Finals - Freddy Krueger vs Michael Meyers

• Freddy Krueger

• Michael Myers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

The finals have arrived! 14 other slashers have fallen, from evil clowns to skin-wearking cannibals, from disgruntled campers to dolls with the soul of a serial killer. But in the end, two of the all-time greats remain standing, and will now do battle ina TRUE contrast of styles.

freddy.jpg

Freddy Krueger

After a VERY close, hard fought 22-20 victory over slasher rival Jason Voorhees, the Springwood Ripper remains. Armed with a glove with knives in place of fingers and the unique ability to haunt and kill people in their dreams, Freddy is known for the style and macabre with which he murders his victims, not the count. In fact, with 8 films to his credit (tied for 2nd most of any slasher on this list with - you guessed it - Michael Myers), Freddy has a scant 42 kills. That's 5.25 per film. He also gets credit for killing a pre-21 Jump Street Johnny Depp.

In addition to the kills and the awesome backstory, Freddy has bands like Dokken and Queen's Brian May providing his film music. That's worth a few points right there.

[youtube]529_n7n2QWY&feature=related[/youtube]

Check out this badass tribute video:

[youtube]EeNH2quPxl4[/youtube]

Michael-Myers2007.jpg

Michael Myers

It all started with a spray painted Shatner mask, and it became one of the three most prolific serial slashers of all time. As opposed to Freddy, Michael was able to dispatch his semi-finals opponent, TCM's Leatherface, with relative ease. I guess cross-dressing, chainsaw weilding cannibals just aren't in the class of "the strong, silent type." Michael, of Halloween fame, also is credited with 8 films (1-6, H20, Resurrection) and I don't count remakes.

Myers has a body count of 68, including Resuurection. He scored 15 in the first two films alone, and has a per-film-average of 8.5 - well above Freddy's tally. Michael was not known for his killing style - but his brutality and singleness of purpose was impressive. Due to the storyline that the "Thorn" curse only made him desire to kill those in his family, those who got in his way, and those who entered his house - Michael stayed pretty close to home in accomplishing these feats. It bears mentioning - many of Michaels kills were off-screen, and were dead bodies found (usually by Dr. Loomis) en route to Haddonfield.

Michael didn't score Brian May or Dokken, but the 6th film did get the AWESOME 90's song "And Fools Shine On" by Brother Cain.

[youtube]-n_hZD8Io9Y[/youtube]

And OF COURSE, the creepy John Carpenter piano music.

Anyway you "slice it," these finals will be a "cut" above the rest. Sorry for the cheesy crypt-keeper humor there...but here's something for fun:

[youtube]ZmeTx9hjYV0[/youtube]

Voting ends...Halloween Night...

I'm leaning towards Micheal Myers on this one. Krueger is bad ass, no doubt, but the fact that Myers is a human being that made it this far is impressive. He has survived more then most Human beings could possibly even imagine, and he still goes on killing people. No to mention the guy is freaking HUGE!

Michaels Myers gets my vote. Yeah Baby Yeah!

(100 posts FTFW!)

Very well then. The times has come, and I need put my best to help THE SHAPE earns the spot he deserves.

Let's start breaking down the facts according the tournament criteria:

1. Body count
    68 vs 42. I think it's pretty clear who's the "better man" here. There are no advantages: both guys have 8 movies and Michael wins this department with ease.
    Point: Michael Myers.

2. longevity
    Again, Michael. He started to scare the crap out of people since 1978, 6 years earlier than his competitor. Freddy has appeared more frequently (without many big time gaps like Michael, with two 6 years and one 4 years time gaps; Freddy's biggest gap being 9 years between New Nightmare and Freddy vs Jason) but has been on a slump, due mainly to lack of interest from the big studios. After New Nightmare, which, IMO, sucked pretty bad, I don't blame them.
    (Michael Bay is apparently in charge of "repackaging" poor Freddy though...)

Point: Michael Myers

3. Creativity
    Mhmm, though one here. People probably will go with Freddy because all of those flashy, sometimes even funny killings, but don't let that facts fool you. Michael had dispatched his victims using a wide array of weapons, including but not limited to: a HUGE butcher knife, a hand axe, a rifle(and he didn't fired it because he is concerned of the environment, lol :D), a scythe, a baseball bat, a garden fork, a camera tripod... Mike shows that he's still creative even after being locked for years at Smith's Grove.

