ECW Regular Wrestling Match: Brock Lesnar vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Discussion in 'The 3rd Annual Wrestlezone Tournament (2009)' started by Shocky, May 23, 2009.

?

ECW Rules Match - Jushin Liger vs Brock Lesnar

1. Thunder

2. Next Big Thing

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

The following match takes place in the ECW Region, from the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, PA.

Regular Wrestling Match: The following match will take place under regular wrestling rules. However, much has been made about this, and I have decided that the match that Regular for ECW is Extreme Rules. The House Rules apply in this match.

Brock Lesnar:
    [​IMG]

vs.

Jushin Thunder Liger
    [​IMG]

2. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Okay, I deeply respect and admire how far Tdigs and Ligerbomb have been able to carry Jushin Liger in this tournament..... but, it stops here.

I don't see how in any way, shape or form anyone could ever justifiably vote for Liger over Lesnar. Lesnar's the better, more versatile worker, and he would absolutely destroy Jushin Liger in a kayfabe, or shoot for that matter, match. And as far as kayfabe is being concerned, Liger DEFINITELY wouldn't stand a chance against Lesnar in ECW. For one, Lesnar can be as sadistic as anyone, but then you factor in the strength advantage, and the fact that Liger's speed won't help him considering how fast Lesnar is himself… no way Liger would be able to put this monster down. There's no high spot Liger could try that Lesnar wouldn't be able to counter with a power move. And then you add in to the fact that even though Lesnar was never in ECW, he's still one of Paul Heyman's own personal projects. No way ever would Liger defeat Lesnar in ECW, no fucking way..

And Liger is a great worker, no doubt, but I strongly feel Lesnar was a lot better. The shit that behemoth could do, it was unbelievable. Never has the business seen someone so powerful yet agile, so brutal yet so graceful.... Brock Lesnar is just not human.

Lesnar might not have been in pro wrestling long, but man did he leave his mark. It took Liger years and years of hard work and a lot of luck to get to where he got, and I really respect him for that, but he's no Brock Lesnar. Liger might have Lesnar beat in the department of passion for the business and also longevity, but there's nothing else. And to me, that says Lesnar should clearly advance here.

3. HBK-aholic

HBK-aholic Shawn Michaels ❤

Liger shouldn't even have gotten this far, and his road definately stops here. This should be the easiest match to vote on in this round. Brock Lesnar has everything. He's powerful, he's fast, and he's a damn good wrestler. In kayfabe, out of kayfabe, Lesnar has every advantage possible over Liger, and his F5 will put Liger out of this.

4. Blade

Blade "Original Blade"

Liger would go down to Lesnar after a good fight in most gimmick matches. But this is a regular wrestling match. Liger doesn't even stand a chance.

The only thing Liger has over Lesnar is the speed, and even the most hardcore Liger fans aren't gonna be able to argue with that.
    Lesnar made his WWE career on destroying faster, smaller guys. Hardys, RVD, The Rock, Angle. All faster, all lost to Lesnar. The fact that he managed to beat The Rock and Angle is astonishing, since those two guys have the biggest reputations for kicking out of finishing moves. But they both stayed down to the F-5. In fact, I don't rememeber anyone apart from Goldberg kicking out of it. And Liger sure doesn't have the toughness or resilience (spelling?) of Goldberg.

Liger would be able to hit the odd move out of nowhere, stunning Lesnar momentarily and he'd be able to dodge Lesnar to a certain extent. But as soon as Lesnar catches him, and Lesnar would catch him, Liger would be screwed. A few high impact power moves, maybe a bone crunching submission and an F-5 ends it for Liger after 10 minutes.

5. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

On an N64 boxing game there's a line a character says when he wins a fight: Too Bad, Too Big, Too Mean. That summarizes Lesnar vs. Liger.

No way Liger wins here. He might be the best cruiserweight of all time, but that's not going to mean anything here. There's a reason why in spots like boxing that lighter fighters don't face heavyweights: one punch and the lightweights' head would be in the fourth row. Liger can hit all the offense he wants here and it means nothing. He can't Liger Bome him, the brainbuster won't work, and he'll never got the SSP in time. Liger is dead here as Lesnar rolls over him.

6. 48.7 is Approximately 49 Times Better Than You

Has there ever been a man in this tournament more dangerous than Brock Lesnar? No one, not even the die-hard Jeff Hardy fans were able to put up a real argument against him. We Lesnar supporters have been able to half-ass it in these threads, because he's had no real competition.

This match is over before it starts. Liger was good, but he couldn't hang with Lesnar. Lesnar is too strong, too big, too fast, too mean, too everything for Liger to handle. I can't think of any reason not to vote Lesnar.

7. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

Actually, Liger should have gotten this far, as he was better than everyone he faced in the aspects that counted (with all due respect, your post in the Michaels vs. Liger thread did absolutely nothing to convince me why Michaels should have gone over Liger; I know you were in the hospital, and it is possible that you could have put forward better arguments had you been healthy, so, better luck next year).

But, even I have to admit that Liger faces an extremely daunting challenge here. Stay tuned for the arguments that I plan on putting forward, as I'm going to have to think long and hard about how Liger could match Brock Lesnar. There are two things that are possibly in Liger's favor, however:

1) Kayfabe, Lesnar lost to Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004, a borderline cruiserweight who is nowhere near as good as Jushin Liger.

2) This is a pure wrestling match, and Liger is well versed in freestyle wrestling. I know that there is a difference between American collegiate wrestling and freestyle wrestling, so, I'll have to see if this will play to Liger's benefit or not.

8. 48.7 is Approximately 49 Times Better Than You

Due to interference from Goldberg. Lesnar was well on his way to a victory before that.

Tdigle said it. He's even having a hard time thinking of how Lesnar would lose. He's a huge Liger mark, yet he can't find a Liger victory anywhere. That should be enough to convince you all.

9. Father:_Polley

Father:_Polley Fun's my Chinese neighbour's name

Tdigs... I'm impressed that you managed to get Liger this far and to get him past HBK in a forum of fans. Impressive. However I wish to point out that Brock Lesnar is a beast of a man. A man who was hit with a Sweet Chin Music and simply rolled out of the ring and shook it off. The last round made it clear that if HBK had hit SCM, Liger was out.

Brock is the sorta guy who will happily take all the shots Liger can dish out, then punch a chair into Liger's face and proceed to dismantle him. Make no mistake... Brock couldn't actually give a rat's about Liger. He's the kind of man who happily F5-ed a one legged man into a ring post, knee first with his mother in the front row. That's how uncaring he is.

He tossed Big Show, Taker and Angle around the ring happily without the necessity of weapons to wear them out first.

will he tire? He's the man you saw running up hills carrying a tree, then squatting the tree. Athletic enough to hit the very move Jushin Liger prides himself on with ease. Not bad for a big dude.

Preempting the inevitable 'No, do you not remember Mania? He botched it'. Did he not manage to finish that match with a severe concussion and managed to avoid breaking his neck due to the degree of muscle he has.

I respect his activity... but Brock is big, strong and bad. He's probably one of, if not the favourite to win ECW, if not the whole thing

10. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Well, as long as something didn't occur beforehand... like, weird example, Lesnar being speared by Goldberg.

I think by "regular" they mean your regular, run of the mill wrestling match. If they meant shoot style, I'm sure Lesnar fans would be having a field day.

11. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

What is with all of the Lesnar love in this tournament? I mean, really?

In Brock Lesnar, you have a guy who was pushed to the moon and at a VERY young age was set up to be one of the 5 greatest pro wrestlers of all time. His mic skills were coming around, and his physical stature and skill were very plauisble and realistic. And still, he slapped you all in the face by insulting the wrestling business to try to walk on with the Minnesota Vikings.

Lesnar was handed the world, and like Shane Douglas to the NWA Title, Brock threw it down and spit on it. And what are you all doing? You're fawning over him like 12 year olds at a Jonas Brothers concert.

Makes me sick.

Vote for Liger. Respect the business.

12. ZEUS

ZEUS Pre-Show Stalwart

I love Jushin Liger. I was also a fan of Brock's in ring work. I think this would be a very entertaining match, but I cannot fathom how Liger could beat Brock. Lesnar is just too powerful, too skilled, and too intense. I'm sure Liger would do better than a lot of people will give him credit for, but this should be another win for Lesnar.

13. ZEUS

ZEUS Pre-Show Stalwart

Yeah, Lesnar was a dick for walking away the way he did, but that doesn't change who would win in a match. Lesnar has the tools to win, Liger really doesn't.

14. justinsayne

justinsayne Cody Rhodes is an excellant

Brock Lesner wrestled till his contract was up, he took care of his business then decided he had other goals he would also like to achieve in his life, and when his contract with WWE was up, he moved on and at least tried to fulfill those goals, that's alot more than I can say for most people, just because he didn't make wrestling his life long career doesn't take away from what he accomplished in the short time he was there, IMO he didn't spit and throw down any oppertunity he was handed, he knew full well, that had he stayed with WWE he would have been hugely successful, he aslo knew full well that at his age if he ever wanted to become a professional athlete in the NFL he had to do it while he was young, and so he did, granted things didn't pan oout for like he prolly hoped but at least he made the effort to try, he then decided to give MMA an shot and I don't think even you can fault him for going their where, much like with his wrestling career he is a huge success, and makes prolly loads more money than he would if he were still working for WWE, wrestling fans are just a little ridiculous in the way they view what a wrestler owes them, or what they think the wrestler owes them, the fact of the matter is a wrestle doesn't owe anything more than a good show while he's under contract, once his contract expires that wrestler can go off and do any danm thing he wishes

2012isbs likes this.
  15. Shocky

I think this is a preemptive strike by the boss man because he fears the Brock Train picking up momentum, and the Man they Call Vader is slowly coming along on the tracks...

