Championship Region, Fifth Round: (1) John Cena vs. (11) Daniel Bryan

Who Wins This Matchup?

• John Cena

• Daniel Bryan

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fifth round match in the Championship Region. It is a standard one on one match, held at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

levis-stadium.jpg

Rules: This is the first round of a three round, one night tournament. Damage taken will carry over to the next round and will be based on the margin and score. For example, if the match is 40-39, it was a back and forth war. If the score was 59-2, it was a squash.

Cena-3.jpg

#1. Steve Austin

Vs.

daniel_bryan_bio_20130430.png

#11. Daniel Bryan

Polls will be open for six days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This is a no-brainer. John Cena is one of the greatests of all-time, a world champion 15 times and has been the top guy in the WWE for over a decade. Daniel Bryan has been little more than an upper midcarder. Could Bryan have been more if not for injuries? Who knows, but it doesn't matter. The fact is Daniel Bryan never came close to reaching the heights of John Cena.

John Cena wins this and wins it easily. And let's face it...it's time John Cena is finally recognized as the WZ Tournament champion.

Daniel Bryan is also the guy who lost to Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt clean. This is a man who has been in the industry a lot longer than both of them and still lost. When has John Cena ever lost clean to someone with a lot less experience in the business since his first world championship win? Bearing in mind, Reigns and Wyatt weren't even widely known when Bryan had won his first world championship. Within a few years, he lost to both of them.

First round of a three match tournament...You know Daniel Bryan's the guy who beat Triple H, then Randy Orton/Batista in one night, right? So for this to be only the FIRST round in a tournament, against a guy that Daniel Bryan pinned completely clean to become the WWE Champion, you're going to hand this one to John Cena? Yeah, gazillion time champ, black man in a white man's body, great wrestler, awful wrestler, whatever he is...I don't see Cena winning this.

Cena beat American Dragon, which was definitely not Bryan's prime. He's also beaten him on an episode of Raw, which was again, not Bryan's prime. What was Bryan's prime was well...the time he happened to beat John Cena for the WWE Championship & the following months after that. To give this match to Cena without thinking about it is beyond me.

If this is the 1st round of a 3 match tournament, Daniel Bryan is most definitely the guy who goes through these three rounds. Yeah, Cena could probably hold his own too, but I just don't see him going over Bryan. No matter how much more successful he's been, this all boils down to two things;

1) Daniel Bryan beat John Cena clean in say...the 3rd most important match in his WWE career (with vs/HHH in 2nd & vs/Orton & Batista in 3rd)

2) He beat Triple H & then went on to win a triple threat in the same night. This gives Daniel at least a showing until the next round, surely.

A match against Cena here may be an important one, but when his top 3 matches all fall in his favour, Daniel Bryan takes my vote.

First round of a three match tournament...You know Daniel Bryan's the guy who beat Triple H, then Randy Orton/Batista in one night, right?

Do victories over all three of those men not count for Cena? Are you also forgetting the impressive victories he's had over names like The Rock, Kurt Angle, JBL, Chris Jericho and CM Punk? How about Brock Lesnar? Or outlasting 29 others in the Royal Rumble, twice?

So for this to be only the FIRST round in a tournament,

No I'm sure this is the fifth round.

Against a guy that Daniel Bryan pinned completely clean to become the WWE Champion

That's one victory. Minutes later he had lost the title, only to get it back about 8 months later, defend it against Kane and then get injured. Almost a year later he won the Intercontinental Championship.

you're going to hand this one to John Cena?

Yeah. The top guy of the company for the past 10 years over a man that has been little more than a midcard superstar. Sounds about right.

Cena beat American Dragon, which was definitely not Bryan's prime. He's also beaten him on an episode of Raw, which was again, not Bryan's prime.

So Bryan wasn't in his best form? Ok.

What was Bryan's prime was well...the time he happened to beat John Cena for the WWE Championship & the following months after that. To give this match to Cena without thinking about it is beyond me.

I don't think Cena was in his best form in this match. Didn't he have surgery right afterwards, return faster than expected and win the World Heavyweight Championship?

I'm with Thrash.

This match has been decided in the ring already. These two have met once in their primes. And it was a huge match. And it was for Cena's world title. And it was the main event of the second biggest show of the year. And what happened? Bryan won. 100% Clean. 1-2-3; Middle of the ring.

