Gimmick Matches For Round Three

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
There are a few additions and a lot of subtractions this year.

Last year and the year before that, I have wondered something: what does putting a person in a casket have to do with wrestling? How about making someone bleed? Or putting someone through a table? None of those things or a lot of the absurd gimmick matches prove a damn thing, and I feel they have no place in this or any legitimate wrestling tournament. In selecting the gimmicks this year, I have done my best to get things down to at least having an element of tradition professional wrestling in it. Some of these are a bit odd, but when you think about them, I think you'll agree that these changes are for the better.

1. Singles Match

No gimmick here, just a standard one on one match. If you can't win one of these, you have no business being here anyway.

2. Steel Cage

The original gimmick match and the best when it's done right. We're going old school here and using the big blue cage because it's cooler looking and I'm an old school guy and I'm running this thing so I'm picking it. You can win by escape only, and there is a top on the cage.

3. I Quit

You make the other guy give up. How much more simplistic can I make this?

4. Ultimate Submission

Iron man match but only win by submission. You may not leave the ring more than once. If you leave a second time by your own free will, you are penalized a fall.

5. 2/3 Falls

Standard 2 out of 3 Falls match, all of which are standard wrestling matches.

6. Hardcore

You know the drill on this one I'm sure. Why call it a Monster's Ball or Falls Count Anywhere match when this is what it boils down to?

7. Ladder

I don't like it in here but it's a staple of wrestling and would be wrong to leave out.

8. Pure Rules

This is ROH's contribution to wrestling. There are 20 counts outside the ring instead of 10 and you can only use the ropes to escape three times in the match. There are no closed fists. If you throw one, you receive a warning. If you throw a second, you lose a rope break. If you have none left, you are disqualified.

9. Dog Collar

Two men are bound by the neck by a dog collar with a chain between them. Pinfall is the only way to win. For a great example of how brutal these can be, check out the original Starrcade and Piper vs. Valentine. It's a great match if nothing else.

10. Object on a Pole

The object is metal and the pole is ten feet high, starting at the top of the ring post. The object doesn't really matter that much when you think about it.

11. Embarrassment

This is an idea a buddy of mine came up with many years ago. The idea here is you can only use the opponent's finishing move to get a pin. The move will be announced prior to the match. Also, only one move per wrestler and the move will be their most well known move. In other words, I know that HHH used a Diamond Cutter when he debuted in 1995. I also don't care because he uses a Pedigree to win matches. Also for a guy like Big Show that uses two moves, in this case the punch and the chokeslam, it would be the chokeslam as that is by far and away more well known and has brought him his greatest success.

12. Street Fight

Hardcore match but pinfalls can only occur in the ring. Simple and brutal if done right.

13. Catch As Catch Can Classic

You've heard JR talk about it for years and now you get one. This is WAY old school. If you leave the ring, you are disqualified. Only a one count is needed for a pin. There are rounds instead of a continuous match. This is about as close to Olympic style wrestling as you can get, but it is wrestling in its purest form.

14. First Pain

There is another name for this but it's 2am so I don't remember it. The idea here is that before you can attempt a pin or a submission, the opponent must be bleeding. In the words of Earl Hebner, a cut on the head is not bleeding. You must be wearing a crimson mask.

15. Last Man Standing

If you've watched WWE in the last 2 years or so, you know the idea.

16. Viewer's Choice

The idea here is that the posters get to pick. Between the draw on Friday and the matches being posted on Monday, a poll will be set up where the posters get to choose the gimmick from the ones offered.

Note: these are subject to change at a moment's notice as well as general public outrage over any of my ideas.

Any questions?

10. Object on a Pole

The object is metal and the pole is ten feet high, starting at the top of the ring post. The object doesn't really matter that much when you think about it.

This is a Vince Russo staple, and the way these have been booked have been quite confusing (Russo!) in the past. Either you get the object and that makes you the winner, you get the object, use it, and that makes you the winner, or you get the object, use it, and the match continues.

Putting someone through a table or making them bleed is a lot more cut and dry, and requires a lot more effort than to just beat someone up, climb a pole, retrieve an object, and then nobody knows what happens next.

If Andre v/s RVD gets a Street Fight or Hardcore match, I may just implode. Internet implode that is. Not in real life. That would be bad.

I like these options. I really can't think of a poor choice among them. They really do exactly what is stated and provide as much of a wrestling feel to these matches as possible. Yet, there is still room for some upsets to occur, as some matches quite obviously favor certain competitors.

I'm curious to see the choices to be voted on for the viewer's choice thing. Should be fun.

If Andre v/s RVD gets a Street Fight or Hardcore match, I may just implode. Internet implode that is. Not in real life. That would be bad.

I'm guessing you're voting for Andre in that case (revenge?) if so, let's cross fingers for Object on a pole? 10 feet shouldn't be a challenge for Andre.

I'm guessing you're voting for Andre in that case (revenge?) if so, let's cross fingers for Object on a pole? 10 feet shouldn't be a challenge for Andre.

I'm suprised you didn't use the old 'Rise to the Challenge' pun there. I look forawrd to a (hopefully) favourable draw for Jericho in these gimmick rounds.

No hell in a cell? Id rather see hell in a cell then object on a pole. To be trapped inside a cage with you competitor and come out victorious takes alot of toughness and grit alot more then getting something off of a pole

No hell in a cell? Id rather see hell in a cell then object on a pole. To be trapped inside a cage with you competitor and come out victorious takes alot of toughness and grit alot more then getting something off of a pole

It will probably (don't quote me as I have no idea) be one of the choices to vote on. I get KB's logic though. Hell in a Cell is a newer concept and tends to lead to spot-fest type matches, rather than an actual wrestling contest. It would likely yield many ridiculous arguments of people getting thrown through/off of the cell which in reality would not happen.