The man threw nothing away, he wanted more out of himself. Nothing wrong with that, at all. In fact, self motivated men that dominate something, and then move on to the next challenge should be comended instead of condemed. Brock Lesnar could have been the biggest name in the WWE for this entire decade, but unlike others' liek Triple H that decide to rest on the name they made for themselves ten years ago, and ride it for all it's worth, Brock did what he wanted to do, and moved on.

This is a highly competive man, who has become a champion at nearly everything he has done. To piss on him because he "spit on the business" which is a load of crap if you ask me, considering he was granted an early release from the company when they could have said no. Yes, so lets condemn the man that instead of sitting on all of his successes, decided to risk it, and then become an even bigger name in an even bigger sport.

Brock Lesnar is a genetic freak, that in just two years forever changed the standard of what a prototypical wrestler should be. That is an impact, and it will be felt for a long time. Brock Lesnar, FTW.

Justin beat me to it as well, this sense of entitlement that wrestling fans feel they deserve is beyond ridiculous. You hear it all the time about guys like Rock, and Brock, and it's completely unjustified.

justinsayne likes this.
  16. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Well, all the stuff you said was true, IC. But it doesn't change the fact that when Brock brings it, he's better than them all. He's too big, too quick, too mean, too everything. Liger will give him some trouble at first, but it all ends when Lesnar takes his head off with a clothesline no less. Then it's destruction. Lesnar's a bitch in the business. He got his piece of the pie, ate it, and left...but one things for sure. He's a freak of nature. I called him, 'The Freak'. Because he just looked like he'd tear a NYC phone book in half, eat it, shit it out...all for irony.

Lesnar cruises in this match. The size and speed difference is too much for Liger.

Vote Lesnar. Even if he was a douche.

17. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Now take Justin for example. He's just completed the world's longest and hardest to read run-on sentence - if he decided that he wanted to take this accomplishment to a different forum, I'd lose a measure of respect for him.

:)

Anyway, I don't compare Lesnar to The Rock. Rock wrestled for several years, Brock for 2. TWO YEARS. Liger dominated his peers for over a decade on several continents. When Rock walked away, he did so pretty quietly until people started asking him questions. Brock flipped the fans in MSG off.

Think about that. In his last match, because the fans knew about it, he thanked them with a hearty middle finger. "You all spent money to see me for the last two years? Well guess what, I'm leaving, and while I'm at it, fuck you all." Ridiculous.

18. Shocky

And if the Garden crowd didn't act like jackasses the entire match about Brock leaving, then it wouldn't have been a problem. What exactly did you want out of the man. After all, he was the heel in the match. Brock Lesnar played that crowd to a T. The fingers were a nice touch, because guess who else was in the ring, Steve Austin. As soon as he was done flipping the crowd off, he gave the old double bird to Austin and got stunned for his trouble. The Garden crowd did what the garden crowd does, and that's act like a bunch of smarky bastards, and Brock worked the hell out of them.

Again, I still don't see how that has anything to do with Jushin Liger and his ability to beat Brock lesnar in a wrestling match. I'm not going to bury Liger in here, because I love Liger, but I can't see how the man matches up. Jim Duggan did his job for how many years, would you vote him over say Goldberg, who did most of his work from 98-00?

19. Checkmate

Checkmate .you.lose.

I just don't see any valid reason to vote against Lesnar here. He is what everyone says he is: Bigger and Stronger. He could likely eat anything Liger has to offer, shrug it off, and beat him to a pulp. I'm not saying Liger won't get some shots in, but this is a one sided matchup.

It makes me wish HBK had won last round. I think Shawn might have given Brock a little more of a run than Liger will. Not that I think Shawn would win, or that he should have beaten Liger, but just a thought. That has come and gone though, so I'll move back to the Brock/Liger match.

Someone mentioned the Guerrero situation, and while I agree, I also strongly disagree with that assesment. Guerrero beat Brock because of a few reasons:

1. Kayfabe: Goldberg.
    2. Kayfabe: Guerrero cheats.
    3. Non-Kayfabe: His contract situation.

I'm not saying that Brock CANNOT lose, as he will and should when the right circumstances occur. However, this is the Brock Lesnar that beat up both Hardy Boyz at the same time. This is the guy that beat the Rock for the title at Summerslam. The guy that threw the Undertaker around in Hell in a Cell. He F5'd the Big Show, and superplex'd him through the ring. I could keep going here, but won't for waste of text. All I see is Liger not standing up to Lesnar's offense.