And this is just Bryan's first match of the night? In a full dome? Against an all-timer, who made it big long before Bryan himself did and who owns over a dozen world titles? And with a shot to advance on to another match to face other multiple time world champions with an ultimate prize on the line? I think we all know what happened the last time that this scenario presented itself, don't we? YES YES YES

john-cena-daniel-bryan-running-knee-lift.jpg

This is a no-brainer. John Cena is one of the greatests of all-time, a world champion 15 times and has been the top guy in the WWE for over a decade. Daniel Bryan has been little more than an upper midcarder. Could Bryan have been more if not for injuries? Who knows, but it doesn't matter. The fact is Daniel Bryan never came close to reaching the heights of John Cena.

Except for when he beat him, clean, 1-2-3 at the WWE's second biggest show?

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND

Two personalities/character I can appreciate but have never really cared about. When breaking this battle down I have to go with the most well rounded Pro Wrestler/Sports Entertainer. Looking at drawing power and total entertainment value the hands down choice is John Cena.

As a bonus doll baby Nikki crushes dirty hippy Brie.

Two personalities/character I can appreciate but have never really cared about. When breaking this battle down I have to go with the most well rounded Pro Wrestler/Sports Entertainer. Looking at drawing power and total entertainment value the hands down choice is John Cena.

As a bonus doll baby Nikki crushes dirty hippy Brie.

Drawing power is irrelevant. This is a one night tournament, you've already sold your gate and PPV. DVDs will sell themselves since this is a klunderbunker Production.

Vote Bryan just so Cena doesn't have to lose again in the finals. Enough people voted UT over Andre so the precedent is set that a ton of people don't know what they are doing.

Cena beat American Dragon, which was definitely not Bryan's prime. He's also beaten him on an episode of Raw, which was again, not Bryan's prime. What was Bryan's prime was well...the time he happened to beat John Cena for the WWE Championship & the following months after that. To give this match to Cena without thinking about it is beyond me..

So him beating Cena for the title and then losing that title five minutes later constitutes as Bryan being in his prime but he wasn't when Cena beat him just a year earlier after he had won his first world title?

The year before Cena beat Bryan, Daniel was winning the U.S. Title and World Heavyweight Title. The year before Bryan beat Cena, Daniel was in a comedy tag team.

Drawing power is irrelevant. This is a one night tournament, you've already sold your gate and PPV. DVDs will sell themselves since this is a klunderbunker Production.

Vote Bryan just so Cena doesn't have to lose again in the finals. Enough people voted UT over Andre so the precedent is set that a ton of people don't know what they are doing.

Fair enough point. I'm just going with how I feel inside. I like Nikki more than Brie so by extension Cena more than Bryan. Keeping my vote Cena.

Daniel Bryan has beaten John Cena in his prime cleanly, one of the few wrestlers to do so and I think that speaks for itself. Daniel Bryan should go over here.

So...Daniel Bryan beats a severely injured probably near the end of his prime Cena once, and then loses the title in a shorter period of time than it takes your average person to *********e, and we should put him over Juan Cena?

I'm gonna throw this out there, and I'm probably gonna get yelled at and called a big stupid idiot, but whatever.

John Cena is a way better professional wrestler than Daniel Bryan, and it's not even close.

Vote Cena or Die.

Its been Cena's prime for 10 years now.And he has made a habit of continuously losing to the upcoming babyface, whilst his stardom remains unblemished.

Yes, thius match has been decided in the ring and Cena is the one who lost. D Bry lucked out here; This goes down the same way it did at SSlam 2013

Do victories over all three of those men not count for Cena? Are you also forgetting the impressive victories he's had over names like The Rock, Kurt Angle, JBL, Chris Jericho and CM Punk? How about Brock Lesnar? Or outlasting 29 others in the Royal Rumble, twice?

No, I'm not putting that past Cena at all. But while we can think about those impressive victories that Cena has had, I could also point out that Bryan never had the chance some of those men. I'm sure however, if he was to take on Kurt Angle, he'd go over. JBL? Not really the most impressive victory...longest reigning WHC he may be, but he was always there to put someone over.

No I'm sure this is the fifth round.

You misinterpret. It's the first round of the three match tournament. It may be the 5th round of the WZ Tournament, but Round 5 marks Round 1 of a 3 Match Tournament inside of the WZ Tournament. Does that make sense to you or should I repeat it?

But, Bryan has beaten Triple H, then gone on to win the WWEWHC in the same night. In this tournament, the next 3 rounds take place in one night. It's written here that Bryan will move to at least the next round.

