ECW Region, Third Round, Pure Rules Match: (6) Chris Jericho vs. (14) Rob Van Dam

Who Wins This Match?

• Chris Jericho

• Rob Van Dam

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a third round match in the ECW Region. It is a pure rules match. It will be held at the Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

6a0120a6dde087970b0133f3850f2d970b-500wi

Rules:
  • Each wrestler has three rope breaks to stop submission holds and pinfalls during the match. After a wrestler exhausts his rope breaks, submission and pin attempts under the ropes by the opponent are considered legal.
  • There are no closed-fist punches to the face allowed in a Pure match, only open-handed slaps or chops to the face are allowed. Punches to other parts of the body (save for low-blows) are permitted. The first use of a closed fist will get a warning, and the second will cause the wrestler to be penalized a rope break. If he is already out of rope breaks, he will be disqualified.
  • A wrestler is subject to a twenty count by the referee if the wrestler goes to the floor.

Chris-Jericho-jerishow-8969719-624-388.jpg

#6. Chris Jericho

Vs.

img_1347.jpg

#14. Rob Van Dam

This match takes place one week after round 2.

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Easy win for Van Dam. Jericho is accustomed to the closed fist while Van Dam specializes in forearm strikes. And have you seen RVD's German and Northern Lights suplexes? Picture perfect and highly underrated. Heck, just two weeks ago, Van Dam won number one contendership with one of the prettiest backslides I've ever seen. The man has what it takes to wrestle under pure rules. Exactly why don't we think he'll best Jericho like he did on a consistent basis when the two wrestled in the same company, at the same level, around the time Jericho was Undisputed Champion? Pure rules don't favour Jericho. Don't let your (moronic) intuition fool you.

Vote: RVD

Aside from a few alterations, this is basically a standard wrestling match and I've no doubt it'd be a great one to watch. Generally speaking, these two are evenly matched physically. They're about the same size, probably about the same level of physical strength, probably even in speed, I'd give an advantage to RVD in terms of agility. I don't necessarily look for the stipulation of the match to give either guy a particular advantage.

RVD is the more accomplished high flyer of the two while Jericho has a much better overall game. Jericho's certainly the superior grappler on the mat and if he can counter or take away RVD's high flying offense, especially while avoiding the Five Star Frog Splash, then this match is his to win. The FSFS is really RVD's ace in the hole and if Jericho can avoid being hit, then he takes it in my opinion. I see Jericho hooking the Walls of Jericho onto RVD at least twice in this match, with RVD able to get to the ropes both times. I could see the ending come with Jericho taking advantage of a momentary distraction of the referee's attention, possibly a minor ref bump but nothing to take him out. Just enough to cause him to turn his face away from the match. I see Jericho delivering a low blow while the ref isn't looking, then hitting the Codebreaker for the win around the 20 minute mark.

Chris Jericho.

Taking the first rule listed in the a Pure wrestling contest, take into consideration the intelligence Jericho has shown, whether it be a heel or a face in a wrestling ring. An example is as recent as Wrestlemania, knowing that Punk was under the rule that by getting himself disqualified Jericho berated him with insults about his father and sister in-order to infuriate Punk, and it almost worked. Coming into this, Jericho would attempt to exhaust the rope breaks as best he could, his submission prowess is an advantage as there are only so few ways a wrestler can escape, the norm is crawling to the bottom rope. Another factor is, Chris would work the lower back area, that is a given. He'd have weakened Van Dam to such an extent he'd have no other alternative but to break with the ropes.

Second rule, although Chris is more accustomed to closed fist punches to the forehead, he also uses a diverse range of chops and has previously used open handed slaps. Van Dam's offense is based mostly around kicks, elbows and athletic advantage, so this really is square down the middle. I could see a heel Jericho delivering a couple closed fist punches but he can afford the warning and rope break. Van Dam would give Jericho very little reason to reach for the ropes unless in a desperation situation, considering Van Dam's lack of submission ability.

Final rule is irrelevant in some cases. Both men aren't known for getting counted out. Jericho would be more accustomed to taking the cheap victory than Van Dam but only on rare occasions, this weeks RAW could be taken into equation but that was against a bigger man. Van Dam is about the same height and weight, so again, doesn't hold much signifigance.

