Championship Region, Fifth Round: (3) Triple H vs. (5) Andre the Giant

Who wins this match?

• Triple H

• Andre the Giant

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's sad, but it's true. Andre was mostly a side show. In his prime he wasn't defeated, but that's because he rarely fought the biggest names, and when he did, he drew. Triple H on the other hand, has been a main eventer for over a decade, something very difficult in the modern era. I think Triple H would go over here.

Think about it, Hunter has experience in a KOTR affair, and Hunter will do everything to go over Andre. And he will.

I can't believe you would belittle this tournament to the point that you would compare it to the joke that is KOTR.

In that case I remember seeing Andre in a tournament well past his prime where he faced a prime Hogan in front of a national audience and did not lose to Hogan.

Next year i want you to fully support King Mabel.

I can't believe you would belittle this tournament to the point that you would compare it to the joke that is KOTR.

In that case I remember seeing Andre in a tournament well past his prime where he faced a prime Hogan in front of a national audience and did not lose to Hogan.

Next year i want you to fully support King Mabel.

But the last 3 rounds are like KOTR...

AGAIN! Here we go! Now KOTR experience is shit. Hey why don't we eliminate any sort of real-life advantage. We've been fucking voting Santo over Rock and Sting because it was Mexico City, We've been voting Flair over Punk in a HIAC, because Punk was shit in a HIAC or cage...

Yes please MABEL next year!

Just because a Maber won a fucking KOTR, doesn't mean it holds no value. You know who else won the KOTR? Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Edge, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar...but hey, why don't we just call the tournament shit coz a MABEL won it once!

Hunter, possibly ref knocked out and he blasts Andre repeatedly with the hammer. Fuck his shit up and pedigree.

Andre DID lose his share of matches. In the territory days, he most certainly DID job to El
Canek, Antonio Inoki, and we all know of Andres' losses to Hulk Hogan at WMIII, and his multiple squash losses to the Ultimate nutjob,...er I mean Ultimate Warrior. I am also aware that , in his prime he drew with the likes of Nick Bockwinkel, Harley Race, and others. It's been said that Andre was a sideshow or an attraction. This is quuite true, he was very often booked as the great equalizing face to put an end tothe antics of a monster heel. I am of the opinion that he never went over Bockwinkel, or Race, or whatever Champion reigned at the particular time because he couldn't be plausibly booked to lose. This is not a title match. Andre's greatness as a draw STILL overshadows HHH"s title reigns, and his victorys over other mat stars are ledgendary. Shit, during his peak years , only Sammartino outsold him in the north east. Andre' won't win this whole thing, nor should he, but IMO, HHH is not the guy to end his run. Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: IHW
28-28....we have a real fight on our hands here gentlemen!

If Triple H had been around in the territory days, you can bet your ass he would have been as successful as the likes of Race, Rhodes and probably even Flair. With the physique he had in his prime, his style of wrestling and his ability on the mic, Triple H would have been a massive success in any era.

If Andre had been wrestling in Triple H's era he would have been booked like the Big Show. Several World Title reigns, but never the focus of the show for a long stretch of time. Giants like that rarely are. Look at Undertaker or Kane. They have been around the main event level for many years, but never really had the title for long periods of time. Undertaker never dominated the title scene, neither did Kane, neither did Big Show....and neither would Andre. Triple H did, and he would have done the same in the days of the territories.

Andre was a draw because of his size, he was different. Triple H is better in the ring, better on the mic, has the million dollar look, the intelligence, the dirty tricks and the backup to take this match. Whether a Pedigree on the outside to get the count out, a cheap shot, a distraction allowing Trips to nail a sledgehammer shot.....there are so many ways that Hunter would utilise to beat Andre....and the Cerebral Assasin would get the job done.

Vote Hunter

Reactions: IHW
So HHH is ahead of Andre the Giant?

Before I go off the deep end here and end up banned, I'm going to simply say that Andre the Giant may have been an attraction as much as anything, but the folks he did jobs for were folks that were going on to bigger things, like Hogan, Warrior (egg in Vince's face), and Inoki.

