Black%20Mage2%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage4%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage3%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage5%20-%20Cast.gif

CLASS: BLACK MAGE

LEVEL: 1

AP NEEDED: 10

My Thoughts:
This works just like the White Mage equivalent. The spellbook is broken up into 6 tiers and this is the first one. Jobs that are equipped with this are able to cast Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder. While it is just the basic triad of elemental attack spells it is pretty useful in the early quests. Recommended for whoever you picked as your offensive caster(s) until you get Summoner or Time Mage later on.

ABILITY SPOTLIGHT: CHECK

Blue%20Mage1%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage2%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage4%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage3%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage5%20-%20Defend.gif

CLASS: BLUE MAGE

LEVEL: 1

AP NEEDED: 10

My Thoughts:
This ability lets you check (as the name implies) to see what an enemy target's current Health Point count is. I never use it. You'll need to learn this first in order to get the next Blue Mage ability which is much more important so let's get it out of the way now.

ABILITY SPOTLIGHT: LEARNING

Blue%20Mage1%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage2%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage4%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage3%20-%20Defend.gif
Blue%20Mage5%20-%20Defend.gif

CLASS: BLUE MAGE

LEVEL: 2

AP NEEDED: 20

My Thoughts:
Extremely important for those who are trying to learn Blue spells without having to be a Blue Mage. I recommend having everyone learn this ability because it makes it far less frustrating to try to learn Blue spells. Anyone equipped with this can learn a Blue spell that the whole party would then gain access to if they survive the battle in good condition. Or you could skip this ability and just keep your Blue Mage(s) in that job forever, it's up to you. You'll need to learn this either way if you want to be able to have any other job cast Blue Magic. I get it early so that I can use it from the first point possible in the game.

JOB MASTERING CHECKPOINT

Bartz-Defend.gif
Lenna-Defend.gif
Faris-Defend.gif
Galuf-Defend.gif
Krile-Defend.gif

KNIGHT: Level 1

MONK: Level 2

THIEF: Level 1

WHITE MAGE: Level 1

BLACK MAGE: Level 1

BLUE MAGE: Level 2

Other Thoughts:
If you're wondering what this is, I'll be putting together checkpoints like this one to assist those who do want to master every job for every character. be on the lookout for these posts to help you along and see how to go about the ordeal of fully mastering everything without it being too time-consuming. Basically, a simple way to go about it is to look at your caster class with the lowest AP count needed for its next ability (based off what spells you have purchased so far) and make sure none of the non-caster classes have a next level AP count lower than that. You cannot cast 2nd tier White/Black spells yet so the White/Black Mage classes do not need their next skill yet. The next class level for Black Mage is 20 AP. All classes should then be at a point where they have 20 or less AP for their next level up. Hopefully that makes sense. If the vision behind it did not make sense simply go by the list. I'll have one every now and then that I'll post.

TORNA CANAL
My Level: 9

I set everyone to Monks with White Magic equipped for this event. Various fighter type classes with White Mage equipped is good early on so you can get their ability points. Everyone will be able to fight and heal. Sail east of Tule and the Wind Shrine, you will see a dead end with some gates in the mountain path along the water. Enter that and it is the Torna Canal. Bartz uses the key. Inside you get attacked by a boss.

BOSS BATTLE: Karlabos

karlboss.gif

Much easier than the eagle was. Just attack with your fighters and heal with White Magic as needed. This should be an easy boss whether you began leveling up your classes at this point or not. Unfortunately the easiness will not last long so enjoy the low difficulty while you can.

SHIP GRAVEYARD

You wake up in a ship graveyard, the attack to the ship had left you drifting. Galuf wakes up Lenna, who wakes up Bartz and then Galuf wakes up Faris. I kept the Monks with White Magic setting for everyone here. Begin by going to the right onto the next plank but then south to inspect a rock. You will jump south to a chest with a Flail. Proceed back up the rocks and then to your right into the ship. Follow the path in the ship then go into the door in the middle of the wall to find a chest with a tent, before heading south into the water. In the underwater room is a box with a skull it has 990 gil in it! There will be a north and south door, the north door leads to a chest with a Phoenix Down. The south door leads to the next room and in there is a chest with a Potion.

