Dream Pitching Rotation

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Because I'm bored, and because this section has been dead for about 24 hours, here's a thread. For all of you baseball fans, I want to know what your dream pitching rotation is. Use any criteria you want.

For mine, I'm going to just go with the Mets, but not necessarily use the players time with the Mets as the basis of including them.

1. Nolan Ryan - How do you not include him on a top 5, if he has ever pitched for your team? He's an amazing strikeout pitcher. Yes, I italicized that on purpose. Most pitchers that rack up strikeouts, are merely throwers. He was a pitcher. He holds the record for no hitters, and was downright intimidating late in to his career.

2. Tom Glavine - You can have Maddux or Smoltz, but give me Glavine as the best of the trifecta. Not only is he one of the best lefties ever, but he's one of the best ever, period. He never racked up a ton of K's, and was never the intimidating force most teams look for, but he didn't need to be. He could beat you with an 87 mph fastball, or a 77 mph change-up. Not many guys can get that kind of range.

3. Tom Seaver - I would've put him second, but I like to split up the lefties in my rotation, and #4 is a lefty. Seaver may be the greatest Met ever, and is on a few lists of the greatest pitchers ever. He could do anything on the mound, and was one of the genuine nice guys of the sport.

4. Al Leiter - Go ahead and laugh, but he is among the best starting pitchers the Mets have ever had. Maybe not for career stats, but his numbers with the Mets are very good, and shine among the best in their history. He was the face of the team for some down years, and he led us through 2 great runs in the playoffs.

5. Dwight Gooden - Sure, he could've been a little higher up, but his last few years were less than stellar, and his off-field transgressions hurt him a bit for me. He could've been a 300 game winner, and in the top 10 for strikeouts, and threw it all away.

Nolan Ryan - How can you not want this guy? He pitched well into his forties. He was good in his forties, he ate a lot of innings, he could get you out with several pitches, and he threw every single one of them for strikes.

Randy Johnson - Say what you want, but he is arguably the greatest left handed pitcher to ever play. He was so intimidating it wasn't even funny. He had a high nineties fastball. It looked so much faster coming off the arm of a near 7 footer, and he was pretty damn clutch.

Greg Maddux - NSL, you brought up the fastball to change up thing. Maddux had that. He threw all his pitches for strikes, was able to get every pitch to move, and all his pitches were considered an out pitch.

These guys put it best... Dodgers general manager Fred Claire admired Maddux's pitching consistency, saying "It's almost like a guy lining up a 60-foot-6-inch putt... he is just so disciplined, so repetitive in his pitches." Speaking about Maddux's accuracy, Orel Hershiser said, "This guy can throw a ball in a teacup." Baseball Hall of Famer Wade Boggs talked about facing Maddux: "It seems like he's inside your mind with you. When he knows you're not going to swing, he throws a straight one. He sees into the future. It's like he has a crystal ball hidden inside his glove."

Roger Clemens - He wasn't scared of throwing high and in, his fastball reached mid 90's and his splitter was tremendous. He was untouchable in his prime and could be an ace in almost all pitching rotations.

Bob Gibson - he was good against lefties and righties, he was practically unhittable once his runners reached base, and he had a rubber arm. He'd be my ace without hesitation...

Reactions: NSL
Greg Maddux - NSL, you brought up the fastball to change up thing. Maddux had that. He threw all his pitches for strikes, was able to get every pitch to move, and all his pitches were considered an out pitch.

These guys put it best... Dodgers general manager Fred Claire admired Maddux's pitching consistency, saying "It's almost like a guy lining up a 60-foot-6-inch putt... he is just so disciplined, so repetitive in his pitches." Speaking about Maddux's accuracy, Orel Hershiser said, "This guy can throw a ball in a teacup." Baseball Hall of Famer Wade Boggs talked about facing Maddux: "It seems like he's inside your mind with you. When he knows you're not going to swing, he throws a straight one. He sees into the future. It's like he has a crystal ball hidden inside his glove."

Maddux is definitely among the greatest ever, and is without a doubt, one of the best over the last 20-25 years. As a Mets fan, I hated seeing him toe the rubber against us. I would have included him, if I was using different criteria.

The rest is solid. Having Gibson as a #5 starter, would be absolutely horrendous for any team to face in the playoffs. I notice you didn't include any Pirates pitchers...;)

You know, I am now going to do this with only Pirate pitchers. Boy this ought to be fun

My Ace: Wilbur Cooper - He was a Pirate for 12 years, had over 200 wins, an era below 3.0 and I believe had over 1200 strikeouts..( watch out Nolan Ryan)

Babe Adams - He had a lot of great seasons, and it's hard to pick one as standing out above others, so we'll choose 1909, when he defeated the Tigers three times in the World Series. In the regular season he went 12-3 with a 1.11 ERA in 25 games. Twice he won 20 games (1911 and 1913), and from 1919-1922, he led the loop in fewest walks per nine innings every season.

Doug Drabek, he was a Cy Young award winner, and he was usually very good in his five years in Pittsburgh.

John Smiley - This is sad, but he had like one good year, but during that year he had 20 wins and finished top 3 in the Cy Young voting.

You know as my fifth pitcher I am stretching it a little bit but I am going for Oliver Perez. Before he got injured he was destined for greatness, he had a high 90's fastball and a knee buckling slider. He had a 2.98 ERA, and he averaged like 10 K's per nine innings for the lonely Bucco's.

You know, I am now going to do this with only Pirate pitchers. Boy this ought to be fun

This will hurt you, more than it hurts me :lmao:

My Ace: Wilbur Cooper - He was a Pirate for 12 years, had over 200 wins, an era below 3.0 and I believe had over 12oo strikeouts..( watch out Nolan Ryan)

I've actually heard of him...Not a bad pitcher, but obviously isn't much compared to a lot of teams stars.

