ECW Region, San Jose Subregion, First Round: (15) Scott Steiner vs. (18)Pedro Morales

Who wins this match?

• Scott Steiner

• Pedro Morales

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, San Jose Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.

1744.jpg

Scott-Steiner-psd53821.png

#15. Scott Steiner

Vs.

pedromorales.jpg

#18. Pedro Morales

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Yeesh. Two pretty abysmal world champions, who were otherwise highly competent when placed lower down the card. Purely for the fact that his utter ridiculousness as a human being as provided me with a lot of laughs over the years, the fact that Morales was never as over as any of his contemporary champions and the fact that thanks to his early career he'll probably leave more of a trace of his existence, I'm going with Steiner.

I'm really biased because I just plain hate Scott Steiner but I think Pedro (while also a really lackluster wrestler IMO) has a better resume. The first ever WWE triple crown champion and long time territory traveler. Steiner had a great run as a tag teamer with his brother, but he was pretty bad in his singles career.

Morales wins because he outlasts Steiner in the ring and in his career. Just more impressive overall.

I'm not even going to try to be unbiased here, because it just isn't possible for me to do it...I LOATHE Scott Steiner, especially once he adopted his "Big Poppa Pump" gimmick. That being said, I was always a fan of Morales, but I can't see him going over Steiner. Morales was a good solid hand in the ring, and ruled the midcard for many a year, but was just never quite over enough to stay in the main event for very long. I believe it was Pedros' inability to draw well that caused Vince McMahon Sr. to persuade Bruno to carry the belt again for a second title reign, in spite of the fact that Sammartino was eager to pass the torch and wrestle a lighter schedule. Steiner had more than a little bit of fame as a first class tag team wrestler before moving on to a solo career, and probably drew a bit more than Pedro. So, as much as it pains me, I give this one to Steiner, even if he is a bag of shit. Poppa Pump moves on, and hopefully not too much further.

Scott Steiner is a nutcase a certifiable nutjob almost as out of his mind as that moron Shane Douglas. This is a no DQ no countout anything goes match Steiner would destroy Morales. Morales you are out of your depth son you might of been a good wrestler who just didn't have that little bit extra to be a maineventer and carry the WWF but Steiner would destroy you in this match type regardless.

The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for Morales. Steiner has had a large effect on the wrestling world in the sub sector of the internet. He's a bit of a hero because of his unique brand of idiocy, which is great fun to watch. I don't know anybody still talking about Morales with the same fondness. I'm confident Steiner could manipulate maths enough to make it so he had a 141 and two thirds, or whatever the fuck it was, percentage chance of winning this match. So really Morales doesn't stand a chance against the genetic freak and he should get his bags.

Pedro Morales was a champion everywhere he went. A god among Latinos all over. The first ever WWE Triple Crown Champion. He's beaten some of the best ever in the business. He wrestled for over an hour against Sammartino in the Garden. One of the most popular babyfaces of his generation.

You're telling me that Scott Steiner could beat him? Scott Steiner is a footnote in wrestling history. He is famous for cutting idiotic promos, steriod allegations, a 5th or 6th wheel in the watered down version of the NWO, and having a horrible match with Triple H. That's his fame now. He could not go 10 minutes with Morales. Even with the ECW rules, Morales wins.

I think the thing that people are underestimating here is Pedro Morales and his toughness. Pedro wasn't just a scientific wrestler. He was known for having a "temper" and would often let loose on his opponents when the heels "made him mad." Basically he would "Hulk up" or go on the "Warpath" in his matches and throw all of his scientific moves out the window and just start beating the crap out of a guy. Basically, he could be tough and could fit in an ECW styled match. Obviously he didn't have experience using chairs, tables, ladders, weapons, etc. but that was due to the time period and territory he wrestled. They didn't exactly have barb wire, inferno, and TLC matches in the early 1970's WWWF period.

And Pedro had incredible stamina who could wrestle very long matches, something that Steiner never really did. I don't think Steiner ever wrestled a match longer than 30 minutes, not even when he was in his prime as a member of the Steiner Brothers in the early 90's. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Pedro on the other hand wrestled a 90 minute match with Bruno Sammartino at Shea Stadium in the early 1970's, and while it was pouring rain I might add.

He was also ridiculously over with the crowd, so he would definitely have the fans on his side in this match.

And another thing is that everyone here is selling Pedro WAY SHORT on his drawing power. He was WWWF champion for two years, so if he was champion that long, he must've been able to draw pretty good. I think there's this notion now (as has clearly been shown by the posts made in this thread) that Pedro was a terrible draw who wasn't over at all, but the simple fact is that he could draw, just not as well as Bruno. It's much like Macho Man and the Ultimate Warrior compared to Hulk Hogan. Both were good draws, they just didn't draw as well as Hogan. Same deal here. Pedro could draw, just not as well as Bruno could, which is why Vince Sr. wanted Bruno to come back.

