General Wrestlezone Tournament Discussion.

When is round 2 supposed to start. I haven't been on the computer in a week and it still hasn't begun yet.

Alright, all of the sub-regions have been updated. Sly has a master list for the tournament for his brackets and our predictions, so we should be ready to go.

The delay between rounds 1 and 2 was we wanted to avoid Wrestlemania and the Draft, as we felt it would take away from tournament conversation, but those two have passed us by, and we're ready to start up.

So, Round 2 will begin this Friday. Check out any of the sub-regions for round 2 matchups if you wish, if not, be back here on Friday.

Quick question: For the third round, are you going to still be releasing matches sub-region by sub-region? Or, are you going to release them by region, or all at once? If so, when do you plan on making the ECW: San Antonio, Round Three, threads?

I'm probably going to shake things up just a bit, as it is becoming formulaic. When it gets into the next round, it will be by region, but I think for the third round, I'll mix it up a bit differently then the first two rounds.

Shawn Michaels has gone if im not mistaken!! A former champion bites the dust in round three by ONE vote.... and his numer one fan who did all his arguing didn't vote.

WWE: Madison Square Garden
Bret Hart vs. Harley Race: Dumpster Match
Mick Foley vs. The Ultimate Warrior 2/3 Falls
Kurt Angle vs. The Great Muta: Briefcase on a Pole Match
The Rock vs. Kane: Stretcher Match

WCW: Georgia Dome
Hulk Hogan vs. Davey Boy Smith: I Quit Match
Chris Benoit vs. Goldberg: For Whom the Bell tolls Cage Match
The Undertaker vs. Terry Funk: Last Man Standing
Sting vs. Eddie Guerrero: Pure Wrestling Match

ECW: ECW Arena
Steve Austin vs. Booker T: Irish Pub Brawl
Big Van Vader vs. Andre The Giant vs. Big Show: Ladder Match
Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Brock Lesnar: Regular Wrestling Match
Edge vs. Ricky Steamboat: Leather Strap/Four Corners Match.

TNA: Impact Zone
Randy Savage vs. Rob Van Dam: Ultimate Submission Match.
Triple H vs. AJ Styles: Dog Collar Match
Ric Flair vs. Bam Bam Bigelow: Sadistic Madness
Chris Jericho vs. Scott Steiner: Clockwork Orange House of Fun

These are the gimmick matches for the next round, that will start on Monday.

Flair is a goner.

All the other matches are bound to be good, and most could go either way, but this one isn't even close. I don't recall Bam Bam Bigelow bleeding, ever. I do know for a fact though, that it's pretty rare to find a big match where Ric Flair wasn't bleeding within 5 minutes. I'm sure he'll put up a fight, and avoid getting pinned for a while, but Bam Bam will split him open early, and focus on wearing him down for the pin.

WWE: Madison Square Garden
Bret Hart vs. Harley Race: Dumpster Match

This match doesn't really favor either guy. It's a toss up.

Mick Foley vs. The Ultimate Warrior 2/3 Falls

There isn't a way in hell that Foley can pin Warrior or make him submit twice. It just will not happen.

Kurt Angle vs. The Great Muta: Briefcase on a Pole Match

I mentioned in the Pittsburg Sub-Regional that Muta could win a ladder match. That applies here. Mist blinds Angle for 10-15 seconds and Muta has the case.

The Rock vs. Kane: Stretcher Match

It's not a First Blood, so Rocky should take it.

WCW: Georgia Dome
Hulk Hogan vs. Davey Boy Smith: I Quit Match

I can count the number of times that Hogan has submitted on one hand. There is no way that Davey Boy can make him quit.

Chris Benoit vs. Goldberg: For Whom the Bell tolls Cage Match

This is interesting. Benoit is obviously faster, but can he put away Goldberg long enough to ring the bell three times? I doubt it.

The Undertaker vs. Terry Funk: Last Man Standing

I'm torn on this one. Funker was a tough S.O.B. but... Taker doesn't lose these matches. He always sits up.

Stinger should go over here.

ECW: ECW Arena
Steve Austin vs. Booker T: Irish Pub Brawl

This is Austin's match.