Another important fact is Michael great intelligence. He was able to break into whatever house he wanted, and one of my favorites aspects, he avoided death in such intelligent ways (escaping trough an old mine shaft while being dynamited, then taking advantage of the poor hermit just to kill the poor bastard after he is fully healed and ready to roll; or when he avoided to be decapitated by his little sister by switching places with a paramedic just before being carried in the van)
    The Shape, besides being a murderous artist, is an escapist artist as well.

Point: Michael Myers. He has proved to be more resourceful without the need of ubber-natural forces (ex. demonic rituals) also beating the odds (death) in ways that fucking David Blaine can only dream of.

4. Back Story
    I can't deny that Freddy's back story is one hell of a story! His mom (a Nun) being raped by a hundred maniacs then becoming a child murderer, just to end being lynched by an irate mob of parents. Pretty cool and twisted.

Michael back story isn't fully revealed until Rob Zombie's GREAT remake (and some details revealed in the 6th movie). Myers story is very similar to Freddy's: both living with dysfunctional families, both liked to torture animals, both victims of school bullies...but the main difference resides in the ultimate decision made by both men: Freddy succumbing to the dream demons offer of "eternal life" and Michael succumbing just to his insatiable desire of killing.

While Freddy's insane ways are pretty much demonic-driven, Mike's rage is pure, unadulterated evil (debatable at some point in the 6th movie) mainly caused by a repressed sexuality and a out of control fetish of torturing animals. The story behind Thorn (not the crappy wrestler, lol) just strengthened the fact that we already known: Mike was going to kill them all, with or without rune curses.

Mike's background beats Freddy's first because he started at the young age of 6, making the situation even more disturbing: a seemingly "normal" kid who snaps and brutally kills his sister. Freddy was old enough to know what he was doing and choosing.

Point: Divided. Freddy origins saved his scared ass in here. Try to picture a Nun locked inside a mental asylum with a 100 maniacs and then being raped 100s of times, that's sick (even if the nun was stupid for being there in the first place ;) But what perturbs me most is an innocent child who trap himself 15 years inside his masks and then kills whoever steps in his way. Ultimately, not even the heroin saved her ass.

5. Style
    Fantasy vs Real life. While being a kid, all supernatural events showed on TV used to scare the fuck out of me, name it Giant spiders in creepy clown suits, revengeful creepy spirits coming out of the TV, a ravaging horde of living dead people wreaking havoc in a shopping mall, a possessed girl who twisted her head 360 degrees while inserting a crucifix into her vagina, repeatedly...(you get the idea, right?)

But then, all came to terms. While I still enjoyed violence on TV (almost all of my favorite movies or TV shows were and still are violent in a degree) I realized one day that the walking-satanic-talking doll wasn't real. So that change my perspective and standards: extremely fictitious horror wasn't that that great anymore. It was very cool, but not as much as the REAL THING.

Freddy was very, very innovative while killing his victims (that's why I divided the creativity point). But let me tell you something, there was one moment that blew it up, very bad: What in the fucking world makes you think that a eleven years old kid will be scared to see Freddy killing a guy with a FUCKING NINTENDO POWER GLOVE????? REALLY?? A NINTENDO POWER GLOVE?!!?

Mike's style in the other hand, is very associated to something that can happen in real life. What stops a maniac killer to kill you with a FUCKING HUGE butcher knife? or an axe? or with his bare hands?

As a horror aficionado I enjoy watching gory, fantasy horror movies with killings just too crazy to describe them. But the elegance and mystery involved in a basic, knife related murder is what keeps my ass glued to the chair. Sometimes I like to think that I'm living that situation, and believe me, nothing would be more scary that a obscure, silent, relentless killer watching you outside of your window...

Point: Michael Myers (Though I love Freddy's fedora, I think it's really cool!)

6. Performance
    Michael, Michael, Michael. It's all about an unstoppable killing machine. Trying to lock him down? he is going to escape and kill your ass if you dare to try that; trying to shoot him? fuck that, let the poor hermit guy take care of your wounds, or better yet, let a federal hospital take care of you and then smoke their sorry, wimpy asses.

Michael Myers is like The Undertaker: burn him, bury him, throw him down, do whatever you want; he will always come back and finish his victims.

Freddy performance is very respectable as well: he turned people dreams into a deadly reality for years. But in the end, the fear was almost gone and let me remind you that both Nancy Thompson and Maggie Burroughs killed Freddy.