All this proves to me is that Lesnar would beat Liger, then flip him off too. Why? Because he is Brock Lesnar, and he can.

20. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

No he didn't. If he wrestled till his contract was up then why did he sign another contract upon leaving stating that he wouldn't wrestle for another American based promotion? It's why there was a lawsuit between Lesnar & WWE. The lawsuit is also a partial reason why Lesnar didn't return to WWE after he didn't make it as an American Footballer.

Even so, he still wins the match.

21. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

It's amazing how many people have been completely worked by the WWE. You want to know what the difference between Umaga and Brock Lesnar is? Brock Lesnar left before the WWE made him lose. Everyone is saying Lesnar because he was BOOKED to win. If he had stayed for another 5 years, he would not have won as often, and he would have looked more human, and people would quit voting for him. You people have been completely worked by the WWE.

So, I just skimmed a few of the posts in this thread, and I couldn't believe some of the garbage I was seeing. Allow me to quote some...

On what planet is Lesnar better or more versatile? Liger has worked with cruiserweights, heavyweights and super heavyweights. He's put on great matches with many many wrestlers. He's won more titles than Lesnar has matches. He's won Match of the Year honors, best gimmick honors, best TECHNICAL WRESTLER honors, as well as being a Hall of Famer. Jushin Liger, along with Pillman, helped to popularize Cruiserweight wrestling in America, before there was even a Cruiserweight division.

On what planet is Lesnar a better or more versatile wrestler than Jushin Liger?
    Sure he should have. Just because he's from Japan, doesn't mean he isn't great.

Quit being racist.

This I will agree with. Lesnar is an overrated bore, that was nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Liger is a Hall of Famer, and is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.

I'm not a hardcore Liger fan, but I'll argue it.

Liger is quicker, faster, more experienced, more successful, better in-ring work, more exciting, more innovative, and a better storyteller.

Like this guy? [youtube]gP2UXDq028s[/youtube]

It amazes me how people are voting this tournament completely on kayfabe, and not on quality.

Yeah, and outside interference would never happen in ECW...

How about the fact that Liger was a better wrestler, not to mention more successful?

22. 48.7 is Approximately 49 Times Better Than You

I vote for Brock Lesnar because he is my favorite wrestler, actually. :p

I haven't been worked by anyone. When I see Lesnar, I see a man stronger than a bull, fast as men half his size, and with the technical ability of a collegiate wrestling champion. He has the look and he had the skill. Brock Lesnar was better than John Cena, he just didn't have the desire.

Umaga didn't receive half the push as Lesnar. He didn't deserve it. He was never as believable or as over as Lesnar. And how do you know that Lesnar wouldn't have won as often? Did you speak with the person that books his matches? No, you didn't. You know who wouldn't have won as often? John Cena wouldn't have won as often. He was their quick fix for Lesnar's departure.

I will vote for Lesnar regardless if he left the business; I'll vote for him regardless if he was only around for two years. You'll be hard pressed to find more dominant years.

23. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

Way to be objective. :rolleyes:

If Lesnar is your favorite, then yes you have.

And yet, was still a mediocre PROFESSIONAL wrestler.

Lesnar may have had more raw ability, but he was NEVER as good as Cena is now.

And Brock did? Tell me, what did Brock do to "deserve it"?

Because, it's how wrestling works these days. In the end, most wrestlers will generally end up around .500 winning percentage for their matches. A guy gets a push, so he'll win a bunch of matches, but then once he gets to the main-event, he levels off, so as to make everyone seem like a legitimate threat to each other.

It's the nature of professional wrestling.

How about a more dominant career? You know, like Liger has had?

24. 48.7 is Approximately 49 Times Better Than You

Why? I like Brock Lesnar. He entertained me. It's no different than if John Cena was my favorite.

Please explain why.

Brock also hasn't had seven years to hone his skills. Give Brock five more years and he's better than Cena is. In fact, Cena wouldn't be where he is right now if Lesnar were around.

[​IMG]

Oh, I see. Triple H only wins about half of his matches? Please.

He lost to the likes of Brian Pillman. That's dominance, right there.

25. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

OK, I appreciate you have other points. However, that's a terrible counterpoint. So... what; people are meant to vote for Liger on the off chance that... well, I don't know, Goldberg decides to come out and spear him again? Or are you implying that interference is an automatic occurrence in ECW and they keep the bWo on standby just in case someone looks a little too dominant?

Personally, I like how people are basing their votes from kayfabe. That's how I liked it last tournament, and that's how I like it this one. In kayfabe, Lesnar tears Liger a new one. And then another new one. And another. And another. And another. And another...

By the end, he looks like swiss cheese.