Greatest Moments in Wrestling: Hulk Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnarage2

Pre-Show Stalwart
note: Ok I don't know if anybody made a series about this. So if anybody did im sorry.

Anyways back to the topic. Hulk Hogan is and was the man that Helped made Wrestling the way it is today. I think if it wasn't for Hogan the WWF/E would not be as it is today. But enough of that I want to know is what is Hulk Hogan's Greatest moment?

Mine Has to be The Return of Hulkamania at Wrestlemania X8. this was the match everybody wanted to see at that years Wrestlemania. It was the showcase of the Immortals. It was during the match that almost everybody cheered for Hogan. when I watched it I sense that Hulkamania was rising again. After the match rock and Hogan shook hands and then the Nwo attacked Hogan. The Rock came back down and helped Hogan fight off Nash and Hall. and then after that Hogan was about to leave rock asks Hogan to do the famous Hogan taunt. Hogan hesitated but he did it and they both celebrated and Hulkamania returned. And then I dont really remember if it was raw or smackdown after Mania when Hogan went back to his Red and Yellow and thats when Hulk Hogan was back full force.

But what do you think was the Greatest Hogan Moment?

There are 2 that stand out for me.

1st of all...slamming Andre The Giant at Wrestlemania 3, which is still an iconic wrestling moment even to this day. It was reported as never having been done before and so made Hogan into a super-strong unstoppable hero in the eyes of the fans, which certainly helped him to remain at the top for so long. He will always be remembered for that.

Secondly, the heel turn at Bash At The Beach 1996, where Hogan joined Nash and Hall and formed the New World Order. It was so shocking as it was the first time Hogan had ever gone heel as a main eventer, he was the life-long babyface hero and to see Hulk insult his fans and join the bad guys was a jaw-on-the-floor moment that changed the course of wrestling history. It prolonged Hogan's career, made him fresh and relevent again and was the catalyst for the sucess of WCW at that time.

To be honest, I would have to say it was when the Ultimate Warrior beat him for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, it would have been nice to have seen Warrrior be a long term fixture in WWF. Hulk Hogan might have lost the match but it showed that despite what the internet wrestling marks say about him he has been willing to step aside and let someone else run with the ball.

Now granted, the Warrior's time at the top did not last but it was still an interesting break to see Hogan without the strap. This was similar to when Macho Man had won the title in 1988, Hogan still had a decent profile in the WWF even without the strap and I think he still could have if the Warrior had proven to be in it for the long haul. I am not going to speculate and place blame as to why Warrior's push did not last, it just didn't and I don't care how many internet rumors or tell all DVDs tell the story of the Warrior's downfall, the fact is he still beat the most over star of that time period clean in the center of the ring, it was a very big shocker and that fact will never change.

Personal feelings aside (I would have booked WrestleMania VI's main event far differently if it were up to me) I was not the biggest Warrior fan but I still enjoyed seeing the outcome of the match occur the way it did. I will even say that seeing Hogan vulnerable for the first time in my childhood made the character more likeable for me to be honest. Sure there were other losses that Hogan had during his big time push in the 80s but those matches were either in Japan or they were screwjob finishes like when he lost his first WWF World Title to Andre The Giant on the Main Event in February of 1988.

Therefore I can't help but say that this might be Hogan's greatest moment because it showed that the character could be beaten but that there was still more of the story left to tell. I can't disagree with the other posters about what they picked either, and I know there will be other moments that other fans will chime in with in regards to Hogan's greatest moments. I look forward to reading them all.

It has to be the match at Wrestlemania 3 when Hogan slammed Andre. Three things were accomplished that day:

1. A new leaf was turned in WWF
2. The last chapter in the career and life of Andre the Giant came to a close
3. Hulkamania evolved greatly

With that evolution Hulkamania went through, Hogan was able to hand over the #1 spot to Ultimate Warrior at the next Wrestlemania.

i'd always have to say that the best moments in Hulk Hogan's career was when he was putting other people over. To be the biggest name in the industry and to try and step aside and pass the torch time and again, the same way Andre had did for him, will always stand out as what made Hulk so good. The Nitro when Goldberg won the title will always stand out for me. Great build to the match and Hogan, while with the NWO, let the match play out cleanly. One of my top 5 moments from the Monday Night Wars, and it was all because Hogan chose to take the bump for Goldberg.

This is a hard one for me i have 5 moments what stand out, some you may agree with, some you may not!!

1. Hogan slamming Andre - The slam heard around the world, lets face it, Andre was never pinned before this match, Hogan for the first time in his career was at a point where it looked like he was definatley gonna lose, he went for the slam once and Andre enarly won then, and then it happened the slam, legdrop and 1-2-3 and that to me made Hulkamania the force that it became.

2. Hogan beats Iron Sheik in MSG for 1st WWF Title - Iron Sheik was americas most hated and the crowd was begging for a hero to stop him, who else but Hulk Hogan in a super human effort of 5 mins no less an becomes Champion for 4 years kicking of the start of Hulkamania.

3. Hogan is the 3rd man - The outsiders promised a 3rd man, but no one would of ever imagined Hulk Hogan, the all american hero and good guy turns to the bad side and forms the nWo, truely one of the biggest shockers and turns in wrestling history.

4. 20 Years in the making - Who created Hulkamania? Hulk Hogan or Vince McMahon, i was 12 years old at the time but from the time Hogan went back to red and yellow in early 2002 i was a fan and at this time i knew Vince was evil and wanted Hogan to beat him, watching the match with the chairs, lead pipe, ladder, Vince's leg drop througha table and even Roddy Piper returning, nothing would keep Hogan down until he won after 3 or 4 leg drops.

