no one else for Cena and the Undertaker doesn't work Mania then maybe it could still work. Smackdown could desperately needs some star power and a program of Cena vs Mahal would help fill programming and gives Smackdown another marquee other then Nakumara vs AJ. Mahal certainly looks the part and would be believable going against Cena. They could also have Mahal play up the anti American gimmick and praising India and have John stand up for the old US of A.

9. Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff

Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff Getting Noticed By Management

The thing is, all the reports are that Bryan is fit and could wrestle tomorrow, but WWE won't clear him. There were all the rumours that he would go back to ROH once his contract runs out. So he could wrestle, WWE just won't let him

10. thebarber

Bryan isn't wrestling at Wrestlemania, unless they going for the Hardy pop and announce it actually as it happens. I see Zayn vs Owens anyway so I don't see a Bryan match

11. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Which, for WWE, is probably the right thing to do.

You have to remember that some 50+ former wrestlers and managers are part of a class action lawsuit in which they say WWE withheld information from them in regards to head and neck trauma. Bryan has a very well documented history of both head and neck issues and WWE letting him wrestle could be viewed as negligent on their part, especially if Bryan suffered another neck injury or concussion during the match. Bryan himself said that he suffered 3 concussions within the first 6 months or so of his career, so there's no telling how many he's probably had that've gone undiagnosed. Even if they had Bryan sign any and all sorts of legal releases, they risk a Daniel Bryan return to the ring turning into a public relations nightmare and potentially lending some sort of credibility to the lawsuit.

If Bryan went to ROH or New Japan and got hurt, it'd be a tragedy. If Bryan stayed in WWE and got hurt, it'd be a tragedy that'd have people from all walks of life wanting to crucify WWE.

As for Cena vs. Shane, I'd like that even less than seeing him shoehorned into the Styles vs. Nakamura match. If those were the only two choices, I'd just as soon as not even have Cena wrestle at all. If nothing else, have him challenge Bobby Roode for the US Championship.

12. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

If they weren't going for Cena vs Undertaker, they wouldn't have Cena mention this on RAW during Wrestlemania season. Cena definitely didn't shoot on Monday.

As everyone else said, and I also hope for.. Cena is going to challenge Nakamura. Now why would Nakamura accept? Noone knows! But he will. And he will beat Cena.

(SOMETHING I WAS CALLING FOR SINCE THE RUMBLE)

Cena will fail again. Hopefully. And then he will get his Wrestlemania match. Which raises the question.. Cena will have to win at Wrestlemania after failing so much, right?

PS: if Cena ends up being Shane's partner, I'd be let down. Can we please scrap the Owens/Zayn/Shane programm??

13. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost squashed Disco Inferno to become

It's a swerve.

He is still facing Taker.

14. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

Nah, they probably just try to use Cena at Fastlane. Nakamura doesnt have a match, get Cena vs Nakamura and wait until Taker interfere to set up Taker vs Cena at Mania. Too much mysticism from both of them for not using that as storyline.

15. c0creat0r

c0creat0r Dark Match Jobber

Lol... Yep they are holding him down because they are the evil empire and hate the little guy. They are purposely not using a guy that could make them a lot of money and ratings because they are jealous they didn't make him "the guy", the fans did. You're so paranoid.

Maybe, just maybe... The public traded company realizes they are in a no-win situation. If they hold him out, they are the evil empire, refusing to allow DB his glory and denying the fans their hero. Let's say they clear him and allow him to wrestle... Heaven forbid he gets ANY kind of injury upon returning... Do you have ANY IDEA how quick the "how could you let him wrestle in his condition" accusations would come flying out? How many people would vilify the WWE for "just trying to make a buck" off a guy who should not have been wrestling after his neck injury. Think about it.

I just hope DB doesn't get injured again in ROH or wherever, but I think WWE is just playing it safe and looking out for their best interests and the best health interests of DB. If they honestly didn't fear the blow back of a possible followup injury, there is no chance they wouldn't throw him back in the ring and milk his popularity for every dollar they could.

