Cody Rhodes -- Legend Killer?

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Randy Orton broke into the business with one of the best gimmicks in wrestling history: the Legend Killer. I'm not saying his execution was always perfect, but on paper I don't think any rookie has been given as good a chance at success.

Without getting too wrapped up in Orton's early accomplishments, I want to pose the question: what could Cody Rhodes do with a Legend Killer-esk gimmick? He's still near enough to the start of his career that the parallels between him and Orton are still very much present. I'm not saying that they should cut-and-paste anyone's rise to the top, because it would be incredibly transparent. But what if they pulled the trigger on Legacy too early? What if Orton and Rhodes just weren't ready?

Hypothetical discussion time! Stick with me here... I'd be curious to see what would happen if they built up Cody Rhodes as a "legend killer" who went after guys that are partially relevant to today's product, rather than the ones Orton "killed" half a decade ago. Mick Foley is still a viable option, but what about Ricky Steamboat, who has proven he can still wrestle better than half the current roster? I'm envisioning a world where it all leads up to Orton snapping, and going on the hunt to prove to himself that he still "has it".

It would all work perfectly with his current Viper gimmick, and could end up with both men being heel, taking out various legends trying to one-up each other. In theory Orton becomes the new Triple H. It would eventually lead to the same set-up as Evolution, where Rhodes wins the World title and feuds with Orton, turning Rhodes face and setting him on his way as a future legend in his own right. Again this is all hypothetical, and I just want to have a little fun discussion a future in which Cody Rhodes becomes the next "Legend Killer" on his way to greatness.

Whose "legend" should Rhodes "kill"?
Do you think starting another stable with Orton could work?
What would be the big moment to turn Rhodes face and make him a top star?

Before I start off, let me say this is a fine idea. But, Rhodes seems to have found his own character and he's made it work without any question. Why would you jeopardize that by giving him a completely different gimmick? With that said, I would not mind seeing Cody Rhodes adopt the gimmick in some way. Not full on like Orton did but more of a long drawn out storyline. There's no reason to really fix what isn't broken. Cody Rhodes is best where he's at.

-Whose "legend" should Rhodes "kill"?

Well, obviously his father. This is something we never quite got into with Randy Orton, a nice feud with his crowd pleasing father would likely cause massive heat toward Mr. Rhodes. Orton didn't have the opportunity because his Dad was a worthless piece of shit wrestler no one gave two shits about; Cody has the advantage. In fact, I find it absolutely necessary that this gimmick would only work through Dusty Rhodes. Another likely candidate would be Goldust. You don't have to point out the obvious (they're half brothers) but give him a win over a credible veteran who's still solidly over with the crowd. Last, The Undertaker. It worked for Orton, it'll work for Rhodes. Before Undertaker goes out, Rhodes needs a quick rub. A couple of gimmick matches with The Undertaker will do just that; launch Cody into superstardom.

-Do you think starting another stable with Orton could work?

Yeah, no. No. Please no. You honestly think Orton will let Cody Rhodes shine? A heel Orton at that. Orton is better at being a face. The crowd just adores him too much. Cody, would likely be taking a back seat to Orton and that would do nothing but stop Rhodes' momentum. Cody needs to be on the front burner and ready to serve. He's juicy. He's fresh. He needs all he can get and if you want to slap the Legend Killer gimmick on him, wouldn't Orton be a better foe than friend? Just sayin.

Top stars need to be faces? Rhodes' value is a heel. He's got dashingly good looks, a grotesque in-ring technique, and a menacing character; why wouldn't I be jealous of that? Rhodes is too pretty not to be heel. He makes me jealous. Rhodes makes me question myself. He's perfect. I'm not. I need a paper bag dammit. That's why he should remain heel.

Whose "legend" should Rhodes "kill?"

Mick Foley. Pretty simple really. Mick's willing to put guys over, the comparison's are obvious with both men wearing masks to hide their psychological and physical appearance and being mentally disturbed at one point or another. Rhodes is also in a similar position to Orton back in 2004. He's the young, up-and-coming IC champion determined to prove himself as the greatest in his family. Foley put Orton over then so I have no doubt he'd do it now.

Oh hell no. Legacy was a dreadful, dreadful stable. They just didn't work in the long run. They were boring to the point of tears and Rhodes and DiBiase looked like complete bitches. Orton as a heel in 2009 was dull as hell. Orton as a face in 2011 is an entertaining as hell guy to watch. Bogging him down in a stable as a heel does him no favours let alone the rising star of Rhodes. He needs to rise on his own.

