Could the Sin Cara gimmick be passed on?

L@RISANO

R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
(Writing on mobile)

We all know that Mistico failed badly and has been released thereafter.
Hunico has taken over the character and has done a decent job with it without being anything special.

However, does anyone think the Sin Cara character can be used as one that can be passed on to different Superstars going forward?

Maybe a high-flyer like Adrien Neville can take it over and use it for some years until his abilities start to dwindle, then it can be passed on to someone else after and continued going forward...

I know there is Kallisto in NXT, but I do think that since Hunico as Sin Cara hasnt been frowned upon, maybe another proven up and coming high flyer might benefit with the Sin Cara character when moved up from NXT.

As far as I know, Sin Cara merchandise is still selling well for WWE. Cara is featured prominently in the new Scooby-Doo movie, and children love to wear masks at live events. With all that in mind, I absolutely think the Sin Cara gimmick can be revamped and tried on someone else.

Also, WWE is going to need more masked high-flyers whenever Rey calls it a career. Another Sin Cara is certainly worth a try. The gimmick needs a few minor tweaks and a more consistent performer. Mistico never fully adjusted to the WWE style (for better or worse).

NO.

Sin Cara sucks and it doesn't matter who is under the mask. WWE needs to bury that gimmick in a deep, dark hole and pretend it never happened. Nobody cares about Sin Cara. The company should stay away from masked luchadores in general because they almost never get over. Rey is the exception to the rule.

Keep the luchadore crap in AAA where it belongs with horrible wrestling.

It should be a smack down only character for Sin Cara. The kids love masked characters like that and so the character will never be buried altogether.

Contrary to what some in the IWC think, Professional Wrestling/Sports Entertainment is supposed to be fun. Sin Cara is a fun gimmick. The Lucha Libre style of Pro Graps is a storied part of its history. Why not keep the Sin Cara gimmick around? Under the right performer, it could be a huge thing. The masks sell, the in ring style is great to watch, and passing down a masked gimmick is something that is done in Mexico. Why not start this type of tradition in the WWE? I think it could be something special with time.

Depends on what you want to do with it. In reality almost any masked gimmick can be taken over by someone else - Suicide had at least 3 people and no one knew any different. As long as the look is maintained, someone else can take over. That doesn't mean fans will respond positively to it, or that they will reject it - it is a gamble. Problem with replacing Sin Cara is the look - you got that arm tattoo that either needs to be hidden and stay hidden or that the next person playing him needs to adapt. It sounds silly but you can't just say he got it removed and it is still the same person. The wwe universe may believe what they are told but that is pushing it. If you want the character to just stay where it is, just cover the arms and anyone without visible tattoos can play him. If you want the character to grow, makes it tougher as eventually people will see that he looks a little different than he did a few years earlier, he does moves a little differently, etc. Not saying you can't do it but you do need to be careful.

The Sin Cara gimmick should definitely be passed onto future cruiserweights as long as they could convincingly pull it off. A great example of a masked gimmick being continued for decades on end is in Japan with Tiger Mask. The first Tiger Mask wrestled from 1981 til 1983 in New Japan. The 5th Tiger Mask is still wrestling today, hence I definitely see Sin Cara as a gimmick which can be duplicated provided they give it to a damn good cruiserweight.

The answer to the question is yes. But do you push it under the rug & never really talk about it being Sin Cara 2 or 3 & 4? Or do you acknowledge it? & by acknowledging it you have to create a storyline. So what I would do is have the rights to the mask & name put up every year at WrestleMania. You don't have to be Hispanic to win either, just a cruiserweight.

I think it should be passed on to the dumpster, the fact that it's so painfully obvious it's not the same performer under the mask makes it feel like its entered Doink territory at this point. No reason to even bother, I would just ride it out long enough until they've sold out of whatever Sin Cara merch was already manufactured and then be done with it. Note to WWE: there's a whole country full of lucha libre wrestlers, many of them with cool looks, just go try again with one of them. No need to saddle Hunico with a failed gimmick or make us suffer through any more matches with that stupid lighting.

Hunico speaks english doesn't he? the reason the sin cara gimmick sucks is that he can't have a feud because he doesn't speak english so can't sin cara have a feud now that hunico is running it

Seeing as WWE has technically done it 3 times already (mistico to hunico, back to mistico, back to hunico) I say yes... if they feel they have someone that could be a star in a hood I don't think they would not switch it again.... Its clear they always want to have a masked Mexican star and its a smart business move. you cant throw a mask on Kidd, Neville, Bourne or Gabriel.. wrong complexion...

on a side note, I've always wondered about Jushin Liger... He has 0 showing skin and has been around for damn near 35 years working high risk... this could be like the 4th Liger and we would never know.

