Cesaro getting huge face push, more details on Brock/Cesaro

TheOneAndOnlyGOAT

Championship Contender
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

It's interesting that WWE is handing out the "Cesaro section" signs to fans in the crowd even though Cesaro's supposed to be a heel.
The plan is to create the idea that the fans want Cesaro turned while he stays with Paul Heyman and doesn't actually turn, all while giving the impression that there is a groundswell on turning him babyface.
Basically they are trying to create a Daniel Bryan situation on their own this time. There's been speculation that this will lead to a Cesaro vs. Brock Lesnar match.

I think they'll do Brock vs Cesaro at SummerSlam with Brock going over to set up Brock-Rock at WM31, just my opinion, don't hate.

It's very hard to recreate what happened with Bryan, especially with a planted section of signs, if anything fans will rebel against it just to be difficult, so maybe Cesaro is the WWE equivalent of a triple agent and it's really a long way around getting him heat! :D

I'm all for Brock vs Cesaro but even without going into your obsession with The Rock I don't see any point in going to the trouble of getting Cesaro so mega over that the crowd feel like they have turned him, and then after you reach a position where WWE brass feel the match with Brock is worth booking you have the "WWE Universe's choice" lose. Illogical booking IMO.

It's interesting that WWE is handing out the "Cesaro section" signs to fans in the crowd even though Cesaro's supposed to be a heel

It's a matter of WWE reversing course on a program and having to get fans to adapt to the change. In this case, Cesaro seemed well on the way to face-dom a short while back when the Real Americans seemed to be breaking up. He and Swagger were openly at odds during matches, and with Cesaro shaking his head and smiling in wry fashion at Zeb Colter's directives, it appeared clear which player was turning good guy.

For whatever reason, they decided to have the team reconcile, but even as they flew the heel route again, it seemed easy to surmise that Cesaro wasn't fully buying into the group's old ways. Still, how often can you change a team's direction in a short amount of time? I know I was confused as to what Cesaro was going to do next, and WWE apparently decided they needed to push the fans in the direction they wanted us to go.

Hence, Cesaro babyface signs even as he's managed by Paul Heyman. I find it different and interesting: How often have we seen heel managers representing face wrestlers? (or vice-versa?) Not often, that's for sure.

If the whole plan is to make us guess which player (Cesaro or Heyman) will switch to the other side first, it could be a hell of a program.

Cesaro is as natural a pro wrestler as you'll find anywhere, it only makes sense to have him front and center. He's had insanely good matches with Cena, Orton, and Big E recently; it was only a matter of time before he either moved up or the fans started forcing the issue like we did with Bryan.

I know it's our nature to instantly hate whatever the WWE pushes on us, but there's little reason to shit on Cesaro. Sign me up for the "Swing Movement" or "Cesaro Movement" or whatever the hell they want to call it.

I don't feel like it's going out on a limb saying that Lesnar/Cesaro is going to be one of the best matches ever booked. I believe it'll steal the show no matter what's on the card and will likely be 2014's match of the year. Prove me wrong, WWE.

Not going to work. You want to have him be a babyface, force something that was originally made organically, then keep him with the most hated non-wrestling character in the WWE?

This is going to fail miserably.

This shows the WWE desperately needs an over face manager badly.

Out of all the new stars that WWE can build as the face of this next generation, Cesaro is the best choice. Although he isn't far along enough as a character and should work on the promo work, he is insanely over with the audience and his ring work is simply flawless. He is a very strong guy for his size and he can do things guys like Kane and Big Show never could strength-wise. One good thing that can come of Brock Lesnar ending the streak would be Lesnar losing to Cesaro. They need to build it up very massively so that Cesaro looks like the next freak of nature like they did with Brock back in 2002. I'd like to see Cesaro claim he's the only "Heyman guy" that Paul needs and that Lesnar is never there. The fans would eat that up, especially the smart fans because there is an element of truth in it and Cesaro would come off as a babyface for telling both us and Heyman the truth.

Honestly, I believe Cesaro is the next big thing for WWE if he can put the pieces together and become a big character personality. Once he exudes that confidence and combines that with the whole freak of nature strength thing he has going for him, you have all the makings of the next top face of WWE.

I am not opposed to the Cesaro push because IMO he is one of the best talents on the roster. Someone earlier in this thread said that the "WWE is forcing us to like him", and I think that is the total opposite. I think the people like him cause he goes out and puts on 4-5 star matches. And the reason WWE Universe rebel against certain Wrestlers (Cough, Cena, Cough, Cough) is because they are tired of the same ole crap they have been fed for 12 years. They like characters that bring great matches and entertain in the ring. With Cesaro the fans are reconizing that they have a star on their hands, which is why they cheer for him.