He's going to be a top star regardless. When was Triple H's star at it's brightest? When he was a heel. When was Ric Flair's at it's brightest? When he was a heel. Top stars can be bad guys. Every great hero needs a villain to overcome, and Rhodes can most certainly be that villain. That being said, he does have a great look to get himself over as a babyface. I don't think he needs it now (or any time in the near future for that matter), but it's certainly possible.

Before I start off, let me say this is a fine idea. But, Rhodes seems to have found his own character and he's made it work without any question. Why would you jeopardize that by giving him a completely different gimmick? With that said, I would not mind seeing Cody Rhodes adopt the gimmick in some way. Not full on like Orton did but more of a long drawn out storyline. There's no reason to really fix what isn't broken. Cody Rhodes is best where he's at.

-Whose "legend" should Rhodes "kill"?

Well, obviously his father. This is something we never quite got into with Randy Orton, a nice feud with his crowd pleasing father would likely cause massive heat toward Mr. Rhodes. Orton didn't have the opportunity because his Dad was a worthless piece of shit wrestler no one gave two shits about; Cody has the advantage. In fact, I find it absolutely necessary that this gimmick would only work through Dusty Rhodes. Another likely candidate would be Goldust. You don't have to point out the obvious (they're half brothers) but give him a win over a credible veteran who's still solidly over with the crowd. Last, The Undertaker. It worked for Orton, it'll work for Rhodes. Before Undertaker goes out, Rhodes needs a quick rub. A couple of gimmick matches with The Undertaker will do just that; launch Cody into superstardom.
Agreed, to all of that.

You honestly think Orton will let Cody Rhodes shine? A heel Orton at that. Orton is better at being a face. The crowd just adores him too much.
Orton is better at being a face? Really? I guess if you feel that way it's cool, I just completely disagree. Better in the fact that he's finally drawing a huge face reaction, yes. But his quality of work is way better as a heel! He's not nearly as interesting as a face... Everything Orton has ever done I've enjoyed while he was a heel! Start of the Legend Killer, Evolution, feud with Triple H, etc. In fact, when he broke out of Evolution as a face I thought it was incredibly boring...

Top stars need to be faces?
No, not at all! I'm just saying Rhodes could be a top face some day, and I think building him against a heel Orton, especially if we're sticking to the Orton outline of making him into a star, it would just make sense eventually to turn him.

Mike "The Kid" Killam;3557306 said:
Orton is better at being a face? Really? I guess if you feel that way it's cool, I just completely disagree. Better in the fact that he's finally drawing a huge face reaction, yes. But his quality of work is way better as a heel! He's not nearly as interesting as a face... Everything Orton has ever done I've enjoyed while he was a heel! Start of the Legend Killer, Evolution, feud with Triple H, etc. In fact, when he broke out of Evolution as a face I thought it was incredibly boring...

Sorry, I should have said more of a value to the WWE as a face. When the fans slowly turn a massive heel into a babyface, you've struck gold. The fans did the WWE's work for them by turning Orton face months before the WWE even wanted to. The WWE couldn't afford a heel getting babyface reactions. For that reason Orton should remian face. The reactions he gets from the crowd is something you cannot ignore; the fans adore him too much. Mesh that with Cody Rhodes in a stable and you have a heel Randy Orton hogging the spotlight from a very deserving Cody Rhodes. Not to mention, wouldn't you rather see Orton on the foe side? Wouldn't you rather see Rhodes taking out Bob Orton to prove a point to Randy? To me, if you want this whole Legend Killer thing to work for Cody, Orton should remain face. Right?

Sorry, I should have said more of a value to the WWE as a face. When the fans slowly turn a massive heel into a babyface, you've struck gold. The fans did the WWE's work for them by turning Orton face months before the WWE even wanted to. The WWE couldn't afford a heel getting babyface reactions. For that reason Orton should remian face. The reactions he gets from the crowd is something you cannot ignore; the fans adore him too much. Mesh that with Cody Rhodes in a stable and you have a heel Randy Orton hogging the spotlight from a very deserving Cody Rhodes. Not to mention, wouldn't you rather see Orton on the foe side? Wouldn't you rather see Rhodes taking out Bob Orton to prove a point to Randy? To me, if you want this whole Legend Killer thing to work for Cody, Orton should remain face. Right?

I totally agree that the crowd loves Orton as a face. They did start turning him before WWE was ready, and I did really like that period of time in Orton's character. So I guess I shouldn't have said I only thought he was interesting as a heel...