Babe Adams - He had a lot of great seasons, and it's hard to pick one as standing out above others, so we'll choose 1909, when he defeated the Tigers three times in the World Series. In the regular season he went 12-3 with a 1.11 ERA in 25 games. Twice he won 20 games (1911 and 1913), and from 1919-1922, he led the loop in fewest walks per nine innings every season.

Not a bad couple of stats. Compared to modern day baseball, the numbers are outstanding, but at the time, 3 wins in a World Series wasn't all that spectacular. The 12-3 is always impressive, and the 1.11 ERA isn't too shabby either.

Doug Drabek, he was a Cy Young award winner, and he was usually very good in his five years in Pittsburgh.

You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you pull up Drabek. He was good, but he wasn't nearly as great as he was made out to be.

John Smiley - This is sad, but he had like one good year, but during that year he had 20 wins and finished top 3 in the Cy Young voting.

Fact = I did not know this. I guess every pitcher can have a good season or two.

You know as my fifth pitcher I am stretching it a little bit but I am going for Oliver Perez. Before he got injured he was destined for greatness, he had a high 90's fastball and a knee buckling slider. He had a 2.98 ERA, and he averaged like 10 K's per nine innings for the lonely Bucco's.

I actually figured him to rank higher. He was great for a short while with them, and had shown flashes of brilliance with us (the Mets). If he can ever get his head figured out, he can be a dangerous guy.

I've actually heard of him...Not a bad pitcher, but obviously isn't much compared to a lot of teams stars.
Yeah, but he was voted in a Pirates poll so he must have been good.

Not a bad couple of stats. Compared to modern day baseball, the numbers are outstanding, but at the time, 3 wins in a World Series wasn't all that spectacular. The 12-3 is always impressive, and the 1.11 ERA isn't too shabby either.
How isn't three wins spectacular? I believe it was 3 wins n 7 games. Also, he has one of the lowest walk per 9 inning totals in the 20th century.

You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you pull up Drabek. He was good, but he wasn't nearly as great as he was made out to be.
Not really, he won 22 games, 15 games (3 times) and 14 games once while in Pittsburgh. And he never had an ERA higher than 3.07 while in Pittsburgh. Well, after the 1987 Season. His 1987 season was a big ol Meh...
Fact = I did not know this. I guess every pitcher can have a good season or two.
Which is why he is my number four starter... :)

I actually figured him to rank higher. He was great for a short while with them, and had shown flashes of brilliance with us (the Mets). If he can ever get his head figured out, he can be a dangerous guy.

He was great on a shit team. Which is like the equivalent of being the smartest person with an IQ under 80...

Awesome thread idea. I like it.

I'm just going to do an all-time rotation, not limited to a team. Also, I will assume these pitchers are all in their prime.

1. Pedro Martinez - From 1997-2003, Pedro had only 1 season with an ERA above 2.50 (it was 2.89). He led the league in EAR 5 of those years, led the league in strikeouts 3 of those years, and was the most dominating pitcher in the era. Oh yeah, and he did all of that in the steroid era, where baseballs were flying out of the ballpark at record rates.

2. Bob Gibson - A mean son of a bitch, this righty was dominating on the mound in 1968, with a miniscule 1.12 ERA and was both the MVP and Cy Young award winner. But the real reason for his inclusion on this staff comes from his World Series appearances, in which he won 7 straight World Series games, including 3 in the 1967 WS alone. Tremendous in the regular season, but unbeatable in the playoffs.

3. Sandy Koufax - Any good rotation has at least 1 left-hander, so Sandy Koufax is the selection here. While he didn't have the length of career that would place him among the greatest of all times, there is no doubt that when Koufax was at his best, he was the best. His last four years in the league, his ERA were 1.88, 1.74, 2.04, 1.73, and he AVERAGED 24 wins a season.

4. Walter Johnson - Many would argue he's the greatest pitcher of all-time. The only reason I don't have him higher is the era that he played in. Johnson finished with a career ERA of 2.17 over 21 seasons. It's almost mind numbing how dominating that is. Throw in 417 wins, leading the league in strikeouts in 12 seasons, and 110 shutouts, there is no doubt that Walter Johnson would be on any persons dream rotation.

5. Babe Ruth - This is called "thinking outside the box". The Babe may be the only pitcher in history you would love to have batting fourth in your lineup. Everyone knows the type of hitter he was, and having your fifth starter be able to hit 714 HRs is quite the luxury. But it's not like you will be suffering on the mound. From 1915-1919, with an ERA under 3 every year, and winning over 20 games twice and winning 18 games once (and then he started to be converted to outfield). Throw in his incredible bat, and that's a great player to have on the team.

Nolan Ryan. How the hell anybody wouldn't put him on your list is insane & no I didn't include him cause he has 7 no hitters for my team & he practically runs my team now. Anyways he ate up a shit load of innings, threw tons & tons of strikes & it seemed that he was one of the few athletes in sports history that gotten better with age. Nolan is truly one of all time greats no doubt.

Greg Maddux. Maddux threw the majority of his pitches for strikes as his fastball was deadly as a mother fucker. He had great command of his pitches, he made all of his pitches move & 9 times out of 10, he would strike your ass out like that.

Tom Glavine. Even though he has lost the velocity on his pitches over the years, he more than makes up for it with his control, switching the speeds of his pitches & he always has had great location on his pitches. He didn't need a 95 mph fastball to beat you. No he could easily beat you with the slower pitches & that is why hitters have had a hard time going up against Glavine.