16. MWRedskins

MWRedskins Mid-Card Championship Winner

my guess is that Jinder Mahal's wrestlemania plans are to go after (and maybe even win) the United States Championship at Wrestlemania....maybe in a triple threat where he pins Orton.

if they do this Nakamura vs. Cena match (that i fear will happen) WWE better not have Undertaker interfere or have Cena beat Nakamura. have Nakamura win clean, Nakamura shouldnt win that way and should win clean to give him momentum...as for Cena, if he does fight and lose to Nakamura, then they should have him (with no alternative) challenge Undertaker.

17. Spencesc11

Spencesc11 Getting Noticed By Management

I think you save Nakamura & Cena by having Taker come in and takeout both of them. Match ends in a no-contest and both guys save face.

18. roipdh123

roipdh123 Getting Noticed By Management

It needs to be Cena vs Undertaker, it's THE match for them. They can go the route of Shane vs Cena but story wise it's not right as Bryan and Shane vs Owens and Zayn is built up for months. They can possibly have Cena enter the WWE title match making it a six pac challenge or face Nakamura, where if he wins he wins he gets added to the title match. Then you can either have Taker cost him either match, or have him added to Styles vs Nakamura (which will actually give credibillity to this match for non IWC fans like myself...). If neither of these options is happening and they do continue the Shane and Bryan vs Owens and Zayn story, then I would like to see Cena in a journey to the title that twice before made him a star - the US Title with a feud against Bobby Roode (that's if Orton is not wrestling at WM like the rumors suggest). Cena can say that in 2004 the US Title gave him the path to greatness, and in 2015 it gave him the path to earn the respect of the fans finally after so much time, and now in 2018 it will give him not only the path to WM but the path to one last time cement his legacy.

So to sum things up - if Cena does go to SmackDown Live then my rank for his options are:
    1. Cena vs Undertaker
    2. Cena vs Styles vs Nakamura
    3. Cena vs Shane
    4. Cena vs Roode

19. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

Cena vs Taker should have happened years ago, after the Triple H matches, but it didn’t. It’s impossible to say if the match will happen. They may have been planting the seeds, they may have also just been addressing the internet rumours. Whatever happens, things are moving to Smackdown.

Shane McMahon needs a WrestleMania match. Take that however you will, he’s going to be on the card regardless how you feel about him. The Shane and Bryan angle needs some kind of payoff or resolution, and John Cena has the family connection to Daniel. If Shane and Daniel completely implode, Cena could easily represent his brother in law from a logical standpoint.

It seems unlikely though that Cena and Bryan or Shane McMahon are going to turn heel. What seems likely though is Shane and Cena teaming up to take on Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, to resolve that angle finally. Yes, it means John Cena is in his second consecutive WrestleMania tag team match, where he and another part timer are most likely going over two full time talents. The heroes ought to prevail here, right?

It certainly seems like logical booking, but it does raise a lot of questions and pose a lot of challenges. It also isn’t as money of a match as Undertaker. There’s reason to believe Taker could wrestle once more. He’s been spotted working out, he looked good on Raw 25, where he gave a particularly vague promo. At no point has Undertaker proclaimed his retirement. They barely mention his loss to Roman, and when they did he was the guy who “might” have retired The Undertaker.

Taker’s Mania 33 loss was just so good though. Leaving behind his gear and breaking kayfabe, going out on his back, and putting over a proven young talent – even if that talent was IWC whipping boy, Roman Reigns – it was all as close to perfect as you could get without The Streak intact.

I don’t think if tarnishes that moment if Taker wrestles one last match, but then that last match is with another part timer and most likely Undertaker goes out on top. That will be the moment in hype packages forever. That will be the moment remembered, whereas WrestleMania 33 will always be glossed over. What was the point of Roman going over last year? He’d look just as strong now going into this match with Brock with or without it given they never mention it.

Maybe it’s better to remember a dominant Undertaker than a vulnerable one? Maybe his last moment as an active wrestler should be John Cena RIP. It’s the money match for both men. Does it go on last? It is the Undertaker after all.

