CM Punk at Wrestlemania

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by Pay Per Ghost, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost squashed Disco Inferno to become

Sneaky feeling, completely left field but one of the best disenchanted pro wrestler in CM Punk could propel pro wrestling int another boom.

WWE, NJPW, ROH and a very rich roster of superstars might need that one last shot in the arm that could bring pro wrestling to the mainstream again.

Discuss.

Imagine.

Discus.

2. CyberPunk

CyberPunk The Show himself

I don't get it. Are you suggesting CM Punk is going to come back to pro wrestling? Is there something I don't know about his appearance at Mania? Is it just a wishful thinking on your part?

3. swallop

swallop Occasional Pre-Show

If cm punk returns to wrestling i personally would like to see him wrestler in New japan pro wrestling. Imagine After kenny omega defeats chris jericho at wrestle kingdom 12, The lights go out and we hear "LOOK IN MY EYES WHAT DO YOU SEE? THE CULT OF PERSONALITY." Not sure about the copy rights to the song but if punk actually showed up in NJPW wwe would s*** there pants.

It would create some real competition in pro wrestling. And with daniel bryan leaving for the indies next year the game of pro wrestling will have drastically changed, I personally cant wait im so sick of watching wwe.

4. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

If CM Punk ever decides to wrestle again, I think he'll more than likely go to ROH or New Japan. Although, when you think about it, if Punk went with one of those, he'd wind up wrestling at some shows for the other one anyhow. However, ROH is still King of the Indies and when you get right down to it, it's not really progressed a whole helluva lot from where it was 10 years ago. If Punk wants to be a bigger star, then New Japan would be the better place for him as there's been all kinds of buzz over the course of this year especially.

It's possible Punk could return to WWE, but I don't see that happening unless it's attached to a paycheck so absurd that even Punk would have to acknowledge that it's more than he's worth. Brock Lesnar gets about $12 million a year, far more than he's worth when you get right down to it, and I've little doubt Punk would want something similar, though higher, and with a similar work schedule. Punk hates Vince, he hates Triple H and the feeling is vice versa so you'd have three men with very huge egos that'd have to be willing to put them aside, something I just don't see happening.

Allegedly, New Japan is a lot less strict and allows the wrestlers a great deal of creative freedom. I've also read that New Japan pays for air travel, hotel expenses and food is provided by sponsors. On top of all that, their schedule is less than half of what WWE works, they average around 120 or so shows a year, and given that Japan is slightly smaller than the state of California, the wrestlers all travel by bus to the shows so that saves even more money. As far as the matches themselves, a lot of the matches on the cards, usually at least half if not more, are tag, six man or eight man tags, which helps the wrestlers with the wear & tear even more. Given the numbers of shows they tend to run, the wrestlers also get significant time off to rest up in between, sometimes as much as a few weeks. Given Punk's age and the various injuries he's dealt with over the years, I'd think New Japan would sound more attractive to him; he may not make as much money as he would in WWE, but he'd still make good money while working a heavily reduced schedule and have a good deal of creative freedom.

5. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

There's no way he's returning for Mania. Certainly not the upcoming edition anyway. The hurt and damage between the two parties is very, very vast and would take a massive change in the personality of Vince and CM Punk. But we all know how stubborn both of those people are and that's the real sticking point. It's said that Vince will forgive anyone if it is right for business. But after everything Punk took them through, I'd imagine he is definitely on the blacklist. He would definitely command a huge paycheck to return and probably the perk of main eventing the event. There's just now way, right now, that Vince is gonna give him that.

6. BigDaddyKewl

BigDaddyKewl Getting Noticed By Management

As others have mentioned it's highly unlikely that we'll see Punk wrestling in a WWE ring again. I'm not going to get into all the heat between WWE and Punk. The WWE might feel Punk is not worth the investment with bringing back for a Mania spot with all the other part timers likely to return like Lesnar, Triple H, Angle and Undertaker. i think Punk is happy to hang up his boots while he still has his health and is financially secure which is something that not a lot of wrestlers are able to do.

7. sikkbones

sikkbones the root of all evil

Living colour (a band) wrote and owns the song. Royalties were paid when it was used.

That wouldn't be an issue if they paid the fees.

8. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

He's a not so athletic 39 year old. He is a good hand that would draw for a short while. His greatest value is with WWE. That's where his story shockingly ended and would most shockingly pick back up.