And finally, basing it off their meetings in the past, something I found interesting is that they've actually got a pretty even amount of wins against the other each. Online World of Wrestling shows the last time they met, they wrestled twice on one episode of RAW, Jericho picked up the win, Stone Cold ordered a rematch in a Steel Cage and Van Dam took the second meeting on the night.

They've exchanged four other singles matches prior to that, Jericho beat twice and Van Dam beat Jericho twice so therefore they're even. So someone insinuating Van Dam has a better record in singles matches over Jericho is irrelevant when they'd the same number of victories over the other, each. You could take tag team matches into account, where both men are on opposing teams but that wouldn't hold much weight. So this is far more even than some would assume.

Winner for me is Jericho.

The biggest alteration for these matches are the rules on rope breaks and closed fists. True, Jericho likes punches, but he's also a very smart competitor. I could see Jericho adapting. So that leaves rope breaks. Rope breaks are most important when used with submission holds. Rob Van Dam has never (to my knowledge) used a submission move as a finishing move. Jericho of course has the Walls of Jericho and it's more dangerous counterpart, the Liontamer.

Jericho is also a better wrestler. I'm a fan of Van Dam, but on the whole, I'm a bigger fan of Jericho's. So, when all's said an done, I say Jericho wins in one of the better matches of this tournament.

Chris Jericho is better than Rob Van Dam in every single way besides high-flying, top rope moves and hardcore. Since only one out of those two apply here, and since Jericho is a submission master, the Pure rules allows Jericho to catch RVD in multiple submission holds until rope breaks no longer count. Jericho would out-wrestle RVD up until that point, wearing him out, and then slap on the Walls of Jericho/Lion Tamer where RVD would have nowhere to go.

Besides seeing the match go that way, Jericho is a more established star than RVD, has won more championships against deadlier opponents, and had wins over more high-rated opponents than RVD. I can't see RVD winning a match against Jericho unless the odds were in his favor by gaining a stipulation that plays to his strengths, which isn't the case here.

If anything, this match favors Jericho. RVD will likely throw more kicks (since closed fists are illegal) and Jericho has probably turned more kicks into his finisher than any wrestler in history. Once again, RVD will be caught in the Walls of Jericho and will be forced to tap out, eventually.

RVD is dead in the water here.

Just looked it up and RVD is 5-2-1 against Chris Jericho in singles matches against him, not counting house shows. See for yourself at the link below...

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/r/rob-van-dam.html

That listing is missing their Unforgiven match in 2001, but I added it to RVD's record above. If they're missing any other matches, feel free to say something, though I doubt it'll make much of a difference.

You should also note that Jericho's two victories were by him cheating.

So, yeah... kayfabe argument goes to RVD all day, every day. There's simply no arguing it. You can pull some bullshit out of your ass about Jericho not being in his prime at that time, but give me a break. RVD beat the Jericho that beat Steve Austin and The Rock in the same night to become the very first Undisputed Champion. That is prime Chris Jericho, my friends.

Now, accomplishments... Jericho has a slight edge. He has more World Title wins and has been able to remain a big name in WWE for longer than RVD has.

That said, it's not a wash in that aspect. RVD still has one of the most accomplished careers of this era. I ran them all down in the Harley Race thread, so look there if you want to see it.

So, RVD has the HUGE advantage kayfabe wise, and Jericho has the slight advantage career wise. Overall body of work, while I would take RVD's best matches over Jericho's any day of the week, I'll say those two are tied in that aspect just to be fair.

Basically, it comes down to the kayfabe argument, and RVD wins without any shadow of a doubt and no one could ever possibly argue against it.

Bottom line, there's absolutely no reason to not vote RVD, unless you're a massive Jericho fan or a ******ed RVD hater. Either way, if you don't vote RVD, then you are wrong.

Just looked it up and RVD is 5-2-1 against Chris Jericho in singles matches against him, not counting house shows. See for yourself at the link below...

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/r/rob-van-dam.html

Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Jericho at Unforgiven 2001
Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Jericho in the Semi-finals of the KOTR
Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Jericho with help from Ric Flair..
Chris Jericho defeated Rob Van Dam to win the IC title after distraction from Triple H!
Chris Jericho defeated Rob Van Dam to capture the IC title (Steve Austin ordered a rematch!)
Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Jericho in a STEEL CAGE MATCH to recapture the Intercontinental title the same night he lost it!

