Did Anyone Else Notice....

Adam Rush

Can you feel...the electricity?
...the parallels between Shawn Michaels and Dolph Ziggler?

Let's start with size. Michaels is 6-1 and weighs in at 225. Ziggler is 6-0 and weighs in at 213. They are of very similar size.

Another comparison is in the way they sell. Both of them could sell a beer to CM Punk!

Both guys also have similar fighting styles, using speed and agility to their advantage.

A comparison I noticed today is in their nicknames. HBK was billed at one point as "The Showstopper", while Ziggler is billed as "The Showoff".

Both men even used tag team runs to catapult to the top. Granted, Ziggler was somewhat established before, but he teamed with Swagger before he got the big push. Michaels, meanwhile, was part of The Rockers.

Now, HBK went on to become one of the all-time greats. What do you think?

Can Ziggler be the next HBK?

A lot of people have written about this in the past. I don't see it though. Shawn Michaels, in my opinion, is far better in the ring than almost any other wrestler including Ziggler. HBK is also fantastic on the mic and very charismatic- when Dolph opens his mouth, my first instinct is to hit mute. Shawn Michaels is certainly one of the best wrestlers in the history of the entire business, I don't think Ziggler will ever get to that level- he is just missing the it factor.

I can see some similarities, you're right, they both sell like a million bucks. But Dolph comes off to me as a college amateur wrestler, who threw on some tights and imitates what he saw on TV. I'm not saying he is bad at it, but Shawn lives and breathes pro-wrestling. That was all he ever was to me.

I think their styles are very different from one another and they are both good in their own right. But Dolph has a long way to go, to the moon and back in fact, before I will compare him favourably to Michaels. Although that isn't to insult Dolph, Michaels is just that bloody good.

Just My Opinion.

There is a few similarities between Shawn Michales and Dolph Ziggler but thats it a few similarities. Dolph is not as talented as Shawn you never mentioned how HBK could get a crowd reaction on the mic Ziggler does not do that even close to HBK. How about Sherry was overshadowed and not even thought about when she was with HBK they had to break her away from him. AJ Lee is the part that has the fans interested in Ziggler HBK is a great seller in the ring like you said but Ziggler is a overseller Overall Ziggler is not even close to being equal or similar to HBK Shawn Michales

I see the similarities. I love HBK, I love Ziggler. I however see more of shawn in daniel bryan. All three can sell well, execute impressive maneuvers, and talk on the mic. All three men can lead even the great khali to an impressive match. THAT is the IT factor in my mind, someone who enhances the talent they are performing with while also putting themselves over in great ways.

The one thing that hbk had going for him , at times, was the politics. I know nothing of how ziggler handles himself backstage.

...the parallels between Shawn Michaels and Dolph Ziggler?

Let's start with size. Michaels is 6-1 and weighs in at 225. Ziggler is 6-0 and weighs in at 213. They are of very similar size.

Another comparison is in the way they sell. Both of them could sell a beer to CM Punk!

Both guys also have similar fighting styles, using speed and agility to their advantage.

A comparison I noticed today is in their nicknames. HBK was billed at one point as "The Showstopper", while Ziggler is billed as "The Showoff".

Both men even used tag team runs to catapult to the top. Granted, Ziggler was somewhat established before, but he teamed with Swagger before he got the big push. Michaels, meanwhile, was part of The Rockers.

Now, HBK went on to become one of the all-time greats. What do you think?

Can Ziggler be the next HBK?

***ZIGGLER doesnt look like HBK, Their body frames/Physic are different! HBK is way more Athletic than Ziggler, even though Ziggler is leaner and has more muscle tone! HBK has CHARISMA, HBK has THE "IT FACTOR", HBK WORKS THE MIC! Ziggler is just right around average at best!

God why does everybody complain about Ziggler on the mic? I've never once been thrown off by it and have always thought that while he may not be the best he is far better than alot of the people who are given more time on the mic. Not pissed off or anything, I just can't understand why everyone puts him down for his mic skills

Let me give you another angle looking at this comparison.

HBK doesn't sound like a whiny frat boy on the mic.

There you go. Thank you very much.

HBK had this gravely delivery and that innate (beaten to death) charisma that made him stand out. Initially he was over because the ladies luuuuuvd him. And I mean luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvd him. Its freaky how over he was during 94-96 with the ladies. He was also, in the meanwhile, tearing it down all across America with the likes of Bret, Razor, Diesel doing the Wrestling Challenge tapings. I have those Coliseum videos, well I used to anyway.