Roger Clemens. He wasn't scared if he threw the pitch high or low. His splitter is the shit & his fast ball reached the mid 90's most of the time. Nobody could touch him in his prime & he would no doubt in my mind be a top ace for alot of teams out there today if he were to still play that is.

Randy Johnson. His fastball clocks at 100 mph usually & that's a rare feat in itself witht he highest his fastball could go is at 102mph. He could get you with the fastball or the signature slider. His pitching is so phenominal that he scares the shit out of the hitters that face him. He is without a doubt one of the greatest left handers in the history of the game.

1. Sandy Koufax - He is the best pitcher of all the times. He retired young so as not to drag out a career and suffer the indignity of not being the best. Facing he and Drysdale on back to back days was a nightmare for hitters, and was almost two guaranteed wins every four days. He would throw inside, paint the corners, and do it all at 95+. He had four no hitters in nine years.

2. Nolan Ryan - I am a Texan. Nolan Ryan is like Paul Bunyon to us, except the stories are true. This is a player who instantly adds toughness to a team, just ask Robin Ventura. How could anyone quit when he won't? He won 300 games, yet spent most of his career one bad teams. His strikeout records will hold forever, as the structure of a pitching staff has changed.

3. Babe Ruth - The man had a winning percentage over .800 for his career. His ERA remains one of the lowest of all time, and he was a clutch pitcher. I would have him on a National League team, and he would pinch hit on his days off. He would be an asset to the every day make up of the team, which is something few pitchers can claim.

4. Pedro Martinez - Pedro was as dominant as anyone in history. His season of a sub 2 ERA, in the American League, is one of the most remarkable achievements in modern baseball. He toughness on the mound was unquestionable, and his mean streak is an asset on the mound. Hitters never knew if a 95 mph heater was coming at their head or if a changeup was dropping off the table on the outside corner.

5. Bob Gibson - Gibson's dominance is unquestioned. There was a story about a man on a motorcycle passing Gibson, going 100 mph, as Gibson threw a pitch. The pitch beat the bike to the plate. While there were no radar guns, Gibson is considered as the hardest thrower in the history of the game. the mound was lowered because of him.

Once again, the common theme here is the mean streak. All of these guys had a definite attitude, and we can never understimate how crippling fear can be in the batter's box.

Quickly, if I had to start a rotation of the last 8 years:

1. Pedro
2. Roy Oswalt - look at the number, most of which came on playoff contenders in high pressure games
3. Roy Halladay
4. Johan Santana
5. Josh Beckett

Nolan Ryan. How the hell anybody wouldn't put him on your list is insane
I'm insane because I don't want a pitcher who lost almost as much as he won, led the league in walks given up 8 times, and was a below average fielder? Don't get me wrong, the guy was damn good, but saying I'm insane because I'd rather have guys like Walter Johnson, Pedro, Koufax, and Gibson on my team, all guys who were just as dominating as Ryan, but gave up fewer walks, had a better winning percentage and could actually field a baseball is ridiculous.

I'll probably go all-time later, but I thought it would be more fitting to go with guys I've seen.

1. Pedro Martinez- This was the best pitcher I've ever seen in my life. He could slice through the best line-ups in baseball and dominate the garbage teams. In his prime he's arguably one of the most un-hittable pitchers.

2. Randy Johnson- Jeez, this guy is supernatural. Standing at 7-feet, intimidating demeanor, and the mix of a 100-mph fastball coupled with his devastating slider I can't see any reason to ignore Randy Johnson.

3. Greg Maddux- I have a lot to owe Maddux for making me a Braves fan. There has never been a more accurate pitcher, with legend telling he hit all of his spots in pre-game warmups with his eyes closed. He just made everyone look silly. Great pitcher.

4. Curt Schilling- Pretty good #4 pitcher here. He's not worthy of this spot when talking greatest ever, but makes a lot of sense for the forth spot in a rotation. He could eat up innings, he was a dominant ace for portions of his career, and he was legendary in the playoffs.

5. Roy Halladay- Not only am I getting a guy who can go the distance out of my 5 spot, I'm getting a pretty nasty pitcher. He has a rubber arm if he can avoid other set-backs. Same story as Schilling, obviously not the 5th best, but makes a lot of sense to put at the 5 spot in the rotation.

FTS got me thinking, If i was going to build a pitching rotation from 1998-2009 I would take these pitchers.

My ace would be Pedro Martinez - From 1998 -2003 he was damn near un-hittable. He did this in the American League where they played cheap ball and used the DH.

Roger Clemens - I am not even going over this. From 1998-2005 he was damn good. had a 1.98 ERA at the age of 42. He had two 20 game seasons, I believe an 18 game season and a 17 game season.

Johan Santana- There is something about him that screams star. He has several out pitches, all can be thrown for strikes, he seems to be pretty clutch and nothing seemingly phases him.

Roy Halladay - From 1998 till now he posted over 140 wins. He has a rubber arm, several out pitches, and he can strike you out.

Randy Johnson - Why? Because from 1998 till now he's posted two 20 win seasons, one 19 win season and I believe a 17 win season. For a few years he had a microscopic ERA. You wouldn't want the near 7 footer as their 5th pitcher in a rotation?

My dream rotation doesn't include fireballers like Roger Clemens or Nolan Ryan. I'm in love with spotting the ball, movement and changing speeds.

1. Greg Maddux - Hands down my number 1 guy. Greg Maddux was simply amazing to watch. I don't believe he ever threw any harder then 87 or 88 mph, but he commanded the entire lower portion of the strike zone with the crazy movement of his cut fastball. I have never in my life seen anyone stretch the corners of the plate the way Maddux could. As if he wasn't hard enough to hit anyway, umpires would give him strikes 6 inches off the plate making him dominant.

