Favourite Cover Songs

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
So I was going through my iTunes randomly and decided to put all the cover songs I had in a playlist. Turns out I have over 150 which seems to be a pretty decent amount. Also some of these I initially didn't realise were covers (looking at you Led Zeppelin)

So I ask you what are your favourite cover songs? here's some of mine

Word Up - Korn (original artist Cameo)

I like my nu-metal and Jonathan Davis has a weird cool voice. Cameo's version is cool and all but the singer just doesn't do it for me

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver (original artist Dio)

The Killswitch version packs more punch to me. There's nothing wrong with the Dio one, but a song about fantasy, adventure etc you'd think would be a tad more energetic.

Guns N Roses - Since I Don't Have You (original artist The Skyliners)

I literally just listened to the original and it's really cool but the Guns N Roses version just feels bigger

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (original artist Eurythmics)

Pretty much all of Marilyn Manson's covers are awesome but this one is my favourite because he changed the upbeatness of the original into something darker (I know it's a dark song but he made it more obvious)

Lacuna Coil - Enjoy The Silence (original artist Depeche Mode)

I think the fact that's being sung by a woman gives it a cool spin and the music is a bit heavier. Both versions are awesome though

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Love Rollercoaster (Ohio Players), Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder) Fire (Jimi Hendrix)

I love all the Red Hot Chili Peppers covers. I love how they're similar to the original but add a bit more craziness, especially the cover of Higher Ground. Stevie Wonder's version is cool and mellow and the Chili's version is cool and crazy

Faith No More - War Pigs (Black Sabbath), Easy (Lionel Ritchie), I Started A Joke (Bee Gees)

Similar to Marilyn Manson and the Chili Peppers I love all the covers by Faith No More. They just have more variety though. Manson's covers tended to be 80s synth stuff, Chili Peppers were generally old funk/rock. But Faith No More can do metal, RnB and pop. War Pigs is awesome because Mike Patton is a much better singer than Ozzy, they gave Easy a heavier edge but still retaining the RnBness and I Started A Joke is good because it's a modern interpretation with an old school feel

Michael Jackson - Come Together (original artist The Beatles)

This is one of the very few covers that MJ ever did and not a lot of people know about it. It was recorded for his movie Moonwalker in 1987. This version was never released on an album and for the longest time, to even just hear this version, one had to watch the scene where he performs the song from Moonwalker. With the advent of YouTube, though, you can watch that scene or just flat out listen to the song whenever you please.

I like this version over the original because MJ just made it so damn funky. He totally took an early rock song and made it an 80's funk jam and it worked beautifully. Also, keep in mind, that the beat and grooves of this song were perfect for Jackson's dance moves and body movements. As far as I'm concerned, this is the definitive version of this song. Still have no freaking idea what the lyrics mean, but I love this song.

Saw the title of the thread and came in to pimp Faith No More but the OP beat me to it. Easy was the first song to come to my mind here. Mike Patton is so incredibly talented, and the band is so diverse with their sound and refuses to be pigeonholed into any one genre. That they cover songs by such totally different artists like Sabbath, Lionel Richie and the Bee Gees is so incredibly cool to me.

Since OP already offered my top answer, I'll go with a song by Chris Cornell. I really enjoy his acoustic version of Billy Jean-such a completely different version of the classic song. Of course it can't measure up to Jackson's version, but I really dig how he was able to make it sound like a totally different song and he had the pipes to make it sound good. Just a very cool, very different take on a classic. His acoustic version of Nothing Compares 2U was also excellent and that one I do prefer to the more popular O'Connor version.

How is this the fourth post and no one has mentioned Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt? Even Trent himself said he and NIN may have written that song, but Cash owns it.

I'm outing myself a bit here, but Iron and Wine's cover of Such Great Heights by The Postal Service is also great. It took an upbeat love song and turned it into a slow paced confession of one's feelings, and it just felt like a better fit.

How is this the fourth post and no one has mentioned Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt? Even Trent himself said he and NIN may have written that song, but Cash owns it.

I'm outing myself a bit here, but Iron and Wine's cover of Such Great Heights by The Postal Service is also great. It took an upbeat love song and turned it into a slow paced confession of one's feelings, and it just felt like a better fit.

Great choice, and that reminds me of another cover Johnny Cash did. His version of the Soundgarden song Rusty Cage was also really good.

One of my favorite cover songs is "Come On Feel The Noise" by Quiet Riot. It's one of the few cases where not only is the cover better than the original in terms of quality, but also where the cover went on to become much better known than the original. Some don't even know about the original. I love both versions though I prefer the 1983 Quiet Riot version over the 1973 original from Slade. A more recent cover that I liked is when Dragonforce did a cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire" for the album they released in 2014 and it was really well done. Another case where I preferred the new to the original, though in this one's case I might be in the minority.

Others for me include anything off of Poison's album "Poison'd!" or Def Leppard's "Yeah!". Both of which are entire albums made up of nothing but cool covers of other bands' songs.

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (original artist: Prince)

A lot of people don't know this but Prince is the one who actually wrote and first recorded Nothing Compares 2 U and he did a damn good job of it too. Sinead O'Connor, though, added in very powerful vocals and a ton of emotion to make it one of the most iconic love songs of all time. She did such a great job with this song that it completely made her career. If anyone can name another Sinead O'Connor song off the top of their head I would be impressed. Quick little story; about 2 weeks after my ex fiance and I decided to call it quits, I was in my vehicle listening to classics on the radio and this song came on and I cried like a little girl. This song hits you (well me at least) right in the feels.

