Chad Ocho Cinco

Frank the Frowner

Getting Noticed By Management
The Cincinnati Bengals receiver has legally changed his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco in Broward County, Fla., a switch that became official this week. Johnson, who lives in Miami, didn't return a message left on his cell phone Friday night.

"It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before," he told the team's Web site. "Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun."

Two years ago, Johnson gave himself the moniker -- a reference in Spanish to his No. 85 -- and put it on the back of his uniform before a game. Quarterback Carson Palmer ripped it off before the kickoff. After the season, coach Marvin Lewis -- who dislikes Johnson's attention-getting stunts -- referred to the receiver as "Ocho Psycho."

He pretty much did this so he could have "Ocho Cinco" on the back of his uniform with no penalty from the NFL.

I hope he gets traded to the Lions or the Rams... both teams have number 85 retired.

Gotta say, being in Cincy, this is fucking funny. Catch a ball is all I care about. He said he did it because he saw how many Bret Favre jersey's were sold when it went to the Jets. He changed his name because "everyone has a Chad Johnson jersey" but now they'll have to buy a new Ocho Cinco jersey to keep up.

He pretty much did this so he could have "Ocho Cinco" on the back of his uniform with no penalty from the NFL.

I hope he gets traded to the Lions or the Rams... both teams have number 85 retired.

It's a mistake. Did my contest teach you people nothing? There can be more than one person named Chad Johnson.

Gotta say, being in Cincy, this is fucking funny. Catch a ball is all I care about. He said he did it because he saw how many Bret Favre jersey's were sold when it went to the Jets. He changed his name because "everyone has a Chad Johnson jersey" but now they'll have to buy a new Ocho Cinco jersey to keep up.

Originally I thought back to when he was fined and figured he just did it to A.) Get more media time.. and B.) Get back at the league to the point at mocking them for not being able to fine him. (although it'd be hilarious if they said he'd have to change his number)

But Shocky brought up a very great point. Whatever Chad's silly reasoning behind it was.. the fact is he makes money off his jersey selling, and Chad has sold a lot of jerseys. HOWEVER, if he changed his name.. especially to this.. it's a marketing gold mine. About as much as people rushing to by an "I'ma testicle" shirt.. or a "D-X reunion" shirt.

People will rush to buy the new jersey, because Johnson could be their favorite.. or for no other reason than the name alone.

Stupid or not.. it's genius regarding making money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back