Did TNA derail AJ Styles WWE Push?

Strife3

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm asking this simply because after AJ Styles became the #1 contender before payback TNA comes out with 'The best The Essential AJ Styles Collection. This was released shortly after he won the match. It seemed to me that TNA was trying to profit off WWE's pushing AJ. Seeing this I can't help but think that TNA is the reason that AJ lost at Payback and Extreme Rules. Not that I didn't think the matches were great I just feel that AJ's push to WWE Champion was stopped cause of the TNA dvd release.

AJ Styles would not have gone to WWE if his agent did not negotiate a MAJOR push for him. TNA releasing a "Best of..." DVD had no bearing on weather Styles won or lost. Roman Reigns has a WWE "pedigree". His family was in WWE. Reigns was developed by WWE. VKM would rather lose $1 on WWE developed talent than making $20 from someone developed somewhere else.

No, WWE just wanted a competent and hot hand to bring Reigns decent matches and wins. There was never any intention to give Styles the title. Styles getting the title does not meet their Roman agenda. AJ will most likely now get thrown in to the mid card fray to trade wins and put on good lengthy matches with guys like Owens and Cesaro.

It is going to take a ton of fan support to get him the title.

Vince McMahon doesn't give a crap about TNA. GSB pointed out correctly that Styles is being used to enhance Reigns, just as most have over the past couple of years.

Styles might win the title at some point but not as long as the Reigns train is still puffing down the track. When Reigns finally drops the title Styles could get back into the mix but not until then.

Just because Styles came to WWE isn't an automatic indicator that he's going to be WWE Champion. I do think, however, he has a chance of winning the title a little later down the line, but it's not going to be anytime soon. No way Roman Reigns drops the championship before SummerSlam as WWE has invested too much time in his build up to WrestleMania XXXII to not give him at least one significant run as WWE Champion. If the reports are true, then all the proof needed for that lies in Vince altering his opinion on the response Reigns gets from fans; we've heard JBL parrot Vince's line about Reigns getting a passionate response from fans whether the love him or hate him and while actually true in some ways, it's just an indicator that Vince's course on Reigns being a significant player is set. It's true that Reigns does garner "passionate" responses and that's a good thing really, Cena's been getting similar responses for years. The mind set of modern fans isn't about clear cut good vs. bad, at least for a significant number of fans, and a sign that Reigns isn't over would be if fans were sitting on their hands and you could hear crickets chirping during his matches.

A lot of fans would want to see Styles win the title but, at the same time, you have to take into account how many other wrestlers are currently on the roster that they'd also like to see win the strap. Seth Rollins is back and it's obvious there'll be a ton of interest in seeing him regain the championship. A lot of fans would love to see Cesaro, Zayn or Owens win the title, I've no doubt there'll be a clamor for Finn Balor to become champion not too long after he makes it to the main roster, there's significant support for Ambrose to become champion, etc. Many fans don't just want to see these guys win the title, they want them to have significant runs with it, which in and of itself makes it more difficult for all of them to get their shot as time goes by due to age, injury and new faces popping up on the main roster. In Styles' case, he may well have waited too many years before finally coming to WWE.

No, WWE just wanted a competent and hot hand to bring Reigns decent matches and wins. There was never any intention to give Styles the title. Styles getting the title does not meet their Roman agenda. AJ will most likely now get thrown in to the mid card fray to trade wins and put on good lengthy matches with guys like Owens and Cesaro.

It is going to take a ton of fan support to get him the title.

This.

PLUS, being thrown into a feud with the WWE Champ immediately upon debuting is a huge push in and of itself, regardless of the fact he was destined to lose to RR, no matter how much support he has right now.

I see a day when AJ holds that title high, but it doesn't fit the plan for the moment, which as we saw last night is clearly being carved out for Roman and Seth. And rightly so, IMO. they've invested enough in it thus far to go ahead and see it through back to Seth.

I hope they do right by AJ in the meantime, but you never know. He has done a "phenomenal" job in his matches with Roman, and I think has earned a continued upward push, even if it doesn't involve the title for a bit. I was even disappointed that they went ahead with the interruptions last night. i thought the two were doing just fine on their own.

But no, TNA's futile efforts to capitalize a few bucks off of WWE's activities is not going to affect Vince's decisions.

Vince will NEVER put the WWE title on anyone that was in TNA. Styles and those other tools (Samoa Joe, Roode, Young, Aries) are only there to job to Vince's NXT darlings.

Do you honestly think AJ Styles didn't win the WWE Championship because of some DVD release by TNA? I mean... really? AJ Styles hasn't even lost his push. Sure the booking last night was terrible, and the finisher kickouts were ridiculous. However Styles lasted a long time in the RR, has had great feuds with Jericho and Reigns (even if he lost), and is part of the best faction in WWE (even though that's not saying much)... and he has done all of this within FIVE months of debuting. Styles has not lost his push. In fact he's being pushed more than anyone besides Reigns.

Do you honestly think AJ Styles didn't win the WWE Championship because of some DVD release by TNA? I mean... really? AJ Styles hasn't even lost his push. Sure the booking last night was terrible, and the finisher kickouts were ridiculous. However Styles lasted a long time in the RR, has had great feuds with Jericho and Reigns (even if he lost), and is part of the best faction in WWE (even though that's not saying much)... and he has done all of this within FIVE months of debuting. Styles has not lost his push. In fact he's being pushed more than anyone besides Reigns.