That's one victory. Minutes later he had lost the title, only to get it back about 8 months later, defend it against Kane and then get injured. Almost a year later he won the Intercontinental Championship.

One victory...funnily enough against John Cena. What a coincidence. This gives nothing to why he wouldn't beat Cena. What people aren't grasping here is the fact this is all over one night now. So Bryan might get injured 8 months down the line again. This is ONE NIGHT. Bryan can beat Cena.

Yeah. The top guy of the company for the past 10 years over a man that has been little more than a midcard superstar. Sounds about right.

To you.
So Bryan wasn't in his best form? Ok.

It was the "first" time Daniel Bryan faced John Cena. He hadn't reached the big point in his career yet, but the next time he faced Cena, he beat him. Didn't take long to figure him out, hey?

I don't think Cena was in his best form in this match. Didn't he have surgery right afterwards, return faster than expected and win the World Heavyweight Championship?

And then get battered by Brock Lesnar? Lesnar beat Cena, Bryan beat Cena. He'll put Bryan over again, it's not going to do anything to his career.

Looking at the records on cagematch.net, it appears that John Cena and Daniel Bryan have faced each other on 9 occasions, with each man winning on 4 occasions with 1 draw. That surprised me, I would have expected more matches between the two (unless these records aren't complete).

Even though DB managed to win 2 matches in one night at WrestleMania 30, if we are looking at wrestlers at their absolute primes I just don't see John "Superman" Cena going out in the first match of a 1-night KOTR style tournament. This is exactly the sort of match he'd look like he was losing, but would eventually win due to the AA.

I think whoever advances here will be carrying quite a bit of damage into Round 2, but I am leaning towards Cena in this. Bryan will push him close though, but The Dr Of Thuganomics will scrape through.

It's so telling when Bryan supporters have NO other arguments besides one match. Just ignore the fact Cena has had more great matches, was easily a bigger draw, was easily a bigger superstar and has defeated Bryan in several matches...it's all about one match where Bryan won a title he couldn't keep for more than five minutes.

John Cena is a better wrestler, better on the mic, has had more great matches, has drawn WAAAY more money and was a bigger superstar and did it much longer than Bryan. This match should be a squash.
Cena beat American Dragon, which was definitely not Bryan's prime. He's also beaten him on an episode of Raw, which was again, not Bryan's prime. What was Bryan's prime was well...the time he happened to beat John Cena for the WWE Championship & the following months after that. To give this match to Cena without thinking about it is beyond me.
So all the times Daniel Bryan lost to Cena should be ignored because "it wasn't his prime", but apparently when Cena lost a match to Bryan it was Cena's prime?

Yeah, NO problems with logic there at all. :rolleyes:

If this is the 1st round of a 3 match tournament, Daniel Bryan is most definitely the guy who goes through these three rounds. Yeah, Cena could probably hold his own too, but I just don't see him going over Bryan. No matter how much more successful he's been, this all boils down to two things;
:lmao:

I could be wrong, but it REALLY looks like you're trying to argue Bryan wins this match because he could win the next two matches. Please tell me you have better logic than this. Because, if this is indeed your argument, it's one of the stupidest I've ever seen in the WZ Tournament. And that's saying something in a tournament where a wrestler lost because he never painted his shed.

Doesn't Daniel Bryan in his prime have a win over Cena?
Not over Cena in his prime.

The Daniel Bryan arguments have already started in full force ridiculousness. John Cena has numerous victories over Daniel Bryan, but we ignore all of them because of ONE match after Cena has begun stepping out of the major spotlight.

Complete and total lack of logic being displayed thus far by Bryan supporters. Which isn't surprising since there really isn't a lot of valid arguments to be made for Bryan.
Except for when he beat him, clean, 1-2-3 at the WWE's second biggest show?

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND
One match after Cena had already begun stepping down in stature. Upsets happen, but it does mean the underdog is the better man/team.

For example, if Duke and Lehigh were to play a game of basketball tomorrow, would you give the advantage to Lehigh? I doubt it.

So...Daniel Bryan beats a severely injured probably near the end of his prime Cena once, and then loses the title in a shorter period of time than it takes your average person to *********e, and we should put him over Juan Cena?

I'm gonna throw this out there, and I'm probably gonna get yelled at and called a big stupid idiot, but whatever.

John Cena is a way better professional wrestler than Daniel Bryan, and it's not even close.