Adrian Neville is doing perfectly fine. Becoming Sin Cara would A) be a step down for him and B) Everyone would know the guy isn't a Mexican luchadore. His skin is way too light. Could somebody else besides Hunico become Sin Cara? Maybe. Would it work, I don't know. One thing about going form Mistico to Hunico is that Mistico didn't have any distinctive marks like a tattoo. You could switch that out for somebody with a similar build. Now that Hunico has a tattoo, anybody not on these sites thinks that Sin Cara got a tattoo and that's it. If they go to somebody else, who doesn't have that tattoo, will people buy it? How would people respond?

Anyway, I think Hunico can actually succeed if given the proper treatment. But there's a list of 5 people that have gotten the proper treatment in the last few years. John Cena, Batista, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and Randy Orton. Minus the Shield, Wyatt Family, and Cesaro because of their young careers, nobody else has gotten the right platform to succeed and they've all been screwed because of it. Mistico could have succeeded if they sent him to developmental first to learn the WWE style and English. Instead they put him on TV with a bunch of people that couldn't work with a lucha guy, so it failed. If Hunico is now given proper treatment, he could possibly pull it off.

First of all, Adrien Neville was just a suggestion for the gimmick.
While he may not be Latino, and as thus, might mean the Sin Cara character couldn't be marketed for the Mexican Market...if for instance, he was given the gimmick to use on the Main Roster, and with good booking, become popular...wouldn't Kids in the US and Canada like him as they have Rey Mysterio for all these years??

Also, is the Sin Cara character popular merchandise-wise because he is marketed as a Mexican guy?
Or is it just that kids especially love Masked guys especially if they can do some cool high flying spots??

Just a few questions.

As for the tattoo on Hunico;
I think it was common knowledge to most people that the guy who was portraying it had changed, and not only due to the tattoo.

That said; in this age of Social Media, I am sure something like Sin Cara Character being passed down couldn't be kept secret as to who is portraying it, as we have seen with the change from Mistico to Hunico.

My idea was that FOR EXAMPLE; a high-flyer type like Adrien Neville would portray it for a certain time, and providing he stays relevant through booking and such, he does it for an extended period, until his body starts to give way somehow(like Mysterio now), then he can pass it on to someone who will come up from Developmental, and will be a fresh face that not much is known about and thus, the Sin Cara Character name can be used for a long period but with different guys portraying it as done with the Tiger Mask gimmick(as someone mentioned), etc.

If Sin Cara merchandise sells well, it could be worth a thought to do something such as passing on the Sin Cara Character to keep it long term as a WWE Special "SuperHero" character in this PG Environment.

See the tattoo is a big deal here. Look at Undertaker: started out with none but now has a ton of ink but it is obviously the same guy. With Sin Cara, it wasn't a big deal when they switched guys and suddenly there was a tattoo as other than that he physically matches good enough(build, height, etc). You can just say that he got a tattoo but it is the same person. But if you put someone else in that character and they either have no tattoos or have different ones, then you have an issue. You could do like others said and say this is Sin Cara 2 or whatever but this is wwe we are talking about - they drop jr off if people's names so I can't see them doing Sin Cara 2 or anything like that. Plus they need to get the while ownership issue figured out too. My guess is that the character is gone by the end of the year and maybe they create a new one to replace it since they have someone now to fill the role and they can learn from the Sin Cara screwup.

I like the Luchador style. Its something different. The kids dig the masks and whatever makes kids happy cant be bad. Just because some of older guys cant get behind it doesn't make it bad.

Cole still says that Sin Cara "has his own comic book in Mexico!", when it was the original guy, Mistico, who actually was the guy who was the big star in Mexico. I just don't like the idea of having different guys playing the same character. TNA took it to the absurd extreme with Suicide, they had like 5 guys playing him at various times.

Just leave Hunico in the gimmick and then just pull the plug when merchandise sales drop to a point that they don't need him around.

The answer is simply no! It would be hard to, since Mistico owns the gimmick. He was only still a character for Scooby Doo Wrestlemania. If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't even been on tv since then.

Of course the Sin Cara gimmick could be passed on, and if they gave it to the right person it could be quite a success. What they need to do is choose someone to take over the gimmick and stay with that person, because switching it up at all is just a bad idea. They need to stop changing whose behind the mask and stick with one person.

In my opinion they should go with Evan Bourne. If, based on reports, he's been able to return for some time now and the WWE just doesn't have anything for him creatively, then why in the world not give him a gimmick like Sin Cara? If they're looking to just release him because of weaknesses he has such as no mic skills, size, etc... then I think they should rethink that and put him under the mask. As Sin Cara he doesn't need the size, nor does he need to have great mic skills. Not to mention Evan Bourne's style is a high-flying, flashy one that would be great for Sin Cara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back