In Giant's prime, which many seem to forget about primes around here. I mean, we talk about Cena and HHH's prime all fucking day, but for us to talk about Flair and Andre's prime, NOOOOOOOO... it's doesn't matter because I wasn't born when they wrestled. Seriously, Andre either had draws or wins in his prime. This is against Hogan, Flair, Race, Inoki, Hansen, and many, many others in this time frame.

HHH's been great, but his record against bigger foes in matches with regular rules is suspect. Let's not forget Andre was larger than life and handled superstars bigger than HHH with ease back in his glory days.

Vote Andre...

A few things that leap out to me here, on either side.

Andre's had wayyy more losses than a lot seem to know; El Canek, Jerry Lawler, Ron Garvin, Killer Kowalski, Harley Race, Antonio Inoki, Don Leo Jonathan, Lou Thesz, Karl Gotch, Strong Kobayashi, The Sheik, Hogan, Warrior multiple times. Even if we scratch the Hogan/Warrior ones, that's not an undefeatable monster. A guy with a very good win/loss for his role, yes. But one that didn't face the main eventers THAT often, with his share of losses when he did.

Secondly; assuming this is prime Vs prime, HHH is working heel and Andre is working face. All agreed? I think you'd struggle to claim that WM3 Andre was his peak despite it being the most exposure he ever gained. So question to the field - has Andre EVER lost to a heel as a face? EVER? All I see is him working heel and losing in the twilight of his career, and him losing face vs face matches usually in his opponents territories. I genuinely don't know the answer to this, maybe someone can help.

Third - I'm getting entirely fed up of this "HHH has never faced a guy like Andre" stuff. There hasn't been anyone in the history of professional wrestling as similar to Andre as The Big Show is, whom HHH has excelled against. Both are 500lb, 7 foot tall, stiff and athletic big men (Wight not so much now but Andre slowed down too). Is Andre better than Big Show? Of course he is. Kayfabe better easily, a far bigger draw and a better worker. But would you say "HHH has never faced a guy as hardcore as Terry Funk" if he had good experience vs Foley? Funk is more hardcore, Foley represents the same enigma. Would you say "he's never faced a guy as stiff as Billington" if he had shined against Benoit? "Never faced someone as manipulative as Flair" if he had handled Edge? You get my point.

So this kinda balances out for me. HHH should be considered one of the greatest ever in kayfabe, even if you dislike him or his politicking in the early 2000s. Those caliber of opponents, Andre has lost to. Plus, HHH has shown he's adept against the type of wrestler he's facing here. However, whenever I imagine this tournament and Andre's run, I see him falling to a HUGE face. Someone like Sammartino, Hogan, Cena. Therefore, I think I'm taking Andre to advance.

It's close though.

Havn't rushed into this one despite learning towards Andre early in thread as seen above. I've considered every view and have been tempted to vote for HHH a few times.

I totally agree with a lot of Hunter supporters - there are plenty of ways he can win here. Shenanigans on outside, he's got NUMEROUS boys that could run interference (Kliq, DX, McMahons, Evolution are just about the biggest set of stables anyone ever amassed). I'm not one to vote based on potential outside interference, but specifically in a match of heel vs 500lb giant, and a heel that won SO often via interference through his career, I think it's fine to entertain the possibility. Especially with only Flair still being in the tournament out of those eleven+ stable members.

I THINK I'll take Andre anyway. HHH has certainly done well against the Big Shows etc, but being outmuscled has always proven a problem. Warrior/Goldberg/Batista were probably the guys that gave him the most trouble in his career.

That, and I'm standing by my point that it'll be a face that ends Andre's run in this tournament. I'm ABSOLUTELY fine with a vote for the Game though, would be a justified winner as well.

