• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Extreme Rules 2014 - WWE Intercontinental Championship: Big E (c) VS Bad News Barrett

so with RVD getting by Cesaro last week, finals of the IC tourney will be RVD-Bad News Barrett

I think we can pencil in Big E vs Barrett for Extreme Rules, and a likely win for Barrett

but long term I don't see a point to Barrett picking up the title yet again. He's had lackluster runs before as IC champ, and I dunno if it can be THAT much different, even with a fresher gimmick

so with RVD getting by Cesaro last week, finals of the IC tourney will be RVD-Bad News Barrett

I think we can pencil in Big E vs Barrett for Extreme Rules, and a likely win for Barrett

but long term I don't see a point to Barrett picking up the title yet again. He's had lackluster runs before as IC champ, and I dunno if it can be THAT much different, even with a fresher gimmick

Yeah it's really hard to have high hopes at this point, but he does have that "it can't possibly get worse than last time" thing going for him. :p

Seriously though there is potential with Barrett having the title. They're clearly invested in him right now, and any push he might be getting would only help make the IC title look better. He's also getting mic time on a consistent basis, which is a lot more than we can say about Axel and Big E's title reign. If they keep on letting him do what he's been doing lately (putting on great matches and good promos) than there is hope that this can be a great title reign.

But of course he has the win it first, I wouldn't necessarily count Big E and RVD out yet. Of course I would much rather have Barrett win it over those 2 but I can see reasons for giving RVD another title run or having Big E retain

Barrett winning this tourney and then going to ER and winning the IC tells us that the WWE has no intention on him ever having an established career in the WWE any longer.

Yeah it's really hard to have high hopes at this point, but he does have that "it can't possibly get worse than last time" thing going for him. :p

Seriously though there is potential with Barrett having the title. They're clearly invested in him right now, and any push he might be getting would only help make the IC title look better. He's also getting mic time on a consistent basis, which is a lot more than we can say about Axel and Big E's title reign. If they keep on letting him do what he's been doing lately (putting on great matches and good promos) than there is hope that this can be a great title reign.

But of course he has the win it first, I wouldn't necessarily count Big E and RVD out yet. Of course I would much rather have Barrett win it over those 2 but I can see reasons for giving RVD another title run or having Big E retain

Barrett definitely seems to be connecting with the crowd better this time around, so that is good to see, and can help him in the long run

**I could see SOME sense in having RVD pick up the belt .. maybe to feud with Paul Heyman client Cesaro?

and I don't see much sense in keeping the title on Big E, especially with the way his reign has been going as of late. Sure he could keep the belt, but if he's not in high profile matches, or defending the title regularly, what's the point?

Barrett definitely seems to be connecting with the crowd better this time around, so that is good to see, and can help him in the long run

**I could see SOME sense in having RVD pick up the belt .. maybe to feud with Paul Heyman client Cesaro?

and I don't see much sense in keeping the title on Big E, especially with the way his reign has been going as of late. Sure he could keep the belt, but if he's not in high profile matches, or defending the title regularly, what's the point?

Big E is the worse choice of the 3, but it's not like he's a total lost cause. He has a great look, he's not bad in the ring and his mic work is improving(not that's saying much granted) so if they for some reason decide to restart his push keeping the title on him can be a good thing. Of course that's a pretty big if at this point since it's much more likely that him retaining would just be a continuation of his boring and uneventful title reign, which is why I would much prefer it if the other 2 got the title instead.

I absolutely see Barrett winning the title Sunday, but I have to agree with laodaron in that the really took the focus off Barrett in the finals. The Swagger/Cesaro feud has overshadowed Barrett's win, and despite the fact that Barrett is getting over the IC title hasn't exactly been great luck for anyone that has held it lately. Barrett wins and I do hope they continue his push after this.