Both Mike and Freddy accomplished their goals ultimately: killing the heroines of the story (Laurie Strode and Nancy Thompson), a feature that leaves us fans thinking what is left for both. But I know what is left for Freddy: his severed head under Jason's hand. Oops.

Point: Michael Myers. Honorable diploma for Freddy though.

7. Brutality
    Maybe this could be a stronger spot for Freddy. He enjoyed to torture his victims to the extreme and that fits perfectly with the very meaning of brutality.
    Michael was very brutal as well. He didn't care about little children, hot teenagers, stupid cops or old farts. He wanted to kill and leave nothing but lifeless bodies behind. Though Freddy could be more recognized by his out of this world methods, so...

Point: Freddy Krueger.

8. Bonus Round!
    -There is a 5 million dollar difference in total box office earnings (after adjusted inflation) with Freddy slightly ahead, but remember that his last movie wasn't a "Nightmare" sequel, instead, he got help from Jason (a big help i would say, being the highest grossing movie of the series) but the movie still sucked balls. Even "The Season of the Witch" entertained me more than this piece of crap movie. I know that this doesn't have effect on who's the best slasher, but it was a bonus nonetheless :D

All in all, Freddy is a GREAT horror icon, along with Jason and Michael. I tried to stick with the criteria of the tournament and I apologize if i went too long. But in the end, I think Michael Myers is THE BEST SLASHER of the genre; he epitomize evil in its purest form, not to mention that his image is synonym of the concept "slashing people to death". And again, I would rather to see Jason in the final showdown, but I guess Freddy is here for a reason. a Reason not strong enough to beat THE SHAPE, though.

LONG LIVE MICHAEL MYERS, BITCHES.

halloween1978youngmichase4.jpg

"Was it the boogyman?"

^^
| |
v v

"As a matter of fact, it was."

Jason Voorhees lost to Freddy Krueger?

WHAT?

Okay, I'm over it. But I still did not see that coming. Welly well, let's see here. We have Freddy Krueger, a wise-cracking burn victim with a red/green christmas sweater who kills people in their dreams versus Michael Myers, the only thing with William Shatner's face on it that doesn't suck. What is one to pick here? Let's break it down.

Freddy Krueger. Notorious child murderer and cracker of wise. I don't really know why, but in the first film, he didn't really appear that much and I never imagined he'd turn into what he would in the sequels. In fact, too much screen time was allotted to the female protagonist with the beaver teeth and that other guy who threatens people with knives while being a complete asshole, but for some reason beaver girl still wants to save. No, I didn't like the original Elm Street all that much. It struggled with the pacing and lacked the intensity and horror factor needed to create a good film in that genre, at least in my opinion.

Elm Street is one of those few exceptions in film where the sequels far surpass the original. In fact, until part 5, all the films were better than the last one for me. Freddy Krueger didn't really become a great character until the latter films. He's a goddamn icon of horror, no doubt, but the first film did not impress me at all.

Freddy can enter your dreams and transform himself into any shape he wants to while in the dream. That's something you can't beat easily. But Freddy's biggest problem is his ego and showmanship, which distracts him from killing his prey at times, eventually costing him.

Halloween on the other hand, as I've remarked many times before is one of the only films that have scared me and still does. A silent killer who stalks his prey without making a sound. Almost ninja-ish. Michael Myers is a damn master of striking fear into his opponents before he kills them. There aren't many who can stand up to him, and the bastard never dies. He's so cold and calculating that he could probably find more than one way to beat Freddy, even if he were in Freddy's dream domain. Michaels Myers doesn't take guff, and he'd beat Freddy easily in my opinion if they were to fight. In fact, I'm not even gonna extrapolate anymore, like I did with Freddy.

In my opinion, Michael Myers wins this thing. He's the ultimate horror villain that isn't Jason. Freddy can use all his fancy dream tricks, but Michael Myers could easily find some way to stop Freddy Krueger.

I liked this tournament although I missed some of the earlier rounds. Are you gonna do one for christmas films or something? >.> thanks for the fun.

Correct me if I am wrong. But Michael Myers is still alive in all of the originals.

That being said, he must fall asleep. Which in turns lets him dream, and then he gets fucked over by Freddy. Case in point. Being an evil/dead son of a bitch is a lot greater than being an evil/alive son of a bitch. Meaning you can alter perception and reality. Which Freddy likes to do quite frequently. You can kill Michael Myers. You can't kill Freddy, he's already dead. But he CAN kill YOU. Easy pick really.

