CM Punk: It's Up To Him Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where exactly did I say there was a problem with THIS angle?
I didn't, I was referring to the overall vibe of the product the during the PG Era.
There's nothing goofy or lame about THIS storyline with Punk and Cena, and that's why people are talking about it again.

But if you had been watching the Raw for the past 3 or 4 years, you've seen prolonged hijinks with midgets ( which I didn't like even during the Attitude Era), a parade of confusing guest hosts, and and and assortment of safe, cookie cutter types trying to get over.
Not the most encouraging stuff in the world if you expect to watch something more interesting.

Once again, if you read my original post, I'm not demanding the show be turned into a wacky, blood-soaked, profanity laced product to keep people over 14 amused.
I do think it's fair to say that the allowance of (for example)some blood, at the right time, in a right match could enhance plot as long as there's not overkill.
I don't think this is hard to understand, so why are you so defensive about it?

It's a credit to the WWE Creative and Punk that this angle took off this well.
They took the right trajectory to start because breaking the fourth wall is inherently "edgy" if the right person is at the helm--and they choose correctly with letting it be Punk.
Hopefully they keep it up and don't dilute his character too much.
They should just let him be himself and let the crowd decide the tone of the angle.

Exactly, I mean DX ran a TANK over Hornswagle. I repeat D-Generation X ran a ten ton military vehicle over a 2 foot tall midget dressed up as the Lucky Charms guy. What else has there been? Oh, Santino has been running around with everything from hot girls to Russians while doing the...scorpion?

This is a new Era if you couldnt tell by Keith Stone and CM Punk. I like this, and for some weird reason want booze.

I do think this angle has a very limited shelf life because it has very limited appeal. The WWE has spent the last 3 years trying to wrangle in FAMILIES.. And while "ratings aren't good 'cuz of PG," their merchandise and house shows have been making more money than ever. Every week, you will see a lot of families in John Cena t-shirts.. And as someone who has brought t-shirts from WWE.com, those suckers ain't cheap.

So, why would an 8-year-old who only watches the WWE care about any of the Punk angle? He doesn't know what an ROH is and his dad probably thought "Is that a beer?" when Colt Cabana's name was dropped. And you can hear the audience losing interest rapidly in some segments.

I just think it is another argument for the IWC being so closed minded. Just like when the Rock came back, his buzz and crowd reactions disappeared very quickly. He just didn't connect with the crowd at all, despite all the build and trash talking.

All of CM Punk's merchandise on WWEshop is either SOLD OUT or Out Of Stock. I think it's getting over and if stuff keeps selling I think it will have longevity.

I do think this angle has a very limited shelf life because it has very limited appeal. The WWE has spent the last 3 years trying to wrangle in FAMILIES.. And while "ratings aren't good 'cuz of PG," their merchandise and house shows have been making more money than ever. Every week, you will see a lot of families in John Cena t-shirts.. And as someone who has brought t-shirts from WWE.com, those suckers ain't cheap.

So, why would an 8-year-old who only watches the WWE care about any of the Punk angle? He doesn't know what an ROH is and his dad probably thought "Is that a beer?" when Colt Cabana's name was dropped. And you can hear the audience losing interest rapidly in some segments.

I just think it is another argument for the IWC being so closed minded. Just like when the Rock came back, his buzz and crowd reactions disappeared very quickly. He just didn't connect with the crowd at all, despite all the build and trash talking.

The fanboy inside of me wants some invasion angle with ROH to come out of this or an ROH faction to be created. It's not totally impossible with the rumors going around with a couple people being signed and the "agreement" between Vince and ROH that's been talked about. But it doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing what happens.

In terms of Punk, he's been given his brightest opportunity to shine and honestly I don't think he will let anyone down. I'm not an ass kiss or anything, but he's as good as him or anyone has said he is and I hope he stays at the top for a looooong time. He may not have a connection with anyone below the age of 10 but all of his crowd reactions definitely tell you that he's worth something to the WWE, because everyone has started to recognize how good he is and any storyline or match he's in he does his best to make it good.