I created a post a couple days ago where I took today's WWE and found a way to incorporate Punk back in to the fold. And again, that's where it could be huge but no one should expect a boom period from Punk's return. WWE's roster is full of Punks as it is with Owens, Zayn, and Styles. Punk is no longer unique. That's a credit to what he brought to the WWE but also a detriment as to what value he offers WWE in the long run today. Plus it hurts that his career outside of WWE hasn't really been all that successful.

I'd like to see it happen, it's been the right amount of time and the window is closing but the idea that it will lead to a boom period is absurd.

Jack-Hammer likes this.
  9. Aeon Mathix

Aeon Mathix Has Ascended

CM Punk will be back in WWE one day. It could be this WrestleMania, it could be 5 years from now, but either way he will be back. It will most likely be a Hall of Fame offer and a WrestleMania main event. Ironic considering the guy has bitched about part timers taking those spots while working limited schedules for years now, but he essentially did the same thing in UFC already by waltzing in with a huge pay day and spot on the main card. I don't care personally because I and everyone else wouldn't turn down 6 or 7 figures for very limited work.

I missed the guy when he left, but since then there have been numerous guys and girls who have stepped up to fill the void. We saw the rise of Daniel Bryan in his absence and the Shield becoming main eventers as singles competitors along with guys like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles making their debuts. As Punk said "the wheel is going to keep turning". No wrestler lasts forever and when that happens someone else just comes in and capitalizes.

10. shafe_41

shafe_41 DON'T HINDER JINDER

He's gone. He's done. Will he be back someday? Probably. But that ship has sailed for now and personally... I couldn't care less. It's been almost four years now.

If he decides to lace up the boots again anytime soon, it'll be somewhere else. You could get into an endless debate about Punk. Could he show up in ROH, New Japan, etc...? Sure. Less grueling work schedule. Probably more creative freedom. The list goes on. He'll tell you all day it was never about the money for him and honestly... I believe it. But he's also not a dummy. He can't not acknowledge the WWE is who got him the amount of money he's got right now that affords him to never have to work another day in his life. Time heels all wounds. Especially in the wrestling business. Look at Hogan. Look at Angle. Look at the countless other guys that have had a negative opinion about Vince McMahon over the years. They all come back eventually. Regardless of the reason, they come back. Punk's no different.

It would just really be great though if people would stop chanting his name during a random mid-card match at a July PPV.

Jack-Hammer likes this.
  11. HeenanGorilla

HeenanGorilla Championship Contender

Haha! I love how this guy felt the need to slam the door shut on this one, only to open it a crack immediately afterwards. I'd love to see him get angry on the phone; slams it down, then picks it up gently and in a Mrs. Doubtfire voice says "Hello?".

I think there are a ton of different ways to bring Punk back for a WrestleMania moment, and I would mark out for lots of them. But, as someone else said, to think this would create any kind of boom period is ridiculous. I LOVED the Hardys coming back at this past Mania. Fast forward 8 days to Raw and I had no interest in watching their match, if they had one. Big moments do not have to, and often shouldn't, lead to long storylines or returns. I say take the moment for what it's worth and then wait for the next one. Easy for me to say because I am an occasional viewer who, for the first time since 1990, is actually planning on watching Survivor Series. I am able to give a Raw or a PPV a try and bail if it bores me without any consequences. I understand how full-time fans don't have that luxury. I just think many of you would enjoy wrestling more if you enjoyed what you were watching, when you were watching it...instead of instinctively wondering what this is leading to. Wrestling is a big circle that never has an endpoint. WrestleMania is the Super Bowl, but it doesn't end the season. It picks up the next night. The titles are not reset or made vacant. On and on it goes. You will never be happy if you keep waiting for the big payoff every time. Again, just a suggestion as an experienced viewer.

12. Spencesc11

Spencesc11 Getting Noticed By Management

Imagine this Mania Match.....

Shane, HHH, & Angle vs. Zayn, Owens, & Mystery Partner....

Everyone is in the ring and Punk's music hits!!! The Crowd would lose their mind.

13. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I agree when you get right down to it. While it's sometimes fun to talk about or speculate, I'm pretty much over anything to do with CM Punk and have been for quite a long time now. Sure, it'd be cool if he did but the wrestling world is doing just fine without him.

