• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Decadence Of "The Monster"

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
"The Monster" Abyss, as we know has been TNA's resident monster/giant for well over 5 years. And in those 5 years a lot has changed. His role, his look, his gimmick but more importantly, people's opinion about him. "He sucks" "They changed him, now he's no good" "He's just a Kane/Mankind rip-off" "Just a neurotic r*t*rd" "Fat and sloppy" These and many more phrases are thrown when his name is mentioned these days. But when you look at the general opinion, it's never really straight. Some people point to his face turn and continued alterations as the fall of his character while others blame his "mystifying" physique. But's to blame for the fall of this once formidable behemoth? Was it creative's fault? Were the decisions made by Dutch Mantel, Vince Russo and company the ultimate downfall of Abyss? Was Abyss simply doomed from the start due to his reliance on "hardcore" and lack of overall ring ability? Or has Abyss become sloppy over the past few years? People scold "The Monster", but they don't really say what he does wrong.

In my eyes, I place the blame on creative. His mystique was killed the moment the whole "I am your father" cliche with James Mitchell took place. Before that, he was as big a powerhouse as Samoa Joe was back then. People have ignorantly talked about TNA giving somebody a "Goldberg" push. They seem to have overlooked Abyss. And just like Goldberg, as soon as he reached the top and, like Tweety would say, he fell down and go BOOM!

These days, TNA has tried to resurrect that mystique, but to no avail. He's just way too exposed at this point to go "black to black" with. You can't look at 2005-2006 Abyss without thinking about how goofy 2007-2009 Abyss was or how over-the-top 2010 Abyss was.

But what's your point of view on the Abyss debacle?

i like abyss. his character is definently different than most "monster" types. for one he is actually quick in the ring for a guy his size. but i do like it better when he didnt talk as much and had james mitchel as his manager. mitchel had a mouth on him and just looked creapy.

I find it hard to take Abyss seriously.

Ever since Hogan tried to make him a top babyface and then turned him heel it's been a disaster.

His babyface run earlier last year was pathetic (he's a monster for Gods' sake!) and then he chaged on a dime to a murderous heel.

Just stupid writing and booking.

I'm with you, KJ, but to me, the downfall wasn't the Chris Parks exposure via Mitchell. The real downfall came after his feud with Mitchell and Mesias had ended and the feud with Sting began. The whole "I'll save your soul, Abyss" thing is what destroyed him, IMO, because it was the first time Abyss was essentially teased as a face. All the "monster" qualities were humanized as "Chris Parks" the man was unraveled by Sting.

To some degree, I do feel that the creative team dropped the ball with storylines & angles designed to humanize Abyss. Abyss is a monster, that's the entire basis and foundation for the Abyss character. Take away the soulless, fiendish monster and all you've got is a fat guy in a half a mask coming across like a cheap amalgam of Kane & Mankind.

When James Mitchell was Abyss' handler, being his mouthpiece, etc. Abyss had a mystique about him, a mysterious arua that basically screamed "Fuck with me and it's your peril". The Undertaker & Kane both had that in the early parts of their characters with Paul Bearer. One thing that the WWE hasn't tried to do with Taker or Kane is to really make them "human" in the same sense as other wrestlers on the roster. The WWE has portrayed Taker almost always as this "supernatural" entity and Kane as a soulless beast. Both of them have been involved in shitty feuds here and there over the course of their time and there have been a few tweaks. But, the core elements of who their characters are and what they're about have remained untouched.

For what TNA has done with Abyss over the course of the past few years, they'd have been better off just scrapping the Abyss gimmick and repackaging him as something else. When Abyss just became an outright abomination to watch on television was when he was doing the whole neurotic 10 year old therapy shit with Stevie Richards, which eventually led into Abyssamania in 2010. Since all that, I just can't take Abyss seriously anymore. Once you've seen a "monster" stripped of his edge and portrayed as something that it in every way the opposite of what made him a monster in the first place, it's all but impossible for that edge to be reclaimed.

Jack-Hammer hits the nail on the head; once you humanize a mosnter, his mystique is all but gone. To be fair, I did like his storyline with Sting. It showcased the fact that Abyss could cut a good 'monster' promo. I think I remember reading along the lines that creative had plans of dropping his mask at the end of that storyline, but they didn't.

But Abyssamania, absolutely, horrendously DESTROYED whatever demonic remnant he had left. One of the worst storylines, I have ever had the misfortune to see. Coupled with the fact that he has put on weight makes him look like a clumsy, screaming oaf than an intimidating giant.

They can try and fix him, tell him to lose the flab (Take notes Joe!), a change of ring attire and (sticking my head out here), make him the man that destroys Immortal.

He needs to go on a Slim-diet, Warpath!

imo the abyssamania shit, as painful as it was to watch...was the only way to to turn him heel. Although yes he is humanized and now I just see him as a crazy guy in a mask. not a monster to me anymore but certainly not normal. the whole janice thing was sorta....eh....why give the weapon you use a name. why even talk to it? why oh why? just stupid

It's sad. Abyss had potential to be a massive tool for TNA to have. Like Kane & Taker in WWE, he is perfectly suited for putting in the path of a smaller guy and making him look like a threat because he overcame the giant monster. Losing big matches never seemed to hurt him - he came out of Lockdown 05 looking as strong as AJ and I also enjoyed his series with Christian.

In 2010 he lost that aura but a lot of TNA's guys did so he is not alone. Like with the other guys, with solid and consistent booking he could easily be the monster again.

But this wont happen while he is involved with Immortal. it doesnt suit the character, who is by nature, supposed to be a lone wolf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back