General Wrestlezone Tournament Discussion.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
This is the thread to come and speak about general topics of the tournament. Also it is a thread for those to report to me guys that I double upped in the tournament. With 256 wrestlers, and people giving me real names, and gimmick names, it's quite possible I'll double post a wrestler intot he tournament where I shouldn't. If you notice any, please let me know in here.

This is also the place to have non spammy discussion about the revelations of the seeds, and anything in particular you can think of.

WWE Region:
Hart, Angle, Rock and Foley.

As much as I've criticised Bret over the last few days, he has got the easiest passage possible through WWE. Foley is almost zero threat unless a gimmick match comes up. Angle/Rock I put on almost equal terms so I will have to go away and think about who to support if they meet, Rock was the bigger draw and more charismatic. But Angle has had better feuds and matches throughout his career, partly due to it been longer.

WCW Region:
Hogan, Undertaker, Sting, Cena

Wow this will be very diffcult, and it looks like Undertaker could well be going come early depending on who else is in this region. Hogan is definantly the favourite but Sting and Cena are two of the best it would be very difficult for me to vote either of them out, but if they draw Hogan then there is not much hope for them.

ECW Region:
Austin, Michaels, Edge, Vader

Austin is my favourite but not by much, Edge + Vader will be very dangerous in the ECW enviroment not to mention when it gets to Round 4 with the gimmick matches. Edge v Vader would be very difficult to call in a gimmick match. Then you have HBK who has made a career off taking monumental beatings from opponents. This will be the closest region in my opinion.

TNA Region:
Savage, Flair, Jericho, Triple H

Once again I see Savage going over the other 3 guys he just is better in almost every way, and when your as good an all-rounder as Savage is it's difficult to see much weakness. The other 3 all have advantages, Flair was a good wrestler but tarnished his career in various ways. Jericho/HHH is fairly even, HHH would probably get the ever so slight nod though.

It's going to be very interesting to see who the seeds draw early on. For example, say if Mick Foley draws Randy Orton in the early rounds, Orton vs Foley in a wrestling match has one winner, and it is not the guy with a sock stuffed down his crotch. Where will RVD, who beat Angle last year, fit in? Will someone like Santino be in and get given huge support from the members of his fan club? Will there be a cult hero style old timer who I haven't heard of that many of the old schoolers will back far? Will Cena/HHH haters be cruel enough to eliminate them early on? Can one of the favourites HBK survive in ECW?

I'm hooked on this already, and it doesn't seem close to getting started. Great job so far Shockmaster.

Based just on the 16 names that we've seen, it's impossible to say who's going to do what. There are so many other big names left out there that it's hard to say who's going where. Based on what I'm seeing so far, ECW is the most stacked region along with WCW. All of these matches are going to be fun as well as most of them being tough. We've got a long way to go, but if I had to make an early pick that's sure to go wrong, I'll go with Savage as the most likely to come out of here. Vader has Austin to deal with who is a big deal in ECW and can fight with the best of them. The other divisions are so stacked that it's hard to say. Savage would own TNA in my eyes.

I'm loving the way this is looking Shocky. Not only is there tons of discussion going on, but the wait between the seed announcements kills me.

I can't wait to see the brackets fill out completely, and see the potential matches. There's already some great showdowns lined up, and the debate should be great for the site.

:thumbsup:

I'm excited to see the rest of the seeds and who else made it. The first few rounds will just be squashes but there could be some surprising upsets a little early on which is what I'm hoping. I just hope HBK can maintain support and makes it top 16 at least.

Final 4 predictions are Savage, Hart, Austin, and Hogan. I think thoes 4 have the best chances due to their regions and seedings. Hogan might get taken out by Sting and Austin is replaceable as well.

How long until all the seeds are revealed? I like announcing each bracket a few days before because it allows time to process them and talk about them but I'm just wondering when to expect the actual battles to start?

Awesome tournament so far and it's barely even underway. I just wished I was around to watch most of these guys during their prime. Hence why I probably won't post much in the Tournament but I'll try me best.

Also, can anyone tell me whether or not we vote based on the prime or the current status of the wrestlers. Eg. Shawn Michaels (now) vs Bret Hart (now) or HBK (prime) vs Bret Hart (prime).

Overall, it looks to be a great tournament and the first one that I will actually participate in.

Reactions: NSL
Can anyone tell me whether or not we vote based on the prime or the current status of the wrestlers. Eg. Shawn Michaels (now) vs Bret Hart (now) or HBK (prime) vs Bret Hart (prime).

I've seen people say they're voting based on the wrestler's prime. That's a debate for itself, as no one agrees on when their prime was. I plan on voting based on overall career.

As an example: Sting is placed in a stacked WCW Region. Sometimes, the current/late-WCW Sting may be the guy that would win the match, as opposed to the early, more colorful Sting, and vice versa.

Basically, I don't know. :D

I've seen people say they're voting based on the wrestler's prime. That's a debate for itself, as no one agrees on when their prime was. I plan on voting based on overall career.

As an example: Sting is placed in a stacked WCW Region. Sometimes, the current/late-WCW Sting may be the guy that would win the match, as opposed to the early, more colorful Sting, and vice versa.

Basically, I don't know. :D

You've got to go with prime, or at least a high point of the career. Bret Hart now would lose to everybody, and a high proportion of the people in the tournament are dead.

If it was their current, or even just their last active state, current performers would rightfully dominate.

If it was their current, or even just their last active state, current performers would rightfully dominate.

Not necessarily. Sting, Kurt Angle, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels are all well past their prime, but would still do well.

How do you decide someone's prime? For HBK, was it with Diesel watching his back? Or, his run with DX? For Bret, was it as a member of the Hart Foundation, or his feud with Owen?

I have my answers, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees.