2. Kevin Brown - Brown was that rare combination of power and movement. He threw a sinking fastball that hit around 95 mph, but tailed out of the zone with wicked movement. When he was on, he was nearly unhitable.

3. Mike Mussina - One of my favorite pitchers to watch when I was growing up. He was from PA and played for the Orioles for a few years, so I automatically was a fan. He threw hard and had a fairly large arsenal of pitches, including a devistating knuckle curve. Mussina utilized all portions of the strike zone as he could throw effectively high in the zone as well as throw his movement pitches lower in the zone.

4. Tom Glavine - Because everyone needs a kick ass lefty. The Braves of the mid - late 90's really had just about the perfect rotation and Glavine was necessary for that team to be as successful as they were. Glavine changed speeds and spotted the ball almost as well as Maddux. And what the hell, you could use him as pinch hitter if you needed to.

5. Jim Palmer - Mike Mussina may have jumped ship, but Palmer spent his entire career with the O's. A hall of famer on his first ballot, he was the man for 20 years in Baltimore. He had over 2,000 K's and a lifetime ERA under 3.00.

My Ace: Wilbur Cooper - He was a Pirate for 12 years, had over 200 wins, an era below 3.0 and I believe had over 1200 strikeouts..( watch out Nolan Ryan)

By no means am I hating on your all Pirates starting rotation, but there's plenty of better choices out there. So I'll list my Pirates starting rotation for criticism.

First, you missed Steve Blass. In the 1971 World Series against the Baltimore Orioles, Blass pitched two complete games, allowing only seven hits and two runs in 18 innings. He finished his career with more than 100 wins and an ERA below 3.50.

Then there's Harvey Haddix. On May 26, 1959, Haddix pitched possibly the greatest game ever pitched !! That night against the Braves at County Stadium in Milwaukee, Haddix retired the first 36 batters he faced. Then in the 13th inning, a throwing error, a sacrifice, an intentional walk and finally a complicated home run-turned-double, hit by Joe Adcock, made Haddix and the Pirates 1-0 losers. No pitcher before that night had ever taken a perfect game beyond nine innings, and no one has since.

Also making my list... Bob Friend. Friend ended his career with a 197-230 record and a 3.58 ERA. He had 1734 career strikeouts in 3611 innings pitched. Friend pitched 36 shutouts in 163 complete games. He was also the first man ever to lead the league in ERA while pitching for a last place team.

My fourth man would be Elroy Face. Face was the majors first closer, and the greatest reliever until the late 60's, setting numerous league records during his career. He was the first to save 20 games more than once, leading the league three times and finishing second three times. In '59 he set the still-standing major league record for winning percentage (.947) with 18 wins against only 1 loss.

As for number five... I agree with your choices of either Wilbur Cooper or Babe Adams.

By no means am I hating on your all Pirates starting rotation, but there's plenty of better choices out there. So I'll list my Pirates starting rotation for criticism.

First, you missed Steve Blass. In the 1971 World Series against the Baltimore Orioles, Blass pitched two complete games, allowing only seven hits and two runs in 18 innings. He finished his career with more than 100 wins and an ERA below 3.50.

Then there's Harvey Haddix. On May 26, 1959, Haddix pitched possibly the greatest game ever pitched !! That night against the Braves at County Stadium in Milwaukee, Haddix retired the first 36 batters he faced. Then in the 13th inning, a throwing error, a sacrifice, an intentional walk and finally a complicated home run-turned-double, hit by Joe Adcock, made Haddix and the Pirates 1-0 losers. No pitcher before that night had ever taken a perfect game beyond nine innings, and no one has since.

Also making my list... Bob Friend. Friend ended his career with a 197-230 record and a 3.58 ERA. He had 1734 career strikeouts in 3611 innings pitched. Friend pitched 36 shutouts in 163 complete games. He was also the first man ever to lead the league in ERA while pitching for a last place team.

My fourth man would be Elroy Face. Face was the majors first closer, and the greatest reliever until the late 60's, setting numerous league records during his career. He was the first to save 20 games more than once, leading the league three times and finishing second three times. In '59 he set the still-standing major league record for winning percentage (.947) with 18 wins against only 1 loss.

As for number five... I agree with your choices of either Wilbur Cooper or Babe Adams.

What Blass did, Drabek did basically the same thing in just a Pirates uniform. I was talking to my dad about this and he said I missed I am on LSD when I pitched my no hitter Dock Ellis and I also missed Candelaria AKA the Candy Man. His 1977 season alone should put him on this list. He was 20-5 2.34 ERA avg, he had 6 complete games and one shutout. He also had several other good seasons in Pittsburgh.

If I am solely basing this off of what they did in a Pirates uniform I believe I would go with

Cooper - Already stated why previously.

Candelaria - Best years were in Pittsburgh.

Smiley - Best season in Pittsburgh

Ellis - Best years were in Pittsburgh. Bottom line is you didn't fuck with Dock Ellis. He threw a no hitter while tweaking on LSD. He also attempted to hit every batter in the Reds line up. He got Rose, Driessen and Morgan. He failed, but he did prove his point...

Drabek. Same as Ellis and Smiley.

Dream Pitching Rotations. Man, I can think of soooooo many pitchers that are phenomenal. But if I have to go and pick five...I will...and YES there will be some Cubs in the mix.

The Ace: Randy Johnson

The Big Unit is simply one of the most dominating pitchers of my generation. In his prime, his fastball was the hardest to hit pitch in baseball. Period. He made Seattle a contender along with Edgar Martinez, A-Rod, and some dude named Griffey. His stuff couldn't be touched for a few years, and he even threw a perfect game just four seasons ago...WELL past his prime.

