First Round: Lexington - Rhino vs. Rick Martel

Discussion in 'The Tokyo Region' started by klunderbunker, Apr 19, 2010.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Rhino

2. Rick Martel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

[​IMG]

Rhino

[​IMG]

Vs.

Rick Martel

[​IMG]

Voting is open for 4 days.

2. Scotty

Scotty I have a PHD in Horribleness

Rhino was big, strong, quick, and I believe he pulls out the win with the GORE GORE GORE! He is a powerhouse that has a good amount of speed. I believe the Model used the Boston Crab, but I think Rhino has to strong of a core and can escape it.

3. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

In many ways, you have guys with similar careers here. Both were fairly dominant in a small promotion, and neither really cut it when they got onto the big stage. That being said, Martel never really acheived anything in the big leagues, short of feuding with Tito Santana, whereas Rhino squashed a few people, and won a minor championship or two. I just don't think arrogance would ever really knock down a guy like Rhino, who has always been a bit of a beast, so I think Rhino goes through.

4. pun2003hh

pun2003hh BUILDING KICK!!! EXPLOSIONS!!!

Rick Martel is a bit of a blur in my eyes. A guy that always had that dreaded "potential" but never could bring that across to major success. Rhino on the other hand was THE reason to watch ECW in 2000. He legitimately looked like he just ripped his opponents in half, and his insane babbling was incredibly entertaining.

Rhino gets the win here.

5. GenMe

GenMe GenMe

Rhino is quick in the ring and he is also very strong, He was one of my favorite wrestler back in ECW, now he kind of just faded away in TNA. Martel was very good in most of his matches. Rhino will over power him and get the win in this match. My vote goes to the "War Machine" Rhyno.

6. rhino frightens me rick martel was ehhh not so much rhino hits you with the gore and your done out fanito he also has a sick spike piledriver that he sometimes does from the top rope rhino definitly beats martel

7. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

Martel deserves some credit, as he was a top guy in the AWA and nothing more than a low midcarder/tag team guy in the WWE. However he won't beat Rhino. Rhino is too big, too fast, and too strong for Martel. Arrogance could play an effect, but like Tasty said it probably won't stop a guy like Rhino. The War Machine hits a GORE (x3) and sends the Model packing.

8. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Rick Martel.

I'm a fan of Rhino, but his career has been completely underwhelming and he never lived up to his true potential (at least, not yet he hasn't).

You could argue that Martel didn't live up to his potential either, and I would actually agree with that assessment. However, the difference is that politics held Rick Martel down, while Rhino continuously fucked himself out of opportunities with the demons in his personal life.

And besides, when you look at both careers, hands down Rick Martel has the better body of work. Before going even making it to the WWF, he had a great career going for him in AWA. He even had some great matches in Japan. But when you take into account his run in WWE, it was fucking great. First of all, Strikeforce is one of the greatest tag teams in WWE history, in my opinion. And then once they broke up, Martel went on to have a very memorable run, with a great, great character that will be remembered forever.

Now, of course in a kayfabe match Rhino would kill Martel. I'm not that stupid to argue otherwise, but that's not enough to convince me that Rhino should advance over someone like Martel. Martel hands down has had the better, more memorable career, and he deserves to advance in this tournament over someone like Rhino.

9. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

I mostly came into here trying to remember if JMT liked Strike Force or not, or if he was gonig to do the JMT thing and vote against Canada. But either the first is true, or he really doesn't like Rhino. Probably the second, because no one likes Rhino, Rhyno, Ryeno, or whatever you would like to call him, he wasn't that cool.

I vote Martel, he was one of the most exciting guys when I was a kid, however, that was during his midcard feud, and I still enjoyed it more than TNA/WWE/ECW Rhyno/Rhino/Rhuno.

10. ZeroVX

ZeroVX 2-Time WZCW Mayhem Champion

How anyone could vote against Rhino just astonishes me. Both of these guys held world titles in relatively small companies, but Martel's title win was largely underwhelming. No one really bought him as a legitimate world champion, and correctly realized that he was just holding the title for someone else. Rhino, on the other hand, was a dominant champion in ECW's dying days, and actually held the World title and Television title at the same time. His promo skills are highly underrated, and his in-ring abilities are much better than people give him credit for. Plus, he just looks intimidating. Even without saying anything, he looks like a guy who would kick your ass and love doing it. Rhino wins easily here.