Big Van Vader vs. Andre The Giant vs. Big Show: Ladder Match

Irish will make a case that Vader is fastest and has the clear advantage, but I don't think it matters. Any man can knock over the ladder with minimal effort and I don't think that Vader can keep the two giants down long enough to climb it. He may be fast for a 450 pound man, but he still climbs slow.

Poor Liger. Ladder was his only hope.

Edge vs. Ricky Steamboat: Leather Strap/Four Corners Match.

Edge wins. Ricky would be completely out of his element in a strap match.

TNA: Impact Zone
Randy Savage vs. Rob Van Dam: Ultimate Submission Match.

What a strange match for these two. Neither is known for submissions.

Triple H vs. AJ Styles: Dog Collar Match

Triple H is a better wrestler. The ring won't make a big difference at all in this match. Shame this wasn't Ultimate X.

Ric Flair vs. Bam Bam Bigelow: Sadistic Madness

Flair's out.

Chris Jericho vs. Scott Steiner: Clockwork Orange House of Fun

This match could go either way. Jericho is smarter. Steiner is the better athlete. It's basically a falls count anywhere match, but with a chain link wall and weapons readily available. I'm torn.

I don't remember Edge ever being in a strap match. Steamboat, however, was in NWA for a long time, where that match gained it's fame. I'm not saying that means he's been in one, but he's wrestled a style made for that match a lot longer than Edge has. I'm still voting Edge, because he can use some epic spears here, and because Ricky's finisher is gone in this match. It'll be great, but Edge gets the win.

I don't remember Edge ever being in a strap match. Steamboat, however, was in NWA for a long time, where that match gained it's fame. I'm not saying that means he's been in one, but he's wrestled a style made for that match a lot longer than Edge has. I'm still voting Edge, because he can use some epic spears here, and because Ricky's finisher is gone in this match. It'll be great, but Edge gets the win.

That's why I'm saying that he is out of his element. Ricky can't go up top. Edge is the brawler of the two, so him being close will only help. Edge is the type of guy to choke out the opponent with the strap. He can hit the spear at all times. There isn't a scenario in my mind where Steamboat wins.

Apologies if I seem uninformed/confused but could someone explain what the rules of these two matches? Does a Pure Wrestling Match have rules like ROH uses for their Pure Championship? Is a "Regular" wrestling match in the ECW arena regular for ECW -extreme rules- or "Regular" as in a standard Pro Wrestling match?

Apologies if I seem uninformed/confused but could someone explain what the rules of these two matches? Does a Pure Wrestling Match have rules like ROH uses for their Pure Championship? Is a "Regular" wrestling match in the ECW arena regular for ECW -extreme rules- or "Regular" as in a standard Pro Wrestling match?

The Pure Wrestling Match is like the one in ROH, 3 rope breaks the whole match, 20 count outside the ring, no closed fist. I guess it favors Eddie, but maybe not?

As for the other one, I think Shocky was still decided on whether or not it would be extreme rules, not sure if it matters either way.

Yeah, I don't see how Kurt Angle's going to get past Muta now. If it were some kind of gimmick match that still required a pin or a submission to win (e.g., Hell In A Cell), I could see Angle getting the win. But, in something like this, where strategy is involved, I don't see how Angle could outwit Muta.

Kurt Angle, the Olympic Gold Medalist, won't be able to beat a man famed for spraying mist in people's face because it's an on-a-pole match, which - obviously - requires some sort of freakish genius to strategise for.

Here's Muta's strategy:
1. Spray Mist
2. ???
3. Profit

The Pure Wrestling Match is like the one in ROH, 3 rope breaks the whole match, 20 count outside the ring, no closed fist. I guess it favors Eddie, but maybe not?

I'd say it favors Sting. Eddie, as a heel, will be using the ropes to break a lot of holds, and after his 3 are up, Sting can lock on the Scorpion Deathlock, and hold it until Eddie's knee is in shreds. Eddie would also be more inclined to use a closed fist, which would result in a DQ after a while. I'd say this just puts Sting over even more.

As for the other one, I think Shocky was still decided on whether or not it would be extreme rules, not sure if it matters either way.