Freddy FTW.

I'm going with Freddy. These two were my personal favorites so it's awesome to see both make it. Anyway's Freddy is a deranged, killing machines. He kills people in their dreams where most have no chance. He also has the better "look" and he is just more devasting than Myers. I love both but Freddy will get you nobody has fast you run.

Krueger is awesome. I am not going to spend this post knocking one of the slasher genre's greatest icons.

But...

Michael Myers should win this match, and take the 2008 Slasher Crown. He is the GREATEST slasher film villain of all time.

Let me put one this straight - this is NOT a question of who would win in a shoot fight. It's a question of who the greatest slasher in film history is.

Body Count

Even with his multi-kill rampage in the swimming pool scene of the 2nd film, Freddy still is 20+ body bags below Michael Myers. And that's with Michael targeting ONLY his family and those who inhabited his home. 68 murders in 8 films is DAMN impressive.

Freddy's Weakness

Part of Freddy's allure is his ability to haunt people in their dreams and murder them. All well and good - but it's been proven he has weaknesses. Caffeine pills, Dream techniques, etc. Plus, when he is pulled into the real world, he's weakened. He NEEDS his home-field advantage to succeed.

Michael, on the other hand, has no such weakness. He is rage incarnate. He is a walking druidic curse, seeking to murder his family. He is a white, expressionless face with a hand clutching a large butcher knife. He stalks quietly, hides in the shadows, and strikes.

Silent But Violent

One thing I always liked about Michael Myers, as well as Jason, was the silence. The quiet killer. Whether unable to speak or simply unwilling, the terror needed no dialouge. Freddy seemed unable to accomplish anything without cliches and taunts. Why is that? Freddy's strength is derived from the fear of those he haunts. Without that, he is nothing. Well, without fear, Michael - is still a ridiculous slasher villain.

The Human Factor

Leatherface went over Chucky a few rounds back by being more "realistic." Tell me - a psycho family killer escaping a mental institution or a dream demon - which is more chillingly possible? Plus, Michael has shown that he's not dead under his rage. He is pure evil, but he's not out of touch with the fact that he's human. He willingly unmasked when he showed a moment of emotion with nis neice Jamie. Then, once that was distracted, he was in his rage again. Classic moment. Freddy had no such moment.

Freddy is cool, folks, but he's a bit of a novelty. You can't vote a slasher champion based on if they are "cool," and especially not if they are "funny." Vote for Michael Myers, because he is simply the BEST.

One main weakness I see in Myers, is that with him you could get on a plane and fly to some remote island and he wouldn't be able to find you. You can at least run away from him, whereas Freddy, you eventually have to sleep. No matter what you take people sleep and people tend to sleep alot, so Freddy could be there everytime. Myers on the other hand I can't see him smart enough to find you in some remote island let alone being able to fly there.

One main weakness I see in Myers, is that with him you could get on a plane and fly to some remote island and he wouldn't be able to find you. You can at least run away from him, whereas Freddy, you eventually have to sleep. No matter what you take people sleep and people tend to sleep alot, so Freddy could be there everytime. Myers on the other hand I can't see him smart enough to find you in some remote island let alone being able to fly there.

Yeah? And you cannot simply "wake up" to get away from Michael Myers. He keeps coming, and coming, and coming - he is relentless and will never stop stalking until his rage is ended and the curse is lifted.

Myers > Kreuger

Kueger won't stop either. You can "wake up" but you have to go to sleep again sometimes. All I'm saying it's easier to get away from someone who is chasing you in "reality" than it is to get away from someone who kills you when you are sleeping. I'm a fan of both but Freddy is better, imo.

Correct me if I am wrong. But Michael Myers is still alive in all of the originals.

That being said, he must fall asleep. Which in turns lets him dream, and then he gets fucked over by Freddy. Case in point. Being an evil/dead son of a bitch is a lot greater than being an evil/alive son of a bitch. Meaning you can alter perception and reality. Which Freddy likes to do quite frequently. You can kill Michael Myers. You can't kill Freddy, he's already dead. But he CAN kill YOU. Easy pick really.

Freddy FTW.

You have a point. If Myers fell asleep, Freddy could possibly kill him. You made your point, but here's some food for though...

When Freddy sleeps, who do you think he has nightmares about? You know who...