Now I will say this, Having him be "A Paul Heyman Guy" right after mania was a bad idea. Even though I think Heyman is a FANTASTIC manager, the likes we havent seen since Bobby Heenan. Heyman is riding the highs of one of the biggest upsets in Wrestling history. And this past Raw he completely overshadowed Cesaro with Lesnar bombs all over everyone for a good 10 minutes. Then he introduced Cesaro and that was "it". Completely deflating the entrance.

Now I thought Cesaro not having music was pretty cool. Almost like saying "I dont need music or an entrance theme to show Im a baddass" It was actually very fresh and I hope they continue it next week.

I don't think WWE will be able to purposely pull off another Daniel Bryan type of movement. Part of what's made Bryan such a phenom is that fans rallied around him on their own, they made the decision to put their interests in them and they let WWE know how they felt about how the company was using him. It's not something that can be manufactured at will. The Four Horsemen weren't created via some strategy planned out in the booking office, it just happened at the right time and the right place exactly like Hulk Hogan was.

As far as a potential Cesaro vs. Lesnar situation, earlier reports suggested that there's talk of this match taking place at WrestleMania XXXI, though take it for what it's worth. I'll be extremely surprised to see Cesaro vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam, it's gonna take time to build Cesaro onto a top level guy and I just don't see him being on that level of stardom in 4 months. That's especially true if Cesaro winds up winning the Intercontinental Championship in the near future. MAYBE Cesaro will be at that level by the time WrestleMania season comes around. Given that WWE has used Brock Lesnar in programs featuring the top guys on the roster, I simply don't see them wasting a Lesnar match on a mid-card champion.

Now I thought Cesaro not having music was pretty cool. Almost like saying "I dont need music or an entrance theme to show Im a baddass" It was actually very fresh and I hope they continue it next week.

I actually think the lack of music feels more like "I'm so unimportant they don't bother to give me music." Because you know who else didn't get entrance music? Those local jobbers Ryback was squashing during his face run. And we didn't expect them to get themes since they weren't important enough to get them. Obviously Cesaro is different, he's one of the best wrestlers on the roster and is due for a big push(if the article is true), he shouldn't be getting the same treatment given to guys that won't be seen again after their squash match is done.

So here's hoping he gets some music again really soon

I actually think the lack of music feels more like "I'm so unimportant they don't bother to give me music." Because you know who else didn't get entrance music? Those local jobbers Ryback was squashing during his face run. And we didn't expect them to get themes since they weren't important enough to get them. Obviously Cesaro is different, he's one of the best wrestlers on the roster and is due for a big push(if the article is true), he shouldn't be getting the same treatment given to guys that won't be seen again after their squash match is done.

So here's hoping he gets some music again really soon

It was reported today, if I'm not mistaken, that they have just not found him a new theme yet.

It was said that there are no faces or heels anymore, so I think pairing Cesaro with him Heyman was a good idea. Him being associated with Heyman can only get him over more, as Heyman is the most recognized manager in the WWE today.

Of course its natural for us to hate what said wrestler the WWE tries to push on us.. Daniel Bryan,is unique.. What made him or makes him special is us the audience decided to rally around this guy,since day one.. We feel or at least I do,he is one of us,we see ourselves in Daniel Bryan. Just an average guy who isn't supposed to be world champion but arguably is the best in the world right now..

I dont think were going to hate Cesaro,a lot of people already like Cesaro... But as far as getting him ready for Summerslam to face Brock,its a little soon IMO.. Brock just beat the streak and for right now Cesaro,is not the right fit.. I think its a given though that Antonio will face Big E for the IC strap.

Cesaro is the kind of guy,that can make the title relevant again.. Make it mean something again. I can though see Cesaro face Brock at Royal Rumble i just think in 4 months they cant build Cesaro into a legitimate threat against Brock..

Summer Slam might be too early for Cesaro and Lesnar, I say Cesaro needs moer than 4 months to build him up in the upper mid card level. However should he win the IC Championship and have some high profile feuds with the title with the likes of Ziggler, Swagger, Del Rio, or Big Show. I can see Lesnar/Cesaro happen by Survivor Series, which could help Buy Rates for the big 4 PPV that's been struggling in recent years.

I don't see the speculation, or the impression, that this will lead to a Cesaro face push.

