Daniel Bryan's Return To Wrestling

Discussion in '[Hidden] World Wrestling Entertainment' started by Pay Per Ghost, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost squashed Disco Inferno to become

It maybe happening, and in 2018.

Brie Bella recently revealed on a podcast that she had given him her blessing to pursue his in ring dream AS LONG as the doctors green light it, whether in WWE or elsewhere.

His contract is up next year and all the stars are aligning to what could be a great summer if WWE doctors also green light him.

Excited?

ShinChan likes this.
  2. Cena Is A Punk Rocker

Cena Is A Punk Rocker Accidental spam artist

Looks like I'm gonna get to see Okada vs Danielson. Cool.

ShinChan likes this.
  3. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

No, because I have no desire to watch Bryan turn himself into a wheelchair bound vegetable.

WWE doctors won't clear him because they are facing heat and have a lawsuit against them due to concussions, so they aren't going to risk it. No medical staff in pro wrestling is going to provide the treatment and range of testing that WWE will. I'm not saying that Bryan is physically unfit to wrestle, but WWE is right to not take a risk considering what is happening in the sports science world with concussions.

The issue I have is that Bryan wrestles a style that doesn't protect his body. The suicide dives, the diving headbutt, the way he pinballs around the ring. He won the title at Wrestlemania, had to take time off due to serious injury, then came back and made no adjustments to his in ring style. It would be different if he had come back and cut out the moves that increased his risk of reinjurying something, but he didn't. The very next Wrestlemania he was trading headbutts on top of the ladder with Ziggler, another guy with concussion issues.

If he doesn't care about his long term health, that's his business and I have no issues with that in and of itself. I take issue with the fact that he is now a husband and father and he has a responsibility to be there for Brie and his daughter.

New Japan has had internal memos that say they are unlikely to clear him due to his concussion issues and his style in ROH lead to his share of issues as well. So if Bryan wants to go back to the bingo halls in front of three hundred people and end up like the Dynamite Kid in twenty years, then go for it, but I won't watch.

4. Pay Per Ghost

Surely he will tone it down.

He'd be a fool to go back as often to those bag of tricks and it's in his own hands really.

Steve Austin was a smooth as fuck worker till Owen had a brainfart and damn near crippled him. He rehabbed, came back and knew the hand he was dealt, and still got over.

5. shooter_mcgavin

shooter_mcgavin Mid-Card Championship Winner

Foley and Austin aren't vegetables on a wheelchair and they both probably had miles just as hard or even harder than Daniel Bryan.

Something tells me WWE is being a lot more cautious than any other doctor or practice. Isn't the doctor for WWE's concussion testing the same one depicted in the Will Smith film Concussion. Something tells me that movie might has something to do with him being extra careful with clearing people.

6. AnthonyM4

AnthonyM4 Getting Noticed By Management

Listen every doctor has said he was ok except wwe's. When Kurt Angle left wwe in 2006 everyone said he shouldn't wrestle because he'd end up in a wheelchair. 11 years later he is walking fine. If Bryan wants to wrestle after he is free from wwe, then I say power to him. Besides I miss the American Dragon Bryan Danielson.

7. BaconBits

BaconBits WZ Czar of Steaks

He didn't after his previous injured reserve stints, what make you think he'd do it now, especially when any of the potential promotions where he might land are either spotfest central or stiff as fuck?

@smarkmouth likes this.
  8. Spencesc11

Spencesc11 Getting Noticed By Management

I would expect him to sign with Global Force Wrestling. Jarrett would take the chance knowing the drawing power he would get.

9. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll take it seriously when/if it actually happens. Bryan may simply be having a little fun getting the internet fans buzzing, which is Jim Ross' hypothesis, so we'll just have to see.

It's doubtful Bryan will be cleared by WWE doctors because it's not convenient for the company. Right now, you've got 50 or 60 former roster members trying to sue them and if Bryan was cleared to return and got hurt again and/or had a seizure right in the middle of the match, it could be disastrous for Bryan and it'd lend credence to those claiming the company is negligent when it comes to the well being of the talent.

As a fan, I'd love ot see him be able to wrestle again. I personally don't think he should risk it but I'm not the guy's wife or his mother so if he laces up the boots again, gets hurt or exacerbates the problems he already has, then it's his own fault.

ShinChan likes this.
  10. GOOZEKING

GOOZEKING Getting Noticed By Management

Lol where are the people that said Brie would convince Bryan not to wrestle cause of their kid. The way I see it is this, if Bryan legitimately has as bad as brain issues as people say it is than 1) no doctor will even consider clearing him and 2) Brie wouldn't encourage him to go against wwe and risk his life.