The Big Arm: Nolan Ryan

Nolan Ryan is a man who can throw. He can give you innings, he's thrown SEVEN no-hitters, and his fastball is a thing of legend. ANYONE who's faced him knows how good he was. And think about this. His last two no-hitters came against the two BEST OFFENSES in the American League at the time. Oakland with McGwire and Canseco, and Toronto with Joe Carter, Roberto Alomar, and Paul Molitor. IMPRESSIVE.

The Finesse Guy: Greg Maddux

Maddux mastered the art of location with his pitches. You'd be looking at a sure ball four, then you realize the ball crossed the inside corner and was strike three. He didn't throw the ball as hard as he could. He just threw strikes. And was damn good at it.

The Cubbie: Carlos Zambrano

Now, he's not as dominant as he should be. His temper gets in the way and he's rattled too easy. But when he's on, he's unhittable. Ask Houston. No-hitter AT a neutral site. He had stuff that no one could touch. And he throws like that more often than not. Solid pitcher, and would be welcome in my rotation ANYTIME.

The Bulldog: Orel Herschiser

The Bulldog was one of my favorite players growing up. He looked like a professor and threw like a cannon. Setting the record for consecutive scoreless innings isn't a record to take lightly. No one else has even been close to touching that record. He shut down the A's as well in the '88 World Series, something no one could do that season.

1. Randy Johnson. In his prime he was just unstoppable. Over a 2 year span in Seattle, the Mariners were something like 58-2 when he started. That's fucking incredible. I can't even fathom how good that is. Add that to what he did in the 2001 WS, this guy was just incredible.

2. Greg Maddux. One of the smartest pitchers ever and he can pin point location. Possibly the most consistant pitcher as well. Even though he couldn't throw that hard, he was still nearly impossilbe to hit. On top of that, he's won like 15 gold gloves.

3. Pedro Martinez- He may not have had a very long career and he may have had some off games, but when Pedro was on he was on. He had one of the best 3 or 4 year periods in baseball history and he had five quality pitches.

4. Roy Hallady- Arguably the best pitcher in the game right now and can really eat up innings. He's just a winner and is capable of a complete game anytime he takes the mound.

5. Steven Strassburg- Sure he still in college, but with his talent and 4 great pitchers to mentor him, I think that he could be one of the top pitchers of all time.

Cliff Lee: He proved himself to be one of the major's best last year with his stellar second half performance and his Cy Young Trophy win. The second straight Cleveland Indian to win the award, which leads me to my next pick.

CC Sabathia: He has a wicked fast fastball and amazing command. He came very close to getting a no hitter last year on what is a pretty controversial call.

Eric Bedard: Has lead the lonely Seattle Mariners from dead last to first in there division. Good command on most pitches and has good break in his slider.

Wandy Rodriguez: Has loads of potential to be a Cy Young winning pitcher in the near future. Has a good fastball

Tom Glavine: Experienced veteran pitcher that can still pitch well for a 43 year old. Good mentor for younger pitcher. Would make an amazing pitching coach after retirement.

my rotation of today's pichers would look like this:

1: Johan Santanna - he's got a deviating slider and changeup that gets the batter almost every time.

2: Roy Halliday - when he's on he's untouchable! too bad he's in Toronto though

3: Tim Luencikum (however you spell his last name) say what you want about the guy but he's got great composure and is a surefire win whenever he pitches.

4: Carlos Zambrano when he's healthy he has the ability to be one of the elite pitchers in the MLB

5: Cliff Lee- he's last years AL Cy Young and is one of the better up and coming pitchers.

my rotation of the past

1:Warren Spahn the winningest pitcher of all time.... 'nuff said

2: Catfish Hunter gave the Yankees a couple of championships

3: Nolan Ryan Arguably the greatest pitcher of all time

4: Bob Gibson one of the best power pitchers of all time

I hate to do this to him because I love Nolan Ryan but he should be in NOBODY's dream rotation. There are so many better overall pitchers than Nolan. Sure he has the 7 no hitters, which is probably a record that will never be close to being matched. But his win-loss record, his era, and his number of walks are merely above average. And his wildness helped him get those no-nos. Randy Johnson is better than Nolan and he just missed my cut. And I have always loved Nolan. I loved his work ethic (I still have a book I got 20 years ago, Nolan Ryan's Pitchers Bible, which details proper mechanics, diet and an exercise program), I loved when he pitched inside (because you need to be able to do this and not be afraid) and he hit a young Robin Ventura, who charged the mound and got his ass whooped by a man old enough to be his father. And I love how he runs the Rangers today, he even has barred pitch counts as a means to determine when a pitcher leaves the game throughout the organization. But top 5 of all time, no way.
Here are mine:
1. Bob Gibson - as dominating a pitcher as there ever was. His 1.12 era in 1968 is just insane. They actually lowered the height of the mound the next year to give hitters an advantage. Plus he pitched inside and wasn't afraid of anybody.
2. Steve Carlton - Yes i am a Phillies fan, but he won 27 games in 1972 when the team only won 59. 4 time Cy Young winner, 4th all time on the career strike out list. In fact there was a time when Carlton and Ryan were going back and forth as number one on the strike out list.
3. Greg Maddux - The smartest, most prepared pitcher of all time. Plus he could hit the head of a nail from 60 feet six inches away. 18 Gold Gloves, 4 Cy Youngs (second most, tied with Carlton)(Clemens 7 doesn't count to me, steroids). I used to hate him when he was with Atlanta (Phillies fan) but always liked watching him work.
4. Warren Spahn - The most wins from a lefty.
5. Tom Seaver - 3 Cy Youngs and just had unhittable stuff.