Vote Cena or Die.
Everything you said here is exactly correct. It's humorous how much value some people are putting in one match, as if that erases the enormous difference between the greatness achieved by Cena compared to Bryan.

Yes, thius match has been decided in the ring
Only if you ignore the other matches they have.

Logic is not strong in this thread from Bryan supporters.

No, I'm not putting that past Cena at all. But while we can think about those impressive victories that Cena has had, I could also point out that Bryan never had the chance some of those men. I'm sure however, if he was to take on Kurt Angle, he'd go over.

It's not about whether he could or he would. The fact of the matter is that Daniel Bryan hasn't beaten an extensive list of top WWE Superstars like John Cena has. Not to mention that Bryan has lost to Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt clean.

JBL? Not really the most impressive victory...

Oh?

longest reigning WHC

But it is fairly impressive.

You misinterpret. It's the first round of the three match tournament. It may be the 5th round of the WZ Tournament, but Round 5 marks Round 1 of a 3 Match Tournament inside of the WZ Tournament.

There we go, much better.

But, Bryan has beaten Triple H, then gone on to win the WWEWHC in the same night. In this tournament, the next 3 rounds take place in one night. It's written here that Bryan will move to at least the next round.

John Cena has been in a gauntlet match before where he pinned more than 3 superstars. Does that mean Cena certainly wins this whole tournament?

One victory...funnily enough against John Cena.

As I said.

So Bryan might get injured 8 months down the line again. This is ONE NIGHT.

During the match perhaps?

Bryan can beat Cena.

Cena can beat Bryan.

What do you mean to me? It's true. Cena has been the face of the company for 10 years and Bryan has been little more than a midcard superstar.

And then get battered by Brock Lesnar? Lesnar beat Cena, Bryan beat Cena.

Well to be fair, Cena was well on his way to beating Lesnar at Night Of Champions. Had Seth Rollins not interfered, you can make a strong argument that Cena would have gotten the pin after the fourth Attitude Adjustment.

He'll put Bryan over again,

Says who?

Are we giving Cena extra credit this year for adjusting the moves of doom? Can I take points away for him having an annoying theme song? Does Bryan get points for taking down that robber? What about Cena getting away with murder? What about Bryan being smart enough to pick the less annoying Bella? Decisions, decisions...

On one hand we have the WWE poster boy for the last decade who sells tons of brightly colored t-shirts for the kids, but is loathed by just as many fans as there are who cheer him. At times it seems they book him to win for the lulz to troll his detractors because Vince cares not about who is booing Cena as long as parents shell out the dollars for his merch. Which is all well and good from a business standpoint, but the "LOL Cena wins" thing has gotten a bit annoying. I do give him credit though for embracing the bad with the good & still giving 100%. He has the mic skill and charisma factor down & that is part of what being a great sports entertainer is about. He deserves respect regardless if you like his character or not & certainly has put in the work to earn it.

On the other hand we have a great pro-wrestler. A guy who has done a lot more than people give him credit for- before ever stepping into the WWE & he did it all with his ring talent despite not having 'the look' of a typical wrestler (big, strong, etc). Bryan was given a shot & has had a strong positive following since being in the WWE. Has Cena ever had an entire arena full of people chanting for him in unison? Well, technically he has, but the ECW 'Cena wins we riot' reaction wasnt exactly a positive thing- now was it...

I cannot fault anyone who votes Cena based on him being the #1 guy for so long & how much money he draws in merch, etc. You cannot deny those things & if that is what you base it on, then more power to you. I will be voting Bryan based on the fact that as a whole, I enjoy his work more & he has a huge victory over Cena with the title on the line at an important PPV. To my knowledge people have never really backed Cena like they have with DB. Cena may have longevity on his side, but the crowd reaction has always seemed to be split down the middle, whereas Bryan's has not. Fans fucking love this guy & the crowd reactions\chants prove it. I respect Cena, but cannot remember a time that I was excited to see him return or win a big match like I have been for Bryan.

I am taking the guy who I find generally more entertaining, has better ring skill & a clean title victory over the WWE's neon colored poster boy which started a movement that culminated with one of the best Wrestlemania moments ever.

Are we giving Cena extra credit this year for adjusting the moves of doom? Can I take points away for him having an annoying theme song? Does Bryan get points for taking down that robber? What about Cena getting away with murder? What about Bryan being smart enough to pick the less annoying Bella? Decisions, decisions...