I’m not convinced that it is going down or that it should go down, but Cena vs Taker is the draw while Cena vs Shane or Cena and Shane vs the evil best friends are consolation prizes.

20. King Michéal

King Michéal Dark Match Jobber

How about the following scenario

Cena appears on Smackdown to answer the US Open challenge tonight, Jinder Mahal and Randy Orton get involved causing the DQ, Daniel Bryan makes the match for fastlane Cena vs Orton vs Mahal vs Roode for the US title.

At fastlane cena gets pinned by Bobby Roode. As the man that got pinned, he is left out of the US title picture at wrestlemania, therefore the only way to compete at wrestlemania is to enter the andre the giant battle royale

at wm the last 2 left in the battle royale are Dolph Ziggler and John Cena, the 2 men stare each other down, shake hands and leave the ring

Monday Night Raw after WM opens with Roman Reigns victory celebration, as Roman is about to speak he gets jumped by the team of Ziggler and Cena, Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder join the attack. Cena takes the mic, says for 15 years hes been the man, hes been used to getting things his own way, but the landscape is changing and the last few months have shown he needs friends to have his back, so he looked around for other guys that havent received the opportunities theyve been due, havent received the respect that they should have, and theyre going to ensure that they arent disrespected again.
    The new group jump between shows, attacking champions and and carving out opportunities for themselves

21. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At this point, while i really don't get why, they really want to go with Taker vs Cena at wrestlemania and last night's promo and angle is pretty much just a placeholder so that they can justify why Cena is on the Fastlane card in 2 week.

The fact is that they really need star power for the last smackdown PPV before mania and Cena bring that. I wouldn't be surprise if tonight he challenge Nakamura for his mania title shot and that's the match for the PPV which would then lead to Taker somehow interfering in the match and that's how you start Cena's program with Taker.

On a personal level i would rather see anybody else wrestling Cena then taker because let's face it, at this point in his career, Taker can't barely move and Cena will try to cover it up as much as possible but unless they decide to go with a no dq match to hide taker mobility issues, it probably feel the same way as last year's match with Reigns which was really sad to watch.

22. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

I don't care what reports here say, I am more interested in what medical reports say about Bryan's neck.

My understanding is that his neck injury is the same one that ended "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's, Edge's and Paige's careers as well. So, unless you are saying that all four of these people can all wrestle again, then I don't see how Bryan can (especially since, unlike the other three, Bryan isn't a believer in surgery or convential medicine). A neck injury like that doesn't heal itself.

Maybe Bryan wants to wrestle, but WWE doctors have advised against it. Besides, Vince doesn't want a lawsuit if Bryan comes back, and then injures his neck again. He already has the former superstars suing him for concussion.

Maybe Bryan should not take the risk on his health and possible paralysis. He has a young child, and a family to consider. Better he stay out of in-ring action, continue to appear on screen as SD GM, and remain healthy and able to live a normal life, rather than in a wheelchair.

I remember Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat once saying that his back injury that he had retired from had 100% healed, but he chose to retire anyway, because he didn't want to redo his back, or make it worse, and have his son push him around in a wheelchair.

People like Austin, Edge and Bryan don't need to wrestle and risk their health. WWE rewards them handsomely, and Bryan will get in the HoF one day, and get a Legends contract down the track, so he doesn't financially ever need to wrestle again.

Better to have him at ringside, so he can still be a part of 'Mania, and have Cena and Shane take on Owens and Zayn.

23. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

God I hope it isn't Cena vs Shane at WrestleMania. Cena hasn't become a has been who needs such a match. Cena is still a huge name and has a lot he could bring WrestleMania. I said on another, not as good, forum that I wouldn't want to see 'Taker vs Cena given 'Taker's horrible showing last year, but if I had to choose between that or Cena/Shane; I'll 'Taker all day everyday. I can't stand Shane McMahon matches. They're always the same. Boring as hell, the one big spot, then the finish we all seen coming from a mile away.

Not interested in that in the slightest.

24. thebarber

Shane will be the referee in Owens vs Zayn, where the loser leaves Smackdown