In-terms of this match and under Pure rules, Steel Cage means very little. Van Dam has a victory over Jericho due to a distraction, Jericho pinned Van Dam clean in the first ever Elimination Chamber and not to mention, if you include Jericho eliminating Van Dam last in an Over The Top Battle Royal, it makes things more-or-less even. As I examined Van Dam's results I took notice that Jericho was usually on the winning side in tag team bouts too.

So in reality, there is no reason to not vote Chris Jericho there's absolutely no reason to not vote Jericho. Unless you're a massive RVD fan or a ******ed Jericho hater. Either way, if you don't vote logically, then you're wrong.

Both are great athlete's. You can't take nothing away from both wrestlers. This would go down to the wire. Jericho would use any dirty tatic to win. Both wrestlers would use three of their rope breaks. Jericho gets frustrated because RVD wont give up in the fight. The ref goes down, RVD tries to get the ref to get up. Jericho sneaks behind RVD and low blows him. Jericho gets RVD in the Walls. RVD is under the ropes, since he is all out of his rope breaks, RVD has no choice but to tap out.

In a great match up, My vote is Chris Jericho.

Rob Van Dam is a spot monkey. Period. His 'educated feet' and Rolling thunder' will be no match to Chris Jericho, who's wrestled in every major wrestling area around the world. Japan? Check. Mexico? Check. Europe? Check. North America?... I mean you see where I'm going with this.

RVD's dependent on high flying and kicking, and doesn't do Pure Wrestling from what I've seen. Jericho CAN do pure wrestling and would be very capable of following the rules here. Also, submissions play a big role in this bout... and RVD doesn't have a submission that I'm aware of. Jericho has a good in his arsenal.

It'll be a classic bout, but RVD's way too overrated on these boards. I know his moves are impressive, but some say Jeff Hardy's are, too.

Chris Jericho via Liontamer to make ol' RVD pass out.

Jericho all the way! If theres on thing the guy can do its pure wrestling!! Lionheart all the way!! RVD would put up a goood fight, but everythings in Jericho's favour!!

Jericho in a pure wrestling match. Jericho would beat RVD in this match RVD is good but not at the level of Jericho technically speaking. Jericho is a 6 time world champion whereas RVD is a 3 time world champ which includes 2 week reigns and a TNA world title reign. Vote Jericho

This is still in the ECW region, which is still RVD's domain. The stipulations slightly favour Jericho, but not so much that RVD is completely out of it.

I give the edge to RVD. Jericho puts up a good fight and I can see him taking cheap shots behind the ref's back, but I don't think Jericho could beat RVD in an ECW ring.

RVD by frog splash.

Chris Jericho is better than Rob Van Dam in every single way besides high-flying, top rope moves and hardcore. Since only one out of those two apply here, and since Jericho is a submission master, the Pure rules allows Jericho to catch RVD in multiple submission holds until rope breaks no longer count. Jericho would out-wrestle RVD up until that point, wearing him out, and then slap on the Walls of Jericho/Lion Tamer where RVD would have nowhere to go.

Besides seeing the match go that way, Jericho is a more established star than RVD, has won more championships against deadlier opponents, and had wins over more high-rated opponents than RVD. I can't see RVD winning a match against Jericho unless the odds were in his favor by gaining a stipulation that plays to his strengths, which isn't the case here.

If anything, this match favors Jericho. RVD will likely throw more kicks (since closed fists are illegal) and Jericho has probably turned more kicks into his finisher than any wrestler in history. Once again, RVD will be caught in the Walls of Jericho and will be forced to tap out, eventually.

You had me laughing for a while with this nugget right here. Let's look at some of the all-time greats that Jericho has made submit in the past seven or so years: Lawler, Maven, Simon Dean, Steven Richards, Chad Patton, and let's not forget the legend of Daivari. Hell, Cena's more of a submissions master than Jericho is.