I saw someone put Steven Strausburg on their list. Nothing against the kid, I wish him well, but that is craziness. He has faced no one. Sure he struck out 17 against Air Force, but none of those guys are going to make a big league roster.

Since everyone else is doing an all-time pitching rotation, I'll throw mine in too:

Walter Johnson - There's little argument that he isn't in the top 3 for greatest pitchers of all-time. He's simply outstanding, and would blow away any hitter, in any era.

Satchel Paige - He was a great pitcher, although his MLB stats aren't very impressive. Don't forget, that he's also the oldest "rookie" in history. He was the best pitcher to come out of the Negro Leagues, and would be a great addition to almost any "all-time" roster.

Sandy Koufax - I really can't say it better than Sly did. For his short career, he was the best pitcher in baseball. Had he continued playing, he would've set records, and won more hardware than guys like Clemens, Maddux, or Johnson.

Don Larsen - I'm not a Yankee fan, by any stretch of the imagination. But, I can admit that this guy was a great pitcher. Take out his World Series perfect game, and you still have a damn impressive career.

Roy Halladay - Yes, he's active. No, I wouldn't out him among the best all time. But, people today need to realize exactly what we're watching with this guy. By the end of his career, he could be the last ever 300 game winner, and could have more Cy Young awards than anyone playing right now. I'd put money on him being among the all-time greats by the time his career is over.

1:Warren Spahn the winningest pitcher of all time.... 'nuff said

Lol, I think you are mistaken by saying the winningest pitcher of all time. I believe you mean the winningest left handed pitcher of all time after the dead ball era. Because two names I believe many people know have more wins than Warren Spahn, one has the most prestigious pitcher's award named after him. Cy Young has over 500 wins, and Walter Johnson has over 400. Should clarify things before spouting off.

Now onto lists, I am using two, one old and one current.

Old

1. Walter Johnson- Easily one of the top 3 pitchers in our history. His arm strength at the time was unheard of. As there weren't speed guns back then, an arms lab recorded his fastball at approximately 91 mph. May not seem fast now, but back then, especially with a dead ball, that is an incredible stat. The only pitcher behind Cy Young with 400 wins.

2. Bob Gibson- He was a beast on the mound. Has the lowest earned run average of the live ball era, and has a single season record (live ball era again) of 13 shutouts in a season. This will most likely never be duplicated, as bullpens have a higher use than back then.

3. Greg Maddux- Does anything really need to be said about him? He is arguably the best pitcher of the last 20-25 years. His control was simply remarkable. The movement he had on his fastball was one of the best things I watched. He knew how to pitch, and had few bad outings, every pitcher has them, but Maddux had fewer than most would.

4. Ted Lyons- Yes I am sure you are going to think that his record of 260-230 would make him a horrible pitcher, or average at best right? Wrong. He played for the White Sox, who after the Black Sox Scandal in 1920 came about, were terrible for the better portion of 40 years. I hate admitting it but it is true. He also had the Yankees and Red Sox to go up against a lot, during which time was Murderers Row in the Bronx. Joe McCarthy was the manager of the Yankees during this time, said if Ted Lyons played for the Yankees, he would have won over 400 games.

5. Billy Pierce- He is one of the best left handed pitchers, if not one of the best pitchers in general, of the 50s. During his career, he was usually given 5 to 6 days rest so he could pitch against the better teams in the league, such as the Yankees and Indians. He was in a duel for Southpaw Supremacy against Whitey Ford, which was a one sided matchup, but Billy kept his own. The Yankees had a crazy powerful lineup, and the White Sox had a scrappy slap single team. Yankees advantage, but Billy Pierce still stuck in there at the Yankees dominating time. How he isn't in the Hall of Fame I don't know.

Current.

1. Roy Halladay- Doc Halladay is a stud, and one of the best pitchers in the game, and arguably in the AL. Guaranteed if he were on a higher market team he would have more wins. We will see where he goes this season, but he is a bonafied ace.

2. Mark Buerhle- I like the switching of lefty righty, and Buerhle is a hell of a pitcher. He works fast and throws strikes. He throws to contact, and keeps his fielders in the game. He even had a stretch of 49 consecutive starts of pitching 6 innings or more.

3. Tim Lincecum- Has electric stuff. I believe in a few SportsCenter or Baseball Tonight segments before the All Star Game I heard video game curve ball, or something to that effect. He is a stud, and will be the Ace of any staff he is on for the coming years of his career.

4. Johan Santana- When he was with the Twins, he was absolutely dirty. He has continued that in New York. His fastball is mid 90s and his change is 80s or lower. That itself is not even fair. Add in his breaking balls and he deserves the Cy Young awards he has received.

5. Felix Hernandez- King Felix has some nasty stuff. Ever since his career started, he has been one of the best pitchers in the game. He started his career with 112 batters faced before allowing an extra base hit, which is damn impressive. He is only 23 and the Ace of his staff. His career will continue to blossom.

My All-Time team would be:

1-Sandy Koufax
I wish I could have seen this guy pitch. But I would give him the ace spot on my rotation based on how much it appeared that he dominated the game of baseball. Its a shame the guy couldn't have played longer. Think of the numbers he could have put up. It's simply amazing.

2-Greg Maddux
Yeah, I've seen him play so I want to include him on the list. The guy was such a pitcher. Not a thrower, but he was like a surgeon with the baseball. He was a different kind of guy. So dominant though. Used all his pitches consistently.