He's now a solidified main eventer after his epic MITB match and win. His new theme music and all his hype surrounding him definitely help him too. This is his chance to prove himself of all his worth, and honestly I think he'll show it with no sweat.

I'm talking about MONDAY, last night. Cena couldnt get over without the machine, Punk got over without the machine backing him. Vince's EXACT words when Punk first started getting over "How the fuck is this guy getting over". Vince has been completely stumped on Punks popularity from Day 1.

Punk is not a Vince guy, he was brought in "As Is" from RoH, same name, same style, same personality, same moves, and if not for Shawn Michaels speaking up in a creative meeting Punk would be doing the same thing he is now, only in RoH.

Fact is Vince doesnt know what to do with what he doesn't create. Punk was compared to Ric Flair when he was brought in by most people in the business not working for the WWE, Flair didn't even start in the business until he was 31, Punk is ahead of the curb. Cena held up his belt monday and got a nice pop, Punk held up his and the place went ballistic. Punk's win at MitB the roof blew off when he won.

Is it a shock that John Cena had the best Match of his career against Punk? You want to hype the WWE Machine go ahead, but give the individual that has been made the center of what is becoming a new era in WWE Programming his due, dont crap on him because he isnt what YOU want him to be. Punk's character has been evolving for five years, Triple H and Kevin Nash went through longer than that evolving their persana's, Hulk Hogan was around 5 years and that took Classy Freddy Blassy leading him around by a lead chain the first few years to get it done. Let us not forget how long it took Steve Austin, Stunning Steve, ECW Steve, The Ringmanster?.

PUNK is over, Punk is the hottest thing in the business today, Punk is the one getting ESPN to notice the WWE again for something other than dead wrestlers (Jim Rome and Collin Cowheard), Punk is doing Jimmy Kimmell, Punk is throwing out the first pitch at MLB Games, Punk got people like me who were sick of Cena running the table to tune in again, Punk is the one who had T-Shirts selling on EBay for $500 a pop, Punk is the first WWE Wrestler, champion even, to be allowed to show his face at an indy show in over a decade, Punk is getting the loudest cheers in the business, and Punk is the one who has Triple H and Vince pushing his program to the moon because he is making MONEY.

Now I know you probably cant stand to read that but it is what is happening right now. If you don't like it march up there to Titan Towers and tell Trips and Vince to stop pushing Punk because he cant get the job done. Right now Punk is getting the job done. We are seeing the evolution of a wrestler, something that hasn't been done to this exteme since John Cena himself, and before that Triple H, I suggest you enjoy it for how special it is, not bitch about it.

Dont let blind devotion to the WWE Machine's ability to create deny you what is coming together right now, the beginning of a new Era led by John Cena and yes CM PUNK, a guy not created by Vince. Sit back, and enjoy.
The roof did not blow off, don't be stupid. Punk is over with one segment of the audience, and this is a very interesting story.

As for "CM Punk isn't who I want him to be"....I have traveled 13 hours round trip to see a ROH show. Get up at 9, leave at 10, get to Chicago at 4:30, eat, get to the show, stay late at the show, leave around midnight, get back home at 6:30/7am. I did that because I loved the CM Punk/Bryan Danielson guys.

The main thing is I'm smart enough to seperate fanhood from reality. I'd love for CM Punk vs Bryan Danielson to main event mania. It won't, and it shouldn't. It'd be bad business. Learn to stop thinking selfishly and think critically and ask why things are happening.

I keep hearing Punk is a draw. Where are the ratings to prove it?

CM Punk is doing well but overall Raw still sucks ass. Moreover you guys are impatient as hell it took Austin's popularity over a year to show up in ratings and buyrates and Punks been the central focus for all of 6 weeks and you shocked at the same ratings week after week.

A lot of people arent going to start watching again until Raw can consistently give of 2 hrs of programming to watch.