Give me RVD. You can't sell me on the fact that Jericho has been a better champion than RVD. Other than beating Stone Cold and Rock on the same night, everything else has been pretty forgettable especially his IC title reigns. RVD has always been more over than Jericho and he's come out with the win over Y2J more often than not.

You had me laughing for a while with this nugget right here. Let's look at some of the all-time greats that Jericho has made submit in the past seven or so years: Lawler, Maven, Simon Dean, Steven Richards, Chad Patton, and let's not forget the legend of Daivari. Hell, Cena's more of a submissions master than Jericho is.

Why are you only going back to the last 7 years when Jericho has been a part time performer and added a new finisher to his arsenal? Probably because if you go back further then you have to include names like Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy, Eddie Guerrero, Edge, Kurt Angle, and RVD himself. All of those guys have tapped to Jericho.

I could go on for a while about why this is RVD's match to lose, but instead I'll just deal with the poor mislead souls that think Jericho has a snowball's chance in hell.

Taking the first rule listed in the a Pure wrestling contest, take into consideration the intelligence Jericho has shown, whether it be a heel or a face in a wrestling ring. An example is as recent as Wrestlemania, knowing that Punk was under the rule that by getting himself disqualified Jericho berated him with insults about his father and sister in-order to infuriate Punk, and it almost worked. Coming into this, Jericho would attempt to exhaust the rope breaks as best he could, his submission prowess is an advantage as there are only so few ways a wrestler can escape, the norm is crawling to the bottom rope. Another factor is, Chris would work the lower back area, that is a given. He'd have weakened Van Dam to such an extent he'd have no other alternative but to break with the ropes.

Chris Jericho has also displayed that he's a coward for a good portion of his career, so he'd probably exhaust all three of his rope breaks trying to escape from Rob Van Dam's kicks.

And Jericho could work the back... if he had any type of move that would lend itself to working the lower back in this type of match. The reality is Jericho has always struggled against RVD and this match stipulation isn't going to do him any favors.

Second rule, although Chris is more accustomed to closed fist punches to the forehead, he also uses a diverse range of chops and has previously used open handed slaps. Van Dam's offense is based mostly around kicks, elbows and athletic advantage, so this really is square down the middle. I could see a heel Jericho delivering a couple closed fist punches but he can afford the warning and rope break. Van Dam would give Jericho very little reason to reach for the ropes unless in a desperation situation, considering Van Dam's lack of submission ability.

Square down the middle? HA! Nice try, but the striking advantage lies solidly on Rob Van Dam's side. RVD's kicks have been known to bloody opponents. Jericho's punches have been known to look like shit. And Jericho can't afford to lose those rope breaks, as those are the only things that are going to get him away from one of those flurries of kicks that RVD is accustomed to delivering.

Final rule is irrelevant in some cases. Both men aren't known for getting counted out. Jericho would be more accustomed to taking the cheap victory than Van Dam but only on rare occasions, this weeks RAW could be taken into equation but that was against a bigger man. Van Dam is about the same height and weight, so again, doesn't hold much signifigance.

I think the point of the third rule is that nobody will be counted out, so this really is a push. I'm glad you're not trying to sell this as some weird Jericho advantage, it shows you're not a total ignoramus.

And finally, basing it off their meetings in the past, something I found interesting is that they've actually got a pretty even amount of wins against the other each. Online World of Wrestling shows the last time they met, they wrestled twice on one episode of RAW, Jericho picked up the win, Stone Cold ordered a rematch in a Steel Cage and Van Dam took the second meeting on the night.

Pretty even? No, Rob Van Dam holds a ridiculous advantage, and I have no idea where you're getting the tag team stats from, because from what I could tell Rob Van Dam has the advantage there too, albeit a slight one. Regardless, RVD has Jericho's number in singles matches. I'm not going to delve into specifics because Sam and jmt have already done that, and I'm not looking to be tedious here, but the fact is you're lying.

Chris Jericho is better than Rob Van Dam in every single way besides high-flying, top rope moves and hardcore.

RVD has more devastating strikes, he's more flexible, he's more agile, he's more evasive, he's probably stronger... what advantage does Jericho have over RVD again?