3-Randy Johnson
The Big Unit is probably the most phsyically gifted player in the history of US sports. I say this because his height, along with his power on the mound, and his mean streak, were such an amazing combo. He was unhittable. When he learned how to be dominant, and when he came to the NL, he was always going to be in contention for the Cy Young.

4-Bob Gibson
I had to put the greatest Cardinals pitcher of all time on the list. He was such a workhorse, and was great in the big games. Gibson was one of the most dominant pitchers of all time, and his 1968 season changed the game forever. Plus, I could maybe even bat him up in the order a bit, because of his power with the bat.

5-Steve Carlton
Why did my beloved Cardinals have to trade this man? A great strikeout pitcher, and his 1972 pitcher is among the most remarkable in baseball history. One year after we fucking traded him.

I tried to have a solid mix of lefthanders and righthanders, and my staff may go untouched ? :)

I am going to do 2 lists, my current players rotation, expansion era (1962-present) rotation.

Current:

1. Roy Halladay: This guy is absolutely amazing. He always seems to pitch well against the good teams (Yanks, Red Sox). Also, he is a workhorse who is among the league lead in CGs every year.

2. Johan Santana: simply the best Lefty in the Majors, who is doing his best to keep a injury-riddled Mets team. similar to Halladay in that he wants the ball in big games, and wants to go late in ballgames.

3. Tim Lincecum: He is the reigning NL Cy Young winner, and he is still only 25.

4. CC Sabathia: Carsten Charles Sabathia is the second best lefty in baseball right now, behind Santana. Still only 28, his prime is coming soon. He, like Santana/Halladay, go late into games, and can single-handedly propel a team to the playoffs (he did that last year for the Brewers). I would have CC as the 3 starter, but I wanted to split up the lefties.

5. Zack Greinke: He was considered one of the top pitching prospects in the minors prior to his call-up, then was moderately successful in 2004 (8-11 on a crappy Royals team). He was not so good in 2005, and then missed 2006 because of Social Anxiety Disorder and Depression. He came back to be a successful relief pitcher in 2007, a good 2008, and he was an All-Star in 09, and started the year not allowing a run for 24 innings. If he wasn't on the crappy Royals, he would be in everybodies rotation.
This was a somewhat sentimental pick, he has been enxellent recently, but as someone who is dealing with Depression (for 4 years now), I tend to think higher of poeple dealing with mental health issues, and succeeding.

Expansion Era Rotation
(a little heavy on guys from the 90's, but I tend to remember more about the players who pitched when I was alive)

1. Bob Gibson:
In 1968, he had a 1.12 ERA, FOR THE SEASON (a live-ball era record). 165-81 from 1963-1970, 9 gold gloves, 2 Cy Youngs. I need not say more. Oh yeah, after 68, they CHANGED THE RULES BECAUSE OF HIM. Definately #1

2. Pedro Martinez: In the STEROID ERA, he was able to be the most dominant pitcher of the past 20 years. 3Cy Youngs, 4-time AL ERA leader, 1999 AL pitchers triple crown (ERA, Wins, K's).

3. Greg Maddux: In the Steroid Era, Maddux was dominant, not with his velocity, but with his brain. He was one of (if not the) most accurate pitchers of this era. a 4 time Cy-Young winner (Consecutively from 1992-95), and an 18 time Gold Glover, more then anybody at any position.

4. Roger Clemens: 7 Cy Young awards, 4672 K's, 354 W's, regardless of whether he used steroids or not (he did use them), he was dominant for the Sox, the Blue Jays, and the Yanks, and was borderline dominant for the Astros. How he isn't on a top-5 is rediculous. The steroid era happened, and we cannot hold individual players accountable, because they were outed as cheaters.

5. Steve Carlton: 329 wins, 3.22 career ERA, 4 Cy Youngs, one of the best lefties of all time. I needed at least 1 lefty, and went with Carlton over Randy Johnson, because I am a Yankee fan, and Johnson was a piece of garbage for the Yanks, and refuse to put him in my Dream Rotation.

I'll create a dream Yankee rotation and a current rotation later, but RAW is on soon. So, without further ado, here is my dream pitching rotation, complete with a set-up man and a closer:

The Ace - Randy Johnson (303-165)

Randy Johnson in his prime is, in my humble opinion, the most intimidating pitcher to ever live. He has the highest strikeout-per-nine inning rate in history. When the 6'10 giant stepped onto the rubber, you could see the fear in the batter's eyes. With a fastball that oft reached speeds exceeding 100 miles per hour (160 kilometers per hour), he could simply throw the ball right past the bat of even the best hitters in baseball. Bob Gibson is often regarded as the most powerful pitcher in history, but I'd like to see Randy Johnson clocked on the same, higher mound that Gibson threw down from. If Johnson's punishing heater wasn't enough, he has a slider of legend. He's nicknamed it "Mr. Snappy", a very fitting name. It appears as a fastball, coming to the plate at over 90 miles per hour and breaking at the last moment. It's so devastating, that right handed-hitters have been known to swing at a pitch that nearly lands on their feet. He is also able to deceive left-handed hitters into thinking he is throwing from closer than he is, due to his long arms and side-arm throws. Lefties hit only .196 against him. He's also not afraid to throw at a hitter.

Johnson is a 5-time Cy Young award winner, second all-time in strike-outs, a 10-time all-star, has thrown two no-hitters (one being a perfect game), is the only pitcher to defeat every team in baseball, and may be the last 300 game winner. Randy Johnson is perhaps the greatest left-handed pitcher in history (if not second to Sandy Koufax), and a man that I would do anything to have on my squad.

