Elder Scrolls or Fallout

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
everyone who plays this generation of video games knows these series. They are both Developed and published (at least in part) by Bethesda Softworks (specifically Bethesda Game Studios).

Both are open ended RPGs with literally hundreds of game where. You can do what you want when you want to do it which is what I love about these games. No other game has sucked me in like the ones in this series has.

Aside from things like setting and storyline (which obviously have to be different) these games are identical in what you can do and how you do it.

For those that have played both series Which do you like better and why?
Personally I like the Elder Scrolls series better. I love the old mid evil setting and the stolyline in Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim have sucked me in within minutes and the way you level up is 2nd to none.

With Fallout I've only ever played 3. Fallout was recommended when I preordered Skyrim at Gamestop and I figured I'd give it a chance and 3 was the cheapest I found at the time. I was not sucked in like I always have been with Elder Scrolls. Don't get me wrong I was entertained a bit but it didn't have that oommph I was expecting. I returned it and really have no desire to play any other game in the series.

First off, let's talk about Fallout.

The first two games were developed by the now defunct Black Isle Studios and I believe were published by Interplay. Fallout 1 was a spiritual sequel to Wasteland(Which is a great game in it's own right) and much like the muse obviously states, it takes place in a Wasteland following nuclear holocaust. It boomed with atmosphere and an addicting non-linear gameplay. You could do what you want, when you want. For the time, it's combat was possibly the best blend of depth and enjoyment as far as RPG's with the over-the-top viewpoint go. Fallout 2 expanded on this and injected in more humor to Fallout 1's grim and gothic world. It was bigger and the perks and ability systems were expanded. Both were critically acclaimed but were criticized for bugs and glitches; much like the latter 2 which I will get into now.

Fallout 3 was both developed and published by Bethesda and IMO, made it better than the first 2 ever were. It used the same engine as Oblivion(Modified Gamebryo) and played in a similar manner. Same controls, same camera, same animations, same save system, etc. Only it switched from the Elder Scrolls world of high fantasy to a more somber post-apocalyptic DC where you attempt to return the gift of life to society. Much like BI, Bethesda managed to deliver a living breathing world where you could see the impact that war has left and the desperation it caused. New Vegas was more of the same, although developed by Obsidian(KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol) and was once again the same engine and gameplay, only switched from DC to well...Vegas and it's surrounding areas, and features your character caught up in a war between various factions and shady individuals who are looking to take over Vegas for their own motvations and reasons. As I said, both of these games were acclaimed(FO3 far more so than NV however) but had technical faults. Especially New Vegas, which even now after various patches, can still prove to be faulty at times.

Now on to Elder Scrolls.

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and the latest, Skyrim.

Much like the Fallout games, these are completely open world and all allow the player to do as they please. Do you want to be an evil and malicious assassin? or a greedy but compassionate thief? The choice is yours. All 5 take place on the fictional continent of Tamriel. In all 5 games, you start off as a prisoner and by one way or another, you are set free and required to save the world. In the process, you can roam the countryside and fight off thieves and bandits, you can clear out dungeons of their valuables, join different guilds such as the Fighters, Mages, Thieves, and Assassins(Dark Brotherhood or Morag Tong depending on the game) or become an infamous outlaw who sparks terror and causes people to flee just at the sight of you. The first 2 were met with mixed reviews, the 3rd was GOTY to some, the 4th was GOTY to even more, and Skyrim is the best reviewed game of 2011.

And finally to answer the question of which one I like more...i'm gonna have to say the Elder Scrolls. Simply because Bethesda has done an amazing job of creating a lore for it over the past 15+ years, something that the Fallout world lacks. Furthermore, the fact that Skyrim has totally raised the bar to another level, absolutely helps its case.

I'd rank all the games in the following order(Spaced out to add emphasis to how I rate the quality of the games)

1. Skyrim

2. Morrowind
3. Fallout 3
4. Oblivion
5. New Vegas

6. Fallout 2
7. Fallout
8. Daggerfall
9. Arena

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.