I think it means no extreme rules, but I haven't seen anything saying exactly what it is yet.

There isn't a way in hell that Foley can pin Warrior or make him submit twice. It just will not happen.

But the match does favour Foley in some ways. Foley can take huge amounts of pain before staying down. And that's all Warrior's strategy, so it could come back to bite him... But I'll save the good debate material for the actual match.

It's not a First Blood, so Rocky should take it.

No chance Rocky takes this. We're talking about Kane, a man who has more power moves than inches of height. And you mentioned Undertaker sitting up lots, well Kane does it to y'know... But again, I'll keep my good material for the match

Just to let everyone know, we will get the show back on the road tomorrow afternoon with our first set of Round 5 matches. We are now down to the round of 16, which has ballooned to 18 with the Triple Threat matches, so it's all going to be tough from here. If there is a wrestler you want to get behind, make your opinion heard as well. Votes will be tough to come by in these rounds. If you pity vote someone, and that person comes back to win, only blame yourself.

As you all know, the gimmick rounds are coming to an end, and we now begin the final three round, King of the Ring style tournament, where all of the remaining matches would take place in one night. Typically the sight is the building that hosted Wrestlemania this year, so this will take place in Reliant Stadium.

All matches are conducted under basic WWE rules for the remainder of the tournament.

What we know for sure.

Bret Hart vs. The Rock:
Both men enter the Elite 8 of the tournament for the first time. Both men are clearly physically gifted enough to be able to run the gauntlet for the remainder of the tournament, but the question is, how much does a win in this match gas the wrestler? Hart is the technical god, while The Rock has possibly the most charisma ever in the sport. It's a too close to call match, with myself leaning with the Rock at this point, but Bret seems to be a man of destiny this year.

Chris Jericho vs. Rob Van Dam:
The shocker of the last round, RVD knocks out both Randy Savage and Triple H. RVD returns once again to the elite 8, while Chris Jericho makes his debut to this field of the tournament. The winner of this match will face the winner of the match above. Both men have tremendous conditioning, and are clearly capable of making it to the finals. RVD has beaten Jericho in a KotR setting before. My early favorite in this match is RVD.

The Unknowns (To an Extent)
In the WCW Region, one match is still to be determined. The Undertaker will be punching his way back into this round, as he has steam rolled the opposition to get to this point. He awaits the winner of Hulk Hogan vs. Chris Benoit.

Scenarios:
The Undertaker vs. Chris Benoit: As fine of a wrestler that Benoit is, this becomes the biggest squash in this round, and does the rest of the field no favors with an Undertaker that probably remains fresh after this match. Benoit is a damn dangerous man, but the Deadman, in my opinion, dominates him.

The Undertaker vs. Hulk Hogan: What goes from a squash match, to the potential match of the tournament right here. Prime Undertaker vs. Prime Hogan. The forums may not be big enough to hold this monster in. My gut says Hogan, but my Brain says the Undertaker wins this. However, I fully believe whomever wins is easy pickings in the next round.

Third Scenario: Undertaker vs. Hogan vs. Benoit.
This is the scenario in which I see Chris Benoit winning the match. The Undertaker and Hogan will leave it all out on the line, and a flying headbutt from out of nowhere might be enough for Benoit to sneak his way into the next round.

The Land of Extreme: Steve Austin looks to have stamped his way into this round, returning to the final 8. He'll face the winner of Lesnar and Edge, which both will be making their first appearance in this round.

Steve Austin vs. Brock Lesnar: While I believe I can make a viable argument that Lesnar goes over in this match, I highly doubt that willb e the outcome. This is a year of destiny for Steve Austin getting this draw. Lesnar is certainly capable of running the table with his conditioning, but Austin is a big challenge.

Steve Austin vs. Edge: Again, doesn't do Edge any favors here to face Austin. I think Will might be able to make a convincing argument for Edge, but in the end, the Rattlesnake wins this match.

The Third Scenario: Edge vs. Steve Austin vs. Brock Lesnar: If this match happens, then who else to pick besides Edge. This plays right into the Ultimate Opportunist hands. Chances are, he'll be lost in the shuffle of Lesnar and Austin pounding on each other, and the man will wait for his opportunity and take this match.