On one hand we have the WWE poster boy for the last decade who sells tons of brightly colored t-shirts for the kids, but is loathed by just as many fans as there are who cheer him. At times it seems they book him to win for the lulz to troll his detractors because Vince cares not about who is booing Cena as long as parents shell out the dollars for his merch. Which is all well and good from a business standpoint, but the "LOL Cena wins" thing has gotten a bit annoying. I do give him credit though for embracing the bad with the good & still giving 100%. He has the mic skill and charisma factor down & that is part of what being a great sports entertainer is about. He deserves respect regardless if you like his character or not & certainly has put in the work to earn it.

On the other hand we have a great pro-wrestler.
Actually, that's not the other hand. John Cena is one of the greatest pro wrestlers ever and I'm referring to his ring work.

Has Cena ever had an entire arena full of people chanting for him in unison?
Yes.

Well, technically he has, but the ECW 'Cena wins we riot' reaction wasnt exactly a positive thing- now was it...
Ignoring the entire arena cheering for him many times, who cares if they boo or cheer him? They have cared far more about Cena than they ever did about Bryan.

I cannot fault anyone who votes Cena based on him being the #1 guy for so long & how much money he draws in merch, etc.
And because he's the better wrestler. Don't forget that.

Fair enough point. I'm just going with how I feel inside.

I took a great dump this morning so I am feeling very empty inside. Fortunately it is Wing Bar day at our office cafeteria so that will be taken care of soon enough. By the way, as great as the dump was it still smelled like this tournament.

I like Nikki more than Brie so by extension Cena more than Bryan. Keeping my vote Cena.

Your "his significant other has larger boobs" argument is the best Cena related argument I've heard so far. I may have to take this in to consideration and change my vote from Austin to Lesnar.

What lady's life is Bret Hart making miserable nowadays? Can't be any hotter than that Amazon HBK married and Jericho punched.

I wish I had enough time to reply to all the pro-Cena quotes but I hope someone else flies Bryans flags.

This has been based on who has got the bigger legacy and yes Cena wins by miles and miles.

But I have one question, you see Brock in this year's WZT?

This is all based on his last year, one fucking year where he lost at Mania. And that is is his prime that is being touted and that is what is squashing Austin in that thread,

Do not just give into the Cena legacy thing

In D Bry's prime which was 2013-14 he beat Cena clean, beat Triple H clean then beat Orton and Batista after fighting off a stretcher in the ME of Wrestlemania 30!

In prime Vs prime Cena LOSES because thats what Cena does. Cena always wins against the top heels but against top baby faces be it Batista or Punk or Bryan I repeat

CENA LOSES

Put up some fight people and make this prime Vs prime!

Hey Sly,

I don't see anyway Brock Lesnar doesn't win this. Steve Austin, even in his prime, had an incredibly weak neck...how is that neck going to fare when a 300 pound behemoth is suplexing him 16 times in a match? Throw in the fact that it's a well known fact** Steve Austin was terrified of wrestling Lesnar, to the point where Austin literally ran away from a show, and there's really no arguing Brock Lesnar will win this.

Brock Lesnar moves on and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a squash over the 3 time WZ Tournament winner.

I see your mostly basing your decision on Austin's weak neck not being able to withstand 16 German Suplexes, you know, the thing that Brock Lesnar did last year?

The Daniel Bryan voters are basing this vote on the fact he beat John Cena...oh & Triple H, Randy Orton & Batista too. All clean by the way. I do like that you're putting Lesnar over Austin, I'd vote the same way because well, Brock Lesnar has been so dominant recently that you'd just HAVE to put him over Austin in every way, shape & form right? Does this mean Brock Lesnar's prime is/was the last year?

Funny that...because that's what we're voting for Bryan for. Not the last year per se, but a specific period of time where without a doubt, Daniel Bryan would've beaten John Cena. This year, in the WZT, he can/will do it again.

If we're all saying that Lesnar would win because of who he's beaten over the last year, I think we can do the same with D-Bry. It makes no difference if Cena is good on the mic, or has a great crowd reaction (though the Yes! movement was pretty fun wasn't it?), as that doesn't win you matches. What wins matches is your ability to beat your opponent. Whether they're at their best or worst, if you have the capability to defeat your opponent, you will win. It's simple.

So, just like he has done before...Daniel Bryan will hit Cena with the Knee Plus (it's a cool name), then move on to the next round. Shame the next round isn't a triple threat, huh?

**The double use of "fact" really kills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back