ECW Dallas, Round 1, Match 4: #17 Billy Graham vs. #48 Steve Williams

Discussion in 'ECW Region' started by Shocky, Mar 22, 2009.

?

Graham vs. Williams

1. Superstar

2. Dr. Death

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

The following match takes place in the ECW Region under Extreme Rules, in Dallas, TX.

#17. "Superstar" Billy Graham
    [​IMG]

vs.

#48 "Dr. Death" Steve Williams
    [​IMG]

2. fongp88

fongp88 Dark Match Winner

Does anyone know anything about Steve Williams? He was never defeated in North America for over a decade until finally losing to Raven in a match for the ECW Title in 1997, something I don't recall Austin ever fighting for. He was a All Japan Pro Wrestling Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion. UWF World Heavyweight Chapion, USWA Souther Heavyweight Champion, had 15 Tag Championship reigns and 2 other title reigns. Also being from Oklahoma is basically a home away from home fighting in Dallas.
    I don't expect him to go over Austin but he shouldn't have any problems with Billy Graham in a hardcore environment. DDP should prvide a challenge but Williams is a legit tough guy and should prevail in a close match.
    I know most of you have tried to block out the infamous Brawl for All tournament that Bart Gunn won, but the tournament was designed to be a major push for Williams, unfortunatley Gunn seriously injured Williams and the push was pretty much forgotten unless you count another JR heel turn where he acted as Williams' manager. Check him out before you vote for Graham or DDP because they are "bigger names"

vs. Kenta Kobashi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AsjhRd9JHU

vs. King Kong Bundy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqss4lucee4

vs. Raven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kqk1qcKpEM

with Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy as Miracle Violence Connection vs. Dynamite Kid and Johnny Smith
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_3Rk5YLGM

3. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Steve Williams in a walk. Graham may have been bigger, but if you watch Williams go, you see some amazing power. He just beat people up and could back it up. The guy is a god in Japan and he knows it. One of the most underrated wrestlers of all time and a guy that is just fun to watch. Graham is known for his influences but not what he actually did if that makes sense. Williams in a walk.

4. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

I'm voting for Dr. Death, but you probably shouldn't mention Bart Gunn ending his push if you want to get him past DDP.

Billy Graham is known more for his stuff outside of the ring, and for his gimmick, than for actually being a good wrestler. In a hardcore environment, this isn't even close. He may get a few votes by people who don't care to read the actual rules, but Williams should win this by a decent margin.

5. Shadowmancer

Shadowmancer I am The Last Baron

First off there is a major thing that people are forgetting about Billy Graham, he can go Hardcore, so you can't say that. His Bullrope Match against Dusty in MSG is proof of that. As well as a texas death match I think it was. So take that into consideration within the context of the match.

6. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

I'm going to with Dr. Death. He was underrated in the ring and a great performer. Even though Graham can go hardcore, he's not well known for his wrestling abillity. It would be a good match to see but I think Williamms will be victorious at the end.

7. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Steve Williams acheived next to nothing in an American ring. His resume is as follows:

He went unpinned for ten years in the USA, which sounds great until you realise that all of his mathes were either tag matches in WCW that he occasionaly lost, with his partner being pinned, matches in indy feds nobody cared about, and a victory over Axl Rotten. As soon as he had any real competition, he lost.

The WWF set up Brawl For All to push him, and then he got knocked out by Bart Gunn, essentially killing his career in the North American majors. He was a powerful guy, don't get me wrong, but Superstar Billy Graham was equally strong, and slightly bigger than Dr. Death.

Graham is from a different era, so people will assume that the ECW environment will be new to him, but they are forgetting that:

a) Steve Williams isn't exactly Raven
    b) As Shadowmancer said, he had a bull rope match, and a very close Texas Death Match with Bob Backlund.

That being said, I have seen Williams' work and think that while he hasn't had the lasting impact Graham has on the sport (but who has?), Dr. Death would probably get the job done, essentially because he is the more nimble of two powerful guys. It would be close, as Graham is a tough nut to crack - his one year title reign as a heel in the 1970s proves that - but I just think Williams would beat him in a close match.

8. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

He actually has a lost against Raven in ECW while Raven was champ. But yeah... you made some great points.

However, at the end of the day, I'm still voting for Dr. Death. I think Graham for his day was a tremendous entertainer and a very good wrestler, but he never faced someone like Dr. Death. They're probably tied in the strength department, but technique wise and experience wise in this type of environment, Dr. Death still has the huge advantage and I think that would be enough for him to get a victory here.

9. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

I like Billy Graham, and think he is better then what he is given credit for thus far in this thread. The guy was a former WWWF champion, and was pretty much the blueprint for what wrestling would become. He had several brutal matchups that showed just how Bad Ass he could be.

That being said, Dr. Death is just one of those guys that I grew up reading about mostly that simply intimidated the shit out of me. You read about his credentials, about his undefeated streak, saw glimpses of him in some brutal matches and the legend grew. Yes, getting put on your ass by Bart Gunn in an event that was supposed to push you as a legit bad ass doesn't help your cause, but that's beside the point.

10. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

I thought I was going to be in the minority voting for Dr Death, but it looks like he is gaining some votes. And he is my guy here. I think being in the hardcore land that is ECW benefits Williams and hurts Graham. Graham is a big dude, but give him a few shots with some weapons for Dr Death and it is goodbye time for Superstar.

11. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

Dr. Death. I know what the man can do in a hardcore match, or in the smaller stage which ECW offers. SuperStar is a man I wouldn't even think about being eliminated so early, but when it comes down to it, the luck of the draw has given Dr. Death the chance to go over.

12. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

Dr. Death would crush Superstar Billy Graham in the ring, especially since this is in ECW. Billy Graham is known for two things: his look (which inspired many others) and for being on A Current Affair when they did an expose on steroids in professional wrestling.

13. CCS

CCS Getting Noticed By Management

Steve Williams beat cancer. So he isnt going to have any problem at all beating that old hippie Billy Grahm. Steve may not have a body that looks like it's made of rock, but he's still strong as an ox. Dr. Death would simply beat the high hell outta Superstar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.