As far as the "CM Punk" chants, some fans do that when they're not all that into a match or a segment, but it's something that's really died down over the years. Every once in a while, you'll hear a small chant start out in the crowd that'll last for a handful of seconds but stops after it doesn't gain momentum. Sometimes, the chants are some idiotic attempt at seeming edgy or being rebels; the last really big Punk chant I can recall came about not long after Punk lost his MMA fight and while I don't remember exactly what Stephanie said, it was something along the lines of "...is not here because he quit. I've only been out here for a couple of minutes though, granted, that's longer than his fight lasted" and the crowd then popped in a "oh no she didn't" type of moment. Yeah, even the same people who were chanting Punk's name just suddenly turned and popped for Stephanie. Since then, all they have to do is ignore the chants or if they're told to acknowledge them, Stephanie's response, or one similar, is really all there needs to be said to shut it down.

ShinChan likes this.
  14. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

New Japan lost AJ Styles, Gallows and Anderson last year. Sure, this loss led to Kenny Omega being pushed and delivering 6-star matches and bringing the spotlight to NJPW.
    However, Kenny and Okada are the only two draws NJPW has right now that can sell stuff to the US and I'm stretching it. But if there's a chance any promotion leads a wrestling boom, that promotion is NJPW, not WWE. Forget WWE creating booms. It's not going to happen. Wrestling is mainstream. They're are doing fine. The Network sells, arenas sell. A boom comes after a period of
    a) dark times
    b) small to global scale expansion

There's no dark times for WWE anymore and they are literally all over the world. They are an empire. There are no booms coming from them.

However, NJPW has space for expansion. They're trying. CM Punk going to NJPW would give them an ultra boost. Anti-WWE guy, with huge following, joins NJPW.

Wanna see a boom? NJPW should try and achieve the following things.
    1) keep pushing Bullet Club worldwide
    2) turn Omega face and let him tear down arenas all over the world
    3) not lose their identity, meaning, keep Japanese wrestlers as your poster boys

two more things:
    4) bring back CM Punk
    5) give Daniel Bryan a match

and
    6) do not let WWE take any more great indy talent.

Punk alone can't lead a wrestling boom. But if you combine him with the right ingredients, then something could happen.

A card featuring Bryan, Punk, Okada, Omega, Bullet Club, who knows who else and a US celebrity, but a big time US celebrity.. taking place in the United States, presented by NJPW, in a staidum.. could bring big damage to the WWE.

But that's wishful thinking and it needs many players at the right place at the right time and great planning in order to work out.

But yeah, in 2017, wrestling is over-exposed. One guy like Hogan did in the 80s is not enough to lead a change, or a Stone Cold. And not be fooled, Hogan was just stepping over dead bodies Vince was leaving here and there with his conquer everything tactic. And in the AE, Vince just used the hype that WCW had created with the "Monday Night Wars!" against WCW. It was WCW the ones who started the war and the ones bragging about beating WWE. Had WCW just stayed quiet and had done its job, there would be no WWE around. But WCW needed WWE's name to hype itself up. So Vince used WCW's own platform to advertise itself and in the end, with some better creative booking, WCW failed due to its own weight. Ouch.

ShinChan likes this.
  15. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

I'd bet money that Punk will never be back, because Punk is a self centered, egotistical, narcissist. The guy needed those qualities to get to the heights he reached, but no one bought into his own hype more than Punk. THe guy was my favorite wrestler for a long time, don't get me wrong. I do miss him, but he is too egotistical to ever accept an apology from WWE for slights both perceived and real. The guy is estranged from his own brother over money he stole from a backyard fed when they were young. He briefly stopped talking to Colt Cabana when Colt was getting buddy buddy with some current WWE guys. He is that petty, and when you combine that with the previously stated character qualities, the heat between he and WWE, and the fact that he and his wife are both making a decent enough living without wrestling, I don't ever see him back.

He seems pretty over pro wrestling in general as well. He has claimed multiple times he doesn't follow any current product, outside of the occasional look into stuff his old buddies are doing, so I don't see him ending up anywhere else either.