I absolutely see Barrett winning the title Sunday, but I have to agree with laodaron in that the really took the focus off Barrett in the finals. The Swagger/Cesaro feud has overshadowed Barrett's win, and despite the fact that Barrett is getting over the IC title hasn't exactly been great luck for anyone that has held it lately. Barrett wins and I do hope they continue his push after this.

I was hoping RVD would have won. I really can't see Barrett doing much with the title reign. He needs to be in the main event scene.

He's at the level Kofi is at - multiple title reigns but hadn't took the next step. I'd hate it just to see him fight Big E again, hardly defend his title then lose his title on main event or Smackdown to draw ratings when they go down.

I'm not sold on this match, don't get me wrong, I really like both men, I think both have potential, but I doubt they have chemistry. That being said, I don't see a clear winner, in fact probably it is going to become a mino feud between these two for the next two PPVs, or that's what I'm hoping.

I'm not sure who is going to win, but I'm leaning towards Big E retaining.

All signs point to a win for Barrett. He's riding a sustained push with a good amount of momentum, so he's the logical choice for a winner.

I don't know what's next for Big. E after the loss. For whatever reason, WWE put the brakes on his push after he won the title, and before the tournament started, Big. E was floating around the card with no real purpose.

I've really enjoyed the IC Championship tourney thus far, that alone has done so much for the title and building this match into something people are really going to be looking forward to. Barrett has looked great throughout the tourney against Ziggler, Sheamus and RVD although I wish he'd have gone over cleanly without Cesaro's interference.

The match itself should be good, stylistically I'm not sure how their chemistry is gonna be but hopefully they can put on a solid match. I'm hoping for and expecting Bad News to walk out of Extreme Rules with the title for the 4th time and let's pray this time he can use this to then catapult himself back to the main event because I want this man as our WWE Wolrd Heavyweight Champion.

Well, WWE decided that a swagger, Cesaro, rvd 3way was more important than Barrett's career. See ya, wade.
Explain. How is Barrett winning a tournament and then probably winning the IC title worse than being in a triple threat match?

This is the best of both worlds. Barrett/Langston helps get Barrett over. Cesaro/RVD/Swagger starts or continues several storylines. Cesaro being a Heyman guy, RVD being a former Heyman guy, Swagger/Cesaro, etc.

I'm not following you on this.

I see a lot of people worried about how the styles will mesh. Personally, I like it. Both guys hit hard and can take a hit. Should be a clubfest. Best case scenario is Regal vs Finlay Uncensored 1996.

Easy. Wade Barrett is a perfect example from previously, but the WWE doesn't care about booking the IC. Getting the IC locks you into horrible booking for the near future. The only thing worse is losing an IC match. Look back and find someone since 2009 that hasn't suffered being the IC. I guarantee its a one off if you find one.

Now, RVD being in the other match shows that the WWE doesn't have the faith in Cesaro that they are trying to show. These two matchups on the card are just really bad mid card booking.

Easy. Wade Barrett is a perfect example from previously, but the WWE doesn't care about booking the IC. Getting the IC locks you into horrible booking for the near future. The only thing worse is losing an IC match. Look back and find someone since 2009 that hasn't suffered being the IC. I guarantee its a one off if you find one.

Now, RVD being in the other match shows that the WWE doesn't have the faith in Cesaro that they are trying to show. These two matchups on the card are just really bad mid card booking.
RVD elevates the triple threat, prolongs Cesaro/Swagger, and adds another story to go with it. Makes it a lot more interesting. Now you have Heyman vs RVD, Cesaro vs Swagger, Cesaro vs Coulter all feuds going in.

The IC title isn't what hurts guys. The guys hurt themself. Also, just because that's how things used to be, doesn't mean that's how they will be. The tournament, the hype on commentary, all that tells me they are pushing it more. Instead of asking me to look at "who has the IC Title helped", you look at it and tell me who was worth a shit?

Also, just because that's how things used to be, doesn't mean that's how they will be.