Why don't we just go with current state, regardless of current state? I wouldn't mind seeing Zombie wrestling, just for the record. I'm pretty psyched about this tourney, guys. It'll be my first one since joining WZ, so I'm gonna love seeing where this goes.

Arguments have always been based on a wrestlers prime. Otherwise this would be a silly exercise in which nobody would learn anything new about classic wrestlers. The best part about this tourney is that it is the best of all worlds - WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, Old School, and International Wrestling. To make it work, you really have to look at what a man brought to the table at their best.

Overall, you kinda determine your own criteria.

I have always tried to base my voting on wrestlers in their prime. But I do take into account overall career and, selfishly I must admit, I can be swayed by my own personal feelings on a wrestler. Example: RVD would get my vote even if his opponent was Jesus.

Anyway, the tournament is looking great so far and I anxiously await the revealing of the next group of seeds. I am also keeping my fingers crossed for the appearance of Bryan Danielson. Although, I have a feeling if his name pops up it will be one of those red names...;)

I have jsut finished with the top 128 wrestlers, so the top half of the field is finished. I will be updating individual region brackets throughout the day. The field will begin to be announced again on Friday this week as we get to the lower half. Feel free to discuss the top half of the tournament.

It sucks to see how close Tommy Dreamer and Sabu were from landing in ECW. Dreamer stands a better chance in WCW, than Sabu, but neither will go far. The luck of the draw is faring well for others though...

Like...

The New F'n Show Jerry Lynn! I wish I could see the look on Becca's face when he kills HBK in ECW. I don't think I can beat Will though...So, I'll have to take the moral victory...

Giant Baba got a good draw. I don't see Ric Flair standing much of a chance there...Too much size to overcome...

Very shortly I will begin with the bottom half of the bracket. However, as to spice it up a little bit, the bottom half will be done completely randomly. As opposed to doing #33-64 in order, numbers will be drawn randomly.

Now, we will begin to see first round matchups, and I will begin to make the individual matchup threads. Please remember,w e are several weeks away from the tourney actually beginning, and an appropriate forum will be set up to make it easy to find active matchups. However, for the first round I will post the matchups ast hey are announced so you can begin the debates if you like. Remember, you may voice your opinion as much as you want, but your vote doesn't count until the polls are open.

Also, a rule change around here has occured for the actual tournament. In the event of a tie in the tournament, a draw will occur, and neither man will move on. This is different in years past, as if this situation occured, it would move to a triple threat. However, I have never seen this done in actual wrestling. So if a draw occurs, their next round opponent will receive a bye. This excludes the final four and championship rounds, as those must have a winner.

Can't wait to see the bottom half get filled. I've been on WZ for awhile but I've never fully followed a tourney like I have this one thus far. Last years I checked it out off and on, same went for other tourneys. But this one has my full attention and I can't wait for it to get started. Pretty pumped!

[QUOTE="The Hardcore Legend" Christian Battlez;915105]So what are the rules of the 4th round. Whats with the spin the wheel make the deal thing?[/QUOTE]

It's a gimmick that originated in WCW at Halloween Havoc one year, and eventually was brought to the WWE and renamed Raw Roulette. 16 gimmick matches are determined by the staff, and then those gimmick matches are randomly handed out to the 16 matches that round. So if you have AJ Styles vs. Hulk Hogan (this happened in year one) Hogan should win. Oh wait, AJ Styles vs. Hulk Hogan is now a ladder match, AJ Styles pulls off the upset and moves on.

It's a round that a lot of people hate, but it opens the tournament up big time.

Also, a rule change around here has occured for the actual tournament. In the event of a tie in the tournament, a draw will occur, and neither man will move on. This is different in years past, as if this situation occured, it would move to a triple threat. However, I have never seen this done in actual wrestling. So if a draw occurs, their next round opponent will receive a bye. This excludes the final four and championship rounds, as those must have a winner.

There's already two matches that could end in draws, and it's amazing. Corino v. Awesome, and Kennedy v. Miz. They're in the same sub-region, and both in the bottom half. If these both end in a tie, Nash and Benoit (if/when) they win, would get byes, and face eachother in the sub-regions semi-finals.

It's fun watching how this is all falling in place, and it's been fun debating and doing research.

Can I ask a quick question? I have so far tried not getting involved if I don't know both wrestlers involved, or if it is someone such as Hogan or Cena (aka a high seed) briefly researching their opponent, and unless they've done something outstanding, voted for the top seed. However, I have read every arguement and am intrigued by every one. Is it passable to vote for the superstar whom a poster has made the best arguement for without knowing anything about them? I'd love to wikipedia and youtube every one, but coursework deadlines restrict the time I have?

If you aren't sure of a wrestler in particular, and someone makes a compelling case for that wrestler, then you should vote for whatever wrestler you feel is better. Now, if you feel a wrestler is better based on an argument someone makes for said wrestler, then vote. That's the entire point of debating and discussing these matches. It gets the old names and unfamiliar names out there.

Since the main WZ Tourney page is going to be crowded with polls here in the next day or so when we get a ton of active polls going, I'll sticky this for easier reference for those voting with a sense of urgency.

WWE Calgary and WCW Boston: Close 3/26
ECW Dallas: Close 3/27
TNA Charlotte: Close 3/28

Hey all,
This is the 1st tournament that I've viewed and it looks good fun. What I wanted to check is whether all the matches should be available to vote on at the same time?
Having looked at it there are lots of matches from all 4 zones who don't seem to have a poll yet and I wondered when they are to appear?

what happens here is that the match are open for five days. However, the first two days are for discussion only, so people have a chance to learn about who they may or may not vote for. Those threads stay in their sub sections. Once the polls are open to vote, the matches are moved to the main tournament room, and remain there until they are closed, and then they will be moved to another location and locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back