Jack-Hammer and Wildcat66 like this.
  16. shafe_41

shafe_41 DON'T HINDER JINDER

I was simply eluding to the fact that's he's certainly not going to be back at Wrestlemania next year. Will he WRESTLE for the WWE again? On a 1-10 scale, I'd give it a 3. What else does he have to prove? Literally nothing. He couldn't even come back to put a talent over because he did nothing relevant while he was gone. You're not going to walk away from WWE and come back into WWE bigger than you left while doing nothing in between. Hogan left once... formed the biggest faction ever in wrestling history, then came back to get some younger guys over. Lesnar left, went to the NFL, became a legit fighting champion, and came back. He came back a much bigger draw. I'm sure there's others but those are two that came to mind. Punk left... was hilarious as a UFC "fighter," went to hockey games and dicked around on Twitter.
    Someone above said "he's a moderately athletic guy..." That's true. Punk coming back say... 10 years after he left, big deal. His biggest asset was his mouth. Punk is a guy that the longer he stays away, the less relevant he becomes. Would he get a massive pop if that music hit and he walked through that curtain? Sure would. It'd be a volume we haven't heard in quite awhile. But his star fades more every passing month. Now when you ask will we ever see him ON WWE TV again? I'd give that an 8. He will be on TV again in some fashion. Even if it's just a HoF speech, documentary, etc... But he's also a guy that probably couldn't care less about a HoF induction. Punk cares about Punk. Nothing else.

The ONLY way I see Punk back in a ring and on WWE TV sooner rather than later would be if his personal life crumbles. By that... I mean he AJ get divorced, there was no pre-nup signed, and Punk needs a few bucks. He'll tuck his tail between his legs, call up Vince or Triple H, apologize for his actions and things that were said (whether they were true, untrue, stretched truths, etc...) and sign a deal. That's it.

17. shooter_mcgavin

shooter_mcgavin Mid-Card Championship Winner

See this is what I don't get. Why single out Punk with having this personality. Yes he is a real d*** but he can deliver in the ring and proved he can be a top guy.

I see him being no different than Shawn Michaels (during the 90's), Bret Hart (being a mark for himself), Ultimate Warrior (we know his story), Brock Lesnar (when he left in 2004 and kind of trashed the WWE), Austin (apparently nixed a lot of ideas for him, upset people backstage, and also walked out) etc.

There's always been ego's backstage Punk just happens to be one of them.

18. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

I never said that Punk was the only guy in pro wrestling who had said attitude. I said that it is that attitude that leads me to believe he will never be back. Those guys you mentioned, aren't exactly the same as Punk. Shawn was a dick who reformed and then came back. Bret's fame dwindled after WCW shit the bed with him and he had basically no post WWE career. Warrior, well he and Punk are a lot closer so I will give you Warrior. Brock didn't need WWE, but once his UFC/MMA prospects dried up after multiple ass kickings, he needed a pay day and WWE offered him more than he would have gotten anywhere or in anything else. Austin was the only one of those guys who the WWE needed, so he had leverage.

That's the thing, and I say this as a huge Punk fan, he was never as big as he liked to think he was. Yeah, his pipebomb got people talking, but it wasn't a sustained thing. There is a reason that John Cena vs. John Lauranitis and John Cena vs. Big Show part 525 were main eventing PPVs over Punk. He just didn't bring in the fans long term. Punk got it in his head that he deserved this and he deserved that, and until WWE comes back and grovels at his feet and gives him all those things he things he deserved, he won't be back because his inflated sense of self worth. If he hasn't talked to his own flesh and blood in twenty odd years over a couple hundred dollars over a backyard fed, he isn't going to be back over what he perceives as a few million dollars in WWE.

19. Messiah

Messiah WWE Champion

CM Punk wouldn't do anything for pro wrestling. People need to quit overrating this guy and hop off his dick already. He's not that big of a name, just with loser wrestling fans on the internet who have nothing better to do than to talk about this guy.

20. Messiah

Messiah WWE Champion

Man, you're a idiot. Punk is not an egomaniac, he's just a little douchebag who has no respect for anyone, who brought down morale backstage, nobody likes him except wrestling fans who's entire lives revolve around wrestling.. You're the same people who defend Chris Benoit, because as long as they can wrestle, who cares about anything else, right?

21. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel that by the time Punk will come back to pro wrestling and he will someday, it won't be for WWE. Also i don't see him being that big of a deal when he comeback unless he's successful in MMA and become a big star.

The problem With somebody like Punk is that he's became a big star in WWE by chance. He cut a ''Shoot'' promo that cut the attention of the fans and they ran with it. Sadly the more they advance with it, the more fandom started to fade and his merchandise sell where fading as well.