Since only one out of those two apply here, and since Jericho is a submission master,

How do you figure?

the Pure rules allows Jericho to catch RVD in multiple submission holds until rope breaks no longer count. Jericho would out-wrestle RVD up until that point, wearing him out, and then slap on the Walls of Jericho/Lion Tamer where RVD would have nowhere to go.

Jericho couldn't out wrestle RVD if RVD came to the ring high off his ass, which isn't far from the realm of possibility. If Jericho shot for a takedown, he'd get kneed in the face. If he tries to work him over up top, he gets kicked in the face. Either way, he winds up getting bloodied no matter what he tries to do.

Good thing this is a wrestling match, and not a pissing contest.

If anything, this match favors Jericho. RVD will likely throw more kicks (since closed fists are illegal) and Jericho has probably turned more kicks into his finisher than any wrestler in history.

And RVD has turned more caught kicks into enveguris and mule kicks than any wrestler this side of the boarder.

Once again, RVD will be caught in the Walls of Jericho and will be forced to tap out, eventually.

Except I reckon Rob Van Dam is flexible enough that he can escape the Walls or Liontamer fairly easily, at least compared to most wrestlers.

And let's not forget how easily the Walls are avoided: we see Jericho's opponents regularly use their leg strength to toss Jericho away before he can flip them over, and RVD has some of the strongest legs in the industry.

Ha! Hardly. Jericho won't have a leg to stand on here, especially after Rob Van Dam kicks his leg out from underneath his leg.

The only part of this match that favours Van Dam is the fact that closed fist punches are illegal, but that is just a minor fact. Chris Jericho is easily smart enough to adapt his game to overcome the fact he can't punch RVD in the face.

As a straight up match I would struggle to pick a winner here, as it would be very evenly matched. However, the fact that a wrestler only has 3 rope breaks before they don't count certainly favours Y2J, a guy who has won countless matches over the years using the Walls of Jericho/Liontamer submission hold. If he can wear down Van Dam's lower back during the match, then RVD is easy prey for the tap out defeat when he has used up his rope breaks. Jericho is a far smarter competitor than Van Dam, and is the smart pick here.

Winner: Chris Jericho

What makes me laugh is how you live and die by this "statistical" website every single year and think it can be the basis of every argument during matchups in the Wrestlezone tournament. "X defeated Y so that = Z." It's the silliest and most ignorant argument to make.

Now, any sane person with a thought in their brain would wonder WHY superstars don't tap out to the Walls. If you look at history, the majority of escapers have gotten out due to rope breaks. The remainder of superstars have powered out and they normally out-size and out-power Jericho. RVD is the same height as Jericho and weighs 15lbs more so that argument is null and void.

All that being said, just like I explained clearly in my earlier post, during Jericho's first few attempts at the Walls of Jericho, RVD would probably crawl to a rope break. But once you take away those rope breaks (being that this is a Pure rules match), RVD is trapped and has no choice but to tap.

Give me RVD. You can't sell me on the fact that Jericho has been a better champion than RVD. Other than beating Stone Cold and Rock on the same night, everything else has been pretty forgettable especially his IC title reigns.

Yeah, that's brilliant. He's had completely forgettable IC title reigns... all nine of them. He was so forgettable that he holds the record for the most reigns. Not to mention his forgettable 140 day championship run in the tag division with the Big Show where they defeated powerhouse teams such as the Legacy and Rey Mysterio & Batista. And you call Jericho's WWE world championship runs forgettable, and yet RVD won the title once for 22 days. It seems to me that you need to open a dictionary and look up the definition of forgettable.

RVD has always been more over than Jericho and he's come out with the win over Y2J more often than not.

I can put up a pretty strong argument about Jericho's popularity in the late 90's into the early 2000's just in the WWE alone but I don't need to. His global popularity is enough to dwarf anything that RVD did in ECW, WWE, and TNA combined.

You have to stop thinking like only one promotion has ever existed on this planet (WWE.) More fans have seen pro-wrestling in Japan than in TNA and ECW. That alone makes Jericho leaps and bounds ahead of RVD in popularity. And to ignore his accomplishments in all of those different, global promotions is a complete joke.

LJL you really need to start thinking outside of the 2ft x 2ft box that you live in during the WZ Tournament. Anyone with half a brain can disprove your completely transparent and weak arguments.