In order for WWE to create another Daniel Bryan like situation, they'ld need a face with an organic connection to the fans. That's what Daniel Bryan has that few others do. While Cesaro has made an impression on the fans due to his swing and his strength, he's yet to really do anything to get the fans behind him, rallying for a push. The idea that handing out signs could create a push for Cesaro is essentially telling the fans who they should cheer for. When I say Bryan's connection was organic, I mean that the fans were the ones who essentially dictated the terms. They told WWE, of their own volition, that they wanted to see him pushed. And they responded to his push-and at a time, lack thereof- in their own unique way.

I honestly thought all of this would lead up to Cesaro winning the IC tournament, and Heyman being able to boast that he's created two out of the last three IC Champs. Cesaro takes exception, turns away from Heyman, and is 'punished' by Paul in the same fashion that CM Punk was. He has to deal with Heyman's beast, Brock Lesnar.

The fact that Cesaro is even being considered for a match with Lesnar is a huge honor for him, but we'll see how that goes. I think fans have rallied behind him and his wrestling abilities. I think fans love to see the swing, and they love to see him hit the Nuetralizer on men much bigger than him. But that they're even close to invested in him the way they are in Daniel Bryan? There's nothing WWE can do to force the fans hands. They can push him as far as they'ld like, but the fans themselves will dictate what they want to see.

As for a match with Lesnar, the fans are going to have to get behind Cesaro in a major way in order for that to happen. In taking a look at Lesnar's opponents since returning, you've got John Cena, HHH(thrice), CM Punk, Big Show, and The Undertaker. Other then Show, those are all top-of-the-card type of guys, and Lesnar dispatched with Show in less then 4 minutes. I'd argue that his match with Show was nothing more then a show of dominance by lesnar to make him look like a threat to the streak.

Turns out he was.

To even consider Cesaro as a possible opponent for Lesnar, he'ld need a mega-push along the lines of winning the WWE World Championship, without Heyman by his side. Further, the fans would have to embrace Cesaro winning the championship, and moreso, they'ld need to be angry to see him lose it. Perhaps in a screwjob regarding Heyman and Lesnar. Something that would infuriate the fans enough that they'ld want to see Cesaro get his hands on Lesnar at WM 31, in fact. Right now, WWE has plenty of time for that, however.

It's almost a year until WM 31, so taking it slow with Cesaro would be the best approach. Have him win the IC title, and progress with Heyman by his side. However, just as they did with Punk, have Heyman overshadow him and take credit for his success. If he snaps- like Bryan did on Bray Wyatt - and the fans respond favorably, then consider giving him that huge push to be Lesnar's opponent.

The problem with Cesaro is this: He's not shown decent mic skills, and he doesn't have much charisma, either. He was able to get over being paired with Zeb Colter, who is gold on the mic. Then he was given some long matches against great opponents, and either held his own(John Cena), or flat-out beat them(Randy Orton). The swing has also been a big factor in getting him over, especially since he's begun wrestling like a face.

But he's going to need more then that. Especially once he breaks free from Paul Heyman. He's going to see he can hang on the mic....and that the fans can get behind him as well.

First stop, I believe? Winning the IC Tournament and then, the championship from Big E. Let's see how the fans react to that.

If they want to give Cesaro a really good push as a babyface, have Heyman slowly be the bad guy who treats his client like crap. Much like Colter did, but at a longer stretch. It doesn't have to be something that stands out. Maybe something small at first.

This is really the only way you'll get fans to get behind the guy. To have him turn on Heyman. But the guy has to get comfortable on the mic. And that I just don't see.

I like Cesaro. His charisma is organic. Some many can't pull off. It doesn't come off as fake. He has that in his corner. But being able to pull off what the WWE wants is going to be a huge task.

If someone gave me one of those Cesaro signs, I'd rip it up.

It was reported today, if I'm not mistaken, that they have just not found him a new theme yet.

It's the same thing with Cesaro as it was with R-Truth. He didn't have a new theme song until like 2 or 3 weeks after his heel turn. Same with Cesaro, he just sided with Heyman and has been dubbed "The King of Swing" so I'm sure the "creative" people are racking their brains trying to come up with something catchy. I was tired of hearing that Real American theme music anyway.

Meltzer hasn't "gotten" wrestling in a good 15-20 years. WWE just books guys. "heel" and "face" doesn't matter so much in actions as it does the reaction. We The People were basically babyfaces in many cities, especially Cesaro. He is what he is and people cheer him. It's not that difficult. Besides, doesn't Meltzer have another fales Sting siding to report?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back