Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards 2013

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It's that time of year in which Dave Meltzer gives out his WON annual awards that makes some fans so deliriously happy they spray their shorts, some fans so pissed that they eat steel & shit nails and some fans so confused they don't know whether to be happy, upset or laugh at the winners.

Best Of 2013 Awards

WON Wrestler of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi
WON Most Valuable MMA Fighter: Georges St. Pierre
WON Most Outstanding Wrestler: Hiroshi Tanahashi
WON Best Box Office Draw: Georges St. Pierre
WON Feud of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada
WON Tag Team of the Year: Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns
WON Most Improved Wrestler of the Year: Roman Reigns
WON Best Interviews of the Year: Paul Heyman
WON Most Charismatic: Hiroshi Tanahashi
WON Best Technical Wrestler of the Year: Daniel Bryan
WON Best Brawler of the Year: Katsuyori Shibata
WON Best Flying Wrestler of the Year: Kota Ibushi
WON Most Underrated Wrestler of the Year: Antonio Cesaro
WON Promotion of the Year: New Japan Pro Wrestling
WON Best Weekly Television Show of the Year: WWE NXT
WON Most Outstanding Fighter of the Year: Cain Velasquez
WON Match of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - April 7, 2013
WON Fight of the Year: Gilbert Melendez vs. Diego Sanchez - October 19, 2013
WON Rookie of the Year: Yohei Komatsu
WON Best Non-Wrestler of the Year: Paul Heyman
WON Best Television Announcer of the Year: William Regal
WON Best Major Wrestling Show of the Year: New Japan G-1 Day 4
WON Best Wrestling Maneuver of the Year: Kazuchika Okada's Rainmaker
WON Best Booker of the Year: Jado & Gedo - New Japan Pro Wrestling
WON Promoter of the Year: Dana White - Ultimate Fighting Championship
WON Best Gimmick of the Year: The Wyatt Family
WON Best Pro Wrestling Book of the Year: Mad Dogs, Midgets & Screw Jobs - Pat LaParade & Bertrand Hebert
WON Best Pro Wrestling DVD of the Year: Jim Crockett Promotions: The Good Old Days - Highspots.com

Worst Of 2013 Awards
WON Most Overrated Wrestler of the Year: Randy Orton
WON Worst Television Announcer of the Year: Taz
WON Worst Major Wrestling Show of the Year: WWE Battleground
WON Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic of the Year: WWE exploiting Paul Bearer's Death
WON Worst Television Show of the Year: TNA Impact Wrestling
WON Worst Worked Match of the Year: 10 Diva Tag match - November 24, 2013
WON Worst Feud of the Year: Big Show vs. The Authority
WON Worst Promotion of the Year: Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
WON Worst Gimmick of the Year: Aces & Eights

Not many surprises this year. WWE gets something like a kid who receives a grudgingly but appreciative pat on the back from his dad while getting glowered at simultaneously, UFC gets its usual kiss on the cheek, New Japan Pro Wrestling gets sucky sucky & loved long time, TNA gets anally raped with a lead pipe wrapped in barbed wire and every other company doesn't exist.

Yeah, I could care less about this. It's mixing and mashing three distinct businesses that are catering to entirely different customer bases, and doing it in a way that makes comparison virtually impossible. It's made to look "smart", when really it makes not a single lick of sense.

Seriously, we're going to compare UFC vs WWE on a "who's better" level?

In some years past I have questioned his bias for NJPW, but every award won this year is deserved because the consensus is pretty much out there that for those who have watched, in-terms of content NJPW >>>> WWE and everybody else. Fuck, everybody else combined! Some of the stuff New Japan did in 2013 was amazing; imagine going ten months without one show that crapped on by fans, or the leading Japanese broadcast newspaper labeling New Japan, "the best form of entertainment in Japan today, maybe the world", that's the equivilant of The New York Post calling WWE the best thing going right now on television!

I could care less for the MMA awards, TNA is TNA, it's not like it helps itself when it comes to not getting shit all over, WWE probably has a couple shouts in there for things it hasn't gotten but I did see the nominations and it was pretty fair. Kevin Steen's three year reign as Best Brawler has came to an end to Shibata; kind of funny.

I've seen many a promotions. TNA is not the worst. Not even close. How can TNA be even seen as bad when you have promotions like CZW botching every match and butchering the meaning of the word "wrestling" or WWC which can't even run a televised program in a coherent manner and has a feud that has been going for fucking 40 years. Or AAA Sin Limite which is essentially 3 Trios matches with a rotation of the same people with feuds that have been going for ages.

These awards are obvious biased bullshit. I get it, it's done by one guy. It would be like arguing with KB's grades for matches. But it gets to you when you see the same exact results each year and people glorify it by discussing it. Did Hiroshi Tanahashi have a college football game performing a chant associated to him? No. Were the Divas really worse in thier 3 minute matches than a match that had two men hitting each other with weedwackers and light bulbs for 15? Or freakin' Big Show vs Randy Orton? How could Roman Reigns improve when he wasn't even bad to begin with? Why in fuck's name is MMA involved in this?

OK, my rant is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back