Greater Legacy in Japan: Stan Hansen or Andre the Giant

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
After doing some research, I realized that there are only a select few 'gaijins' that can be considered legends in Puroseu/Japanese wrestling: Andre the Giant and Stan "the Lariat" Hansen. Andre was marveled for his size and ability. He was larger than life to most in Japan and his bouts with Giant Baba, Hulk Hogan, Hansen, and Antonio Inoki are things of legend to this day. Stan Hansen has defeated both Baba AND Inoki, something no other American wrestler can lay claim to.

Hansen was also a Triple Crown winner on four separate occasions, while Andre never participated in the tourney. But in the 70's, Andre was a main attraction to the masses in Japan. So it's hard to say who leaves the better legacy. Hansen could get the nod on records and numbers, but just on entertainment value alone, Andre would possibly get the nod over Hansen. So who has the better legacy? Hansen or Andre?

Reactions: X
Absolutely Stan Hansen. Andre was always a big draw in Japan, but alot of that had to do with the sheer size of the man over his great work in the ring or anything like that. But to me, there's one "statistic" alone that puts Hansen over Andre for me. Andre may have beaten both Inoki and Baba, but Hansen beat both of those men, and he beat them both for Heavyweight titles. In terms of sheer success in Japan, Hansen may just be the greatest "gaijin" of them all. His track record in AJPW speaks for itself.

Andre could be argued as the bigger draw, but overall Hansen spent far more time in Japan than Andre and he achieved far more success in that time.

Andre the Giant.

I think you guys are underestimating just how huge Andre was in Japan.

You all know the Japanese stereotypes about Godzilla, and well... some stereotypes exist simply because they're true. The Godzilla one is true, and Andre the Giant was the closet thing Japan ever got to a real Godzilla, and everyone flocked to see this man out of curiosity, and I'm positive none of them were ever disappointed.

Also, I think a lot people forget just how good Andre was back then. He wasn't anything like the Wrestlemania 3 version of him. He was still huge, don't get me wrong, but he was a lot more fit and athletic. The man put on some tremendous matches for that day, considering his size.

Moreover, it was Andre in Japan that made him such a sensation in the first place. Think about the career Andre went on to have..... that's all because of his run and success in Japan. If Hansen was truly that successful there and had such a great legacy... then he would have made a better career for himself in the states, in my opinion.

Stan Hansen, honestly... while he was very good, he was still just another gaijin who did a bunch of tours. I really don't know what separated him from the rest. However, guys like Andre, Brody, etc.... they were one of a kind, and their legacies in Japan will forever be unmatched. They didn't overstay their welcome like some (Hansen, in my opinion did, as did guys like Abdullah the Butcher), and it kind of helped their legacies looking back it. Guys like Hansen and Abdullah simply couldn't make a big name for themselves in the states, and because of that... they stuck around in Japan and deteriorated, basically. They're legends, sure, but nothing compared to a guy like Andre the Giant, in Japan or anywhere else where professional wrestling is known for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back