You reach an area that is above the water. The party decides to rest here. The conversation in this room is when you find out Faris is a girl. We are still very early into the game, though it's worth mentioning that within the storyline the heroes were unsure of her gender until now. Save and rest after the scene then continue. Head south once you're outside to get to the next ship and go inside. Pick up the paper on the floor, it is a World Map! Go downstairs for two Antidotes and a Phoenix Down in the three chests inside. Now go back outside and hop east on the rocks, open the chest to raise the rest of the ship that you were on. Hop north on the rocks and you will be attacked by Siren. Unlike the one in FF6 she is not a summon, she's the next boss battle. The fight does not start until after she tries some mind games though. The mind games do not work on Galuf due to his amnesia, and he snaps the others back to reality then the battle starts.

BOSS BATTLE: Siren

siren1.gif
siren2.gif

The main thing to keep in mind is that she has two forms. The first is normal, but the second is undead and has much higher resistance to regular attacks. If you use Monks with White Magic this should be no problem. You could cast Cure to damage the undead form.​

When the battle ends, head south along the coast until you get to the next town!

CARWEN (TOWN)

Rest at the Inn just north of you if you need to. Further north are the weapons, armor, and magic shop. Buy 4 Long Swords at the weapon shop. Buy 4 Bronze Helms and 4 Bronze Armors at the armor shop. At the magic shop buy Sleep, Silence, and Protect. These are level 2 spells, this means we will be gaining a couple of job levels after we are done in town. You don't have to obviously, but for the purposes of the walkthrough and 100% completion that will be next. A barrel south of the magic shop (in the row of 4) has an Antidote in it. Now go to the right and then down. You will see some boxes. Head into the space between them then go left and down some more until you get to a row of boxes under the bridge, one has a Frost Rod in them. Talk to a green haired lady who looks like she is walking fast, though keeps standing in the same spot. The party brainstorms on how to get to the town of Walse. Talk to the sailor south of her who is also walking yet staying in the same place. Go into the bar north of the green haired lady and the sailor. Play the piano inside while you're there. Talk to the man in the room upstairs he mentions a dragon that Lenna says must be her father's dragon, the party decides to head to the northern mountain to find the dragon.

First, let's go level up our job classes some.

ABILITY SPOTLIGHT: CHAKRA

Monk1%20-%20Cast.gif
Monk2%20-%20Cast.gif
Monk4%20-%20Cast.gif
Monk3%20-%20Cast.gif
Monk5%20-%20Cast.gif

CLASS: MONK

LEVEL: 3

AP NEEDED: 45

My Thoughts:
This is an ability that lets the person using it heal themselves a little and nullify Poison or Darkness. It's cool for an ability earlier into the game, though the drawback is that you can only use it on yourself. Outclassed later on by other skills.

ABILITY SPOTLIGHT: WHITE MAGIC (2)

White%20Mage1%20-%20Cast.gif
White%20Mage2%20-%20Cast.gif
White%20Mage4%20-%20Cast.gif
White%20Mage3%20-%20Cast.gif
White%20Mage5%20-%20Cast.gif

CLASS: WHITE MAGE

My Thoughts:
The second level of White Magic allows any class equipped with it to cast Silence, Protect, and Mini alongside the first tier of spells. Not quite as important as the first tier, but you'll want to be able to inflict Silence on some magical enemies. Protect can be really useful since it raises physical attack resistance on who it is cast on. Mini I rarely use. We want to gain access to the spells we just unlocked though so let's get this.

ABILITY SPOTLIGHT: BLACK MAGIC (2)

Black%20Mage1%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage2%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage4%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage3%20-%20Cast.gif
Black%20Mage5%20-%20Cast.gif

CLASS: BLACK MAGE

My Thoughts:
Just like the White Mage equivalent, it is the second tier of Black Magic spells so you get access to three more. They are Toad, Poison, and Sleep. The most useful of these is Toad. You'll need it soon to get a Blue spell and it comes in handy against an upcoming boss.