11. BaconBits

I doubt it, actually. He's very injury prone, and his injuries tend to be pretty major. The last thing his company needs is another WWE cast off coming in, getting the title, and then not being around to ever defend it.

12. stingray11214

stingray11214 Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie

If VKM and Kevin Dunn were not into "Lookism", DBry would have been in the ring eons ago. The minute DBry steps into the ring, he becomes the de facto face of the company. This would have done serious damage to the promotion of Roman Reigns. They would have encouraged him to adapt a "Miz-type" style so he would not get hurt. But, bringing DBry back in a wrestling capacity would hurt Roman Reigns, the superhero from Central Casting.
    DBry would go the Indy route if New Japan took a pass. And, he would make a fortune working less, keeping all of his merch, never paying for ANYTHING except the rental car, and drawing sell out crowds to every town he goes to. Why do you think VKM did not release him? Because VKM knows DBry can still go, and he would give a boost to ANY promotion. Once 2018 comes around, DBryan will be commanding Rey Misterio money... and he will get it and more, while being away from Tucson less.

ShinChan likes this.
  13. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Court case or not, Roman or not, it is hard to believe Vince would hold DB back if he felt it was safe (enough) for him to wrestle. That makes the idea of him wrestling not all that appealing for me. There are plenty of organizations out there that would give him a spot but I doubt they could capatilize on what made him his greatest and my focus would be the same focus I had watching the last scene in The Wrestler.

Wildcat66 and ShinChan like this.
  14. Rainbow Yaz

E-Fed Mod

He clearly has no regard for his own body and health though. He lied about injuries and tried to hide concussions from WWE officials.

He had a chance to tone it down, and he didn't. How many times does he need to be on the shelf for an extended period before he changes his style?

And if he does change his style, I don't think he will be as popular. He really doesn't have a character, he isn't someone who can cut memorable promos, and most of his popularity, popularity that I bought into and enjoyed, was based on how hard he worked in ring and was ignored in favor of inferior workers. If he comes back, he won't recapture that popularity because he already reached the summit, he had his moment. Whoever takes a chance on him isn't going to be able to recreate the underdog character.

15. BaconBits

Another thing that nobody seems to consider in all of this... both DB and Brie are professional wrestlers. They're almost assuredly working, especially if they're still being paid large sums of money by the WWE. The whole gives no fucks DB is his character right now.

16. Papa Pillman

Papa Pillman I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan

I hope against all hope that Bryan and the WWE both vehemently stick to their guns; leading to Bryan's exit from the company after his contract expires, and opening the door for him to enter New Japan Pro Wrestling as an active roster member.

There are literally dozens of fresh and intriguing matches for Bryan on the NJPW roster, including several legitimate top flight dream matches(against the likes of Tana, Okada, Naito, Omega, Ibushi, Ishii, etc.).

The possibility of Bryan headlining solely New Japan branded shows on American soil, that are airing live on AXStv to a national wrestling audience, while defending the IWGP US title against top of the card NJPW guys, could cause the closest thing to recognizable competition that WWE has seen since Turner had his pocket books open in the late 90s.

The other biggest dream scenario here is combining this above stated possibility with the tease from the G1 finale that Katsuyori Shibata may also be looking to convince doctors that he is eventually fit for a possible return to the ring. Considering the circumstances, and the seemingly impossible nature of a Bryan/Shibata match ever going down as recently as even a few short months ago, that match-up occurring at some point in 2018/2019 represents a dream match on the magnitude of anything that can be drawn up in the current wrestling landscape. The image of Bryan and Shibata standing center ring and fearlessly and unhesitantly exchanging stiff shoot headbutts in front of an exceedingly intelligent and appreciative crowd would be the greatest moment that I have ever witnessed as a wrestling fan, and would be a glorious "Fuck You" to so many western fans who are critical of their passion and chosen style.

ShinChan likes this.
  17. Pay Per Ghost

But how long does the facade last?

It's old news DBry teasing wrestling and not wrestling. If this is another case of the Bryans working it really has no pay off if he doesn't wrestle.

I should say that I am against the man wrestling if he doesn't learn from his mistakes and isn't 100%. It will be insane if he has the same schedule and works the same style. If he preserved as a talent and used in PPVs like the other GM Angle..fine!

Otherwise it's just suicide ffs.

18. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

By now, I already wrote my opinion on this so many time that it's not even funny. As much as bryan wants to wrestles again, I think whoever is dumb enough to take a risk on hin and his health just to make money just don't care about the well being of their performer.

I know bryan wants to wrestle again and never really accepted that his career is over. Also the fans are a big part of why he hasn't move on yet because the fans haven't accepted that his career as a in ring performer is over. But like brie said, yes he's trying a new experiemental procedure to get over his concussions issues, but doctors have said that it's still really risky and if they see that it might be to risky for his life then they will have to rethink this again.

On a personal level, I don't see what bryan need to prove in wrestling, he pretty much did everything so why risk your health because you still want to wrestle, but it's his decision if he want to go back or not and while I really don't want to see it happen because I'm scared that something similar to chris benoit happens because of it, some fans still want to see it happens so I'm good with that but I for one won't be watching is return if that happens.

Bryan had a hall of fame worthy career and should be sastified with this and move on in his life.

19. shooter_mcgavin

Interesting video about the Concussion testing

[YOUTUBE]cyf2eldJkK4[/YOUTUBE]

Apparently the Concussion testing DB failed was based on the standards you put to a MMA fighter.

Thing is WWE doesn't see themselves as a sport but entertainment so shouldn't DB pass based on the latter standards.

20. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No because while they see themselves as entertainment, the rest of the world see them as a combat sport. Plus you still have that class action lawsuit against them so if they let Bryan pass a test like that just because they don't see themselves as a sport then it's ammunition against them.

21. shooter_mcgavin

Problem here is they are using two sets of Standards when they see fit. They want to be called entertainment when it suits them and yet they want to be called sports when it comes to things like in this issue and other things.

Thing is thought DB did pass the tests it's just the WWE doctor, who may or may not have ultierer motives, and the NYC test which apparently exaggerated DB's result.

In any event if WWE can allow Foley to continue for 2 more years after KOTR 98, I don't see why they can't let DB wrestle part time?

22. Rainbow Yaz

E-Fed Mod

Because we didn't know nearly what we know about head injuries in '98 that we know now. It used to be that you suffered a concussion in, say the NFL, you sat out a couple plays until your vision stopped being double, then you went back in. Look at where that has gotten them today. Countless suicides, guys with severe memory loss and physical pain. Guys have come out and said they regret playing because of the state they are in.

With all the news and lawsuits on concussions, it would be stupid for WWE to allow a guy with the concussion and head injury history that Bryan has had. WWE don't want another Benoit type situation on their hands. I'm not saying that Bryan is going to kill his family, I'm saying if they cleared him given his history and he hurt himself again, they would be demonized.

Bryan has admitted to lying about his injuries and trying to cover up concussions, they can't trust him. They have no choice but to handle this the way they have.

If you think it's some conspiracy and WWE is purposely screwing Bryan, that's on you.

23. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Whenever discussions regarding Bryan's concussion issues come up, I sometimes go back to thinking about his exchange with Miz during the early days of Talking Smack. While the idea may have been to make Miz look bad as a heel by calling him a coward, a guy who's afraid to get hit, I found myself agreeing with Miz's statements as he's someone who's worked smart. While Miz's style isn't as visually spectacular or stiff looking as Bryan's, or a good many modern guys, Miz also doesn't have a body full of scar tissue, a surgically repaired neck, knees, elbows or hips or cranial trauma. I respect Bryan's passion, but he was reckless when it came to his own body too often and it eventually caught up with him, Bryan himself said that he had 3 concussions the first 6 months of his career.

24. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Until a secret recording gets revealed that you also said some pretty racist shit after cheating on your wife with your friend's wife.

As long as he hints or says that he will wrestle again, people will continue to ask him when he is going to wrestle again. You make more money while people are interested in you versus when they are not.

I don't know about 100% but I get your point.

25. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Like others have said, I personally don't want to see Bryan get hurt. The fan in me obviously would love to see him back in action in the ring. There's plenty of guys he could have great matches with on both Raw and Smackdown. However, he is a human being. He's had severe injuries that I would hate to see worsened. Look no further than how quickly he re-injured himself last time. It's simply not worth it. I would rather see him continue being Smackdown's General Manager. He has it really good right now. Gets to be a voice for the people supporting the face characters onscreen, gets to be a part of major events for the WWE, and can support his family in the process. All without the risk of an even more serious injury. He had his moment at Wrestlemania 30. Nothing will EVER top that for him. It's best for him to be a General Manager, husband, and father in this season of life instead.