11. FromTheSouth

FromTheSouth You don't want it with me.

So, according to Zero, we should vote for Rhyino because he was the champion that killed ECW? He was the champion of that company after most of the top guys had already left or were too hurt to be effective. Martel was champion in AWA when it still meant something, and he beat Jumbo fucking Tsuruta to win it. He and Santana beat the fucking Hart Foundation for the tag belts. He has huge wins.

Martel was one of the best tag team wrestlers of all time. He and Tito Santana formed Strike Force, which was the pre-Rockers....except they won titles. As a singles competitor, Martel and Santana had a four year feud that saw both of them beat many other considerable guys of that era. Martel often gets overshadowed by Santana, but had quite a caree, defeating the likes of Jake Roberts and wrestling HBK to a no contest.

Rhyino beat up Spike Dudley a lot.

12. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Rick Martel should win this. Martel has the skills needed to offset any power and speed Rhyno has. Despite the power disadvantage, Martel would exploit the aggressive nature of Rhyno and capitalize for a win.

And to be honest, Rhyno is very one dimensional as far his moves go. All power and speed and not much else. Not in control of himself and can easily fall into the category of the Warlord.

Rick Martel in a win here.

13. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Deadly Rap Cannibal

Everyone going against Rhyno keeps talking about him being the ECW champ in its dying days like that was the only thing he ever did. He had a solid run in the WWE and an even better one in TNA. He has defeated the likes of Kane, Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, and Big Show in the WWE. He also held the NWA title in TNA beating Jeff Jarrett for the title at Bound for Glory in 2005.

I'm not saying Martel shouldn't win because he had a tremendous career and deserves to move on as well, but this isn't as big of a travesty as some of you are making it out to be.

14. TLC

TLC Yeah, bitch! Magnets!

I gotta give my vote to Rhino. Rhino had a pretty good career with which ever company he's been in, be it TNA, WWF or ECW. He still did reasonably well in each company and beat some good superstars. I'm not saying Martel didn't which ofcourse he did. In this match I see Rhyno picking up the win and moving on.

15. Muffin Top Merkley

Muffin Top Merkley Be a man!

Really? Rhino's had a good run in the WWE and TNA?

Are you watching Rhino win the NWA match over and over and over again, because he has been anything but good in TNA and he never really gained a lot of success in the WWE.

I now understand people's frustration when a person advances solely because of name value in today's wrestling market.

Martel was a successful singles wrestler as well as a tag-team wrestler who has the 3rd longest AWA World Heavyweight Championship reign by holding it for 595 days.

Rhino held the ECW World Heavyweight Championship for 93 days when all of ECW's bigger names had already jumped off of the sinking ship.

16. Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Mantaur Rodeo Clown X-Pac Rules

I'm voting for Rhyno simply because he was an intensely crazy son of a bitch. Some of the promos he did in ECW, where he threatened to rip off heads and shit down necks were amazing. Let's not forget Rhyno did claim gold, not only in ECW but also in WWE and TNA.

Martel was good, but I only really saw his appeal in Strike Force, and this is a singles tournament, no?

17. Muffin Top Merkley

Muffin Top Merkley Be a man!

Really? His 595 day reign as AWA Heavyweight Champion does nothing for you?

Him being ranked #48 of the 500 best singles wrestlers during the "PWI Years" in 2003 means nothing to you compared to Rhino.

18. Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra Kinda Sorta Old School

I voted against Rhyno more than I voted for Martel. Rhyno never did it for me and never came of to me as a champion, he had little to no charisma and the gore is just a tackle really, football players get right up after tackles so I don't see why a wrestler wouldn't.

19. Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Mantaur Rodeo Clown X-Pac Rules

Rhyno was ranked #10 in 2001.

20. ZeroVX

ZeroVX 2-Time WZCW Mayhem Champion

Oh that is a bullshit statement and you know it. ECW was already dying when Rhino came along. If anything, he helped keep ECW going longer than people expected. Plus, he was given the NWA title back in TNA's infancy. I'd like to think that means something.

Martel's title reign was long, and dull. People could not buy him as a champion, and AWA didn't improve in terms of attendance at all.

21. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

It's absolute HORSESHIT to even think or believe that Rhino belongs even in the same world as a primed Rick Martel. Easily one of my favorite WWE midcarders of all time, and like a few intelligent posters have already pointed out (ahem... FTS!!... ahem), Martel was a former AWA champion... a championship that urinates on the ECW championship.