You think WWE aren't putting over your darling.Heck, look at how TNA treated A.J. Styles.

They had an angle where he "accidentally" married Karen Angle. They had a story where he couldn't get a title shot for a year, and everything went wrong for him. And then, there was the "Claire Lynch" storyline.

When Hogan, Bischoff and others came to TNA, Styles (as a TNA original) was made to look foolish time and again.

You should be thankful that, after all that, Vince still decided to sign A.J., and that he still is cheered by fans, such was the burial in his later years in TNA.

He has a cool new look, (I like the long hair, beard and gloves) and got a WWE Title shot and main event five months after debuting. He didn't even start in NXT. Vince had such confidence in him, that he started straight on the main roster (how many others, other than Sting, have done that in the last three years)?

If anything, A.J. Styles has had his reputation salvaged and enhanced. He will probably be in the MITB match, and might even win it (I still tip Kevin Owens as Mr MITB, as I think they can get a bit of mileage out of it), but Styles is being groomed for big things, rather than being buried.

You think WWE aren't putting over your darling.Heck, look at how TNA treated A.J. Styles.

They had an angle where he "accidentally" married Karen Angle. They had a story where he couldn't get a title shot for a year, and everything went wrong for him. And then, there was the "Claire Lynch" storyline.

When Hogan, Bischoff and others came to TNA, Styles (as a TNA original) was made to look foolish time and again.

You should be thankful that, after all that, Vince still decided to sign A.J., and that he still is cheered by fans, such was the burial in his later years in TNA.

He has a cool new look, (I like the long hair, beard and gloves) and got a WWE Title shot and main event five months after debuting. He didn't even start in NXT. Vince had such confidence in him, that he started straight on the main roster (how many others, other than Sting, have done that in the last three years)?

If anything, A.J. Styles has had his reputation salvaged and enhanced. He will probably be in the MITB match, and might even win it (I still tip Kevin Owens as Mr MITB, as I think they can get a bit of mileage out of it), but Styles is being groomed for big things, rather than being buried.

What? I said Styles was the second most pushed wrestler on the roster. Go back and read my post. I'm pretty sure you meant to reply to another.

You're really that big of a mark to think AJ Styles was going to beat Roman Reigns at these 2 PPV's?... It was easily the most predictable match on the card both times.. Reigns is not losing the title in 2016. Fans just have to deal with it, unfortunately.

No, wwe just ignores the TNA connection for all thier stars so it doesn't matter. Look at Eric Young and Bobby Roode - no mention of TNA, made out to be big deals in NXT. THey will refer to him as a former IWGP champ or whatever it is and not even worry about his TNA past. No, this is wwe "rebuilding" Styles. Push him but don't let him win, move him down the ladder for a bit, them move him back up and push him again and maybe make him champ. There was no way he was going to get the title after less than 6 months, not with them pushing Reigns so hard.

TNA releasing a DVD of AJ Styles has no bearing on the creative direction of WWE, after all it's highly unlikely AJ benefitted from it in anyway what so ever. He was never going to take the title of Reigns, and most certainly not at a B-show PPV. I'd be very surprised if AJ ever gets to hold the WWE championship, hes not exactly what the WWE would consider "Face of the company" material. Thats not a knock against Styles, hes a tremendously talented guy and is perfectly capable of it, but it all comes down to his look. Your average fan would have a hard time believing this guy can take on a Roman Reigns or a John Cena or a Triple H without being squashed like a bug and we all know WWE panders to the lowest common denominator, which would be your average fan. 15-20 years ago AJ Styles and the words Heavyweight Championship never would have been seen in the same sentence, let alone booked as a match.

I'm asking this simply because after AJ Styles became the #1 contender before payback TNA comes out with 'The best The Essential AJ Styles Collection. This was released shortly after he won the match. It seemed to me that TNA was trying to profit off WWE's pushing AJ. Seeing this I can't help but think that TNA is the reason that AJ lost at Payback and Extreme Rules. Not that I didn't think the matches were great I just feel that AJ's push to WWE Champion was stopped cause of the TNA dvd release.

I don't want to be sarcastic or give the rude awakening you don't make sense just because TNA came out with Best Of Aj Styles collection doesn't mean he lost! I knew he was going to job ala STING /Seth Rollins style SS series way anyway. Mc Moron doesn't elevate any ex WCW , ex TNA stars or ex ROH stars he buries them and the fact that many here think A Jobber Styles will win the WHC will never happen as STING never won either!
Aries, Eric Young and Bobby Roode will be jobbers for nxt stars and make them look like jobbers period! There is no push as wwe is considered a cemetery where wrestlers get buried in wwe cemetery and their career goes down there
Difference is in TNA any ex wwe star gets the main event level and wins the WHC and get noticed more quicker which I think she has to start making them job more often. Dixie gives them the red carpet , champagne and caviar unlike mc moron!

I think that TNA has nothing to do with AJ's loss.

We all knew that he wasn't going to win the title, didn't we? Reigns has just started his 3rd title reign after Wrestlemania 32. He won't be losing it soon unlike the previous two title reigns.

I believe that Reigns would be the champion atleast till Summerslam.

AJ Styles should surely become WWE World Heavyweight Champion in future but he surely won't do so by beating Reigns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back