5. Mega Powers EXPLODE - One of lifes oldest tales, one friend gets jealous of another and betrays that friend, Randy Savage thought Hogan wanted the belt and the woman (Miss Elizabeth) and got paranoid of Hogan, and so attacked him leading to the match at Wrestlemania V which to me was Hogan's best match.

Side note;
6. First tap out - Hogan had never tapped out before in his career, but when he did he did it to perhaps maybe the greatest wrestler of all time in Kurt Angle at KOTR 2002, which looking back at it i think thats a big claim to make.

Bash At The Beach 1996 - Hulk Hogan was already a mega-star, but by the time he landed in WCW, he was old news. After he won the WCW title in his first match, people got sick of him very quickly.

Then he was revealed to be the third Outsider. By becoming the most hated man on the planet after being "The All-American Hero" for so long, he revitalized his career and helped get WCW over WWF in the Monday Night Wars.

The funny thing about it was that Hogan once pitched the idea of a heel turn to Vince MaMahon, and Vince told him no one would ever buy it.

Bash At The Beach 1996 - Hulk Hogan was already a mega-star, but by the time he landed in WCW, he was old news. After he won the WCW title in his first match, people got sick of him very quickly.

Then he was revealed to be the third Outsider. By becoming the most hated man on the planet after being "The All-American Hero" for so long, he revitalized his career and helped get WCW over WWF in the Monday Night Wars.

The funny thing about it was that Hogan once pitched the idea of a heel turn to Vince MaMahon, and Vince told him no one would ever buy it.

Agreed, Hogan being the 3rd Outsider and leader of the Original NWO was the biggest moment of his career. As you said, when he came to WCW around 1994 he was big news. But then, people got sick of him so to rejuvinate his career he turned heel. Man i remember seeing it, and damn that was insane.:worship:

Hands down, no question about it: WrestleMania III versus Andre The Giant.

When most outsiders, meaning non-wrestling fans think about ONE moment they know about wrestling, it's Hogan slamming Andre and hitting the leg drop for the one-two-three. That moment made Hulkamania invincible. That moment pushed wrestling into the stratosphere. Sure, him turning heel and, in essence, ending Hulkamania was HUGE, but it surely wouldn't have mattered if there never was such a huge following for Hulkamania in the first place. Without the match at 'Mania III, modern wrestling would not exist and Hulk Hogan certainly wouldn't have been as big of a superstar as he was.

People forget how big of a feat it was to beat Andre The Giant. In the '70's, before Hogan, he was the WWF's biggest star. Even during Hogan's time, Andre could get pops that would rival Hogan. I mean, Jesus, Andre hadn't lost for 10-15 years through the 70's to the early 80's, the man was a beast. Hogan being able to beat him at WrestleMania III is always going to be his hallmark career moment.

Yeah, I am inclined to go with Wrestlemania III as well. I loved the heel turn, ridiculously love his Wrestlemania X8 match against the Rock, but I have to separate my personal favorite Hogan moments with the most significant to his career. Nothing Hogan has done since WMIII can compare to the level of superstardom that bodyslam brought him. As others have pointed out, for people that don't watch wrestling at all, they still know that moment. That match transcends wrestling, and is a true genuine piece of Americana.

Gotta go with Bash at the Beach 96. Hogan is the 3rd member, whatever you wanna call it. He had the greatest Hogan Promo ever. Talking about Johnny Come Latelys and Gene telling him to look at all the crap in the ring. I will never forget that one.

2nd biggest has to be slamming Andre at Wrestlemania 3.

Wrestlemania III by far. That match legitimized Hulkamania. But Andre really declined after that match.

Next would be Hogan vs Warrior. Star versus very quickly rising star and neither of them turned heel. The Warrior was over as fuck and the WWF booked the match perfectly. It's too bad that Warrior was seven cans short of a six pack.

Third is the heel turn. That was done perfectly and at the right time. People give Hogan all the credit but if it wasn't for Hall and Nash leaving WWE and insinuating that they still worked for WWE this idea never gets off the ground.

WrestleMania III-bodyslammin Andre

However, something that hasn't been mentioned yet is Hulk Hogan in WrestleMania I. WrestleMania doesn't happen without Hulk and wrestling doesn't take off across the country without Hogan in the main event at WrestleMania. Taker is awesome, but to me Hulk Hogan will always be the greatest wrestler in WrestleMania History.

It has to be the forming of the nWo. It shook the wrestling world and changed the way things were done in WWE and WCW. Hollywood Hogan might have been the best character in the history of this sport. all of this goes to show that Hogan being the third man was the greatest moment in the history of his illustrious career

Winning the belt off Iron shiek @ MSG; started his mega face run

and

Forming the nWo in daytona; started his mega heel run

Both runs defined the success of the two promotions he was in at the time...nuff said

Doing the impossible or doing the unthinkable, take your pick, Andre and the nWo BOTH sent him skyrocketing to the top of the pack... for a LOOOONG period of time ( some may say too long... haters lol) both placed a wrestling company squarely on his shoulders and he took both to number one. WAS unheard of, IS unheard of, and for the foreseeable future WILL be unheard of.... also of note was his match with Rock at WM... VERY FEW matches since that one have given me that shiver down my spine.

Everything that is Hulk Hogan begins with his decision to take part in the movie Rocky III. Before that he was a heel not making much headway. In fact, you could say that he would have been drowning had it not been for Freddie Blassie.

After that, I think the years 1984-1987 define the legend of Hulk Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back