I pretty much agree with this statement right here. While I was initially unsure about Barrett's "Bad News" gimmick, I've found myself surprisingly entertained by it as time rolled on. I haven't been this interested in anything Barrett has done since his days as the leader of Nexus and that was years ago. I'd like to think that Barrett is at that stage where he can take the ball and roll with it in regards to the IC title. I mean, it's not like Big E has done anything significant with it since winning it (which I find very odd considering how high I thought they were on him). What's the worst that can happen as a result of a title change?

Match should be interesting. Both guys are booked as hard hitters. It oughta be a fun one.

20140428_ExtremeBigEBad_Homepage.jpg

This will probably open up the show. I really enjoyed the contendership tournament going into the match and am surprised that Barrett got the #1 contendership instead of wrestlers like Sheamus or Cesaro who also participated in the tounament. I'd say that it will be good for him to have this match, but I will wait and see what happens before ultimately making that analysis. Barrett has had a few Intercontinental Championship reigns before and each of them were lackluster. How do we know it won't be the same if he wins here again? I do think he will get the win, I just hope that this reign will be different and they actually do something with him this time. I doubt that Big E will retain. His reign has been boring and honestly so is he, so it is time for this title run to end. Barrett wins the Intercontinental Championship to start off the show. The match will probably be ok, nothing to write home about but not necessarily a bad match.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Bad News Barrett will win the Intercontinental Championship.

Bad News Barrett's push is surely leading into very entertaining segments and very entertaining matches, while Big E. hasn't wrestled on the two big shows in over a month. While I think Big E. should retain, I also think that Barrett has proved (more than once) that he's in fact a guy that has a lot of talent in every aspect of being a professional wrestler. Both this guys will surely try to have a decent midcard match, and for what is worth, I'm expecting a really good, stiff brawl.

But Bad News Barrett is hands down the favorite to leave Extreme Rules the Intercontinental Champions. But what does he win with the strap? More television time? More of the same with Big E. Langston? I don't know if Big E. is the guy that can put Barrett over, but it seems that Barrett is the guy that can put Big E. over. The lack of confidence creative has with Big E. to not even give him a face to face or commentary for the tournament is almost a proof that he isn't retaining his title. Maybe a heel turn and a small feud with someone of a John Cena (after Bray) or even Daniel Bryan (after Kane) could do wonders to evolve him.

As of this moment, I'm expecting a big pop to the Britain's own Wade Barrett when he hits the elbow and shows the world his championship.

This whole build has purely been about Barrett and he is getting good reactions from the crowd, I can't see any point in slowing his momentum for a guy in Big E who has none and is barely over. The key will be how both are booked afterwards if this is not to be yet another pointless IC title switch, Barrett needs a strong reign and Big E needs a character revamp.

It had to happen really, and I'm very happy it did. Big E has found himself in that dreaded situation of neither getting cheered or bored, just almost silence when he comes out. I don't dislike Big E at all. Far from it, I hoped his IC title run would be a success, but sadly not.

For me, there's just very little about him. He's an imposing presence, granted. But in the ring he's sloppy, and out of the ring he just sounds really awkward. I understand going for the sometimes goofy but funny big man vibe, but it doesn't feel natural. It should be natural, I mean on Twitter and in particular his Instagram videos, he's hilarious! Why this hasn't translated to his WWE personality I'm not sure yet. But yes, he needs a revamp of somesort. The only times I remember him being 'over' with the crowd was when he turned face to help CM Punk fight off Curtis Axel and Ryback, and when he won the title from Curtis Axel, who was basically in the position Big E is in now, irrelevant. Since then, he hasn't taken the ball and gone with it, he's almost regressed in my eyes. Whether that's on him, or on creative I don't know, but something needs to happen.

Heel turn? Unlikely I know after only turning face in October, but still something to think about. Form a tag-team with someone? I did enjoy his moments tag-teaming with Mark Henry. Or does he just simply need to get better in all areas? He's only 28, and this isn't a complete disaster at all, but something has to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back