ABILITY SPOTLIGHT: FLEE

Thief1%20-%20Defend.gif
Thief2%20-%20Defend.gif
Thief4%20-%20Defend.gif
Thief3%20-%20Defend.gif
Thief5%20-%20Defend.gif

CLASS: THIEF

My Thoughts:
This is a better version of the manual version of running from a battle. You select it from your battle commands if you have it equipped and then the character attempts to escape the battle at a faster pace than holding down the L &R buttons traditionally. It does not always work so I never use this. The ability is getting unlocked at this time so that Thief does not fall behind the other classes.

JOB MASTERING CHECKPOINT

Bartz-Defend.gif
Lenna-Defend.gif
Faris-Defend.gif
Galuf-Defend.gif
Krile-Defend.gif

KNIGHT: Level 1

MONK: Level 3

THIEF: Level 2

WHITE MAGE: Level 2

BLACK MAGE: Level 2

BLUE MAGE: Level 2

Other Thoughts:
Here's where you should be at this point. Not all classes have the same amount of levels so while it may appear that Knight has fallen behind and Monk has gotten far ahead, that's not necessarily the case.

NORTHERN MOUNTAIN
My Level: 12

The mountain is to the northeast of Carwen. Let's head that way. I'm Monks with White Magic equipped here again. Enter the cave from the first area. South of the entrance in the first cavern is a chest with a Phoenix Down. Go back up and then to the left to get a chest with a Gold Needle. Exit this room to be outdoors again. The rest of this area is easy to follow with one exception. Watch out for the purple plants, they make you poisoned if you touch them! Casting the spell Poisona or using an Antidote potion will undo the poison status. You find a save point. Save there and head outside. You are attacked by Magissa who was hunting the dragon, she wants to abduct Lenna. Boss time!

After you defeat this boss you will find the dragon at the summit of the mountain.

BOSS BATTLE: Magissa & Forza

The battle starts with you against just Magissa. Cast Protect on everyone. Oh, and cast Poisona on Lenna since she will begin the battle poisoned. Regular attacks are fine, Magissa has no weakness. She will eventually summon Forza and focuses mainly on healing him. If you want a bestiary entry for Forza then you need to be careful as to not defeat Magissa too quickly for Forza to appear. Once he does you need to defeat her first so she cannot heal him. Then attack Forza.

TYCOON CASTLE - SIDEQUEST

You can now fly to Tycoon Castle on the dragon. You cannot fly over mountains so you're somewhat restricted to a certain portion of the map but it is not hard to find where to go. From Carwen you will need to fly east until you find yourself back at Tule. Then fly south following the mountains, then fly past the Tycoon meteor site and land by the castle.

The music that plays in the castle is really cool.

Inside the castle the Chancellor talks to you in the main hall. Then Lenna talks to Faris on the balcony at night before everyone goes to sleep. The next morning everyone wakes up and you can explore the castle. Check the jars downstairs from where you slept for a Hi-Potion. Go into the next room to be back in the main hall. North is the throne room. The left path takes you to the King's room and a green haired lady will not let you in. Go through the right path instead. You'll find a stairway and several jars. Look in the jars for an Ether, an Elixir, a Phoenix Down, and a Maiden's Kiss (heals frog status). The next stairway takes you out to the upper deck where the opening scene took place. Head back down into the main hall and go through the door to your right. This leads to an old lady in a room who talks about Lenna and her sister. There are an Ether, a Cottage, a Phoenix Down, and an Elixir in the jars in here. Exit the main hall. Head down the stairs to your left and follow the path inside. Press the switch and enter the newly opened path. There is a hidden path in here that the Thief class or someone with Find Passages can see. Follow that path to find the Chancellor and some chests containing a Shuriken, an Ashura Katana, and a Diamond Bell. The Chancellor gives you a Healing Staff.

