ECW Region, Third Round, Pure Rules Match: (6) Chris Jericho vs. (14) Rob Van Dam

Who Wins This Match?

• Chris Jericho

• Rob Van Dam

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is going to be my post for RVD in the event of a tie, well because alot of dumb kids will vote Jericho cuz he's 'cool'.

You know who is cool? Rob Van Dam. Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Jericho is a coward and will likely be forced to use his rope breaks faster than RVD would escaping the Walls. That puts Jericho in a bad position to get caught on a DQ. He is more of a hothead than our friend RVD. So that is one way he could lose.

Also, how can you ignore the fact RVD has a winning record against Jericho? This match is not who is better on the mic or who has had the most belts; its to determine who would beat the other man. RVD has done that more times so he has proven he can get the job done. Hell this is still in ECW so he also has the home field advantage. More people will get behind RVD and give him that extra boost of morale. Jericho doesnt have a whole lot of fans here that will cheer him over RVD.

If you dont listen to reason and vote based on the fact Jericho has already lost to RVD multiple times, then seriously think about the DQ situation.

Hell, if you still need a reason to vote RVD over Jericho, just listen to Coco, JGlass or JMT. They are right on the money with their posts. Vote RVD. Its the right thing to do. A vote for Jericho is a vote against America. You wouldnt want to let down and entire country would you?

Now lets get RVD to the next round so he has time for a smoke break.

I've pondered and deliberated, deliberated and pondered about this one and I keep coming back to Chris Jericho's one Achilles heel, he is the 'Best In The World At What He Does' and what he does best is put over guys, legitimizing their title reigns in the process - just look at the latest example, his feud with Punk. Had this bout been in any other region, this wouldn't have impacted on me as much and I would have gone with him because I would have seen this cursed chalice more beneficial in a later round. However, this is in ECW and, as such, the place where RVD would be the most beneficial participant to progress.

Even the fact that the stipulation seemingly benefits Y2J makes me think that RVD would be the sure in because you can almost hear Joey Styles voicing the commentators' kiss of death by harping on about Chris's submission game and the fact that this isn't the Whole f'n Show's forte.

RVD to confound the critics and progress via 5★ Frog Splash after overcoming a masterclass in working over a lower back.

All Jericho does, and has ever done, is frustrate his opponents. The inability to really leave the ring and grab the ropes will cost him, and I think that's a pretty big deal, but it's not why I'm voting RVD. I almost never vote RVD and I don't think he was very good. Sometimes, you have to accept that a wrestler has another sussed out. With the audience on his side and with his record against Jericho in his pocket, RVD would win.

Wait a minute. What inability to leave the ring? Jericho has a 20 count outside. That means more time outside the ring, not less.

20 years from now when I'm recalling my favorite wrestlers, these two will be somewhere near in my mind. 2 guys who made an impact for me in the mid 90s, I appreciate what both these men have done. With that said,this match has to be RVD's. The Pure Rules stipulation seems like it would be an advantage for Jericho, but I see it as a way to legitamize RVD from the "spot monkey" label a lot of you have gave him.

The rope break stipulation is interesting. Jericho is known to be more "technical", but aside from the Walls, all his submissions are basically rest holds that RVD can fight out of. And if you gonna tell me Jericho's gonna put the Walls on RVD 4 times, you're wrong. 3 rope breaks is more than enough for RVD. Also, RVD wants a fast paced match here. Y2J can hang, but he'll be playing into RVD's hands doing so. So I can see him using the rope breaks just to slow the match down. Rope break: even.

20 second count? Even: no one will get counted out, but I see that rule allowing RVD the time to pander to the crowd & really get under Jericho's skin. You know, RVD hits a springboard moonsault to the outside, walks around a little, R...V...D(points to shoulders). Crowd gets behind Mr. 4:20.

Career wise, only thing Jericho has going for him over RVD is mic ability & a better business acumen to keep him afloat the fans favorite. One thing that keeps him loved is the fact that he leaves, which keeps him fresh. RVD's out of ring activities may keep him out of places, but whereever he shows up, he's an INSTANT title contender. You can use Jericho's recent run with Punk as an example for this fact being true for him, but after his return, it should be looked at as filler & talent enhancement.