Not sure who I am going to vote for but I thought I'd talk about some criteria generally.

Pure rules: This doesn't seem to do anything but eventually take away the rope break for RVD as an option. If RVD wasn't one of the most flexible competitors ever then I would be more worried about it. I'd characterize it as a slight advantage for Jericho.

Accomplishments/career: Jericho has the advantage here. RVD has his fair share of diverse accomplishments but Jericho had more top spots.

ECW: This match is still in ECW. It might be called a pure rules match but there doesn't seem to be any rules against using weapons, top rope moves or anything like that. Also RVD was pretty dominant in ECW. Jericho isn't a slouch with weapons but he isn't particularly adept with them either. Significant advantage RVD.

Not only was RVD dominant in ECW he hasn't ever really been a guy that lost a lot. Jericho does lose a lot even if he has more accomplishments. While Jericho was owned by the top guy Cena, RVD managed to come in and beat him for the title in, you guessed it, ECW. Although if we go back to Jericho's prime years I saw he submitted RVD for the IC championship not once but twice. That could be some damning evidence although it isn't like RVD did not defeat him as well during that time. Kayfabe neutral.

Seems like this match comes down to what wins out Jericho's 5th submission attempt or RVD doing something crazy high flying with weapons that Jericho won't get up from. It is in Philly so I guess I slightly lean towards RVD at the moment but I am not sure overall yet.

ECW: This match is still in ECW. It might be called a pure rules match but there doesn't seem to be any rules against using weapons, top rope moves or anything like that. Also RVD was pretty dominant in ECW. Jericho isn't a slouch with weapons but he isn't particularly adept with them either. Significant advantage RVD.

There are no weapons allowed in a pure rules match. It doesn't specifically say no weapons in the opening post but it insinuates that considering superstars can be both counted out and disqualified. If you are going to get disqualified for a low blow then it's safe to assume you can't use weapons.

Chris Jericho has also displayed that he's a coward for a good portion of his career, so he'd probably exhaust all three of his rope breaks trying to escape from Rob Van Dam's kicks.

Van Dam isn't known for throwing a flurry of kick which would result in the need for a rope break. Van Dam is known for varying his offense based on elbows, kicks such as the Spinning Crescent Kick, Step Over Heel, Top Rope Kick, aerial and ground based athletic moves. A rope break is Jericho ducking under the rope, I don't think Van Dam's typical offense would call for this.

And Jericho could work the back... if he had any type of move that would lend itself to working the lower back in this type of match. The reality is Jericho has always struggled against RVD and this match stipulation isn't going to do him any favors.

Everybody struggles against Van Dam. But Jericho has defeated Van Dam. Jericho has countless moves that work the lower spine of an opponent, Underhook into a Backbreaker, multiple Suplex variations, ground based submissions such as a chin lock which Jericho usually applies while driving the knee into the back of Van Dam; this has recently been the case at Wrestlemania, and how many times has Punk been locked into the Walls and been forced to crawl for the ropes? About two or three times. Once again, suits Jericho better, not saying Van Dam couldn't win.

Square down the middle? HA! Nice try, but the striking advantage lies solidly on Rob Van Dam's side. RVD's kicks have been known to bloody opponents. Jericho's punches have been known to look like shit. And Jericho can't afford to lose those rope breaks, as those are the only things that are going to get him away from one of those flurries of kicks that RVD is accustomed to delivering.

I've been watching Van Dam since his ECW days and he very rarely comes out with a flurry of kicks, his usual sequence is two Muay Thai's to the torso/chest followed by the Spinning Crescent. This doesn't give Jericho a need to run for the ropes. I've seen him unleash a flurry, but rarely. Jericho's punches have bloodied opponents, his main way of offense against Shawn Michaels at the Great American Bash 2008 was by punches and Michaels was left motionless come the final bell.

But those were closed fist punches. Jericho was a typical user of the open handed slap back in WCW. He routinely uses chops, kicks are in his arsenal just not very athletic ones; however I do point out the stepping Enziguri. Jericho has the same credibility here as Van Dam does.

I think the point of the third rule is that nobody will be counted out, so this really is a push. I'm glad you're not trying to sell this as some weird Jericho advantage, it shows you're not a total ignoramus.