So no, Ziggler is no way near HBK. Never will be.

Hey I like Ziggler just fine!

In before all the HBK marks bash this thread for even comparing the two. lol

They're extremely similar. On the current roster there is nobody that is closer to being like Shawn.

I still think it's too early into his sub-main event status to be making these comparisons. We gotta give the guy a couple more years.

He's very good,

But I don't think he will ever be as great as John Cena, Rock, Austin, Taker, HBK or Hogan.

He's not been entrusted enough by WWE.

They are similar to an extent, Ziggler even uses the super-kick. HBK was the "heart-break kid" and Dolph is a good looking guy. However, I don't see much beyond that. Ziggler is good, I enjoy his work but he is not, and never ever ever will be near HBK's level. He is one of the all-time greats; whereas Dolph will just be remembered as a solid world champ.

I see a much closer comparison between Ziggler and Hennig than Ziggler and HBK.

I think Ziggler excels making the other person look better while HBK excels with the spotlight on him. Not saying HBK didn't make others look good, it's that a lot of times it didn't seem like HBK needed an opponent for the match. I know many people who still like to say the ladder match at WM10 was all HBK and a ladder.

Now the person on the roster who to me resembles HBK is Daniel Bryan. He reminds me of HBK before his IC run. Just kind of floating in random matches waiting his turn. Once he gets the chance to have the spotlight, he's going to be the guy on each card everyone wants to see.

Nearly everyone that comes to wrestle zone and half of its staff seem to really wanna lick dolph zigglers balls everyone talks about him being this fantastic seller. there are guys that can sell way better them him cm punk for one to me dolph ziggler is just a mr. perfect wanna be

In all honesty, Dolph reminds me of "The One" Billy Gunn, not Shawn Michaels. The look, the body type, even uses Billy's Fame-Ass-Er.

The Key for Ziggler is going to be not needing a full overhaul to go face. He needs to keep the cocky show-off angle but lose the arrogance in favor of bravado.

They tried this with Del Rio and it crashed and burned. Dolph will pull it off much better.

This kind of thread makes me laugh and before you neg rep, compare the men themselves and their careers, not size or look.

Shawn of today is a retired, late 40's man who comes dad dancing down with a combover to a song he is singing about himself stating he is a "sexy boy". So saying "Shawn is x,y and z" is wrong and not a comparison. Shawn was one of the best of all time in his prime, but he is not now. It took him. a long time to get there, a four year sabbatical (the injury wasn't thay bad) and finding god and a family. So you have to compare Zig with Shawn from the past.

Shawn got better with age that much is true, but at times he is overrated, especially on the mic. At his best "mic period" he was basically either goofing off with Hunter telling cock jokes cos they had tried everything else to beat WCW or taking a personal feud with Bret public.

Ziggler now is where Shawn was in mid 96. Mic wise it's clicking at last but his push hasn't gone as planned. He has enough talent to warrant another go through a hate feud like Shawn had with Bret. Del Rio might be that guy for him but Zig has to make people invest in him. Playing off real injuries never helped Shawn and won't for Zig.

But this is crucial, Shawn had a lot more real experience by the same stage of career than Zig has. Shawn had main evented the AWA with Marty, had several big pushes in the E and worked with people better than him to get him to improve to the point where by the end of the Rockers he was already better than most of tje singles roster. Zig hasn't had that, he has worked with talent less able in the main and has had far less grounding and there are guys with clearly better skills and experience both above and snapping at his heels. sad but that's the state of the biz today.

One thing you can compare is they both have bad habits like overselling and recklessness. When I see Zig ragdoll sometimes it's like a bad impression of Shawn against Hogan. Shawn would go for risky moves and bumps and take bad risks outside the arena, the coffin bump that "ended" his first career. Zig has done similar but injured others with his risks like Barrett.

Probably sounds like I hate both guys although I don't. Shawn is easily top ten of all time and Zig has good potential, but just like Shawn when he was struggling to justify his place as champ over Davey and Vader in 96, he is struggling to show me why he deserves it over a Barrett, Christian,Jericho or Bryan. The E needs Zig to crack it like they needed Shawn to, but Zig won't get the four years HBK did to grow into it. If he hasn't cracked it by WM30, he's just another also ran.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back