Frankly, the only real advantages here that Scott Steiner has over Pedro is his mic skills and moveset. Scott was better at both fronts, but really that's it. Scott is more well known to modern fans, but when it comes to legacy and achievements Pedro is ahead of Scott Steiner. As has been stated he was the first ever Triple crown champion in the WWE, won numerous titles in other territories, and was the WWE champion for two years, meaning he had one of the longest reigns ever.

Pedro, for me, is the clear choice here. Kayfabe or not.

wiki said:
On September 30, 1972, Morales faced Bruno Sammartino in the first-ever match featuring two fan favorite, technical wrestlers.[3] The crowd favored him, despite Sammartino's large fan base in the city of New York. After 75 minutes of wrestling featuring several near-falls, the contest ended in a draw, when the city's curfew entered in effect.[2][28] Subsequently, both performers embraced, signifying the end of their rivalry and the reformation of the tag team. However, the lack of a resolution was not well received, the fans were noticeably angry, and some jumped into the dugouts to shake their fists at the wrestlers.

The first face vs face match, vs the beloved Sammartino, and the fans were with Morales. The guy was over HUGE. Surely someone that over could draw? 1000 day+ title reign is pretty serious business too. Morales record in no-DQ matches is good as well, having victories and experience in texas deathmatches, roman gladiator matches (fight until one can't continue, basically LMS) as well as numerous steel cage matches. I mean I havn't combed through, but he's won every gimmick match I've seen him involved in.

Steiner was in ECW for a bit but wayyy before his singles peak (maybe he was at his best here though. certainly the few years prior to this he was incredible). Obv he's got some experience in the environment, plus a world title of his own right near the end of WCW, before dropping it back to Booker T on the final Raw; this compared to almost 3 years for Morales battling Sammartino/Stasiak/Blassie.

Without a doubt, Morales has the bigger legacy here. Steiner in his prime was a physical specimen who would put up a fight against anyone he faced, but Morales was a beast as well. The hispanic culture in San Jose will help the already white hot crowd behind Morales too.

Yeah I absolutely can't see past a Morales win and I don't understand this Steiner lovefest. He had a few good years as a heel in WCW, Morales is far too classy here though.

edit; how the fuck is Morales losing this heavily?!?!

While the Steiner brothers may have their mark on wrestling history, Scott Steiner as a single competitor hasn't have done anything really impressive. Yes, he is a former WCW world champion but Morales is the first ever triple crown champion, one of the biggest attractions for hispanics. Hell, he even is the first Latin american wrestler inducted to the WWE HoF.

As a wrestler, as a legend, as someone who was over with an specific population, Pedro Morales has this.

I give this to Steiner. Whether it's Big Poppa Pump or the athletic freak that we saw in the early 90's the guy was always entertaining. He was a former World champion and won pretty much everything their was to win in WCW. Morales was a great competitor in his own right, but Steiner was insane in the ring at the beginning of his career and towards the end of WCW he was one of the top stars in the company

Scott wins this. He is bat shit crazy and that is dangerous, especially in an ECW rules match.

Now both men were not exactly stellar in their runs at the top. Morales does have the bigger edge because he held his major titles for much, much longer than Scott. Scott really wins me over here because of his tag team success & the entertainment factor over the course of his career. I just liked watching his matches\interviews more than anything I watched from Morales.

Again, the unstable nature of Steiner would come in to play here & Pedro would get beat. Grounded, bloody and a bit dizzy from a few suplexes & a shot with the lead pipe- Pedro gets caught in the Recliner. Tap out or pass out- Big Poppa Pump wins the match.

Why is Morales considered a weak champion? He had a three year run with the WWWF title. Is he underestimated because his reign came in between Bruno's long reigns? I guess you could consider him weak compared to Bruno but most guys are considered weak compared to Bruno. I think a three year reign is pretty damn good. It's certainly better than winning world titles when Russo was passing the belt around like Halloween candy. Steiner was at his best as a tag team wrestler. He did well on his own too but not as well as Morales.

Scott Steiner was a PHENOMENAL athlete before he became the "genetic freak". His run with his brother Rick was awesome, The Steiners were one of the greatest teams I have ever seen. Scott was huge then, but he was also VERY athletic. It's a shame to see how immobile he became later on after packing on some unbelievable size.

The world class promos that make no sense, the ridiculous "peaks" on his arms that look like a freak of nature, the incredible Scott Steiner workout dvd...all these makes me vote for Scott in this one. I love the man. He is hilarious and if we are looking at all these wrestlers in their primes, Scott Steiner was very, very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back