McGuinness would allows try to leave his opponent; usually Danielson, immobilized on the outside of the ring to gain the win via count-out so it's a tactic more suited for a heel. But I don't see either Jericho or Van Dam extracting that.

Pretty even? No, Rob Van Dam holds a ridiculous advantage, and I have no idea where you're getting the tag team stats from, because from what I could tell Rob Van Dam has the advantage there too, albeit a slight one. Regardless, RVD has Jericho's number in singles matches. I'm not going to delve into specifics because Sam and jmt have already done that, and I'm not looking to be tedious here, but the fact is you're lying.

I made an error in my opening post when viewing the Online World of Wrestling record for Van Dam and Jericho. Which I corrected, but I do notice the theme on the record where Jericho & whoever reign over Van Dam's theme, outside of Van Dam's aliegence with Kane he wasn't as consistent beating Jericho in tag team matches. However that was just me stating it, was never mean't to be taken in the context of Jericho/Van Dam, just something to consider.

I'm not flat-out stating, "Van Dam can't win", he very well can. But this match suits Jericho's form of offense more. He is a lot better as a striker than you've given him credit for. Van Dam has rarely ever used a submission hold and this leaves him with only one option in-terms of exhausting rope breaks which is unleashing numerous flurries of kicks/elbows. He isn't one to usually come out with a flurry of kicks despite what you've said, he has done, but it isn't a routine form of offense for him, I've stated his typical sequence above. Jericho catches more kicks and turns it into the Walls of Jericho than any wrestler does going today in two top companies. Count-outs don't really carry much weight in this and as I admitted, Van Dam has an edge in-terms of wins/losses.

But Jericho's beaten Van Dam in the past. Whether he be using sly tactics is irrelevant, because he could easily strike with a low blow here and hit a Codebreaker when the referee isn't looking. He has an advantage in-terms of rope breaks; I'm not saying Van Dam isn't capable of winning, just I think Jericho is more suited to taking this.

I'm amazed anyone thinks RVD can win this. Jericho is dungeon trained, this is the guy who took down Goldberg in a legit fight. I don't even like Jericho but he's far superior to the spot monkey with the ineffective offense. RVD doesn't stand a chance in hell

There are no weapons allowed in a pure rules match. It doesn't specifically say no weapons in the opening post but it insinuates that considering superstars can be both counted out and disqualified. If you are going to get disqualified for a low blow then it's safe to assume you can't use weapons.

That is not insinuated at all. Being counted out has nothing to do with whether weapons are allowed. You really want me to believe that in an ECW match they are giving guys even more time outside the ring than in a normal match and at no time someone is going to pick up a weapon out there? The DQ is only specified for breaking the listed rule of closed fist punches. No rule against weapons is listed.

I'm amazed anyone thinks RVD can win this. Jericho is dungeon trained, this is the guy who took down Goldberg in a legit fight. I don't even like Jericho but he's far superior to the spot monkey with the ineffective offense. RVD doesn't stand a chance in hell

Anyone that thinks RVD's kicks are "ineffective" clearly isn't credible.

That is not insinuated at all. Being counted out has nothing to do with whether weapons are allowed. You really want me to believe that in an ECW match they are giving guys even more time outside the ring than in a normal match and at no time someone is going to pick up a weapon out there? The DQ is only specified for breaking the listed rule of closed fist punches. No rule against weapons is listed.

It also mentions that low blows are prohibited. I've never seen a match where you couldn't use closed fist punches, couldn't use low blows, but then weapons were allowed. It makes no sense to prohibit closed fist punches but allow guys to swing chairs at each others heads. To my knowledge there has never been a pure rules match with weapons allowed.

This is still in the ECW region, which is still RVD's domain. The stipulations slightly favour Jericho, but not so much that RVD is completely out of it.

I give the edge to RVD. Jericho puts up a good fight and I can see him taking cheap shots behind the ref's back, but I don't think Jericho could beat RVD in an ECW ring.

RVD by frog splash.

Dude, ECW arena means Jack shit in Pure rules. The hardcore element is removed. I really think the point of the pure rules was to stop any of that which would give RVD an advantage in ECW.

Jericho is better suited to this.

Jericho wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back