Nightwish - Over the hills and far away

I love this cover, it was the first song I even heard from Nightwish and I became a big fan of them after that. The gothic, orchestra really brings the story of this song to life. I even used this as someone's entrance music in one of my old WWE games a while back.

Red - Ordinary World

Red has long been one of my favorite bands and I was a little hesitant they were covering this classic, but like always they did not disappoint. It does the original justice and can be heard throughout the radio and even when I'm shopping i'll hear it from time to time. Just a soothing orchestra in the background and such a chill cover to listen to.

This is all for now I may pop back in later when I think of more.

The Clash- I Fought the Law.

Not the first, but more than likely most notable punk cover. I got over the majority of their discography by the age of 10, because they're just not as interesting as a majority of their contemporaries. Especially regarding those in the United Sates and Middle Europe. This song still does hold an unmatched legacy and was an introductory piece to my love of Punk music at an incredibly early age. I'm glad it's as popular as it is, because it is a pleasant listen when it comes on in between sets at live shows.

Rise Against- Blind (Face to Face cover)

Face to Face's 1996 Self titled record was great when it came out and while it doesn't hold up today it still has a few tracks that are amazing. The greatest of all those being the 3rd track Blind. While there is a much more aggressive and raw energy to the original Rise Against made it superior in performance. My only real issue is that it doesn't capture the feeling of the original track, but everything else really makes up for it.

The Unseen- Beat It

This cover is actually borderline horrific to listen to in terms of quality, composition, and performance. That is why I love it though. Being 14 or 15 and singing in a band of similar quality to large crowds that touring bands who had a gold record couldn't draw out really had a feeling of fun, anger, and youth. This track really captures The Unseen before they became talented musicians and toured the world at what may of been their peak in the mid 2000's. They were just kid here barely older than I was and it kicked off what I deemed to be a successful career (at least for a punk band) in the music I loved.

Death- Painkiller

It's superior to the Judas Priest classic in nearly every way while keeping the vibe and conviction of the original track that made it so great to begin with.

Destruction- (F*** The) U.S.A (The Exploited cover)

Destruction covered arguably the best song from probably the most infamous UK 82 album to come out of all time. It still offends people possibly even more today despite being 35 years old this year. They basically just made a street punk and borderline D-Beat classic into a more Metal version that leaned towards the thrash and crossover genre. Exploited later in their career really dived into this I would say most notably on their 1990 record The Massacre or 2003's F the System, but there is something truly special about this cover in the vacuum of space it exists in.

Motorhead- R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

One of the greatest and consistent metal acts of all time pays tribute to the greatest band not just in Punk, but in all of music. The track really speaks for itself.

Some other good covers could be 7 Seconds- 99 Seconds, AFI- Halloween, Streetlight Manifesto- Punk Rock Girl, Ramones- California Sun.

I had a list of 1281 cover songs I had written with notes to every single one, but I'm not sure where it is currently. I might start up one again considering I remember all of them for the most part and enjoyed every single one for various reasons.

Nightwish - Over the hills and far away

I love this cover, it was the first song I even heard from Nightwish and I became a big fan of them after that. The gothic, orchestra really brings the story of this song to life. I even used this as someone's entrance music in one of my old WWE games a while back.

Awesome choice. Love that song. Well, I love anything by them really. They are my favorite band. Funny how you were introduced to them by a cover. I was too! Only for me it was their cover of Phantom Of The Opera. Beautifully done. It ended up being another case where I prefer the cover to the original. Plus it helped me find what is now my favorite band! I looked up some of their other stuff after discovering that song and have been a big fan for over a decade.

Westlife - Uptown Girl (original by Billy Joel)

I prefer Westlife's version better as every member lends their awesome voices to the song as opposed to just only Billy Joel singing. And the music video features Claudia Schiffer and Ioan Gruffurd, who you may recognize as Mr. Fantastic in The Fantastic Four movie.

Eye of the Tiger- Light the Torch (band formerly known as Devil you Know, original song by Survivor

OP mentioned KsE's Holy Diver cover, so I thought I'd throw in another cover with the vocals of one Howard Jones. I'm not going to sit here and say it's better than the original, as they're totally different in the way they sound, but it's a damn good listen for those into metalcore.

Madonna - American Pie (original by Don McClean)

I'm more of a dance-pop guy than a folk rock guy, I also prefer the song shorter than longer, and Madonna's version is mystical and sensual.

Gary Jules - Mad World (original by Tears For Fears)

Gary Jules version is haunting, sad and beautiful all at the same time. I was just singing this to myself earlier today, lol.

Limp Bizkit - Thieves (original artist Ministry)

So I heard the Limp Bizkit version first and then I kept reading how it sucked and Ministry's was far superior, so I listened to it. Personally I think it's meh

Limp Bizkit's version packs more punch, from the guitar to the bass and drums, plus Fred Durst sounds insane on it.

I feel that people say the Limp Bizkit version sucks because it's Limp Bizkit but if it had been someone else it would be looked upon more favourably.

So Limp Bizkit did a song better than the original artist. Fight Me

Because the Night - 10,000 Maniacs (original by Bruce Springsteen)

Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (original by Stevie Wonder)

Running Up That Hill - Placebo (original by Kate Bush)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back