"Mr. Impossible-To-Hit" - Sandy Koufax (165-87)

Sandy Koufax is considered by many to be the greatest pitcher of all-time. In his short career, Sandy racked up an MVP award, 3 Cy Youngs, 2 Babe Ruth awards, 4 pitcher of the year awards, was a 6-time all-star, and threw 4 no-hitters (one being a perfect game). This man played 11 years, although the first five were riddled with injuries and general problems that a young pitcher faces. He went 8-13 in the 1960 season, and after the last game, threw his spikes and glove into the garbage, already thinking of quitting baseball. He decided to give it one more go. In 1961, he established himself as a star. He won 18 games, played in two all-star games, and set the National League strike-out record. From then on, he improved himself into one of the greatest of all-time.

Sandy had an overpowering fastball and a curveball that would break two feet when it was working. A prime Koufax would be my ace, were it not for his tendency to tip pitches. I suppose Willie Mays put it best, though, saying: "I knew every pitch he was going to throw and I still couldn't hit him."

With or Without Steroids: The Greatest - Roger Clemens (354-184)

Roger Clemens is the man. He dominated on every team he played for, always posting a winning record, even when his team was shut out nine times during his starts. He has a lifetime era just over 3, but still posted low 2's even into his forties. Clemens is third all-time in strike outs, is the owner of 7 Cy Young awards, and is simply one of the greatest pitchers of all time. He is one of three men to win 350 games in the live-ball era, and has twice won the Triple Crown for pitching. It's common knowledge that he has enhanced his performance, but in my mind, is one of, if not the greatest to ever pitch regardless. Roger Clemens was the ace of his team even at age 43. His postseason record isn't dominating, but he is 3-0 in the World Series with a great earned run average just over two.

He's also able to pitch in any situation. Clemens has covered every angle: he has posted a 3.11 ERA at home and 3.09 on the road. Righties have hit .227 against him, lefties have hit .229. His career ERA is 2.92 during the day and 3.20 at night. No matter where he's pitched, who he's faced or what situation he's pitched in, Clemens has dominated.

The Bad-Ass - Pedro Martinez (214-99)

Pedro, even though he burned out in his mid-thirties, was one of the most dominating pitchers of all-time. He lost less than 100 games, had a lifetime 2.91 ERA, an has countless accolades to his name. He has five pitches that are well above average, and following my theme thus far, excellent velocity on his pitches. Pedro is a pitcher than has won duels against Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, and other greats. Aside from all that, he's hard nosed. I love that about him. He refuses to give up the inside of the plate, and despite being known for having great control, hits a lot of batters. I'm a fan of pitchers who aren't afraid to tune up the band for some chin music. He's also a bad-ass. Evidence:

• In 2000, he hit a batter in the hand and caused a bench-clearing brawl. Pedro said, "There's no crying in baseball. If he wants to cry, let him cry."
  • When asked about the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry, he responded: "I'm starting to hate talking about the Yankees. The questions are so stupid. They're wasting my time. It's getting kind of old ... I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass, pardon me the word." (Even as a Yankee fan, this is possibly my favorite quote ever.)

He also tells it like it is. After losing to the Yankees, he said: "They beat me. They're that good right now. They're that hot. I just tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy". That prompted the famous, "Who's your daddy?" chant. Love it.

From Sandlot Star to Superstar - "Lefty" Grove (300-141)

Grove was an amazing pitcher. He once won 31 games in a year and led the Athletics to two World Championships during the years where Babe Ruth led the Yankees. He is one of few pitchers to be honored with the MVP award. Lefty led the American League in strikeouts seven straight years, but a sore arm (coinciding with a trade to the Red Sox) made him a different kind of pitcher the second half of his career. Still, he led the league in ERA four times after being traded to the Sox.Grove led his league in ERA nine different times, more than any other pitcher. The next highest total is seven, by Clemens. His .680 winning percentage is eighth all-time, though the seven ahead of him have all won less than 240 games. He's a man that dominated as a pitcher even as the game began to turn in favor of hitters. This hall of fame pitcher hasn't been listed by anyone else, but I'd say he's deserving.

The Set-Up Man - Hoyt Wilhelm (143-122)

An extremely durable and effective relief pitcher, Hoyt Wilhelm pitched until he was nearly fifty years old due to his mastery of the knuckleball. He was an All-Star as a 29-year old in his second season in 1953, and as a 46-year old in his 19th season, in 1970. Known as a reliever - his 1,070 games included just 52 starts - he threw a no-hit, no-run game against the New York Yankees on September 20, 1958. He was the first relief pitcher elected to the Hall of Fame, in 1985. Wilhelm had a career ERA of 2.52. His finest year was '65, where he saved 20 games and won seven. He posted an ERA of 1.81. In 144 innings, he allowed only 88 hits, 32 walks, but struck out 106 batters. He didn't have much of a fastball or anything, but his knuckler puts Wakefield to shame. He once said, "I don't even try to fool anybody. I just throw the knuckleball 85 to 90 percent of the time. You don't need variations, because the damn ball jumps around so crazily, it's like having a hundred pitches."

The Closer - Mariano Rivera (69-51)

As a lifelong Yankee fan, I've grown up watching Mo pitch. I saw him live at Safeco Field. He closed out a game against The Seattle Mariners. There is simply nothing that compares to this man's pitching. I have never seen something so amazing as his cutter. Jim Thome called it the greatest pitch in the history of the game. You all know about Rivera, and I'm not going to talk too much about him here. I have a thread about him coming. He's spectacular though. But don't let me tell you, listen to former Twin's manager. He said of Mo: "He needs to pitch in a higher league, if there is one. Ban him from baseball. He should be illegal." If any of you were to take a closer for your team, you'd be foolish not to select Mariano Rivera.

Note: This went on longer than I thought. RAW is half done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back