That being said, I think the crowd is insanely hot for Rhodes right now. Or at the very least, he's on the brink of building massive support. Getting cheers at MSG when he was on a heel team is pretty good proof that. Turn Orton heel slowly, and start putting Rhodes over him and I think the crowd will choose Rhodes. They are usually very willing to give a newer guy with loads of potential the rub over an established star that a lot of people are getting bored with. And by "they" I of course mean the fans, not WWE management..

I feel like if the crowd loves both of them, and not just Orton they'll be likely to go along with whatever the WWE tries to do with them. IF it's done well! The slow Orton heel turn and the simultaneous Rhodes face turn, after coupling them both as heels for a time could be really great. And I don't think Orton would necessarily "hog" all the spotlight. He went over Rhodes in their recent feud, but both men came out looking good so I wasn't terribly upset. If anything it just made Rhodes more upset...

All very valid points here, i think on the majority of it i would struggle to contribute more.

On the legends he could go over. Well Booker T would be a starter, they are testing it in house shows and i think the crowd will love it... where from there?

if you keep a feud with Randy maybe go Goldust(cause he is trying to cool his bad side), then randys dad, then randy goes for Dusty. Maybe have cody just take it out on anyone he can, in the ring and out of it, beating on guest hosts and former stars like foley week after week, small breaks from it so it isn't TOO much? this would then open the possibility of a big run of building cody where he doesn't go for Randy straight away cause he is "fuelling his rage" for a wrestlemania showdown with him?(not this WM obviously lol)

but thats just me and i love a good slow build when done right.

with the undertaker involvement maybe around the time of SS have him and cody feud cause cody cant beat him, but by elimination chamber he does, to a HUGE pop from beating everyone in there with Taker too... guess who won the rumble... orton... lets end this ;)

not brilliantly worded, so if i am unclear on anything then pelase ask :)

just an opinion, you may disagree but its all good :p

I agree with you he should definitely be a face at the moment I mean he is one of the top one's in the business but let's be honest for a second, his promo's as a face have been absolutely horrid. Just so incredibly boring and lackluster to the point that he doesn't even get that much mic time now he just does his thing in the ring which is where he shines. If his promos stay this dull he might start to loose some fans but as long as he is putting on amazing matches and still being entertaining in the ring while being booked as the crazy viper he should remain strong.

Whose "legend" should Rhodes "kill"?

LOL, which legend should Rhodes kill? None... Why? Because it's a recycled gimmick that Orton was using until early 2007, gimmicks cannot be used that close together. It was close to 10 years in between the Brock/Show ring collapse and the Henry/Show ring collapse and some thought that it was too soon to do it again. There's other ways of Rhodes being an individual. I really hate it when wrestler's on the rise beat up old wrestlers, and I also feel sorry for the older wrestlers, because often they'd still whip the young wrestlers ass. Orton was different, that was his gimmick, it's how they got him over. So Randy is the exception to the rule.

No, no, no........ Why on earth would Randy now need it? He wouldn't... Randy wasn't 100% over, nor was he a permanent # 1,2 in the company at that point so legacy worked. Randy as a face now definately does not need a stable. If your going to do a stable, then Dolph Ziggler is your man, just like Shawn Michaels before him. DX style.

I don't understand why you would turn Rhodes face at this point in time. I highly doubt that he could be over as a face. Personally, I think it would need to be something quite drastic to get Cody over as face.

Something like Goldust snapping and putting a beat down on his father and Cody coming out to save the day. The fans might react to that. But turning Cody a good guy will be hard I believe. I think he'd need to follow the Orton route and be a long time bad guy who earns the respect of the crowd as the villian so that they want to cheer him.

Why does Rhodes have to be the next Randy Orton? Why can't he just be the first Cody Rhodes? He does not have to kill any legends. I would just have him win more matches, retain the Intercontinental Championship a few more times, and move up the card to compete for the world title. Starting another stable with Orton would be detrimental for both Randy and Cody because they are on completely different career paths right now. Orton is one of the top faces while Rhodes is being prepared for a main event heel spot.

Finally, I cannot think of a moment that could be used to turn him face anytime soon. He can be a top star as a heel and it would suit him better. He was a face when he was tag teaming with Hardcore Holly. It came off akward and he did not seem like he belonged, until he turned heel with Ted Dibiase. Rhodes should remain a heel for now and they do not need to repeat history by making him a legend killer or forming another team with Orton due to the fact that he needs to be himself and they should look ahead rather than recreate the past. It's gotten him this far and it will take him further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back