So now that he'S not in the limelight of pro wrestling, how big of a star his he really? If he would say, screw this MMA bullshit, i'm going back to wrestling today, then i could see his comeback be a big deal for any promotion around the world, but the more he wait to comeback, the more his star power is fading and he's not as marketable anymore.

Would i like to see him back at mania one day, Sure, he deserve one last big match at mania maybe even a main event spot but with all the problems he has with WWE right now and the fact that he'S focus more on MMA then wrestling, i really doubt that this will happen.

22. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Another CM Punk thread? His fans just won't give up. Read the following and repeat out loud.

CM Punk is never coming back. He.... Is.... Never.... Coming.... Back!

Now that we have addressed what should be obvious, there is the matter of the other thing the opening post stated. How is Punk going to cause another wrestling boom? The Pipebomb promo didn't cause one and in January it will be 4 years since he left. Each day it becomes less and less and of a big deal if he were to come back. Sure, that initial fan reaction would rival the cheers from when The Hardy's came back at Wrestlemania last year. But then what? I give it one PPV cycle. By the next major event it would wear off. I could see him going to Smackdown and taking a disgruntled character like what Dolph had been doing, only better, and going somewhere with that. Maybe leading a stable with Owens and Sami. AJ Lee would fit in great in either Women's division if she comes back with him. It would be entertaining. Absolutely. Another wrestling boom though? Come on. That's just silly. Even if history repeats itself to where we have another fed become as big as WCW, Punk wouldn't cause the boom.

Let's say a miracle does occur and he does make a surprise return at the Rumble. I would want to see him finally get that Wrestlemania main event. They missed it at Wrestlemania 29 in two different opportunities at that show when he did not get to end Taker's streak and when he also did not get a triple threat with Cena & The Rock. That doesn't mean it's happening. Punk won't main event this year's Wrestlemania if Roman VS Brock is also on the card. He'd be in some secondary feud for the World Heavyweight Championship against Jinder or something, that is the best he could hope for. Maybe next year's Wrestlemania he could get the World Championship main event he wants, and AJ Lee could wrestle for one of the Women's Championships at the same event. I want to see it happen. That doesn't mean I think it will, because I don't.

23. Pika

Pika Pre-Show Stalwart

But... They said.. Imagine.. :(

I'm not sure how over CM Punk was during the height of his WWE popularity, but his reach is still absolutely insane years later. I'm a big fan of his work prior to going, but the stuff I've watched back from his time in WWE doesn't really excite me. I think if I watched it at the time or understood where WWE fans were coming from at that time I'd enjoy it more than likely. The abyss is huge between both parties upon Punk's exit and it's impossible to tell if anything else really went on or has happened since that hasn't been shared or leaked to the public. If he comes back to wrestling sooner than later I picture it being with Bullet club and specifically interacting with The Elite. Vice versa If he continues to just drift further and further from pro-wrestling over the years to come I think if anything he'll pop up in WWE. Just looking at the current state right now that is.

I just want him to be paid and be happy. As a fan of the character and wrestler if he did come back to wrestling I would want him to actually wrestle. Not go to sports entertainment land. As someone who likes him as a person and has enjoyed the small time around his camp. I don't even really care. We have plenty of good stuff going on right now and more wrestling than any one person can watch anyway. He would make news no matter what anyone says, but there is a 90%(+) chance if he came back anywhere in the best possible scenario it wouldn't shake the world as much as wrestling fans would want.

24. shooter_mcgavin

shooter_mcgavin Mid-Card Championship Winner

Let me say a few thngs
    1. Punk has a huge ego but come on how is this different from the guys in the Kliq. Shawn Michaels did the same (remember when we "lost his smile" or walked of the WWE around June 97?), Kevin Nash and his politics helped brought down morale in the WCW locker room. At least for Punk, before he walked out, was frustrated but didn't refuse to put over the guys he was asked to.

2. I don't know why you brought up Chris Benoit in this. If you think I am defending him because of him murdering his family then (f*** you). As for his talent and what he bring as a WWE Superstar. If you think I am an idiot for that then you must think Vince McMahon is an idiot too because he wanted to sign Benoit and made him win the World Title at WMXX.

3. No need to call me an idiot if you don't agree with me. If you are going to behave this way in the fourms then you need to leave. Grow up.

25. JoeMallard

JoeMallard Getting Noticed By Management

If you don't have an ego, you'll never make it. FACT!