Rhino has been an abysmic failure in every promotion he's touched. The guy is nothing but a big-legged mope with a bullshit finisher that was made more powerful because of the way that the commentators used to announce it. Besides the "all-powerful Gore", Rhino has little to no moveset, ZERO charisma, and barely any reputable success in pro-wrestling.

Rick Martel, on the other hand, was an extremely strong competitor in the AWA, a former AWA champion that defeated RIC FLAIR in his prime on many occasions in the AWA, part of many successful tag teams in the WWF(E), was a three-time WWF(E) tag champion, and a WCW Television champion. Hell, just Martel's stint as The Model was enough to trample Rhino's failure of a career.

Guys, don't vote for Rhino just because you've heard more about him. He's CLEARLY the worse competitor here. Be smart and vote for RICK MARTEL.

The Brain and JGlass like this.
  22. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

I really can't say anything D-Man hasn't but I figured I might as well try.

I don't like Rhino against Rick Martel. I think Martel is too smart for Rhino, and I think he's too resilient for Rhino.

To be honest, I don't know if Martel has faced any competitors that have the combination of speed and power the Rhino has, but he's definitely faced guys who are just as powerful and beat them.

Furthermore, he's beat plenty of wrestlers who are just flat out better than Rhino. Tito Santana, Jake Roberts, Booker T, and Mr. Perfect. I don't think Rhino holds a candle to any of those guys.

Rhino is a very specific kind of wrestler, and he does best when there is an opportunity for him to just run wild through the ring and maul everything in site. Martel is too smart to be beaten by this high risk style of Rhino's. He'll make sure he keeps the match at his pace, pick apart Rhino, and get the victory after Rhino has exhausted himself trying to gore Martel every chance he gets.

23. DirtyJosé

DirtyJosé Best angle of all: retirement

Credit to D-Man for dropping some Martel knowledge, but to echo BlueCardinal87 here, mine is vote more against Rhyno than it is for Martel. I remember the early buzz about Rhyno. And I remember being disappointed when I finally got to see him work. Mind you, I must have been like 15, 16...maybe 17...so to disappoint my expectations then you had to be some kind of monster suck. Boy was he suck. Corny looks, corny "alt" name, the spear (which I was learning then was not quite as impressive when 33% of the roster does it) as a finisher, and ZERO charisma beyond the "grrr, monster man" appeal. I can buy monster characters, but Rhyno never gave me a reason to. Great mid carder, used in proper (small) doses. The best thing Edge has done is borrow from the gimmick of Rhyno and pepper it with personality; something Rhyno was never able to do.

Plus, I like the idea of helping put a model over a rhino. Martel for the win here.

24. Dr. Stinger A. Zoidberg

Dr. Stinger A. Zoidberg Stay in school and don't litter.

Rhino

I think it was jmt who said that Martel had a great career in the AWA before joining the WWF. Well, you have to remember, in Martel's time, there was the AWA, NWA, Stampede Wrestling, PNW, and many others. In his prime, there were only 3 promotions for Rhyno to work in. WWF, WCW, and ECW. So I think Rhyno wins here because he's done more with so little. While Martel was able to make a name for himself before coming to WWF in all these different promotions, Rhyno pretty much stuck to WCW and WWF.

25. FromTheSouth

FromTheSouth You don't want it with me.

I think you misunderstand. In Marte's AWA time there was only three prmotions that mattered too. NWA, AWA, and WWWF. The other regionals did OK, but those three really mattered. Stampede was big, but only the three really gathered much attention past their own regions. Like I said, Rick Martel beat Jumbo Tsuruta for his title, Rhyno beat who? Rhynoo thrived in a barren ECW and besides one brief run with a dying belt, and another run with an already dead belt do not equal 595 days as a champion of a major promotion. Remember, ESPN Classic shows AWA, not ECW. There is more cultural signifigance in Martel's reign. You can argue that ECW at its biggiest point was bigger than AWA. I disagree, but you can make the argument, but at the time they held their titles, AWA was so intriguing that rather than going up against it, Vince Sr. bought all of their talent, from Martel to HBK. Vince bought RVD, one world champion from ECW, whereas Hogan and HBK and even Sheik came from AWA. That's a dozen world titles. AWA was the superior promotion, making Martel the superior champion, making Martel the superior wrestler. He beat Jumbo fucking Tsuruta.

D-Man likes this.