This is what we have to look forward to.

Looking at the scores right now, if it were to end tonight, there is something I notice straight off the bat.

The Japanese were pushed some say, too much in this tournament, but no Japanese Wrestler will make it to the final 8. The British were denied final 8 statues, and the Mexican's have been gone for a bit if I remember right.

So where are the 8 men represented from. As I know, this can change, but if the polls closed now, 4 of the men would be American. The Undertaker, Stone Cold, The Rock, and Rob Van Dam, all of which wrestled in the recent era for the WWE, three of which we wish would come back to the WWE.

Now for the other four. Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, and possible Edge and Chris Benoit. Well they are of course from that great nation of Canada. For a nation of 32 million, Canada has produced some great talent. So as it stands, Canada has a great chance to get their first WZ Tournament victory in the coming weeks!

Too bad Mexico boomed:doh:

Who are the final eight? I'll try to list them off the top of my head. Let's see if I've really been paying attention. The Rock, The Undertaker, Edge, Austin, Benoit... I'm stuck. Foley or Hart, I'm not sure which. I need two more. Hmm.

I'll have a look at the threads. Wait, no. TM's sig apparently reveals that Jericho and Hart are in, and that half the contestants left are Canadian. Interesting.

Rob Van Dam. He's the final guy. Fucking hell.

So, ECW final. Edge vs. Austin. Well, Austin, obviously. I think that's just common sense right there. No fucking way does prime Austin get beat by a cowardly, opportunistic heel. That notion is plain ridiculous.

WCW final. Undertaker vs. Chris Benoit. Again, the obvious (and doubtless correct) answer is The Undertaker. I'd have probably put The Great Khali over too. Such a shame.

WWE final. Bret Hart vs. The Rock. That's actually a very interesting prospect. The ultimate technician against a man that was more successful despite only having five moves. I'll back the great one.

TNA final. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho. Well, I guess Jericho. Only because RVD's shit, mind.

After looking at the final eight here, the only Canadian I'll be supporting is Jericho over RVD. RVD should not have in any way even made it past Triple H and Randy Savage last round. The greatness of those two must have split the common sense votes in half. Tragedy.

Other then that though, I'm All-American baby. Austin goes over Edge easily, Undertaker and Benoit is a lot tougher but I'm leaning towards 'Taker unless someone can sway me, same goes with Hart & the Rock.

Wow now that I look at it I might have to vote for two Canadians. Hart vs. Rock is a tough damn match.

So, ECW final. Edge vs. Austin. Well, Austin, obviously. I think that's just common sense right there. No fucking way does prime Austin get beat by a cowardly, opportunistic heel. That notion is plain ridiculous.

Well that's just common sens..

The_Rock.ashx

What the hell, Rock? Why are you interrupting?

[youtube]wk2bDiXDezI&feature=related[/youtube]

So, Rock, I guess what you're saying is as a heel who ran scared and was cocky, in 1997 & most of 1998 (during Austin's biggest rise) and even again in 2002, you beat him? But Sam said..

14690b2b.jpg

.. Oh, okay then. So The Rock, as a cocky, arrogant heel - who often took the cheapest, most opportunistic victories in 1997-1998, has defeated Steve Austin. But, but.. that's easily explainable, right Sam? He's American.. they know how to get shit don..

Undisputed-World-Champion-Chris-Jericho.jpg

Well what the hell? Chris Jericho, what are you doing here? I know you were the first-ever Undisputed Champion. Yes, yes I also know you claim to have defeated The Rock and Steve Austin, both, in the same night.. back to back even. You never shut up about it.. but, do you have a clip to back your claim up?

You do? Well play that bitch!

[youtube]PNIDaPBlJ_4&feature=related[/youtube]

Okay, okay so you defeated Austin in an opportunistic way.. but that doesn't prove you're cocky and arrogant, like Edge.. wait, what? You have another video that proves you are? No way...

[youtube]h-2G5zWusYY[/youtube]

TO BE CONTINUED - ON THE NEXT PAGE:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back