A cage match is so different on many levels, and is a much more traditional concept, especially as it is in the big blue cage as KB said it would be.

Considering the first HIAC has some of the deepest psychology in the history of wrestling and I tend to mark out like no other for psychology, I'd say it's safe to say it'll be in there.

I don't get it?

Andre's big and well he would rise to get the object off of the poll. Jeez, you Danes don't get really bad jokes.

Chris Jericho could probably benefit from either being involved in an embarrassment match, or a ultimate submission match.

Or a Ladder match. He's got a good record in those. Whereas Rude...has he ever competed in a Ladder Match? Answers on a postcard please.

Andre's big and well he would rise to get the object off of the poll. Jeez, you Danes don't get really bad jokes.

Jeez I'm sorry I didn't include common logic..

Or a Ladder match. He's got a good record in those. Whereas Rude...has he ever competed in a Ladder Match? Answers on a postcard please.

Ladder match, Rude could probably kick some ass in those matches, but I don't know, could easily turn either way I guess, but a ultimate submission match is favorable for Jericho.

Can we keep Flair from a 'First Blood' match? I mean.. give the Nature Boy a fighting chance. However, if he makes it past this round, I'm bandwagoning Space Mountain as far as I can. Woooooo!

Ladder match, Rude could probably kick some ass in those matches, but I don't know, could easily turn either way I guess, but a ultimate submission match is favorable for Jericho.

To be honest, Jericho isn't just limited to Submissions or Ladders, I can name at least 5 other gimmicks he can excede better than Rude in. But will await the draw to see...

To be honest, Jericho isn't just limited to Submissions or Ladders, I can name at least 5 other gimmicks he can excede better than Rude in. But will await the draw to see...

Oh definitely Phoenix, definitely, but we have to count the fact that a submission match would be the specific gimmick match that Chris Jericho would excel in very well, purely due to the fact of his finisher, but then again we can pretty much discount his ability to excel if he faced someone else in the likes of Bret Hart for example.

So it's easier for people to know, here are the current Round Three matches with their gimmicks

CHICAGO Region

1. I Quit Match
Sting vs. Kurt Angle

2. Pure Wrestling Rules
Justin Thunder Liger vs. Mick Foley

3. Two out of Three Falls
El Santo vs. Shawn Michaels

4. Singles Match
Randy Savage vs. Bret Hart – Standard Rules

TORONTO Region

5. Catch as Catch Can Classic
Goldberg vs. Dusty Rhodes

6. Voters Choice
Hulk Hogan vs. The Undertaker

7. Steel Cage Match
The Rock vs. Ted DiBiase

8. Hardcore Match
Ultimate Warrior vs. John Cena

TOKYO Region

9. Embarrassment Match
Rick Martel vs. Chris Benoit

10. Object on a Pole Match
Ricky Steamboat vs. Antonio Inoki

11. Last Man Standing
Batista vs. Ric Flair

12. Ladder Match
Harley Race vs. Eddie Guerrero

MEXICO CITY Region

13. Dog Collar Match
Rick Rude vs. Chris Jericho

14. Street Fight
Tiger Mask I vs. Vader

15. First Pain
André The Giant vs. Rob Van Dam

16. Ultimate Submissions Match
Jake Roberts vs. Steve Austin

It was also announced in the LD for the draw that Round Four will also feature gimmick matches, the exception being that between the eight matches, four gimmicks will be drawn, so each gimmick will be used in two separate matches. Those gimmicks are:

- Hell in a Cell
- 3 Stages of Hell
- Iron Man Match
- TLC (pinfall or submission only)

14. First Pain
There is another name for this but it's 2am so I don't remember it. The idea here is that before you can attempt a pin or a submission, the opponent must be bleeding. In the words of Earl Hebner, a cut on the head is not bleeding. You must be wearing a crimson mask.

I am a little late getting around to this, but I belive the other name for this match is a "Sadistic Madness" match, as used in TNA back when they were still doing the weekly ppvs. Just to clarify , I am assuming that this is a No DQ, anything goes match, right?

Most One-Sided Stipulation Matches

Vader vs Tiger Mask, Street Fight. Just brutal. Poor flying cat.

Liger vs Foley, Pure Wrestling. Liger is going to wrestle a ring around the hardcore legend. Foley, athletically, cannot keep up.

Flair vs Batista, Last Man Standing. Flair's forehead is like a fat chick on her period, and Batista is a beast. Flair's dead in the water.

Most Intreguing Stipulation Matches

Sting vs Angle, I Quit. Ankle Lock vs Scorpion Death Lock? Has the makings of a decent match.

Steamboat vs Inoki, Object on a Pole. The match itself is facinating, I'd assume Inoki to be more resourceful, though Steamboat is more agile.

Most Useless Stipulation Matches

Hogan vs Undertaker, Voters Choice. Hogan didn't have a signature match (MAYBE steel cage, because that's all they had when he was on top) and 'Taker always lost his signature matches. Totally useless, probably won't effect voting.

El Santo vs HBK, 2 out of 3 falls. Michaels in his retirement year vs a Mexican wrestler? Even if Santo SHOULD win, the IWC darling will take 2 straight.

Flair vs Batista, Last Man Standing. Flair's forehead is like a fat chick on her period, and Batista is a beast. Flair's dead in the water.

People are really selling Flair short. This is a man who once made Vader submit inside of a steel cage. If he can beat Vader in a cage then I think he could find a way to pull out a win against Batista.

Fair point, but still. Being "the dirtiest player in the game" doesn't help when your opponent can get just as dirty and not be penalized for it.

Have to go with Batista in there too. If Flair breaks Dave's legs, Dave can use the ropes to get up. If Flair takes 5 Batista Bombs, he won't get up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back