This matchup is waaay close... Anyway, Andre' is still the guy to go over here..I am a fan of HHH. He's a 13 time worlds champ, a master professional inside the ropes, and the who's who of opponents he's defeated reads like a professional wrestling Hall of Fame. I love me some HHH, but Andre was the greater pro. I understand all of the arguments for HHH, he IS intelligent, he does have a gaggle of guys to back him up, but in the whole grand sceme of it all, Andre was his superior. Andre was, arguably, the greatest superheavyweight of all time. Andre DID lose more matches than is advertised, but when Andre, did the job it was almost always on foreign soil. A face Andre during his physical peak was rarely defeated in North America. I won't claim that he always scored pinfall victories, because that certainly wasn't the case, but I cannot find evidence that Andre' was forced to job via DQ or countout against prominent heels on a regular basis. I'm not trying to fabricate BS here, if some has the stats I'd love to see them; and this is not being sarcastic, I WOULD like to see this. Education is a good thing. Returning now from my digression, I'll revise my original post about HHH being counted out. Restating my position, there is no way HHH can be denigrated. He is a master pro wrestler , has 13 world titles, and is one of the best the Wrestling business has ever had to offer. At the end of the day though, Andre' the Giant was more impactful, and drew more fans to the arena. If this matchup were for a Worlds heavyweight championship, I could easily see HHH getting the countout victory. Even in victory, HHH will not get pinned by Andre', but i can easily see a DQ loss for the game here. I see Andre' selling for HHH in a big way, the Game beats his ass hard, busts him open, but either by outside interference, or the use of the sledgehammer, HHH loses by DQ. I know in my first post in this thread, I had stated that HHH would lose by countout, but in retrospect, a DQ loss is more likely. Andre' barely moves on past HHH, beaten up and bloodied after the fact by an enraged game, setting up for Andre's loss in the final four.

Vote Andre

It all comes down to one thing for me: does the sledgehammer come into play?

If it does, HHH will get the distractions needed to take out Andre's knees, hit him in the face and never get caught....

If it doesn't: Andre would use his size and power to eventually pull out the win...before most likely being brutalized and decimated after.

So; most likely scenario for me...

Andre dominates HHH, there's a ref bump, HHH pulls out the dirty tricks, it's messy, gory and bloody...but HHH, barely able to move, scores a pin fall victory.

And yes; this vote is probably biased by my age...I know Andre's prime was before I was born

It all comes down to one thing for me: does the sledgehammer come into play?

If it does, HHH will get the distractions needed to take out Andre's knees, hit him in the face and never get caught....

If it doesn't: Andre would use his size and power to eventually pull out the win...before most likely being brutalized and decimated after.

So; most likely scenario for me...

Andre dominates HHH, there's a ref bump, HHH pulls out the dirty tricks, it's messy, gory and bloody...but HHH, barely able to move, scores a pin fall victory.

And yes; this vote is probably biased by my age...I know Andre's prime was before I was born

That is why I voted for Triple H. In his prime, with all the outside interferance he could call upon, he WOULD have found a way to bring the sledgehammer into play. It's a fucking SLEDGEHAMMER. Even a giant isn't going to be able to withstand a shot to the knees with that weapon, and then a brutal shot to the head.

Andre would go down to The Game, and Triple H would roll on to the next round, although he would be suffering the effects of this match for sure.

Vote Trips, or he will marry your girlfriend at a drive through chapel

Come on people, Triple H is down 56-51. It's close but we need more votes to get The Game through to the next round!

[YOUTUBE]8uEsKTjv6co[/YOUTUBE]

Triple H is one of the all-time greats
in pro wrestling. Whether you're ranking technical skill, ring psychology, character depth, his look or ever-important promo ability,
he's a conversation piece in all categories. Despite recent remarks by former Wrestlezone Tourament winner, Bret Hart, Triple H is
without a doubt, Hall of Fame worthy and among the best names in the history of the industry. Not in the top 1,000? My ass...

And here's the obligatory list of accolades:
-WWE/F Champion (8)
-World Heavyweight Champion (5)
-European Champion (2)
-Intercontinental Champion (5)
-Tag Team Champion (Austin- 1, HBK- 2)
-King of the Ring winner (1997)
-Royal Rumble winner (2002)

In case you're keeping track at home, that makes him not only a Triple Crown Champion, but only the second Grand Slam Champion in
WWE history. His non-numeric accolades include being the leader of two of the biggest factions ever - Evolution and Degeneration X.
He's responsible for making the careers of Randy Orton and Batista from a very young age.

The man is the total package. Do the right thing, and give Triple H your vote here. He WOULD find a way to beat Andre The Giant, and he deserves to move on in this tournament. Andre was very good in his prime, and is a very important figure in wrestling history but I do feel like he has been given this almost "god-like" status when in reality Triple H is better in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back