Also people give Austin Slightly to much credit as he had a lot of other storylines backing up the Austin/Mcmahon story including: Undertaker v Kane, Dx vs NOD, Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack characters and many more. This Punk/Cena thing is just the beginning but this should have been held off til Survivor Series and Cena/Del Rio should have MM Summerslam with Punk coming through the crowd and costing Cena.

Finally, the true test will be WM 28. 2 things need to happen: Cena v. Rock needs to be epic, HHH needs to turn heel and face Punk at WM 28 and usher in a new era. In other words this needs to be WM 14 all over again. After that if ratings and buyrates dont increase by May/June 2012 then Punk might be considered a bust but until then just be patient.:)

The roof did not blow off, don't be stupid. Punk is over with one segment of the audience, and this is a very interesting story.

As for "CM Punk isn't who I want him to be"....I have traveled 13 hours round trip to see a ROH show. Get up at 9, leave at 10, get to Chicago at 4:30, eat, get to the show, stay late at the show, leave around midnight, get back home at 6:30/7am. I did that because I loved the CM Punk/Bryan Danielson guys.

The main thing is I'm smart enough to seperate fanhood from reality. I'd love for CM Punk vs Bryan Danielson to main event mania. It won't, and it shouldn't. It'd be bad business. Learn to stop thinking selfishly and think critically and ask why things are happening.

Dude you know what your problem is? Your problem is that you have an opinion and you try to hammer it into everyone that it is fact, not opinion. You think you are too smart, not "smart enough". How can you predict that CM Punk will never be able to successfully main event Wrestlemania? You accuse Cena haters of being blind to reality and yet, as far as I have seen you on these forums, your pro-Cena bias has come in the way of you accepting anyone else's popularity, let alone considering that he CAN be a big draw some day. Wasn't Austin a big draw? Wasn't The Rock's fan base wider than Austin's and yet both were on equal footing of popularity when both were faces?
You have done nothing but kept on harping on this thread that Punk will never outdraw Cena, Punk will never be the face of the company, etc etc. How can you predict that? Would anyone in 1995 cartoon friendly WWE have believed that the WCW reject Steve Austin would be such a huge draw one day?

I am not saying Punk WILL be a big draw - he may be, he may not be. Only time will tell. It is stupid to think that the WWE audience will remain the same over the next 5 years or so. It may change, like it always has kept changing. Who knows? Why can't you just let the poor guy be and let him take the ball and run, and see if he can prove himself or not?

And basically, it's you who is bringing in Cena here. This thread was never about Cena - it was about whether Punk can help WWE come out of a lean phase (and yes, despite Cena's popularity and his drawing power, WWE has been doing not so well in recent times). But Cena was never the topic here. You are bringing him in unnecessarily.

About Monday night's pop - you and I were probably watching different shows. What I saw was Cena got a huge reaction when he won the title. Punk got a good reaction when he entered. Then when he stood in Cena's face and Cena raised his belt, cena got a 60-40 reaction. When Punk raised his belt he got a 80-20 or even 90-10 reaction. Punk clearly got cheered loudly and Cena got a mixed response.

You are watching a different show if you think the 10-20% of crowd makes as much noise as the rest 80-90%. That's just your way of denying a very apparent fact that half or close to half the crowd boos Cena on every RAW these days. You just wanna deny it so you wanna find some silly logic to back that up. So 80-90% of the crowd (which includes males too btw) makes only as much noise than the other 10-20%, each time? Ridiculous.

Rather, here's what I think happens - when Cena shows up, his fans (some 60% of the audience) cheers loudly. The other 40% boos loudly. When Punk shows up, this 40% cheers loudly but hardly a fraction of the other 60% boos. This is why it APPEARS as though Punk's reaction is more favourable than Cena's.
In fact this happens with nearly every other face, a percentage of the crowd cheers him and the rest just keep quiet.
Of course this is my OPINION and I am not about to push it down anyone's throat as a fact.

But please stop pretending that you are unbiased and even quicker, stop pretending that you are some kind of awesome expert on pro-wrestling. Join WWE's creative team if you think you are so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back