Did John Cena just drop a hint at who's winning the HIAC?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by Just Zay'n, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Just Zay'n

Just Zay'n Occasional Pre-Show

Obvious speculation is obvious. But you never know.

"If [Shane] beats Undertaker then I can confidently say that's probably the last time we are going to see Undertaker because if the Undertaker is as good as he says he is, for him to lose to someone coming off a seven year sabbatical, maybe you've lost a step kid."

This seemed like a pretty odd thing for him to say. It kind of ties into Vince's stipulation that 'Taker won't wrestle at 'Mania ever again if he loses.

What I think they're doing is to set up for Undertaker vs Sting. They're trying to make us think that it's absolutely not going to happen, by making 'Taker lose to Shane this Sunday. And then... surprise! Not only that, but Sting said the rumors of him retiring are just rumors, and that he has one dream match still left inside of him...

2. Brian440

Brian440 Dark Match Winner

As much as I would love to see Sting vs Taker, it's not happening unless somehow Sting's neck injury is all a huge work, which I HIGHLY doubt. HOF induction aside, Sting is 57 years old, and while he's in magnificent shape for his age, he had the same injury that essentially caused edge, who is 2 decades younger to retire. I think he's done and denying the rumors so he can announce it when he's ready, on his terms.

Don't get me wrong, I admit, I would mark out for Sting and Undertaker to finally have the dream match but at the same time, Sting has been my all time favorite for nearly 20 years, since I was 9. Steve Borden, the man, has always come off like a genuine good man and is obviously a family man. I do not want to see him end up in a wheel chair.

3. Garak

Garak Occasional Pre-Show

This reminds me of another storyline hole. If Vince and the authority are "gone" if Shane wins, where does he get the authority to decide when Undertaker wrestles after that match? What I get out of it is that if Shane loses, Vince McMahon gets to continue making decisions, and if Shane wins, Vince McMahon gets to continue making decisions. That's a fantastic stipulation.

4. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

If anything I would argue that it is Cena hinting that he will be facing Taker in the future. Which is possible if rumors are true that they were supposed to fight at WM 32 before his injury. He called him 'kid', which is kind of an insult for anyone to say to Taker.

Not that I think Taker will lose. I still think Shane will go back to China after doing his dad this favor. I just think Cena is in the mindset of creating some drama between him and Taker to sow the seeds for something big.

I have no idea how this would make anyone think it alluded to Sting at all.

5. dsotm5150

dsotm5150 Pre-Show Stalwart

I thought the stipulation was Shane "controls" RAW not WWE

6. GOOZEKING

GOOZEKING Getting Noticed By Management

Didn't CENA himself lose to the rock at mania 28 and the rock didn't wrestle for 8 years.

justinept likes this.
  7. justinept

justinept Championship Contender

Yes... And that's clearly the tongue-in-cheek joke Cena was making with this comment.

8. Garak

Garak Occasional Pre-Show

That's technically true, but the way that was being glossed over afterwards, I was unsure then and am unsure now if that was misworded by Vince. They all kept going on afterwards how he who controls Raw controls WWE. In any event, from a continuity standpoint, it's just a nightmare, even by wrestling standards.

9. Azane

Azane Mid-Card Championship Winner

They've gone very far out of their way to make the terms very clear on this match with Shane controlling RAW, and Undertaker's last wrestlemania match.

The Announcers keep misconstruing it (purposely or not, who knows?), and it's making a lot of misconceptions pop up. Undertaker's Mania restriction can just be ignored or "removed" at any time, the guys not making 2m a year to wrestle 2-3 matches and sitting out Wrestlemania unless he's physically unable to compete.

And Shane controlling RAW will probably last a month or 2, then we'll see Vince vs Shane vs Stephanie/HHH in some form for ultimate control, then we're back to the same old.

The real travesty is that Cole, JBL and Saxton have a billion guidelines on how to announce, but can't keep the stipulations to the "most important match" straight, when the wording was super specific purposely when stipulations were made (again, it might just be Moronic announcer syndrome, and WWE insulting our intelligence like they [JBL] Love to do).

Also, Cena's quote was just to generate buzz and hype, keep in mind, he's still under WWE contract, so his job while injured is still to sell tickets, WWE has been doing everything they can to make it seem like Shane isn't winning this match (99% chance he wins with how the builds gone).

The Afterthought of adding an easily overturned stipulation if Taker loses, and every wrestler and their mother tweeting and interviewing saying there's no way Shane wins. WWE is too obvious sometimes with their Social Media army.

10. kadroan

kadroan King Of The Ring

I think Sting is done. I can't see WWE clearing him to wrestle especially at his age.

11. Navdeep

Navdeep Dark Match Winner

Technically no, Rock did wrestle before facing Cena.

12. armenta541

armenta541 Dark Match Jobber

Did anyone think this might just be a setup for Shane and Stephanie to get rid of Vince for good? They failed years ago in their "Invasion", and took a long time to get back in good standing with their father. What if this is a more legitimate way of them getting what they finally want. Complete control without the idea of Vince watching every move they make and being able to kick them out of power whenever he wishes. Even Triple H could be in on it as well. If we see some former NXT talent like KO or maybe even Baron Corbin or Samoa Joe interfere in the match.

13. kenvin100

kenvin100 The Next One

I don't blame the announcers for doing their jobs. If anything, booking screwed up the stipulations for the match to a point it doesn't make much sense. Remember the box that Vince referred to the night Shane returned? What happened to that part of the story? This feud has way to many holes and is only becoming a must watch match because Shane is back to wrestle Taker inside HIAC. Storyline wise, I don't think we'll have all the answers until Monday Night Raw.

14. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

No, but he did have a little "heelishness" in that HOF speech...

WWE is in a can't lose situation here, but with Sting "retiring" last night then it takes that "last big match" off the table. I've no doubt Steve Borden was very serious and like when Warrior said the same thing a few years ago, he didn't LOOK great... he was clearly pale and in pain.

We know Taker has looked and felt ill for a while so perhaps if there is no Sting match, this is where he wants to "get off" and doing so can help the company reboot and retool itself. It'll be an insane match, full of run ins but Shane is the right guy to end it... even if it's the most reluctant pin in history or somehow he realises he's been played., he'll do it.