You have a point. If Myers fell asleep, Freddy could possibly kill him. You made your point, but here's some food for though...

When Freddy sleeps, who do you think he has nightmares about? You know who...

Completely ludicrous statement. Freddy doesn't dream. He's dead. Somehow they worked out a way for Jason to sleep and have nightmares, but Freddy has NEVER slept since dying. Even if he were to sleep. Michael couldn't kill him in his nightmares. Freddy can. Michael Myers is human, in turn he can die. Freddy is already dead. He cant die again, they've tried. Each time he keeps coming back, and continues to kill people. Michael Myers is merely a mortal, and everything mortal can die.

Freddy FTW.

sorry monkey, but I have to remind you that this is not a who could kill who contest. This is a tournament where we measure both killers capabilities, strengths, weaknesses and overall, Michael is a superior killer. Also, Freddy "died" like...twice? (One time by Nancy Thompson and one courtesy of his very own daughter) in the series, while Michael didn't really died, though he got seriously wounded in all of his movies, if that's the point in case.

You mentioned that Freddy can alter perception and reality, so he could take advantage of Michael, then tell me: how did that go trying to kill Jason Voorhees? oops, he got trounced.

I will say it again: this could have been a more interesting final if only this guy --> :jason: would've beaten Freddy. Now people is still believing that this is a wrestling match between them, while it's more like a job interview.

Ok, I didn't want to double post, but I had to address this.

IC said it well: Until the curse is lifted, there's no escape from Mike. One problem with Freddy is that he tends to get weaker with the time. People overcomes their fears and some folks developed "Dream Techniques" in order to beat Freddy. That's not good for him.

On the other hand, no matter what kind of technique you want to develope: If you are "selected" to be one of Michael's victims, you don't have a chance in hell, eventually you'll become insane while you wait for your turn. Michael doesn't need people's fear in order to survive or to be strong; he just need to grab a completely random object from anywhere and kill you (even though he could easily take care of you with his bare hands).

Also developing "dream techniques" in order to survive doesn't work with Mike. He would stare at you then he would rip your fucking skin off of your body.

Folks, this is your last chance: PLEASE!!!!!! READ the tournament criteria and then vote. Don't fool yourselves with the "who would beat who" argument, this is not what the tournament is about (though we have demonstrated Michael Myers superiority in this department also)

VOTE for Michael Myers. He paved the way for the slasher genre himself and he's a superior assassin than his adversary.

Michael Myers is scarier to me, no question about it. Don't get me wrong, Freddy Krueger is pretty gosh darn scary - but Michael Myers original background story of becoming leans more towards the realistic than Freddy's does - which is what makes it that bit more worrying.

Plus, any on screen murderer that doesn't need to speak/make witty comments etc, just kill you gets them points for being the quiet, stealthy type (plus, he killed a DOG in the first one of his films I watched - instant evil points from resident dog lover here!)

He is human, has out killed Freddy without the need for anything bar a decent weapon (ie: no magic) and has managed to get that body count whilst being finicky about who he kills! He wins my vote, no problem!

This is the ultimate Slasher Tournament, is in not? Well one of the two who should be in this have been voted off. This leaves Michael Myers, to claim his throne as the greatest slasher of all time.This is the real deal here, not some Wednesday night special. Myers will massacre you if he sees fit, not give you a little bad dream. Myers has the most impressive body count, the greater set of movies, and for that, he should be considered the greatest slasher of all time.

So Freddy is the winner? I'm happy by the result, as Freddy, Michael, & Jason were my 3 picks to win this! I personally liked Freddy because of his style & flare, and because til this day he still feaks me out. Congrats Freddy! i enjoyed this mini-tournament, Thanks IC25!

I also enjoyed the tournament IC. I was a little disappointed, but the people have talked. I am glad that Jason did not win, but I was going for Michael Myers. Freddie Krueger did well this tournament. Maybe next time I will give him some more credit. Anyways, the best thing to do is look to the future. Maybe a Christmas Tournament? Rudolph vs Blue Toes? Next year for Halloween we could have a greatest monster tournament?

Well I'm glad my boy Freddy won this. In my opinion he is better, in others Michael Myers is better. All in all the main thing here is that we had fun. Props to Irish for creating a really fun tournament. Props to everyone else for making it so fun. There were alot of great slashers in here. So thanks once again to Irish for doing this, and others for making it soo much fun.

Freddy FTW...Had to do it one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back