Jericho used his last run to "enhance" the name of Mysterio & Evan Bourne. He's used this run to "enhance" Punk and, to an extent, Kofi Kingston. Most of those guys are considered "spot monkeys" who always use the talkative heels to get over. I see the buildup like this

Y2J: "Weedhead can't beat me in this match. Its Pure Rules. I'm the Best in the World at What I Do. This match is gift wrapped for me!
RVD: "Rob...Van...Dam(points to shoulders)"
Y2J: "Once you're in the Walls & I dispose you of your rope breaks, you will submit!"
RVD: "Rob...Van...Dam((points to shoulders)"

After wearing down Van Dam, Jericho goes for a superplex. Rob kicks him off, 5 STAR FROG SPLASH! RVD proves that he can win clean or extreme.

For shame.

Rob Van Dam and Chris Jericho have gone back and forth over their careers. When it came to things like the Intercontinental Championship, Jericho picked up the wins. But when things like contendership for the World Championship were on the line, RVD came out victorious not once, but twice. RVD has wins over Jericho AFTER Y2J "beat Rock and Stone Cold in the same night". And that was years before RVD even hit his prime within the WWE, capturing the WWE Title and successfully defending it against Edge. And if he hadn't had a drug arrest charge keeping him from defending the belts, a lot of people speculate he would have been a lot more successful in the WWE.

Now I'm one of the biggest Jericho marks you're ever going to meet (or at least I was), but even I'm not going to give him a win over Rob Van Dam, pure rules or not, in ECW. It's not like he won every match during his time there, or that he was even at his peak during those years, but its not likely they'll book him to lose against an outsider like Jericho, no matter how damn good Y2J may or may not be.

VOTE: Rob Van Dam

I've already voted but I just want to point out how ridiculous it is that RVD beat Harley Race but is getting dominated by Chris Jericho........really?

Now, to be clear, I supported Race in that matchup and thought he should have won, but is this to say that people find Jericho to be that much greater than Harley Race? If so, that's laughable. Just saying.

I mean, Jericho should win this matchup because RVD shouldn't even be here, but the chain of events here is just plain weird.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3890120 said:
For shame.

The shame is your recollection of history....

Now I'm one of the biggest Jericho marks you're ever going to meet (or at least I was),

Then how could you make this statement?

but even I'm not going to give him a win over Rob Van Dam, pure rules or not, in ECW. It's not like he won every match during his time there, or that he was even at his peak during those years, but its not likely they'll book him to lose against an outsider like Jericho, no matter how damn good Y2J may or may not be.

You do realize that Jericho wrestled in ECW for 6 months, and was the TV champion during his time there, correct? That same TV championship that people tout as being the "real deal" when Van Dam held it over the ECW Title? In fact, Van Dam and Jericho were roommates in ECW, and had their first respective matches in ECW against one another.

All of that is being said to clarify for the misinformed who would read this and believe that Jericho would be going into ECW and wrestle as some outsider with a huge disadvantage in hostile fans. This isn't John Cena vs RVD, this is a guy who actually broke onto the national stage because his work in ECW was noticed by WCW.

Anyway, this match goes to Chris Jericho for me. Better overall wrestler, and if you throw being an "innovator" out the window, he has RVD outclassed in every way. Their head to head record is virtually a wash, and Jericho has submissions in his arsenal. Even the super-flexible RVD is going to tap to the Liontamer, which was Jericho's submission...in ECW. Jericho is winning this, as he should be.

I was real close to voting RVD based on his history with Jericho. RVD did beat Jericho a few times in 2001 and 2002 but Jericho kept getting better over the years as RVD fizzled. RVD was hot for maybe a year in WWE but after that he was pretty mediocre. If Jericho retired in 2002 I would vote RVD. Jericho’s stock continued to rise after 2002 while RVD’s fell hard.

Jericho has always been a cowardly heel (look at his current run against CM Punk no less) that means he was using rope breaks and going outside the ring a lot, this means he will likely use his rope breaks up very early on.

RVD on the other hand is very athletic, meaning he will have a good chance of breaking out of the Walls Of Jericho. Also RVD's offence is flat out more powerful than Jericho's. RVD's offence generally centres on the mid section of the body meaning he'll concentrate on that area before going for a five star frog splash.

No way in hell RVD wins.Match type suits jericho well.He's a hart dungeon graduate.RVD in his prime was never even close to what chris jericho was.Those who say RVDs agile,jericho aint too far behind.And jerichos smarter than RVD.Match favours jericho. RVD shouldnt have gone over Race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back