Chicago Region, First Round: (24) High Fliers vs. (41) America's Most Wanted

Who Wins This Matchup?

• High Fliers

• America's Most Wanted

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Chicago Region. It's a standard tag team match held in the Rosemont Horizon.

4025414292_5c4bda57d1.jpg

highflyers_machalek.JPG

24. High Fliers

Vs.

America%27s_Most_Wanted.jpg

41. America's Most Wanted

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for THREE days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

I had to go back and watch some of AMW's matches to get a true sense of what they had, and came away with a new found respect for the tag team scene in TNA at that time. Triple X, Team Canada, and these guys had some damn entertaining matches. The size factor for AMW would be a huge advantage for them.

On the other side, you have one of my favorite underrated wrestlers in Jim Brunzell. The guy probably had the best looking dropkick of anyone. The only problem is you have one of my least favorite wrestlers of all time in Greg Gagne. He was servicable, but most of his matches were like watching paint dry. Having Dad as the owner of the AWA certainly helped his status, but I doubt he would've been anything more than a jobber elsewhere. Brunzell, on the other hand, went on to be part of another great tag team in the Killer Bees.

But in the end, this is would be AMW's match. I think their size and toughness (and quickness) would be too much for the Fliers.

Winners: America's Most Wanted

The High Fliers were dominant in the AWA... but then one of their members was the son of the owner and yet they still are hardly remembered. AMW were the number one team in NWA/TNA when the tag scene there was very highly regarded and actually managed to claim the PWI Best Tag Team Award back in 2004 despite the fact that their company was such a minnow to the WWe's whale at the time in terms of viewership. The Wildcat and Cowboy for me.

Good match here. I could really go either way on this one. I think the AWA was probably a better promotion than TNA when comparing the respective timeframes in which these teams competed. It's a weak argument but I'm going to leave it at that because the match is close enough where I don't care enough to support my vote with a lengthy discussion. I vote High Flyers but I'm not going to try to talk anyone out of voting AMW.

I was a big fan of AMW back in the earlier days of TNA when their tag-team division was very strong. I really thought they'd both end up in WWE, as they had a great look, an in-ring style that would have been very well suited to WWE and worked so well together as a team. (I know we got Harris eventually as the legendary Braden Walker, but I'm not factoring that into my argument).

AMW were an extremely solid team, I'd put them right up there with the MCMG and Beer Money as the 3 greatest teams in TNA history, all of whom deserve to do well in this tournament. Now, I haven't seen much of the High Fliers, but I know of Brunzell in the Killer Bees, who were a good team also. However, I don't rate him higher than either James Storm or Chris Harris in their primes- AMW were definitely a force to be reckoned with.

WE FIND THE DEFENDENTS.....GUILTY

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back