First Round: Denver - Shane Douglas vs. El Santo

Discussion in 'The Chicago Region' started by klunderbunker, Apr 21, 2010.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Shane Douglas

2. El Santo

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round matchup in the Denver Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

[​IMG]

Shane Douglas

[​IMG]

Vs.

El Santo

[​IMG]

Voting is open for 4 days.

2. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

If you don't know who El Santo is, please read this before voting:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showpost.php?p=1134153&postcount=1

In short, Santo absolutely has to win this match. Douglas was a man who was a big deal in ECW because he was talented enough to work for a bigger company but too much of a dick to keep a job anywhere. He dominated that promotion, but he floundered everywhere he wrestled outside of Philadelphia, and Denver isn't in Philadelphia.

Santo is one of the biggest names in the history of wrestling, and even had some minor successes outside of his comfort zone in the USA, so please don't let location be a factor. Santo is a better wrestler and a bigger deal than Douglas, and he deserves to go through.

3. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

I could just see the gears spinning in Tasty's head the second I saw this thread posted and who Santo was facing. As usual, he's right. Even as a Shane Douglas fan I can't justify a vote for him over El Santo, who beat pretty much everyone on the globe in resounding fashion during his heyday. He may not have exactly been a technical god in the ring, but like Hogan did in the States after him, he could work a crowd better than just about anyone alive. Santo has dueled with the best of them and beaten them. What the fuck has Shane Douglas done? Throw down the NWA title when it was already irrelevant? I've always liked the Franchise, but he just flat out loses this match every which way and he loses it without much effort on behalf of Santo. I'd give Shane about 8 or so minutes before he's put away.

4. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

I learned a lot about El Santo through last years tournament and I learned about how much of a legend the guy really is. He has to go over Douglas here and he will have my vote. The guy is just a hero in Mexico and he has the ability to wrestle with the best. While Shane Douglas is pretty good, he is no El Santo.

5. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

I learned about El Santo when I was eating at a Mexican restaurant, and there was a movie playing in which El Santo and his friends had to fight vampires.

Vote for Santo because he has defeated many talented wrestlers, as well as zombies, the king of crime, the ghost of the strangler, the martian invasion, and numerous other all powerful entities.

X likes this.
  6. GenMe

GenMe GenMe

Shane is more of an extreme hardcore wrestler, El Santos is more of a technical wrestler, And that's what I love from El Santo. Santos is also a mexican wrestling Legend he is just very good in side the ring. My vote here will go for El Santo.

7. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

You know, I'm glad your voting for El Santo, but you seem to be misinformed about El Santo. He was not in any way a technical wrestler, at all. Everyone knew that Gory Guerrero was the talented technical wrestler in the infamous Guerrero-Santo tag team, but Santo was the star. His best comparison is probably to a lighter Hulk Hogan with some basic lucha style thrown in. I mean, I support your vote for Santo, but you should vote for him for the right reasons, and claiming he was a technical master is not one of those.

8. Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Mantaur Rodeo Clown X-Pac Rules

I simply cannot vote against El Santo here, especially having Tasty's post lingering in my mind since I first read it last year. I've been waiting all this time to finally see the Mexican Hogan trounce someone, and considering I'm not a fan of Douglas, this worked out pretty well.

El Santo is literally a god in Mexico if I'm not mistaken, and could probably have had someone killed if he asked a ravenous fan to do so. His influence on Mexican wrestling was absolutely massive, and compared to the "throwing down" of Eastern Championship Wrestlings title, well, it's not quite a fair comparison at all. El Santo has beaten everyone there was to beat, whereas Douglas, well, hasn't.

9. Big Nick Dudley

I'm not going to pretend to be a huge El Santo fan, but I am familiar with how much success he had in Mexico. He was their biggest name down there, much more so a legend than Shane Douglas has ever been. Douglas was a big fish in a small pond in ECW, but did nothing outside of there. I've never been a Douglas fan, and I cannot vote for him here. El Santo all the way.

10. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Shane Douglas, to me, is one of the most overrated neverwases in the history of nevewasdom. I've listened to people ramble on and on and on about how much of a god this guy was and I have NEVER, not EVER remotely seen anything out of him that backs up even a tenth of the hype that he sometimes gets. I'll give him his props on the mic, he was pretty good on the stick. However, in the ring, he was average at best. He could have potentially been a huge star if he didn't feel that WCW or WWE owed him something.

I've heard of El Santo referred to as one of the greatest legends in all of Mexican sports. Like Mil Mascaras, this guy is about as close to a god as a mortal man can get in Mexico. I don't generally like to vote for someone just because he happens to be a legend. However, against an overrated turd like Shane Douglas, I think I'll make an exception in this case.

11. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

Shane Douglas, ha. Other than the ECW marks, not sure anybody really gives a damn about him. I certainly don't. I may not be completely educated on Santo, but I know a little bit about him. A guy who basically is Mexican wrestling goes over a guy who had nothing more than a moderate impact on American wrestling.

12. DirtyJosé

DirtyJosé Best angle of all: retirement

For some reason, I've always wanted to like Shane Douglas. During his ECW run, I kept thinking he'd be picked up by one of the other two and really made to shine. During his WCW, I thought maybe he'd finally get over that hill into greatness. In a stretch at the indies (including XPW), I thought maybe FINALLY this would be where Douglas could turn things around. Each and every time I was disappointed because Douglas just could never compete at the top level.

"Well, Creative never gave him enough support" - Then he should learn to not burn all his bridges before their built, just like in real life. The guy pissed off enough of the wrong people in his life time that his only relevance these days is putting on ECW unofficial reunion shows and jobbing on TNA for TV time.

Santo on the other hand is a Mexican hero. My own knowledge of him was enhanced by Tasty's epic profile from the first post; READ IT!

El Santo for the win!