GOTG3 Put On Hold Indefinitely

Discussion in 'The Media Hub' started by Monster Amongst Men, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

2. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Well this is pretty shitty news. After the sacking of James Gunn, you'd have thought that Disney and Marvel would have wanted to get some good news on the go. Instead, it's more misery for fans of the film series.

Truthfully, I don't know exactly what happened with James Gunn but I've been seeing a lot of people coming out in support of him. I really thought that Disney would have appointed a new director by now and tried to put all of this in the past. With the film now, seemingly, delayed indefinitely, the outcry around James Gunn is just going to get more and more column inches.

But I guess this all comes from my own disappointment. I love GOTG and I hate to see it go through this trouble. Either way, it doesn't look as though Batista will be back in a Disney movie after Infinity War Part 2 (maybe). Being so outspoken in defence of someone never ends well.

3. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

I get wanting things to die down before they go back to it but indefinitely is ridiculous. A month or so tops while they look for a new director ( Wasn't Walt Disney himself was an Anti-Semite) if they really feel the need to can Gunn.

As a fan i'm bummed because GotG was both mine & my wife's favorite part of the MCU. I hope indefinitely isn't to long.

4. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

In a nutshell, here's what I think happened to James Gunn

Sometimes when two sides of an ideological issue resort to nasty tactics, very bad things happen to famous people.

Roseanne posted a tweet indicating that she felt that Valerie Jarrett was what you'd get if you combined the Muslim Brotherhood with The Planet of the Apes. She was promptly fired from ABC, and thus removed from her show which had a very large following. This angered a lot of her fans, and the main argument from their side seemed to be that Roseanne was a victim of a network trying to be politically correct in an overzealous manner.

I feel that fans of Roseanne, and individuals set in their ways with the alt-right, wanted to make a victim of someone in Hollywood. James Gunn had apparently posted tweets around nine years ago that joked about pedophilia. Disney caters primarily to children, thus they didn't want the negative cloud of pedophilia to ruin their reputation. Disney was made aware of these tweets due to their being shared by alt-right activist Michael Cernovich, who was an outspoken critic of ABC for firing Roseanne.

I feel that Roseanne and James Gunn deserved to be disciplined in some way, but that they should have been given an opportunity to provide a sincere apology. To my knowledge; Roseanne blamed Ambien as a knee-jerk reaction and was fired before being allowed to submit a public apology, and James Gunn posted an apology but was fired anyway.

The Guardians of the Galaxy franchise is tied in with the Infinity Gauntlet saga, and -- to my knowledge -- Batista has made it clear that he will quit if James Gunn is not reinstated as the director of the Guardians films. This is a big pickle for Disney.

If Disney hires James Gunn back, under any circumstance, they risk having their reputation annihilated on social media with memes and screen shots projecting James Gunn's tweets to social media platforms.

If Disney does not hire James Gunn back, they have to make a decision that will likely invalidate the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. Batista leaving might mean wrestling fans will abandon the series. A much bigger issue is that Disney will either have to kill off Drax or recast him, either decision will reek of desperation and risk invalidating any future Guardians movies.

I enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies as a more irreverent take on the Marvel universe, and their participation in the Infinity Gauntlet saga makes it more entertaining for me. I also loved that my fiancé is a huge comic book geek, and she was able to give me the full comic book backstory to most of what was happening.

I don't think that James Gunn is worthy of the controversy surrounding him, but I understand where Disney is coming from.

5. Mitch Henessey

Mitch Henessey Deploy the cow-catcher......
    Staff Member Moderator

I’m not too surprised by this, because the crew had to include a lot of Gunn’s guys, or people he had a rapport with, so of course Disney is going to want to start from scratch in that area.

James Gunn has always been one of my favorites, so I was bummed out about this, when it happened. I don’t know if there’s more to this, and this is just a conspiracy theory from me, but a part of me believes Disney was looking for a reason to get rid of Gunn, and they found one.

I understand why Disney did this, and I can’t imagine Gunn’s firing will have a big impact on the box office run. It’s one of the more popular series in the MCU, the cast is coming back, and the blueprint for GOTG is there to pick up on for whoever comes in next.

Batista said he would fulfill his contractual obligations for GOTG 3, but it’s clear he wants out after that. Drax has been the star of GOTG, and he easily had one of the best introductions in the series, when he stopped the thugs from killing Gamora (“Don’t you dare!”). He’s sticking up for his friend, and I remember reading a report about Disney planning to use Gunn’s script (or most of it). That was a big deal-breaker for Batista, so maybe they’ll make an effort to keep him around down the road.

6. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

When it was announced he'd been fired, I figured something like this was coming because pretty much the entire cast and much of the production crew are people who really, really, really like James Gunn as a person and really, really, really like working with him.

The jokes were pretty tasteless, of course, but, let's be honest, can any of us really say we haven't laughed at tasteless jokes? To this day, I can watch old clips on YouTube of Richard Pryor and George Carlin telling some of the most tasteless, offensive and racial slur tinged jokes in the history of stand up and I literally laughed so hard a few weeks ago that I even pissed myself a little. To some degree, Political Correctness is becoming a parody of itself when you have someone who, for whatever reason, sat through a decade worth of Tweets from James Gunn for the purpose of seeing if they could find anything bad, or something that would offend somebody as that's the easiest thing in the world to do these days, so that a big case could be made about it and it was a resounding success.

As to Batista's threats to quit, I think Batista is way, way, way overestimating his star power. Drax the Destroyer isn't exactly the deepest and most eloquent character just as Batista isn't exactly the most eloquent and well rounded actor. Finding a replacement for him wouldn't exactly be like searching for the Holy Grail as, outside of Guardians, he's mostly been in minor, secondary character roles that've been highly forgettable.