You're done here now. Exit back to the world map.

WALSE (TOWN)

Walse is south of Carwen, you will have to fly there on the dragon. make sure you go to the town first, not the castle.

In town you can go down the stairs into a water filled area and the frogs in there talk. The one on the right says it is easy being green, the other just says ribbit. Go into the house in the bottom left and in a jar inside is a Silver Specs. To the right if you follow the road is the magic shop. We'll go in there in a moment. First go south through the trees to find a girl and a mammoth named Garula. The mammoth will not talk to you, but the girl tells you to not tease Garula. Ok. You'll run into Garula later, it's cool to meet him beforehand here. Let's go shopping. The magic shop is first, head north of Garula. There's Time magic and Summon magic to buy. Go ahead and buy it now, you're going to get those two classes soon. Head to the north of the Inn for the Weapons and Armor shops. You will not need any new weapons but the armor shop has plenty of things to guy. Buy 4 Iron Helms, 4 Iron Armor, 4 Kenpo Gi, and 4 Cotton Robe. That should cover gear for multiple classes for now. Next we'll be going to the castle which is right next to the town on the world map.

WALSE CASTLE

From the entrance head downstairs once you enter the first chamber. The stairs to your left lead to a basement, do NOT release Lone Wolf who is down there. He takes items from a couple of chests later on if you do. Go through the door to the northeast. This room is dangerous. You might encounter an enemy called Jackanapes. If you do, RUN. It is too powerful to fight now. Make sure you stay healed to maximum in between Jackanapes encounters. The chest in the upper left corner has an Elven Mantle. The jars in the upper right corner have the Speed spell and 2000 gil. Head back upstairs as soon as possible! From the first chamber go through the door at the northeast. In here go down the stairs. There is a Tent, a Phoenix Down, and 490 gil in the jars. Now go up into the throne room to advance the story. Another meteor falls, and it is at the tower north of the castle. That is where you should head next, but not quite yet. First I recommend stopping by the castle's tower to learn a Blue Magic spell. Trust me, you want this spell, even for just the upcoming boss fight.

BLUE MAGIC SPELLS - SIDEQUEST

Blue%20Mage1%20-%20Cast.gif
Blue%20Mage2%20-%20Cast.gif
Blue%20Mage4%20-%20Cast.gif
Blue%20Mage3%20-%20Cast.gif
Blue%20Mage5%20-%20Cast.gif

The new spell is Pond Chorus. Equip everyone with the Blue Mage class or with the Learning ability and head to the first chamber of Walse Castle. Go down the stairs, then exit through the southeastern door. Follow the path up the stairs and north, into the tower. Go through the waterfall. Look for Elf Toads in the room beyond first room. If you encounter one make sure one of these is the last enemy remaining, even if the whole enemy party was Elf Toads. When by itself the Toad will use Pond Chorus. The spell has to hit one of your Blue Mages or someone equipped with Learning. Even if the spell misses, they will not learn it. Exit the tower once you learn the spell. Go rest at the inn in town and save.

WALSE TOWER

The tower is just north of the castle and town, you can walk from there. If you rode the dragon then land over by the Walse Meteor. Make everyone a Blue Mage with White Magic. You'll want to be able to fight decently, cast Blue Magic, and still be able to heal. Procced forward. You find out Garula stormed the tower. Had you not met the mammoth while still in town you'd be left wondering just who Galura is until you get to the top floor. Anyways.... In the room where the king is, head down a stairway into the water and inspect the vine to climb up. You will find a chest with a Silk Robe. Save at the save point. You eventually find a room with three more vines. Take the left one to find a Silver Armlet. The middle one leads nowhere. Take the right one. Open the chest for an Ether. Go upstairs and be ready for a boss battle against Garula.

After the battle the crystal shatters and you get some new character classes! Berserker, Mystic Knight, Time Mage, Summoner, and Red Mage. Once you pick up all the crystal shards except for the one in the back, you have to escape from the tower.

HEY! I CAN'T GET THAT LAST CRYSTAL SHARD!

Don't worry about that one. It is out of reach and you actually weren't supposed to get it until world 3. Why they left this behind is beyond me, it has confused many players over the years. Yeah. Ignore it. It's the Mime class, you cannot get it until the third world anyhow.

BOSS BATTLE: Garula

garula.gif

A lot of people used to complain about this boss back in the day about how hard it was to defeat him. There's a trick to this fight and it's actually rather amusing. If you have Pond Chorus this fight is easy. Cast it on Garula to turn him into a frog. He will then stubbornly cast Toad on himself to turn back into a mammoth. Why would a mammoth know a Frog spell!? When (not if, but WHEN) he turns himself back to normal just use Pond Chorus again. This keeps him busy long enough for your other characters to attack. If you do not have Pond Chorus then it could be hard. He doesn't really have any weaknesses. In such a situation I would recommend being Monks who know White Magic so that they can heal each other or cast Protect. That might be your best shot there. Honestly, it's better to just use Pond Chorus.

CLASS SPOTLIGHT - Mystic Knight

Mystic%20Knight1.gif
Mystic%20Knight2.gif
Mystic%20Knight4.gif
Mystic%20Knight3.gif
Mystic%20Knight5.gif

Stat Adjustments:

Strength +14
Agility +14
Stamina +14
Magic +1

Abilities:
Level 1: Magic Shell (10 points)
Level 2: Spellblade 1 (20 points)
Level 3: Spellblade 2 (30 points)
Level 4: Spellblade 3 (50 points)
Level 5: Spellblade 4 (70 points)
Level 6: Spellblade 5 (100 points)
Level 7: Spellblade 6 (400 points)​

My Thoughts:
This is an awesome class. They cast spells on their weapons to make them do more damage and can take advantage of elemental properties. In order to use one of the game's ultimate attack sequences, you'll need to master this class alongside Ninja and Ranger to unlock the game's ultimate physical attack ability combinations. Highly recommend you master this one completely. Recommended for Bartz or whoever your main fighter is.

CLASS SPOTLIGHT - Berserker

Berserker1.gif
Berserker2.gif
Berserker4.gif
Berserker3.gif
Berserker5.gif

Stat Adjustments:

Strength +21
Agility -9
Stamina +25
Magic -23

Abilities:
Level 1: Berserk (100 points)
Level 2: Equip Axe (400 points)​

My Thoughts:
One of the worst classes in the game. Berserk (the ability) is 100% useless since you can accomplish something similar in the PC version by activating the Auto mode in a battle. Equip Axes is useless unless you want a Mime who can use Axes at the end of the game. If you're not a completionist or someone with a desire to allow other classes to use Axes, avoid this one. It's pretty useless. This is a shame too since the sprites for it look rather cool. I master it for completion purposes though I never use any of its abilities. Ever.

CLASS SPOTLIGHT - Time Mage

Time%20Mage1.gif
Time%20Mage2.gif
Time%20Mage4.gif
Time%20Mage3.gif
Time%20Mage5.gif

Stat Adjustments:

Strength -5
Agility +2
Stamina -3
Magic +24

Abilities:
Level 1: Time Magic 1 (10 points)
Level 2: Time Magic 2 (20 points)
Level 3: Time Magic 3 (30 points)
Level 4: Time Magic 4 (50 points)
Level 5: Time Magic 5 (70 points)
Level 6: Time Magic 6 (100 points)
Level 7: Equip Rods (250 points)​

My Thoughts:
The first time I played this game and got this class I nearly overlooked this class thinking I would never need it. Then I discovered the spell Comet in world two and I changed my mind rather quickly. This is a cool class. They cast spells for buffing and also spells that deal with space such as Comet and Meteor. You won't need Equip Rods, so you can stop after level 6 but you'll surely want to be able to use the spell Meteor at the end of the game. Stop after level 6 unless you are mastering every class. Good for whoever your offensive caster is so that they can branch out beyond just Black Magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back